Microsoft Dropping Unlimited OneDrive Storage

Pathetic, but not surprising. I knew that going from Windows as a product to Windows as spyware and software toll booth would impact their ability to provide these sort of services. Users are the product now.

The incompetence of this company is staggering.

I'm not sure what everyone is bitching and moaning about... MS is not rolling back everyone's storage... there are some roll backs and changes but in some cases things will stay the same... If you have a windows phone and were given say 10 -15gb of data backup storage for your phone that stays the same... if you have loyalty storage that stays , if you have an old skydrive 15gb plan that stays and it you have all of the above then you get all of that combined...
MS screwed up , they should never had offered unlimited ...
my plan looks like this...
Your plan
<Free> 15 GB
Your additional storage
Referral bonus (0% achieved) 0 GB
<free>Loyalty bonus 10 GB
Office 365 subscription 1,024 GB
<free> Camera roll bonus 15 GB
1,064 GB total Current plan

You may want to go re-read the actual changes, because you're in for a rude awakening if that's your understanding. Camera roll bonus = bye bye. Free = 5GB, not 15GB. Loyatyl bonus = bye bye. Changes just haven't taken effect yet, so the "your plan" screen values are temporary.

If you need a backup solution, check out CrashPlan.

ya but its soooooooo slow... I tried their paid service and it was going to take like 3 months to backup my workstation...

It'd be really odd to as a like end user to need more than like 4GB of storage space anyhow. I think pretty much everything I care about in documents, photos, and music would fit into 4GB though I'd feel better with more like 8GB.

Anywho, whatever Microsoft. Cut back all you want. My stuff stays on my own computers and in like a thumb drive or two as backup. I really see no need to try to shove a whole buncha data up some stupid internet connection only to have to wait for it to be accessible and expose it to Microsoft's creeping around looking in my unpublished novels and pics of my kitty.

irony is strong here... but ok, anyway, my photos directory is >1TB (I shoot a DSLR in RAW+JPEG)... I think a couple people on the planet have purchased those...

If you shoot raw images, a single day of pictures could easily be more than 5 GB. My Flash cards are 32gb

exactly

ya but its soooooooo slow... I tried their paid service and it was going to take like 3 months to backup my workstation...

irony is strong here... but ok, anyway, my photos directory is >1TB (I shoot a DSLR in RAW+JPEG)... I think a couple people on the planet have purchased those...

exactly

You have >1TB and complain about slow back up? Expectations... I would hope crashplan does deltas so after that first hump should be better.

For photos you want a back up, not cloud unless you edit heavily.

Back up services is to archive data (which photos generally are), cloud is not the best solution for that. What if you corrupt files or get ransomware encryption etc. Cloud will sync your borked files to your "back up" and you will basically be screwed. Some services like Google Drive allow you to revert to previous versions but last I checked this was a file at a time process. Back up services have many options to recover and in bulk.

Could a cloud storage services offer better version/recovery options and make it a viable back up solution? Sure the tech is there, you also just have to account your comfort level of risk vs performance vs ease of use etc.

Doesn't affect me to much. I think I have around 200mb in it. Same for Google, only a few hundred mb. I only use these for a few documents I want universal access too.

If you shoot raw images, a single day of pictures could easily be more than 5 GB. My Flash cards are 32gb

It sounds like you have the worst camera on the planet if it wastes that much space just snapping a few photos in a stupid raw format. I usually take the JPEGs that my camera takes and then open them in MS Paint. Once you reduce their sizes by 50% to make them usable (even at the lowest resolution setting on my camera, the images are waaay to big to see without zooming out or scrolling around on my netbook which makes them pretty much useless for any practical purposes), MS Paint's compression further decreases the file size to a few hundred KB. You could save tons more images in a much smaller space just by buying a better camera and being smarter about how you save your final images.

20GB (bonuses, etc) was enough for me on the free tier...

Nerf that, I'm switching to Google Drive. Helps that my alma mater lets us keep our email address and associated benefits essentially forever with a truly unlimited Google Apps subscription.

I'm a OneDrive fan, but I guess I'll be switching to google.

Wrong wrong wrong
ugg half of my stuff did not paste through leaving half here and half not here... :{ DD'oh! sheesh . So ignore my earlier post :|

So you realize that you are completely wrong and now understand why we are upset?

I currently have 15GB free, 15GB camera roll bonus, 100GB Bing bonus. However come these changes I will have 5GB instead of my current 130GB.

does this affect OneDrive for Business? We're just in the process of rolling people's H drive to it.

My guess is that their using Windows 10 as a funnel into OneDrive is working, more users are signing up and using it, and the storage demands are outpacing their ability to keep up with adding new storage, at least in the short term.

So you realize that you are completely wrong and now understand why we are upset?

I currently have 15GB free, 15GB camera roll bonus, 100GB Bing bonus. However come these changes I will have 5GB instead of my current 130GB.

^ This is exactly correct.

Personally I have about 9TB on CrashPlan.

I hope I never have to use it, because the restore would probably take forever.

That data includes my documents folder, my DSLR photography folder, OS disk image backups (compressed of course) for key systems, game downloads that can't just be easily replaced through steam, and yes, my media folder as well. I have a lot of time invested in ripping some DVD's, buying others, renaming and sorting folders, etc. and I don't want to lose all of that.

It also turns around and backs up the time machine folders for my Fiance's Mac, and all her documents.

Sometimes when I travel, I also have a security camera set up. Videos from this camera are also backed up, as it would suck if you needed the videos and the storage media was stolen :p

The only thing on my NAS I have excluded from my backups are my MythTV DVR recordings, as they are huge, and not that valuable to me, and my Downloads folder, as it mostly contains stuff I can just redownload (Ubuntu ISO's, drivers, etc)

does this affect OneDrive for Business? We're just in the process of rolling people's H drive to it.

OneDrive for Business isn't part of this change. The company I work for is looking to do the same thing as yours. Its a lot easier to get users to adopt OneDrive at work when it's also attractive to use in their personal life. I was a big fan of OneDrive prior to this announcement. Not sure if it makes sense for anyone other than people deeply invested in the Microsoft ecosystem.

Pathetic, but not surprising. I knew that going from Windows as a product to Windows as spyware and software toll booth would impact their ability to provide these sort of services. Users are the product now.

The incompetence of this company is staggering.

I think it's a bit too much of a decrease on the free side, but honestly, I don't think it'll affect most people and those on here that it does, can probably use copy.com (I have 20 or 25GB), box (50GB) or Spideroak (11GB for me). There's so many free choices for cloud file sharing, if I used onedrive, I'd just pack up my files and move to a free alternative.

You have >1TB and complain about slow back up? Expectations... I would hope crashplan does deltas so after that first hump should be better.

For photos you want a back up, not cloud unless you edit heavily.

Back up services is to archive data (which photos generally are), cloud is not the best solution for that. What if you corrupt files or get ransomware encryption etc. Cloud will sync your borked files to your "back up" and you will basically be screwed. Some services like Google Drive allow you to revert to previous versions but last I checked this was a file at a time process. Back up services have many options to recover and in bulk.

Could a cloud storage services offer better version/recovery options and make it a viable back up solution? Sure the tech is there, you also just have to account your comfort level of risk vs performance vs ease of use etc.

Months to backup 1 TB? I'm going to give crashplan a try, but if it takes that long to backup data, it's too much. Maybe Acronis is better.

It sounds like you have the worst camera on the planet if it wastes that much space just snapping a few photos in a stupid raw format. I usually take the JPEGs that my camera takes and then open them in MS Paint. Once you reduce their sizes by 50% to make them usable (even at the lowest resolution setting on my camera, the images are waaay to big to see without zooming out or scrolling around on my netbook which makes them pretty much useless for any practical purposes), MS Paint's compression further decreases the file size to a few hundred KB. You could save tons more images in a much smaller space just by buying a better camera and being smarter about how you save your final images.

Sounds like you don't understand digital photography.

Zarathustra[H];1041950311 said:
Personally I have about 9TB on CrashPlan.

I hope I never have to use it, because the restore would probably take forever.

That data includes my documents folder, my DSLR photography folder, OS disk image backups (compressed of course) for key systems, game downloads that can't just be easily replaced through steam, and yes, my media folder as well. I have a lot of time invested in ripping some DVD's, buying others, renaming and sorting folders, etc. and I don't want to lose all of that.

It also turns around and backs up the time machine folders for my Fiance's Mac, and all her documents.

Sometimes when I travel, I also have a security camera set up. Videos from this camera are also backed up, as it would suck if you needed the videos and the storage media was stolen :p

The only thing on my NAS I have excluded from my backups are my MythTV DVR recordings, as they are huge, and not that valuable to me, and my Downloads folder, as it mostly contains stuff I can just redownload (Ubuntu ISO's, drivers, etc)

Define slow? Can it saturate your internet connection?

How old is your surface? Have you called them? Know any trial attorneys? There's gotta be a class action in there.

my surface is almost 2 years old, so the offer should still be good.

The surface pro 3 didnt come out for at least 8 months after i bought mine, so a lot of people should have the same problem. I got mine shortly after launch.

I didn't need the storage at the time and thought I could wait because it said that its valid for 2 years after purchase. Probably qualifies for a class action suit, but I have better things to worry about.

my surface is almost 2 years old, so the offer should still be good.

The surface pro 3 didnt come out for at least 8 months after i bought mine, so a lot of people should have the same problem. I got mine shortly after launch.

I didn't need the storage at the time and thought I could wait because it said that its valid for 2 years after purchase. Probably qualifies for a class action suit, but I have better things to worry about.

Probably not much to worry about from your POV, but you probably won't get much out of it either. I'd still send an email/call MS and if that doesn't work, drop a note/call to your AG. Backing out of a promise (in writing no less) that was part of your purchase is wrong on all levels.

I think it's a bit too much of a decrease on the free side, but honestly, I don't think it'll affect most people and those on here that it does, can probably use copy.com (I have 20 or 25GB), box (50GB) or Spideroak (11GB for me). There's so many free choices for cloud file sharing, if I used onedrive, I'd just pack up my files and move to a free alternative.

Typical Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot yet again. This probably effects a small percentage of people yet the optics could be worse. And dropping the free from 15 GB to 5 GB just looks greedy and money grubbing when Google is giving away 15 GB still.

The unlimited plan with Office 365 was almost too good to be true and apparently was. It does reek of a bait and switch plan. It looks like at this point Microsoft just isn't interested in consumer cloud storage which is bizarre for the now supposedly "cloud first, mobile first" Microsoft.

Personally this won't effect me as I have Office 365 and haven't come close to exhausting the 1 TB with that. I don't think the unlimited down to just 1 TB with Office 365 is the big problem. It was the small fish stuff taking free stuff down to 5 GB. I think they are going to have to rethink this.

My guess is that this was bean counters that figured the costs were growing faster than the financial benefit and then someone, presumably Nadella had to sign off on this, decided to knife all of it for some reason. They could have at least tied some benefit to Windows 10, like upgrade to Windows 10 and get more storage.

Just a bad move. They could have nixed the unlimited and while that would have pissed off some folks it wouldn't have had nearly the impact that the reducing the totally free storage is going to be if they don't rethink this pretty quickly.

Wtf. I just synced all my docs and pics with one drive last week and I'm at 11gb. This sucks. Google drive here I come.

If you already have Office 365, you already get 1TB of storage.

I suppose I can see why they would put a hard cap at 1TB instead of unlimited if the abusers outweighed the other users and it did not make financial sense.

OTOH taking away the free (and the loyalty storage too, that's just bullshit) storage (down to 5GB, really, MS, the Azure/cloud division is that broke they can't afford to offer free users anything competitive?) is utterly stupid especially after they spent all those resources integrating OneDrive into Windows. Gimping the free version is only going to further dissuade anyone considering upgrading to a paid user for more storage if only on principle.

Taking away my loyalty storage (I have a very old account with ~25GB of space) is only going to make me pull everything off of OneDrive for good. Ive managed to fill it up and had been considering upgrading to the unlimited account with Office365 as well and using it to store offsite copies of my photos, videos, and documents.

I suppose I can see why they would put a hard cap at 1TB instead of unlimited if the abusers outweighed the other users and it did not make financial sense.

OTOH taking away the free (and the loyalty storage too, that's just bullshit) storage (down to 5GB, really, MS, the Azure/cloud division is that broke they can't afford to offer free users anything competitive?) is utterly stupid especially after they spent all those resources integrating OneDrive into Windows. Gimping the free version is only going to further dissuade anyone considering upgrading to a paid user for more storage if only on principle.

Taking away my loyalty storage (I have a very old account with ~25GB of space) is only going to make me pull everything off of OneDrive for good. Ive managed to fill it up and had been considering upgrading to the unlimited account with Office365 as well and using it to store offsite copies of my photos, videos, and documents.

There is a lot of pissed off feedback in that blog post. Hopefully Microsoft realizes how much they are pissing off their customer base and decided to make some changes to that policy again before it goes into effect.

Although I feel they already lost a lot of users because of this idea they had. I guess that is one way to free up data on your servers, piss off everyone so they all stop using your service.

Hopefully Microsoft realizes how much they are pissing off their customer base...

12519309.jpg

Sounds like you don't understand digital photography.

It's not exactly complicated. I took a photography course in college kinda recently. You point a camera at something and click a button then you move the file to a computer. There's some technical stuff like making sure you have good lighting and stuff, but like pretty much anyone can take pics, throw on a sepia filter and be artsy.

Define slow? Can it saturate your internet connection?

Nowhere even close.

I have 150mbit connection. I can't remember how fast my uploads are. Will have to check when I get home.

Not sure if it is a bandwidth limitation, or if it is just that their deduplication during upload algorithm is very slow, and uses lots of CPU that causes the problem.

It hasn't been a problem for uploads. The initial upload took a while, but after that, you know, it has gone in dribs and drabs as I add content.

I have never tried downloading, so not sure what kind of speeds I'd see. I can test...

That all being said, I'm not paying very much per month, for unlimited storage, and you get what you pay for, so I'm not horribly disappointed or anything.

It's not exactly complicated. I took a photography course in college kinda recently. You point a camera at something and click a button then you move the file to a computer. There's some technical stuff like making sure you have good lighting and stuff, but like pretty much anyone can take pics, throw on a sepia filter and be artsy.

If you buy a 1000 - 7000 dollar + camera and you're shooting JPG (and you're not a press tog) then you're doing something wrong. And the only reason I make an exception for the press is because they don't have time to do much other than shoot and upload to the office.

Zarathustra[H];1041952292 said:
Nowhere even close.

I have 150mbit connection. I can't remember how fast my uploads are. Will have to check when I get home.

Not sure if it is a bandwidth limitation, or if it is just that their deduplication during upload algorithm is very slow, and uses lots of CPU that causes the problem.

It hasn't been a problem for uploads. The initial upload took a while, but after that, you know, it has gone in dribs and drabs as I add content.

I have never tried downloading, so not sure what kind of speeds I'd see. I can test...

That all being said, I'm not paying very much per month, for unlimited storage, and you get what you pay for, so I'm not horribly disappointed or anything.

They're not much less than Acronis and, as I recall, in the ballpark of Carbonite. My guess is your uploads are no more than 30 Mbps, but probably less. It'd take a long time to upload an HD at that rate. Carbonite use to throttle uploads after a while, but I've read they no longer do. There restore is much faster than the backup.

I think I'll give Crashplan a try next month (out of town to much this month to waste the trial). If it's acceptable, I'll use it. I kinda like the idea of putting a server at my parents house (several hundred miles away) and backing up to it. I'm guessing a really low power headless device could handle it.

Typical Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot yet again. This probably effects a small percentage of people yet the optics could be worse. And dropping the free from 15 GB to 5 GB just looks greedy and money grubbing when Google is giving away 15 GB still.

The unlimited plan with Office 365 was almost too good to be true and apparently was. It does reek of a bait and switch plan. It looks like at this point Microsoft just isn't interested in consumer cloud storage which is bizarre for the now supposedly "cloud first, mobile first" Microsoft.

Personally this won't effect me as I have Office 365 and haven't come close to exhausting the 1 TB with that. I don't think the unlimited down to just 1 TB with Office 365 is the big problem. It was the small fish stuff taking free stuff down to 5 GB. I think they are going to have to rethink this.

My guess is that this was bean counters that figured the costs were growing faster than the financial benefit and then someone, presumably Nadella had to sign off on this, decided to knife all of it for some reason. They could have at least tied some benefit to Windows 10, like upgrade to Windows 10 and get more storage.

Just a bad move. They could have nixed the unlimited and while that would have pissed off some folks it wouldn't have had nearly the impact that the reducing the totally free storage is going to be if they don't rethink this pretty quickly.

I personally agree this is a stupid move. FFS, the changes make it cheaper to use Azure blob storage than onedrive. That's triple-redundant at the minimum, with a 99.9% R/W SLA, is allowed to be used and it's cheaper than the 50GB plan ($1.99/mo onedrive, $1.20/mo Azure, but to stay under the 1.99/mo would need to outbound transfer less than 14GB/month).

Really don't know what that team was thinking :(

Just uninstalled OneDrive from Windows 10 and removed the links from Explorer. Good riddance.

To completely uninstall OneDrive:
Open Command Prompt in Administrator mode: Right-click on the Windows icon in the taskbar and select Command Prompt (Admin).
Type in taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe to terminate any OneDrive processes and hit Enter.
Then type in either %SystemRoot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall if you’re using 32-bit Windows 10 or %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall if you’re using 64-bit Windows 10 and hit Enter.

How to get rid of Windows 10 icon in Windows Explorer
Press Win+R and type regedit to open up the Registry Editor
Navigate to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6} registry key.
Double-click on System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree change its value from 1 to 0.
Log off or restart your computer. When you open File Explorer, the OneDrive entry should be gone from the list.

So what cloud storage solution would you recommend?

I use spideroak and copy.com, but I have a box account with 50GB (which I never use, for some reason).

I'm not sure if spideroak still has free space or not. I have 11GB, but they may have dropped the free option.

Looks like Box no longer offers a free option either, but I assume I still have it if I can find the login

So what cloud storage solution would you recommend?

None. Local external harddisk or NAS. Or if it has to be something cloud based, maybe Dropbox, which I've only ever heard good things about: delta changes being one of the main ones. Example if you rename a 200MB file on Dropbox, it syncs the file name change without transferring the entire 200MB again. With OneDrive if you rename a file, the whole file gets transferred.

How is what possible? That I'm running Windows 10? I'm evaluating the Enterprise LTSB edition through our MSDN account at work. And its actually growing on me since it has none of the Metro/Edge/Cortana crap by default.

What was Microsoft's term? Oh yeah, Scroogled. Who knew that would be a term in their own terms and conditions?

Oh, and Bing sucks. I only use it when I know Microsoft can't screw up a search result. And they give me points that I can cash in for Amazon gift cards. If I need a real search I use Google.

Back