Microsoft Doesn’t Want Windows 10 Users To Switch To Chrome

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is Microsoft just desperate for Edge to succeed, or could this be the beginning of OS-wide nag prompts?

In a newly leaked Windows 10 preview (build 10568), the software giant has added a new prompt targeting users switching default apps. If you have Microsoft Edge set as the default browser and install Chrome and switch defaults then a dialog box with "give Microsoft Edge a shot" appears.

For years I have stuck with IE as it does what I need and doesn't require extra software. I have had firefox around for the few cases there for awhile where IE didn't work for some sites. Something that hasn't really been a problem for the last few releases. However I find Edge to be a step back to a degree. It is slower at loading some pages and I have found pages now that don't work. So my current setup is to use a mix of Edge for most pages but then switch over to IE for other pages that I use daily at work.

They need to fix things with it to keep people using it and not make them run away. That said, I don't think this type of nag screen is going to make very many people happy, and will probably piss of the EU and result in another lawsuit

I've yet to see the greatness in chrome.
I actually like google products, specially android, but desktop chrome, I really don't see anything great about it.
It works, sure..
I use firefox, still think is the best.
Opera would be my second choice.
IE did get better (I have 11 on windows 7) mostly because they copied stuff from firefox/opera.
Chrome, I don't see speed, I don't see ease of use, I don't see any super stability either, same as firefox/opera/ie . This is on desktop.. on android, its great.

Microsoft Edge is an abomination. Basic functionality is missing. Luckily they *also* included Internet Explorer. Pretty bad when you have two competing applications in the same Operating System.

New title; Microsoft is looking for new ways for users to switch from windows 10.

I wanted to like Edge after hearing about it but upon trying it when I switched to W10 I just had too many issues with it crashing, etc. and went back to Chrome within a day.

*Shrug* Click switch anyways, not a big deal. :rolleyes: Have not had any issues with Edge but, I have been using Firefox a lot just because.

Norton doesn't recommend this, as their are "less than five users in the Norton community have used this file", "This file was released less than a week ago", and "There is not enough information about his file to recommend it." Also,"this file was downloaded from Unkown."

I've yet to see the greatness in chrome.

For me, the killer feature in chrome is having a separate process for each tab. If one tab crashes or goes nuts, you can kill just that process without taking out the whole browser (and the gigabytes of RAM it's using)

*Shrug* Click switch anyways, not a big deal. :rolleyes: Have not had any issues with Edge but, I have been using Firefox a lot just because.

I don't understand this statement. When i change the defaults I do so knowingly and with a specific purpose. You honesty find it okay to be nagged about it regardless of the effort?

i gave it a shot and found it lacking. if they want people to use them ever again they should learn from chrome and firefox >_>;

i will give a fuck when they have extensions implemented.

I don't understand this statement. When i change the defaults I do so knowingly and with a specific purpose. You honesty find it okay to be nagged about it regardless of the effort?

For people that want the defaults a certain way sure its nag. However there are some people that will do it out of hand without trying new stuff. I would say at this point I wouldn't do this as Edge doesn't have enough features to be competitive. However it is pretty fast and is probably better on battery than Edge, which isn't exactly hard to do when it comes to Chrome.

I do not consider this nagging but then again, I do not stress out over every little thing in an OS like a lot here seem to do.

They can nag all they want, I quit using IE at 6, and I don't care how much they rename it I'm not going back. I've used all the various versions due to work requirements and no reason at all I've ever seen to consider giving it a chance.

They can nag all they want, I quit using IE at 6, and I don't care how much they rename it I'm not going back. I've used all the various versions due to work requirements and no reason at all I've ever seen to consider giving it a chance.

They did not rename it, Edge is a completely new browser. But, then again, you already knew that. :rolleyes:

It will get to the point where we'll need 3rd party software just to stop BS like this. First its nag, then it will be ads next.

Its pretty bad with windows 10 being downloaded to your computer unless you block it or something.
MS sure is pushing the limits to what the public will put up with.

MS sure is pushing the limits to what the public will put up with.

No they're not. Almost no one outside of communities like this give a shit what MS does to push software onto their computer.

If Microsoft wanted Edge to succeed, they probably shouldn't have made it a metro app.

At least for now there's still a switch anyways option. Wouldn't be surprised if MS gets more desperate and it just becomes like the Windows 10 upgrade nag where there isn't a "No thanks" option, and the only choices are Yes or postpone. :rolleyes:

I refuse to use it because it sounds too much like Windows ME and we know how THAT turned out. :p

Quite honestly really the main reason why I use chrome is because it saves by bookmarks/apps in my google account and I can easily access them from any chrome browser.

MS has said they are building features to allow personal and corporate identities to exist on the same machine. If this means I will be able to sync my bookmarks like chrome, I would use IE/edge A LOT more.

Though usually when MS brings up a really cool feature like that, its usually on the wrong side of doesn't work at all like you think it would/should.

They did not rename it, Edge is a completely new browser. But, then again, you already knew that. :rolleyes:

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

It's no different from previous versions of ie than typical upgrades. It's all new aesthetically.

At least for now there's still a switch anyways option. Wouldn't be surprised if MS gets more desperate and it just becomes like the Windows 10 upgrade nag where there isn't a "No thanks" option, and the only choices are Yes or postpone. :rolleyes:

I would be completely surprised if that were to happen. Oh, and the Windows 10 upgrade notifications have been fixed but, I work in IT so I am more likely to notice that than those not in IT or have some hatred for Microsoft. (Not saying you do but, many here do.)

They want you to use Edge, yet they don't even fully support Edge on their own sites. A few weeks ago I was trying to register for an MS exam and was having issues, so I tried from all browsers just to rule that option out. When I spoke to a rep and told them I had tried Chrome, IE, and Edge they told me, "Oh, well we don't support Edge for our websites yet, but thank you for trying."

Strip away all the legacy crap and bloat from Chrome and FF and what you end up with is something like MS Edge, and just as useless. As an IT person they continually make it easy on me to hold off updating the company's operating systems. They need to stabilize their builds and stop with this forced update bullshit, including their screwy corporate update policies for Win 10 Pro.

Apple does this on Mac's as well. My iMac at work asks me ever now and then to Safari instead of chrome.

Hasn't worked yet..

I don't blame Microsoft for not wanting people to use Chrome... It's turned into a pos browser :D :D :D

You should try uBlock out... It blocks the ads that AdBlock allows now...

I'm just speaking in generalities. I actually have both installed at the moment, but as far as I know, there isn't a way to have one externally, only with a browser extension. Therefore, M$ Edge isn't even worthy of a try until then.

Microsoft, the desperate ex. Please use my OS! I worked so hard on it to invade your privacy and cost you more money.

Yeah, Microsoft, I'd love to give Edge a shot. But right now it doesn't have the one feature I most desire in a browser: Adblocking. Give me that and I might even switch over permanently.

Back