Microsoft Doesn’t Want Windows 10 Users To Switch To Chrome

I hope the EU hands Microsoft a big fine once again.

So do I and that they should remove IE, Edge and leave no browser in the OS at all. That way, they will have to go to another computer to download a browser just to get online. :D Oh, and the EU would have to have a legit reason to fine them but, then again, they pick and choose favorites. After all, ever seen Apple fined for their Safari Browser being the default and no easy option to switch? :rolleyes:

Yeah, Microsoft, I'd love to give Edge a shot. But right now it doesn't have the one feature I most desire in a browser: Adblocking. Give me that and I might even switch over permanently.

Extensions are the must have feature that's still missing in Edge. I'm guessing it may not be available until Redstone which is probably a good ways off unless they're going to update Edge before then or Redstone is coming sooner than I'm thinking. With adblocking and assuming Edge retains its speed, a lot of stuff will really fly.

They can nag all they want, I quit using IE at 6, and I don't care how much they rename it I'm not going back. I've used all the various versions due to work requirements and no reason at all I've ever seen to consider giving it a chance.

Pretty much the same here.

I also stopped using since 6, and had been wholly unimpressed by the fact that it took them YEARS before they even implemented tabbed browsing. IE11's implementation is far from the best, jamming address bar and tabs together just doesn't work if you have 5 or more tabs open.

Pretty much the same here.

I also stopped using since 6, and had been wholly unimpressed by the fact that it took them YEARS before they even implemented tabbed browsing. IE11's implementation is far from the best, jamming address bar and tabs together just doesn't work if you have 5 or more tabs open.

You mean except for that little option called show tabs on seperate line, right?

So do I and that they should remove IE, Edge and leave no browser in the OS at all. That way, they will have to go to another computer to download a browser just to get online. :D Oh, and the EU would have to have a legit reason to fine them but, then again, they pick and choose favorites. After all, ever seen Apple fined for their Safari Browser being the default and no easy option to switch? :rolleyes:

They should be fined for "accidentally" installing Win10 to people's PCs that didn't want it and then further fined for monopolistic practices. :rolleyes:

They should be fined for "accidentally" installing Win10 to people's PCs that didn't want it and then further fined for monopolistic practices. :rolleyes:

Have any solid proof of that and not hearsay? I have seen no intentional evidence of that. Also, last time I checked, they are not a monopoly unless you can point out where they are?

For me, the killer feature in chrome is having a separate process for each tab. If one tab crashes or goes nuts, you can kill just that process without taking out the whole browser (and the gigabytes of RAM it's using)

That has been the complete opposite of my experience. I have never had a tab lock up in Chrome without it completely freezing up and preventing me from even bringing up other tabs or Chrome windows.

No they're not. Almost no one outside of communities like this give a shit what MS does to push software onto their computer.
But the continuing problem is, they keep filling up our computers with their sh!t. The C drive and windows directory already slowly sinks of it's own weight due to rot, we don't really need M$ downloading mystery files without telling us.

This, and fix the issue where synced bookmarks from Chrome are reversed, and I'll give it a go.
You were naughty to use chrome and you must be punished. signed, Microsoft.

You mean except for that little option called show tabs on seperate line, right?

Didn't see that until you mentioned it.

Haven't been using IE unless absolutely necessary, and by that, I mean using it to download Chrome or Firefox and then subsequently uninstalling it. I don't even use IE for visiting Microsoft update websites (I use IE tabs in Chrome for that). Lately though I have been downloading entire installation packages for Chrome/Firefox that I have been bypassing that step even.

Microsoft Edge is the first browser that has compelled me to switch to another browser. Every time I have tried a new browser before, it was due to curiosity, not due to disliking the previous one.

funny. i always liked ie but since windows 10, with edge i could not import my favorites. so i decided on using chrome full time, funny! i always liked ie... i guess ms is "shooting" itself in the "foot". all they should had done was to make ie favorites work on edge.

funny. i always liked ie but since windows 10, with edge i could not import my favorites. so i decided on using chrome full time, funny! i always liked ie... i guess ms is "shooting" itself in the "foot". all they should had done was to make ie favorites work on edge.

Why can't you import your favorites into Edge? Yes, it has it issues but that's not one of them.

MS sure is pushing the limits to what the public will put up with.

No. Not really. Even on older versions of Windows, if you install a new browser and set it as default, an other browsers you have installer will ask if you want to re-set THEM to the default browser and nag you about it constantly until you tell them not to.

All Microsoft has done is try to make theirs more personable.

Edge is irrelevant to me. The biggest complaint I have is that folks like me use Firefox because it isn't Chrome.

However, Mozilla wants to turn Firefox...into Chrome.

Nosedive!

The only thing about edge im interested in is... pushing microsoft off of it ! :)

It is not normal for MS to come off so desperate ... giving away Win10, begging users to remain on Edge, what the heck is going on over there?

It is not normal for MS to come off so desperate ... giving away Win10, begging users to remain on Edge, what the heck is going on over there?
If I had to guess it would be the continued obsession with big data. They need people to use their new products and services that track data to look good for Wall Street and investors.

Why do people still put up with MS other than some nagging OCD-like belief that they "need" software like Photoshop?

Why do people still put up with MS other than some nagging OCD-like belief that they "need" software like Photoshop?

If all games ran on linux there would be no need to use MS windows. Only reason I use windows.

If all games ran on linux there would be no need to use MS windows. Only reason I use windows.

Same here. I have no loyalties to MS whatsoever. I'm sticking with Windows 7 for the forseeable future as well.

I don't understand this statement. When i change the defaults I do so knowingly and with a specific purpose. You honesty find it okay to be nagged about it regardless of the effort?

Nope. That nagging comes off as a cheap sales tactic (even though it's free). It's like a telemarketer. No. No. Fuck off c*nt, I said no. It's annoying, intrusive and not needed.

I use Chrome mostly. I do use Edge a lot lately, though. So, I'm not against Edge or Microsoft. I just don't like that tactic.

You want to appear relevant but in this case, you are not. Games will never fully support Linux since the desktop user base is just so tiny. Also, businesses have a far greater user base than home users, which means Windows is far more relevant on the desktop than you would like.

Ahh, the fanbois, always making excuses for the worse possible behavior and actions from their preferred deities, err, companies.

Ahh, the fanbois, always making excuses for the worse possible behavior and actions from their preferred deities, err, companies.

Really? This instance is a complicated process then, eh? So bad that we need to make sure nothing outside of your perfect little world is disturbed? How about the fact that folks such as myself realize there are far more important things to be concerned about than this. Next thing you know, you guys will be complaining that your hand is cramping because of those extra clicks. :rolleyes::D

I gave Edge and honest chance, it does have potential but I'm getting blurry text on many web pages that IE and Chrome display fine and it does not work with battlelog for launching games. I'll revisit after a few rounds of updates until then I really like Chrome. Given I have an Android phone and use gmail the convenience is going to be tough to beat.

Really? This instance is a complicated process then, eh? So bad that we need to make sure nothing outside of your perfect little world is disturbed? How about the fact that folks such as myself realize there are far more important things to be concerned about than this. Next thing you know, you guys will be complaining that your hand is cramping because of those extra clicks. :rolleyes::D

Aaannnd we found one.

Kyle, can you ban this obvious microsoft shill?

ManofGod is here to let us know that Edge's constant crashes are a feature not a bug.

You see, when your browser crashes upon trying to load a page it gives you time to think "Do i really want to keep trying to browse the internet, or do i wanna head out and enjoy a nice day out?", see? you should totally be grateful to that.

Similarly W10's telemetry is to help ensure that you stay on the right path and don't do anything morally ambiguous since you may doubt that God is watching you, but you can be sure that BigBrother is, and is able to tell everyone what you do in your alone time... sure ideally you should be good by your own choice to serve God, but this is the next best thing and boy oh boy does he(MoG) approves!

I gave Edge and honest chance, it does have potential but I'm getting blurry text on many web pages that IE and Chrome display fine and it does not work with battlelog for launching games. I'll revisit after a few rounds of updates until then I really like Chrome. Given I have an Android phone and use gmail the convenience is going to be tough to beat.

This I have to agree with. In fact, I have was having trouble doing Battlefield 4 until I switched the default browser to Internet Explorer. Do you know of anyway to get it working on Firefox? I like Edge which is very fast but, I have been using Firefox just because. (I use all the main browsers, I just happen to stick to one for most things.)

ManofGod is here to let us know that Edge's constant crashes are a feature not a bug.

You see, when your browser crashes upon trying to load a page it gives you time to think "Do i really want to keep trying to browse the internet, or do i wanna head out and enjoy a nice day out?", see? you should totally be grateful to that.

Similarly W10's telemetry is to help ensure that you stay on the right path and don't do anything morally ambiguous since you may doubt that God is watching you, but you can be sure that BigBrother is, and is able to tell everyone what you do in your alone time... sure ideally you should be good by your own choice to serve God, but this is the next best thing and boy oh boy does he(MoG) approves!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Windows 10 features Clippy technology.

"It looks like you're trying to use the internet. Microsoft Edge provides a more streamlined, faster, and more secure Internet experience. When would you like me to open all of your currently opened tabs in Edge, set Edge as your default browser, and uninstall all third party browsers? Now, Postpone"

I don't use Photoshop but there's a ton of stuff I do use that isn't supported on Linux. The thing is, and Linux supports have been making this same mistake for almost 2 decades, Windows can't possibly be as bad as some make it out to be. At the very least the worst experiences can't be as common as some would make them out to be. Like Edge, I use it as my main browser simply because it seems to run well for me. I also use Chrome and IE when needed. Indeed it's kind of silly to argue about a default browser when one can use like 6 if they want.

Aaannnd we found one.

Kyle, can you ban this obvious microsoft shill?

Don't even bother. If they won't get rid of PRIME1 they sure as hell aren't going to get rid of these low level shills. You know the ones that say they are neutral but have rebuttals against any negative post about their golden company in every thread. If they have no argument back then they throw "you're just a hater" back. Look at their post counts and times, they have no lives outside this little forum. Just think they don't even get paid to waste that much time...LOL.

Edge works pretty well and I could switch to it but it needs add on support first and a healthy eco system.

The thing is, and Linux supports have been making this same mistake for almost 2 decades, Windows can't possibly be as bad as some make it out to be.

I dunno... I hear an awful lot of complaining around here but not seeing a lot of action.

But I tell you plainly... MS could squeeze a turd on a plate and most people will gripe for awhile, but then they'll finally break down and just ask someone to pass the salt.

The idea of getting out of one's comfort zone and going his own way -- not uh. Not gonna happen. It's just not in most people's nature. And they will eat what's served to them, even if it's a freshly squeezed turd.

I dunno... I hear an awful lot of complaining around here but not seeing a lot of action.

But I tell you plainly... MS could squeeze a turd on a plate and most people will gripe for awhile, but then they'll finally break down and just ask someone to pass the salt.

The idea of getting out of one's comfort zone and going his own way -- not uh. Not gonna happen. It's just not in most people's nature. And they will eat what's served to them, even if it's a freshly squeezed turd.

Disagree. Windows 8 was universally panned. Even MS admits it. Even the resident Redmond Bob's admit it (now - though until Windows 10 they still swore on their MSFT stocks that it was god's gift to computing).

Windows 10 adoption has also slowed dramatically. Two more weeks and we'll see the new Netmarketshare numbers for October. Guaranteed it will be less than September's number, which was less than August's number. Adoption is decelerating, not accelerating. Why do you think that is? Spying = chilling effect. Word gets around. All MS will have to cling to is the people that tricked into upgrading with Ransomware level ambush tactics.

I like Edge for it's lightning speed, but not much else. I don't like the start screen, I don't like how it looks, and I really hate the option menu - both accessing it and lack of options included.

Back