Microsoft Ditches Bing For Baidu In China

HardOCP News

[H] News
Whoa! Microsoft ditching Bing in favor of Baidu in China? I never thought I'd see that happen. The must really want Windows 10 to do well over there. :eek:

Today, we’re excited to announce another partnership with a leader in China – Baidu. With over 600 million active users, Baidu is one of the most frequently used Internet gateways in China. Together, we will make it easy for Baidu customers to upgrade to Windows 10 and we will deliver a custom experience for customers in China, providing local browsing and search experiences. Baidu.com will become the default homepage and search for the Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10.

Makes sense. Microsoft basically gave up on indexing Chinese sites a few years ago. Bing is basically the alternative to use for English searches when Google is being blocked

Could also have to do with having less issues in regards to regulation dealing with the CCP controls on internet use and users web searches...

Microsoft locked my Bing account a few months back, claiming that I had violated one of their rules for collecting reward points. They told me, for reasons of security, that they couldn't tell me what rule I broke.

I never redeemed points on more than one account. I used Bing every day.

Fuck you, Microsoft and fuck you, Bing.

I'd bet money that this is more something that was forced on them than something they chose to do. But if they don't have a choice, they might as well try to put a positive spin on it.

I'd bet money that this is more something that was forced on them than something they chose to do. But if they don't have a choice, they might as well try to put a positive spin on it.

Yep. China is still a treacherous country that will force all the US "free market" ninnies to grab their ankles when the need arises. However I do still give them props for exposing Google

New CEO. New ideas. Way more pragmatic and less willing to die on a hill for no reason. Baidu is king in China and essentially backed by the state. You'd have to be a retard to try to crack that.

Back