Microsoft Developers Hid Crossword Puzzle in Backgrounds

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Over the weekend, former Microsoft director that was leading the team working on the redesign of Windows 8, Jensen Harris, went to Twitter to talk about a little secret. The developers working on Windows 8 created a puzzle, and embedded it into wallpapers used for internal builds of the Operating System. The reason? The team knew the images, and probably the internal builds would get leaked, so they figured they would have some fun.

Cool stuff, I always like learning about little hidden things within games and other software. And if nothing else, now we have a name on who to blame for Windows 8, so that's good.

But, despite months of the grid of letters on 1000's of PCs at Microsoft and pirated to who-knows-how-many computers outside, I am aware of only one person figuring out definitively that it was a puzzle and solving it. A dev from Ireland solved it and sent us the answer in 2011.

yep people thought it was some security measure to track people down.

I used Start8.
Like I got time going thru unreleased builds looking for puzzles.

"Interestingly, the "messed with" pixels represented the single biggest dip in pirated distribution of Windows betas we ever saw,..."

"...despite months of the grid of letters on 1000's of PCs at Microsoft and pirated to who-knows-how-many computers outside,..."

So which is it... you know how much it was allegedly pirated and there can accurately claim a "dip" or you are full of it and can't help but kid yourselves continually and hence the contradictory statements (and we won't go into the contradictory actions of "turning" it into a "fun thing" with this whole image dealio).

Back