Microsoft Confirms That Windows 10 Will Cut Off Devices with Older CPUs

So what was that they were saying about Win 10 being the last version of Windows? What a load of ....

I think that's what's going to bite them in the ass. It's not the last version, it's pretty much just "Windows" now. But, with Anniversary Update, Creators Update, etc.. Kind of like OSX with Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, etc.. But, the "Windows 10 is the last version of Windows" yet it isn't getting updates (that are pretty much forced on everyone else) on older hardware. They should have stayed with newer versions of the OS. I know my 486 won't run Vista or 10. A modern PC should be able to run it as well. And it does. Just gets blocked from updates at a certain point.

Which I understand. The manufacturer abandons the hardware, and then when there are problems it's blamed on Windows. Most BSOD's are caused by hardware or driver issues. So, it does make sense. It'll just cause problems and confusion.

I haven't updated my Windows 7 since I installed it years ago, except when a new program actually needs it for some reason i.e. dot net update or whatever. Everything works the way I want it to. Every program and game I have runs perfectly. I have never had automatic updates turned on ever. No problems with hardware compatibility either.

The way I see it things are moving more and more toward a browser based environment and if MS keeps up this BS, Windows will be something nobody really wants or needs anymore except for certain specialized programs.

I agree with you. MS really baited and switched us all into Win 10. What I have been doing for years is after the OS is no longer supported, I just don't get on the internet or do anything online on that PC. If I need a patch or whatever, I use a supported OS to download and then transfer it to the older OS. Works well, I guess MS really hates us for doing this. If it's not broke, why fix it?

So, if I put and old piece of hardware in my PC I can finally turn off automatic updates? ;)

So, if I put and old piece of hardware in my PC I can finally turn off automatic updates? ;)
LOL, that's one way to look at it. Except you will be stuck on that version of Windows 10 (creators update, Anniversary Update, etc.), and they only get support for security patches etc. for a few years after release. Then you have a brand new Boat Anchor(TM), or attempt to go back to a previous version of the OS. Isn't this fun kids?

Which I understand. The manufacturer abandons the hardware, and then when there are problems it's blamed on Windows. Most BSOD's are caused by hardware or driver issues. So, it does make sense. It'll just cause problems and confusion.

Keep in mind, this isn't Windows 10 era hardware. It's not Windows 7 era. This is Windows 8.x hardware. Windows 8 hardware that never supported officially Windows 7. So it's something of an outlier and an oddball. People need to keep in mind that these are Atom devices, not even the far better newer ones.

I forgot to mention that wonderful MicroShaft will attempt to download and install 4 GB of data for the new version over and over again, until you research how to disable Windows Updates. "How many times would you like to install Windows today?" is their new catchphrase.

Oh no, my abacus isnt gonna get updates anymore. Stupid microshit!!

Off to Linux I go. I will still have to dual boot into W10 for 99.999999999999999999999999% of things, but im really gonna teach MS a lesson here!

I think that's what's going to bite them in the ass. It's not the last version, it's pretty much just "Windows" now. But, with Anniversary Update, Creators Update, etc.. Kind of like OSX with Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, etc.. But, the "Windows 10 is the last version of Windows" yet it isn't getting updates (that are pretty much forced on everyone else) on older hardware.

Yep. And apparently "creators update" is only on about half of Windows 10 PC's , which points to a whole lot of users and companies having updates blocked for fear of more MS bloat coming down the WU pipe, or any number of other legitimate concerns.

So much for "windows as a service" when a large portion of the userbase just doesn't trust MS anymore.

darth-vader-i-am-altering-the-deal.png

So much for people bragging "Windows 10 can run on 8 year old hardware just fine!" or "This setup has been good to me for 6+ years! All I upgraded was the video card!".

It starts with this. It'll happen to more and more hardware, too.

I'm a huge Windows 10 fan. I love it. I'll run it on everything if I can. But, if they start cutting off my hardware, I won't upgrade it so I can upgrade Windows. I'll put a different OS on there that does the job. No need to upgrade hardware or buy a new OS. I'm not throwing away perfectly good hardware, and I can bet that Linux will keep releasing updates to that old hardware for a bit longer. At that point, I'd be pretty upset that any loyalty I had towards Windows wouldn't matter.

It sucks, too, because I have one of those Clovertrail devices. What about homebuilt systems? When the CPU gets to a certain age or generation gap? Lenovo and Dell usually drop support fairly quickly, too...

it can, I have it running on a Core 2 Duo machine. The problem is not that Windows 10 can't run on old hardware, it's that Microsoft won't let it run on old hardware ... HUGE difference.

So effectively tech landfill will go up 800%.

Great for the environment.

I can see PCs being moved to totally sealed boxes with a 4 year expiry date on them.

Although I keep my technology up to date in our household, I can't say I'm a fan of Microsoft doing this. They're not like Apple where the sheep just line up for a new device when iOS updates cripple their older one... they'll take a pretty large (insert future version of Windows here) install base hit if they continue on this path.

Although I keep my technology up to date in our household, I can't say I'm a fan of Microsoft doing this. They're not like Apple where the sheep just line up for a new device when iOS updates cripple their older one... they'll take a pretty large (insert future version of Windows here) install base hit if they continue on this path.

Which means you probably did not read the article and have no idea what this is about. Oh well, carry on as well.........

it can, I have it running on a Core 2 Duo machine. The problem is not that Windows 10 can't run on old hardware, it's that Microsoft won't let it run on old hardware ... HUGE difference.

Nope, perhaps it is time to read the article and discover what it is really all about?

Nope, perhaps it is time to read the article and discover what it is really all about?
it really does not matter what that article says... it is an artificial limitation on MS part...ms and hardware vendors have now figured out how to force upgrades on the masses.

Last edited:
I replied to the topic title. Sue me.

Not worth it, $10 in your bank account just would not do anything for me. :D ;) And to the one above who said it does not matter what the article said, they why does it matter what anything or anyone says?

If they just are dumping the ultra low-end processors that barely run windows so they can skip testing on that garbage... how many of us really care? I mean really? This processor is junk and we all know it. The concern is if this expands to products that can still properly drive windows just fine such as a Xeon W3690 old yes but still very capable. Many of us make secondary boxs out of our old gear for testing and this could catch us off guard if this goes too far. However, if this is just getting rid of the barely functional CPUs from the bottom of the stack... who really cares.

I wonder if when you go into the windows files in windows 10 and start changing things to your liking ( fixing configuration issues with hardware ) that Microsoft will effectively de-auth your version of windows? With the whole telemtry thing i bet they are looking at the system files to see if they have been altered. I would not put it past them to disable your OS because you changed system files malicious or not.....

P.S. This whole things sounds like collusion with chip vendors to drive up sales..... IMO

I wonder if when you go into the windows files in windows 10 and start changing things to your liking ( fixing configuration issues with hardware ) that Microsoft will effectively de-auth your version of windows? With the whole telemtry thing i bet they are looking at the system files to see if they have been altered. I would not put it past them to disable your OS because you changed system files malicious or not.....

P.S. This whole things sounds like collusion with chip vendors to drive up sales..... IMO

Or it is what it really is, an OEM that does not want to support their old, slow hardware on those under powered tablets...... Fact, not just my opinion.

That is shit, Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves. if the hardware is capable of running windows 10, then why do this ??

Or it is what it really is, an OEM that does not want to support their old, slow hardware on those under powered tablets...... Fact, not just my opinion.
Right but this doesn't look like its just limited to tablet chipsets.....it reads as if you have any type of chip not just SOC or mobile platform....which is forcing someone to buy new to get the up-to-date OS.

I wasn't expecting MS to drop support for chips that ran windows 10 initially. But there is plenty of stuff that requires Windows 7 SP1 or XP SP3 or whatever. On the other hand it makes total sense to drop those particular atom chips. But the precedent is unfortunate. I hope if they do stop supporting core 2's and early core chips they wait a few more years. I still know people running core 2's and I have a few first gen i5's running in machines. But I do understand that if intel won't make or update drivers that at some point it does make sense to no longer support it.

That is shit, Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves. if the hardware is capable of running windows 10, then why do this ??

Majority of BSOD's are due to hardware incompatibilities or driver issues. Take out the unsupported stuff and you have a much more stable OS.

Takes the choice and freedom from the consumer a bit, but does make it better for Microsoft.

I can see why they are doing it. I just don't like it from a hobbyist perspective.

From a gamer and pc builder perspective, this doesn't bother me.
It'll be the same as anything. whatever check MS put in place to block the update, someone will figure out a trick to get the update down anyway and we will roll on as normal
For the masses....meh...I might make more money replacing hardware
:D

Capitalism FTW!!!!

Are people overly panicking on this? Aren't the unsupported CPU's 4 specific Atom Processors? Other Atom Processors (newer and older) aren't on the list. It sounds like a genuine incompatibility problem that doesn't affect that many machines. Mostly older Stick PC's and super low end mobile devices.

The thing is that these Clover Trail Atoms are pretty much as useless for PC gaming as there is. Just getting the Steam client to run on these devices is problematic. And don't expect awesome things from Linux with this platform.

Ya, but to be honest, these Atom based cpu's are usually in what I call "chore" pcs. Streaming boxes, garage pcs, theater systems, etc. I have never seen anyone build a gaming pc with an atom cpu outside of them just wanting to see if they could do it.

I'm not sure why you'd worry about dropped support for older hardware. That's been happening for years. If you have an old scanner, you're probably going to have to get a new one or use VueScan and that's been the case going back to XP (or perhaps earlier).
That said, if they start dropping support for older hardware that's going to be a problem...especially if 7 or 8 supports it still, because it's ridiculous to sit there and beg customers to upgrade to 10 and then drop support for the hardware before their old OS did. I can understand why they'd want to do this. It's obvious that people are upgrading computers much more slowly than they use to. You could still run a desktop system on a 10 year old core 2 e6300 (the bottom of the core2 line at that time). You won't play games on it, but you could definitely edit documents, browse the web and what not, but at a minimum, I think that h/w should be supported until 7 support ends (and probably 8). After that, they need to say how long support for each CPU is going to last, because that may affect what CPU you buy.

This is just going against their grand plan. Microsoft wants, and won't get imo, to keep windows 7 from being XP, which they just cannot seem to shed. I don't know what hardware they are going to specifically limit. They article says it was just this atom cpu, but they have arranged it to be any old hardware. I know a guy who's primary rig is an old e8400 system I gave him, with a gtx 460, SSD, and several terabytes of storage. That rig will still do any daily chore and play most modern games at 1080... It started life off on Windows XP 64bit.

AFAIK, the idea that some guy is working on Linux in his garage is mostly fiction. The most of the work is done by companies like IBM, Intel and Red Hat. The thing is the top developers have no interest in gaming. IBM isn't going to get consulting fees from Merk if they make Linux gaming better.
It's all up to the likes of AMD, NVIDIA and the game publishers and I suspect most are fine with Windows.

That said, I suppose it's possible that the gaming work is all being done by unpaid volunteers, but I doubt it.

So much this. TBH if you want to work in the IT world today, and you do not want to work help desk, you need to know Linux. I routinely work with big companies that have hundreds, sometimes thousands of servers running linux and they are usually running Red Hat stuff. That is why I normally run Fedora on my pc, because I want that environment to be second nature to me. I just had to switch to Debian because I don't have time to mess with the hoping around it does while I am trying to get my work done.

As far as the AMD/Nvidia thing, Nvidia has long supported linux. I think AMD wants to, but has bigger fish to fry atm. We need to stop building everything with D3D and use OpenGL.

Yep. I could not install windows 7 on an I3 7100. It didnt have the driver, install failed.

Are people overly panicking on this? Aren't the unsupported CPU's 4 specific Atom Processors? Other Atom Processors (newer and older) aren't on the list. It sounds like a genuine incompatibility problem that doesn't affect that many machines. Mostly older Stick PC's and super low end mobile devices.
It's anyone's guess right now. You can find out more from this thread:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ld-16232/eed3438f-afdb-44e4-b2d3-1cab77da09f6

MS may decide to just drop support in the next update for a whole lot of hardware. Again, nothing is concrete yet, the problems are with the Insider Preview builds.

Ya, but to be honest, these Atom based cpu's are usually in what I call "chore" pcs. Streaming boxes, garage pcs, theater systems, etc. I have never seen anyone build a gaming pc with an atom cpu outside of them just wanting to see if they could do it.

This is just going against their grand plan. Microsoft wants, and won't get imo, to keep windows 7 from being XP, which they just cannot seem to shed. I don't know what hardware they are going to specifically limit. They article says it was just this atom cpu, but they have arranged it to be any old hardware. I know a guy who's primary rig is an old e8400 system I gave him, with a gtx 460, SSD, and several terabytes of storage. That rig will still do any daily chore and play most modern games at 1080... It started life off on Windows XP 64bit.

Nah. 7 is on borrowed time. Businesses have already started the migration process. It will accelerate between now and the end of 2019. I think my dad's rig is a re-purposed 8400 (isn't that a xeon dual core?) and it runs 10 fine. That said, the MB is not what it once was and I'll have to build a new one for my mother and he'll get her current PC.

So much this. TBH if you want to work in the IT world today, and you do not want to work help desk, you need to know Linux. I routinely work with big companies that have hundreds, sometimes thousands of servers running linux and they are usually running Red Hat stuff. That is why I normally run Fedora on my pc, because I want that environment to be second nature to me. I just had to switch to Debian because I don't have time to mess with the hoping around it does while I am trying to get my work done.

As far as the AMD/Nvidia thing, Nvidia has long supported linux. I think AMD wants to, but has bigger fish to fry atm. We need to stop building everything with D3D and use OpenGL.
Don't think that's going to happen. I'm not even sure Vulkan will do it, but based on my limited reading, I don't think OpenGL is going to happen. You'll have to talk to some graphics programmers on here as to why.

Nah. 7 is on borrowed time. Businesses have already started the migration process. It will accelerate between now and the end of 2019.

7 is supported for 3 more years, and then it'll be supported further after that, because MS will have no choice when the majority of PCs are still on 7. 10 is pretty much stalled -- only gained 5% in the past year while Windows 7 also gained.

Hopefully by 2020, MS will have fixed the biggest problems and privacy issues keeping businesses away from 10, and maybe actually added a useful feature or two rather than just more apps and gimmicks that most people just turn off right after installation.

Nah. 7 is on borrowed time. Businesses have already started the migration process. It will accelerate between now and the end of 2019. I think my dad's rig is a re-purposed 8400 (isn't that a xeon dual core?) and it runs 10 fine. That said, the MB is not what it once was and I'll have to build a new one for my mother and he'll get her current PC.

I doubt that 7 is completely done for considering that the majority of health facilities in America are small businesses and you cannot be HIPAA compliant on a non enterprise version of windows 10.

Windows 10 is a disaster for small businesses which cannot afford and really do not need an enterprise volume license.

And this is just one example. You can say pretty much ditto financial industry.

7 is supported for 3 more years, and then it'll be supported further after that, because MS will have no choice when the majority of PCs are still on 7. 10 is pretty much stalled -- only gained 5% in the past year while Windows 7 also gained.

Hopefully by 2020, MS will have fixed the biggest problems and privacy issues keeping businesses away from 10, and maybe actually added a useful feature or two rather than just more apps and gimmicks that most people just turn off right after installation.

I've said for some time that I would expect the support situation for 7 to be like XP with extensions simply due to large market share. However, there's a well documented history about how Windows upgrades work in the enterprise and those tend to be slow. Enterprise resistance to 10 is nowhere near the level in online forums like this and many are not sitting around and waiting for the end of Windows 7, even it that does get extended. We're moving forward at a mega bank, the county government in my area just upgraded and that's just going to continue as 2020 approaches.

I didn't get Windows 7 until August 2013. The plan I heard the other day is that technology groups at work are all slated globally to be on 10 by the end of 2018 and that you'll have to file an exception with a business justification to not get moved to 10. So basically we have the same situation that we've always had with migrations to new versions of Windows however with the significantly smaller new PC market than when 7 was released, there's slower consumer movement but business migrations seem to be on the same tracks as usual.

I doubt that 7 is completely done for considering that the majority of health facilities in America are small businesses and you cannot be HIPAA compliant on a non enterprise version of windows 10.

I think there's a lot of confusion about HIPAA and what that means. Telemetry that doesn't share user data isn't in violation of HIPAA. Telemetry that shares information concerning machine data, health, malware defense and updates don't violate HIAPPA guidelines and indeed running software that not updated running known vulnerabilities would be out of HIPPA compliance.

Windows 10 is a disaster for small businesses which cannot afford and really do not need an enterprise volume license.

No more so that those same small businesses that never gave a single thought to whatever business they conduct with smartphones. And there's TONS of that these days.

And this is just one example. You can say pretty much ditto financial industry.

Not really, the mega bank I work for is moving to Windows 10 and we will be off Windows 7 by the end of 2019.

I think there's a lot of confusion about HIPAA and what that means. Telemetry that doesn't share user data isn't in violation of HIPAA. Telemetry that shares information concerning machine data, health, malware defense and updates don't violate HIAPPA guidelines and indeed running software that not updated running known vulnerabilities would be out of HIPPA compliance.

No more so that those same small businesses that never gave a single thought to whatever business they conduct with smartphones. And there's TONS of that these days.

The amount of things you have to do to be compliant using a windows 10 system are impossible on a non enterprise version. The PII leak during MCRT transmissions alone invalidate the system from being HIPAA compliant, and that cannot be altered on a non enterprise version.

Not really, the mega bank I work for is moving to Windows 10 and we will be off Windows 7 by the end of 2019.

*shrug* I am sure they can afford the volume licensing and windows 10 is actually a fine OS if you can actually get ahold of it. I know that most of the large entities I work with refuse to move to it. I mostly work with airports and communications centers though.

Back