Microsoft Confirms $15 Windows 8 Upgrade

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Speculation that Microsoft would offer new computer buy upgrades to Windows 8 for $15 was confirmed on Thursday by Microsoft. The announcement was made on the same day the company released the next stage of its Windows 8 rollout. The upgrade program will be available for new PC’s with Windows 7 until Jan 31st, 2013.

Microsoft will offer the deal to computer buyers in 131 markets, including the U.S. and Canada.

Nice of them, but considering the Vista style roasting this OS is going to get, I doubt there will be many takers when it comes to non touch devices.

You can keep your Windows 8 and I'll keep my $15, thanks.

I don't see me changing to 8 for a while yet.

One thing Microsoft could do to increase adoption of Windows 8: $15 - $30 upgrades for everyone. Think about it, how many people paid to upgrade to Vista? Would anyone really want to pay $79+ to upgrade to something they may not like?

Hmmm...that means I give Microsoft a $20. I get the special thing I've always wanted and Microsoft gives me change then we both go away happy! That sounds delicious.

Even if Microsoft paid me $15 dollars I wouldn't switch. Not that I dislike windows 8, it is just that I really like windows 7.

I using the preview right now... I like it. I can't use certain programs...if they can get the compatibility up to par i'm in for one. It's got a clean look. Once you get used to where everything is...it's pretty cool. I actually like the Bing Sports window.

Now if it has those Vista driver issues and such, then I can see it getting slammed. But as long at it's stable as Windows 7, no worries.

Most advanced users will just by-pass the start screen anyway and use the desktop as per usual Windows.

I'm all for getting new stuff as I can but I really like Windows 7 so Ill definitely be waiting a while to hear some user impressions and reviews before I make the jump.

I agree with the"what's in it for me?"

Some guy buys a computer and then gets a cheap upgrade.

If I want to upgrade from my W7 I'm going to pay a busload more, and I've been using their products for years.

hopefully MS will have some good upgrade deals or one of those 3 packs for my family.

Honestly W7 is a good product, and I don't see much in W8 so far that would make me want to switch.:D

If they give an XP->8 upgrade for $15, I'll take it. Or, better yet, an XP->7 upgrade.

Nah. I'm running Seven until they pry it out of my cold, dead hands. Or at least offer a reason to upgrade. Or start making 26" touchscreen LCD's for $200.

Let's see, last time I bought a new computer with a new Windows OS version on the horizon was with Vista and I got a free upgrade to Win 7. Why should I pay for an upgrade this time, for an OS that won't bring me any important improvements since I wouldn't be buying anything with a touch screen.?

No, Microsoft can shove this upgrade where the sun don't shine!

This might make sense for the Bulldozer users as I think I saw benchies with win8 being a bit faster then win7. I'm not bothered by tiles. Biggest thing I don't like is the lack of DVD play back. But as long as GOM and VLC still do that then who cares. But it does make me wonder what else they removed... Anywho I'm on win7 and don't feel the need to upgrade so I too shall pass.

img-nothing-to-see-here-174.jpg

Let's see, last time I bought a new computer with a new Windows OS version on the horizon was with Vista and I got a free upgrade to Win 7. Why should I pay for an upgrade this time, for an OS that won't bring me any important improvements since I wouldn't be buying anything with a touch screen.?

No, Microsoft can shove this upgrade where the sun don't shine!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Windows upgrade offers never applied to enthusiasts in the past and I don't see that changing now. For the "free" Windows 7 upgrade from Vista that was offered before 7 came out, OEM and retail copies DID NOT QUALIFY. You know, the stuff we buy from the egg, NCIX, etc. This only applies if you buy a PC from specific brands (Acer, HP, Dell) at specific B&M stores ONLY.

For example, if you buy an HP consumer PC from Best Buy/Future Shop. You go to HP's website and it asks you what model and what store you bought it from. If you choose other, fill in the store manually and send in the offer on the website, they send you can email back saying tough shit.

I've tried to send in for these upgrades in the past using the coupon from an OEM copy of Vista and MS sent an email saying our retail doesn't qualify. It's a program for big brand names to clear stock from big box stores.

So don't anyone get their hopes up.

Oh, I forgot of course buying from Dell, HP direct from their websites qualify as well of course, but doesn't apply to people like us.

This might make sense for the Bulldozer users as I think I saw benchies with win8 being a bit faster then win7. I'm not bothered by tiles. Biggest thing I don't like is the lack of DVD play back. But as long as GOM and VLC still do that then who cares. But it does make me wonder what else they removed... Anywho I'm on win7 and don't feel the need to upgrade so I too shall pass.

I think it sucks too on a business basis - DVD playback is very much needed in the business environment - but as a home user I'm not bothered too much since I already use Arcsoft Total Media Theater for Blu-ray playback anyways.

Will this work on pirated copies of Windows 7?

Probably requires online activation/verification of your legit Win7 key.

Anyway, if they offered Win8 for $15 for all Win7 users, I'd go for it. Otherwise, meh.

I wouldn't pay $15 for a full retail copy of Windows 8. Sticking with Windows 7 at least until they get rid of Metro.

Nice of them, but considering the Vista style roasting this OS is going to get, I doubt there will be many takers when it comes to non touch devices.

Yep this. I would only like 8 on a touch screen device.

As much as people think this again the problem is that few people are running 8 on hardware that takes advantage of touch or even pens which 8 supports better than ever it looks.

When there's new hardware that runs faster than ever, is lighter than ever, gets better battery life than ever, runs apps never before seen on PCs and comes in form factors like detachable hybrids than most people haven't seen, it's going to be much harder to criticize Windows 8.

"It doesn't look like Windows 7 so it sucks. Yes, this new PC is the nicest I've ever had. The touch does come in handy. The battery life is amazing and the screen is fantastic. But Windows 8 sucks even though it does everything that Windows 7 does, only it runs faster."

Some of the criticisms of Windows 8 are like this already, like the location of the power control in the Charm Bar. OMG, it takes an extra click to turn it off. As though most people running Windows today do it on a laptop and turn off the machine or but it in sleep by closing the lid, that's zero extra clicks.

But I'm sure tons of people will be bitching about Windows 8 and Metro forever while most people will get new PCs, figure it out and then see all the slick hardware and apps that they've never seen before and not really care a flip about a power button that they never use.

There's no point in arguing about the merits of Windows 8. People take their operating system as seriously as they take everything else in life. It happens every single time a new version comes out. People scream, "You're not taking my [insert previous item here] away from me!" and yet end up moving on eventually to do the same thing the next time around.

For myself, I'll end up with Win8 when I buy a new PC, laptop, or maybe tablet (if they have a nice little docking station or convertiable model similar to the Transformer). Operating system upgrades outside of whatever ships with the computer aren't my thing anymore and neither is building something out of pieces unless it's a toy for stuff like VMWare.

There's no point in arguing about the merits of Windows 8. People take their operating system as seriously as they take everything else in life. It happens every single time a new version comes out. People scream, "You're not taking my [insert previous item here] away from me!" and yet end up moving on eventually to do the same thing the next time around.

For myself, I'll end up with Win8 when I buy a new PC, laptop, or maybe tablet (if they have a nice little docking station or convertiable model similar to the Transformer). Operating system upgrades outside of whatever ships with the computer aren't my thing anymore and neither is building something out of pieces unless it's a toy for stuff like VMWare.

And this is exactly how most people will get Windows 8, start using it on whatever device they buy and this debate will mean nothing to them. I think much of the hate over Windows 8 is that this is probably how it will play out ultimately and things like the Start Menu that people swear up and down are far more efficient than the Start Screen, well in real life that just won't prove to be the case.

Even if Windows 8 turns out to be a "failure" or isn't accepted in the enthusiast sector, they still have a lot of desktop market share to sit on, so I don't think any loss would negatively penetrate them substantially on the desktop. Microsoft sees $$$$$ in tablets, and will take long strides to get into and saturate whatever segment they can coup huge revenue from (and I think they will, imo) - even if it means screwing people over and shoving two completely different UI paradigms in our faces. They're actually known for this - it's the Microsoft way guys. :D

However, I think it's a little too late for them to butt in considering whats already out there, matured and situated in the current market. The dog fight between android and iOS is strong w/ android on slow but steady incline, both have strong, and matured developer communities... and let's face it, apple owns tablets. Can they strong-arm a chunk of that market share? We'll see. :)

Even if Windows 8 turns out to be a "failure" or isn't accepted in the enthusiast sector, they still have a lot of desktop market share to sit on, so I don't think any loss would negatively penetrate them substantially on the desktop. Microsoft sees $$$$$ in tablets, and will take long strides to get into and saturate whatever segment they can coup huge revenue from (and I think they will, imo) - even if it means screwing people over and shoving two completely different UI paradigms in our faces. They're actually known for this - it's the Microsoft way guys. :D

However, I think it's a little too late for them to butt in considering whats already out there, matured and situated in the current market. The dog fight between android and iOS is strong w/ android on slow but steady incline, both have strong, and matured developer communities... and let's face it, apple owns tablets. Can they strong-arm a chunk of that market share? We'll see. :)

I agree with a lot of this, but lets not forget, Intel and PC OEMs want Windows 8 with its touch centricity as well. Intel wants a strong x86 presence in tablets and Android ain't the OS for that. In the whole Windows 8 conversation people seem to only think about Microsoft and Intel has almost as much to gain or loose on Windows 8 as Microsoft, and Microsoft's PC partners do as well.

I don't think Windows RT is going to do a lot, but Intel touch laptops, convertibles and hybrids, those devices have a chance to really take off if they are good and the prices are right.

I agree with a lot of this, but lets not forget, Intel and PC OEMs want Windows 8 with its touch centricity as well. Intel wants a strong x86 presence in tablets and Android ain't the OS for that. In the whole Windows 8 conversation people seem to only think about Microsoft and Intel has almost as much to gain or loose on Windows 8 as Microsoft, and Microsoft's PC partners do as well.

I don't think Windows RT is going to do a lot, but Intel touch laptops, convertibles and hybrids, those devices have a chance to really take off if they are good and the prices are right.

Good point - pricing is a biggie. I've heard PC OEM manufactures are sort struggling to hit price targets due licensing charges being on a bit high from Microsoft. That and I'm not sure how well medfield/Clover Trail will fare with ARMs Cortex line. Any updates on that? Can you even run x86 applications on WoA?

Good point - pricing is a biggie. I've heard PC OEM manufactures are sort struggling to hit price targets due licensing charges being on a bit high from Microsoft. That and I'm not sure how well medfield/Clover Trail will fare with ARMs Cortex line. Any updates on that? Can you even run x86 applications on WoA?

No x86 apps on WoA which makes sense because emulation would suck and honestly I don't really know how useful it would be to offer on open desktop on ARM devices for traditional keyboard and mouse x86 apps. If one wants x86 apps then an x86 device is the way to go.

I am a little surprised to hear about higher licensing costs from Microsoft, that wouldn't seem to serve Microsoft's interests knowing full well that price will be a key point in getting people to buy new generation touch hardware. There's probably something more to the story than I've heard. But maybe it's just plain greed, not a foreign concept to Microsoft. I might be a Microsoft fanboy but I'm also an realist.

I do think people however are going to be surprised by how well Windows 8 works on x86 ARM devices. Windows 8, Metro aside, is faster and lighter than Windows 7 and Metro is pretty speedy. Not desktop replacement material by any stretch but a solid x86 device more things like Office and other basic apps. The desktop replacement devices will be the ultrabook class devices and there are going to be a number of hybrid devices in this category as well as slates that dock packing Ivy Bridge i5s. Those devices will be pricy but for a lot of people they will be all the desktop, laptop and tablet they'll ever need in on device. These are the devices that I think are going to make the case for Windows 8, and it seems like Intel thinks this too because they have been pushing ultrabooks and hybrids pretty hard with Windows 8.

h8terz gone h8 all day windows 8

find a new hobby or go back to Linux ya newbs

I've used Windows 8 (in a VM) for a few months now and Metro is starting to grow on me. All the stuff I use very often are still docked on the taskbar just like 7 and the rest that goes into the metro menu is actually easier to find than going through a giant list of small icons on the start menu. And the feature that I use the most often to launch rarely used programs.. the search box... is integral to the Metro UI...

I seriously don't get what all the fuss is about.

Or start making 26" touchscreen LCD's for $200.

Everyone who thinks this will be a viable solution, just hold your arm up and point at the middle of your screen for 10 minutes and see how that feels. Win8 is a complete failure on the desktop hands down.

Yeah you can, it's ugly though so I don't use the "folders" on my iPad

May bad, but that's still not what a group is in Metro. From researching it the iPad just stuff a bunch of icons the space of a normal icon until you select it. But no matter how you slice it the Metro Start Screen is simply more capable with live tiles and the ability to pin anything to it.

I seriously don't get what all the fuss is about.

Obviously this is what Microsoft hopes but what you described is how I see it. Again, it's change. Resistance is inevitable. Real world implications for most people not so much.

Blah blah blah. If you haven't tried the product, don't bash it. And if you are trying a product just to hate on it, then stick with whatever operating system you are using.

Every operating system Microsoft releases gets scrutinized and this isn't any different. And don't even get me started on "power users are going to hate on metro". If they are really power users, they should know the program names and the shortcuts. Takes at most 3 seconds to press the windows key , type the program name and press enter. Honestly, how many times do you guys spend your time on the start menu itself? Same goes for the metro. Its there if you need it and 95% of the time you will be in desktop mode.

Takes at most 3 seconds to press the windows key , type the program name and press enter. Honestly, how many times do you guys spend your time on the start menu itself? Same goes for the metro. Its there if you need it and 95% of the time you will be in desktop mode.

If one has tons of programs on a system, this is by FAR the easiest way to launch them. People act as though that have 10,000 programs installed on a system and by magic, scrolling through the Start Menu, by the grace of God it's WAY BETTER THAN METRO.

Half of the Metro hate makes no damned sense. The power options are in the charms and that makes someone less productive because they are spending more time turning off their computer which is probably a laptop that you'd just close the lid on?

Yes, there's plenty of legitimate concerns over Metro. Yes, it's different. Yes it is two UI paradigms in one OS. But the trivial nonsense of the power options that most people don't even look at these days, yes nonsense.

And for some reason Metro haters think in the iPad and tablet age that a 17 year old UI on a platform that many consider defunct, I mean this is the freeking post-PC era, that preserving that UI on a platform people are saying is dying is a good thing?

If Metro doesn't make sense, then nothing some Metro opponents does either. Post-PC era, behind in tablets, iPad ruling the world, let's concentrate on keyboard and mouse driven desktops. Sounds like a great idea.

If one has tons of programs on a system, this is by FAR the easiest way to launch them. People act as though that have 10,000 programs installed on a system and by magic, scrolling through the Start Menu, by the grace of God it's WAY BETTER THAN METRO.

Half of the Metro hate makes no damned sense. The power options are in the charms and that makes someone less productive because they are spending more time turning off their computer which is probably a laptop that you'd just close the lid on?

Even on the desktop, You can just press alt + f4 and it will bring up the option to shutdown/sleep/restart the computer.

Yes, there's plenty of legitimate concerns over Metro. Yes, it's different. Yes it is two UI paradigms in one OS. But the trivial nonsense of the power options that most people don't even look at these days, yes nonsense.

And for some reason Metro haters think in the iPad and tablet age that a 17 year old UI on a platform that many consider defunct, I mean this is the freeking post-PC era, that preserving that UI on a platform people are saying is dying is a good thing?

If Metro doesn't make sense, then nothing some Metro opponents does either. Post-PC era, behind in tablets, iPad ruling the world, let's concentrate on keyboard and mouse driven desktops. Sounds like a great idea.

Fact of the matter is Metro is just as easy using the keyboard + mouse. If one takes five minutes out of their life, they can learn all the shortcuts that are included with windows 8. But people would rather spend an hour bashing windows 8 even before the retail product is out.

Back