Microsoft Claims 71% Of Windows 10 Users Are Happy With Telemetry

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Microsoft is claiming that seven out of ten Windows 10 users have opted for the full telemetry settings since the Creators Update. What the blog post from Marisa Rogers, Windows Privacy officer fails to notice, is that means 29%, or 145 million people didn't just click through the default settings, and actively tried to restrict the OS from phoning home.

My problem with data collection in Windows 10, is there is no option for "Off," it's simply "On" or "Slightly less On." The 29% number is actually lot higher than I would expect, as most people just click next without reading the fine print. If there is anything that will finally push me to Linux, it's the rampant data collection going on from Microsoft.

Ever since Windows 10 was released, folks have been complaining the operating system is far too grabby and that it allows Redmond to collect huge volumes of intelligence on its users. In April the software giant responded by simplifying the collection.

I'm ok with the telemetry in the machines I have it turned on, why? Because those are Insider Preview machines and in exchange for a free Windows OS, I agree to keep certain telemetry metrics. That's a fair trade.

What isn't a fair trade is for those who purchased the OS at retail and still have telemetry. The difference between Google and MS data capture is that Google understands they need to give useful tools/apps/sites/etc as part of the trade. You accept the data capture to use their free stuff. Microsoft still wants people to pay for it when they really should be giving something in exchange for it.

"Have the full load of telemetry and receive 50Gb of OneDrive space!"

For example, 71 percent of customers are selecting Full diagnostics data to help us fix things and improve Microsoft products.
^^^ quote from the source blog post.

Baloney. Absolute baloney. What this *does* tell us is that 29% of users paid enough attention and care enough to turn it off. The 71% is a combination of people who either A) understand and are ok with it or actively like it, B) have no idea what it means, so they leave it at the default setting, or C) don't care, and leave it at the default setting. Any bets as to what percentage of people are in group A?

Now, if the dialog had *neither* option selected, and the user had to affirmatively choose one or the other before continuing, THEN the above quote might have a bit more credibility. But when "send all your data to Microsoft" is the default, I'm willing to bet that an overwhelming percentage of that 71% have no idea what's going on.

Don't use Windows 10 and never will. They'll have to pry Windows 7 out of my cold dead hands.
This will happen sooner than you think, 7's market share is bound to crash soon and the need for new API's in the gaming scene (Which is the best seller for new computers/parts right now on consumer level) will force the issue faster.

Linux is something I've wanted to switch to for ages, just waiting on the new API's to mature as even Dx12 is easy to emulate over Vulkan, so, yeah.

99% cannot turn it off, even when they tried, since only the ENT version allows this and you just cant buy that version.

What a load of crap from microsoft.
Yeah, and some things like delaying feature installations (spring/fall builds) is disabled if you run at Security (level 1) telemetry.

I have my 10 install set to CBB and 180 day delay of feature installations, and it won't work without allowing basic telemetry.

Its no accident that Windows 10 came out and MS advertising dollars started skyrocketing.

Before windows 10 MS advertising income was pathetic in comparison to the likes of google ect. Since windows 10 advertising has become MS largest reporting group in their "more computing" reporting unit. (which includes Windows home pro and enterprise, xbox, advertising... and a bunch of other crap.)

MS now makes more money on ads then they do selling windows to system makers... or enterprise clients.

That should scare the shit out of windows users. At the end of the day all corporations are driven by profit. When something makes them money they go out of their way to expand into that area. When any area shows amazing growth they focus on it.

What I am saying is MS data collection is only going to expand. Win 10 has proven the concept. The road ahead to great profits is clear. Now we (ok not we, you windows users) better pray Win 10s doesn't have metrics that prove it is even more profitable. (I'm not talking about massive sales I am saying if Win 10s looks to be making > profit % vs 10 home) I fully expect MS next move is to push OEMs hard to accept 10s by default... perhaps going as far as killing Windows Home OEM completely.

The next couple years should be interesting. I expect MS to ratchet it up... and I also expect that Google is fully aware that MS is starting to eat into an advertising pie that was mostly theirs not long ago. I have a feeling Google will start fighting back in some way... I know I have mentioned a Chorme OS pro many times, but even without it ChromeOS getting a bit enterprise push, doesn't sound as nutty as it would have 4-5 years ago.

If Google and MS do battle... it won't be over Operating Systems. It will be over the advertising platforms, as that is what windows (and chrome always sort of was) has become.

My problem with data collection in Windows 10, is there is no option for "Off," it's simply "On" or "Slightly less On."

Don't use Windows 10 and never will. They'll have to pry Windows 7 out of my cold dead hands.

Fun fact: The difference in volume of data collected and frequency of reporting between Windows 7 and Windows 10 is insignificant. Don't believe it? Fire up your protocol analyzer of choice and keep an eye on traffic to the following addresses:
  • settings-win.data.microsoft.com
  • vortex-win.data.microsoft.com

The difference from 7 to 10 is, MS now gives you upfront options for limiting data collection. Of course, no good deed goes unpunished.

Also, I can only assume people who are uppity about this kind of data collection don't use Google services. Or cell phones. Or have internet service. Or any other utilities. Or credit cards.

If you use a product or service, it's not reasonable to expect those you're acquiring the service from aren't keeping records about your usage, unless you have an explicit agreement to the contrary. If you think that's BS, go ahead and start a business that serves millions of customers, without collecting any data about how they use your product, how much of it they use, when they use it, or what kinds of issues they encounter, and let me know how it works out for you.

Microsoft is claiming that seven out of ten Windows 10 users have opted for the full telemetry settings since the Creators Update. What the blog post from Marisa Rogers, Windows Privacy officer fails to notice, is that means 29%, or 145 million people didn't just click through the default settings, and actively tried to restrict the OS from phoning home.

My problem with data collection in Windows 10, is there is no option for "Off," it's simply "On" or "Slightly less On." The 29% number is actually lot higher than I would expect, as most people just click next without reading the fine print. If there is anything that will finally push me to Linux, it's the rampant data collection going on from Microsoft.

Ever since Windows 10 was released, folks have been complaining the operating system is far too grabby and that it allows Redmond to collect huge volumes of intelligence on its users. In April the software giant responded by simplifying the collection.

Bet you this guy uses an Android or iOS cellphone... He's fine with that of course but Microsoft, oh no they can't collect my data but I'll let Google and Apple do it.

I'm ok with the telemetry in the machines I have it turned on, why? Because those are Insider Preview machines and in exchange for a free Windows OS, I agree to keep certain telemetry metrics. That's a fair trade.

What isn't a fair trade is for those who purchased the OS at retail and still have telemetry. The difference between Google and MS data capture is that Google understands they need to give useful tools/apps/sites/etc as part of the trade. You accept the data capture to use their free stuff. Microsoft still wants people to pay for it when they really should be giving something in exchange for it.

"Have the full load of telemetry and receive 50Gb of OneDrive space!"

My Windows 10 was free.... As all Windows 10 upgrades were free and are still free.

I'm sure our org will bring that number down a bit when we roll ~10k systems with it OFF. :) (correction - set to 'basic')

Bet you this guy uses an Android or iOS cellphone... He's fine with that of course but Microsoft, oh no they can't collect my data but I'll let Google and Apple do it.

There is a major difference between a cell phone and a desktop computer.

I don't ever plan to do my taxes on a cell phone. There are a great number of personal things I do on my desktop that I would never ever do on a cell phone.

They are NOT the same product.

6045169177_5413fb81b3.jpg

Fun fact: The difference in volume of data collected and frequency of reporting between Windows 7 and Windows 10 is insignificant. Don't believe it? Fire up your protocol analyzer of choice and keep an eye on traffic to the following addresses:

The difference from 7 to 10 is, MS now gives you upfront options for limiting data collection. Of course, no good deed goes unpunished.

Also, I can only assume people who are uppity about this kind of data collection don't use Google services. Or cell phones. Or have internet service. Or any other utilities. Or credit cards.

If you use a product or service, it's not reasonable to expect those you're acquiring the service from aren't keeping records about your usage, unless you have an explicit agreement to the contrary. If you think that's BS, go ahead and start a business that serves millions of customers, without collecting any data about how they use your product, how much of it they use, when they use it, or what kinds of issues they encounter, and let me know how it works out for you.

You know, its the strangest thing.... if I filter on either of those, they just seem to point back to 127.0.0.1 :D

The difference from 7 to 10 is, MS now gives you upfront options for limiting data collection. Of course, no good deed goes unpunished. ......

You must have let your system install the Win 7 telemetry updates. I have done my best to avoid those updates and the rule in my stand alone edge firewall that blocks those two addresses has never reported any attempts to send.

Hope you don't die when MS stops patching Windows 7 on January 14, 2020.

He won't die he will just be the newest victim of Identify theft after someone hacks his unpatched box.

And I hope he comes back to this thread on that day!

Back