Microsoft Certifications up to 50% Off for Students

I am very interested in this. Would these certifications help someone get a job as a computer repair tech?

@dark Possibly the support level ones for 7/Vista, but really A+ is still the standard for PC techs, and I think the hiring process will reflect that. A+ is lifetime too ( at least I think so ), its more valuable in that regard, though it's quite a bit more expensive. No substitute for experience either for those wondering (not to start a debate). Great find OP, wish I was still a student.

@dark Possibly the support level ones for 7/Vista, but really A+ is still the standard for PC techs, and I think the hiring process will reflect that. A+ is lifetime too ( at least I think so ), its more valuable in that regard, though it's quite a bit more expensive. No substitute for experience either for those wondering (not to start a debate). Great find OP, wish I was still a student.

A+ is lifetime till the end of this year. After that it is a 3 year cert.

Yea I understand. I worked as a computer repair tech for a couple companies over the course of 5 years, then I started to shift my focus toward pharmacy.
Now that I realize how expensive pharmacy school is, I have decided to go back to something I know I am good at.
I have never gotten a cert though. Oddly enough I always found myself explaining simple computer processes to my co-workers who had some certs.
So I suppose I will get my A+ this year for sure. Any other suggestions on what I should get to look more appealing as a potential employee?

PS. Sorry to thread jack, but this is a great deal and it really has got me thinking.

Check my thread for a good deal on other vendor testing. But yeah if you're a student, this is a can't touch opportunity from other offers.

55% off would be $56.25 OOP for you per test, along with the Second Shot, thats pretty stellar.

$60 with a free retry? Not bad, might give the MCDST a shot. Been interested in that anyways.

LOL, this is the normal price for students (with free retry).
If this was free, this would be so awesome (I'm 1 test away from my MCSA but I don't want to pay for it).

I may have to jump on this. I'm working on my BA in IT right now while minoring in Computer Science. I plan on going for my Masters after this as well. These certs worth it?

Microsoft and Cisco certs are great to have when job hunting for an IT position.

How long is this sale?

Also, check out http://learning.microsoft.com/Manager/catalog.aspx and type in the cert you want. Some of them have free online training courses. I've taken a few for some of my server classes and they are pretty cool. Thankfully the cert I want to get with this deal has free training.

Last edited:
Microsoft and Cisco certs are great to have when job hunting for an IT position.

Thanks. Does it matter that I probably won't be getting an IT job for a couple years or so after I finish off my degree? Like would it be detrimental to go ahead and get them now instead of waiting until after I graduate to get them. Do employers look for people with more recent certs?

Regarding what employers think of certs --- they usually don't care. Either you can answer their questions on a tech interview or not. Getting a cert is just a checklist for *you* that you know the right material.

Nice prices, my employer just sent me to the MCITP bootcamp. I got my MCITP in Server Administrator, which were the 70-640, 642 & 646.

The cumulative certs, MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA, etc. (or whatever they're called nowadays) are the only Micrsoft certs really worth having, so if you're not going to pursue any of those then I wouldn't wast my time or money. Don't get me wrong, having individual certs doesn't hurt, but if you have the experience and knowledge and can prove/demonstrate it, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just my .02

Regarding what employers think of certs --- they usually don't care. Either you can answer their questions on a tech interview or not. Getting a cert is just a checklist for *you* that you know the right material.
That's a common myth. Do not overlook the fact that not having certain certs will not get your resume past HR's desk, but rather into the trash can. The manager hiring you may not care about your certs, but often times he'll never get your resume from HR if you don't have any.

Either way, anyone serious about working in IT and being marketable should not overlook Microsoft certs, especially at this price.

IT jobs generally value "experience" the most. I have an assload of certs, (and B.S. in IT) but no experience, thus no IT job. All the jobs I've seen require like 2-10 years of experience.

IT jobs generally value "experience" the most. I have an assload of certs, (and B.S. in IT) but no experience, thus no IT job. All the jobs I've seen require like 2-10 years of experience.

That's the stuff I can't stand- you're absolutely right btw, but it's a vicious cycle they got going on. How the hell can you get 2-10 years experience if you can't even get your foot into the door?

That's the stuff I can't stand- you're absolutely right btw, but it's a vicious cycle they got going on. How the hell can you get 2-10 years experience if you can't even get your foot into the door?

start low. Internships with a tech company, or co-op program, or working in the tech department in the school your attending are all options to get started. All of which I've done...

But I don't have any certs... how hard are these tests...?

Sorry to sound like a n00b, but can someone with good knowledge of computers get one of the certifications offered? I don't have a strong desire to have an IT job as I am going to grad school for music performance. However, I want to be diversified in case I'm out of a job. Are any of these programs good for those who know alot about computer repairs but not anything in programing or internet IT stuff?

Sorry to sound like a n00b, but can someone with good knowledge of computers get one of the certifications offered? I don't have a strong desire to have an IT job as I am going to grad school for music performance. However, I want to be diversified in case I'm out of a job. Are any of these programs good for those who know alot about computer repairs but not anything in programing or internet IT stuff?
That's more up the CompTIA A+ and CIW Associate alley, but you could probably pass the MS 70-270 (MCP) -- it's very easy.

start low. Internships with a tech company, or co-op program, or working in the tech department in the school your attending are all options to get started. All of which I've done...

The 70-270 is just basic Windows XP operating stuff, a computer junkie that comes on [H] should do just fine on it.

The 70-290 & 70-291 is more about Windows Server (specifically 2003). You should know a little bit about system administration before taking it.

The Vista/Windows 7 is like the XP one, but updated to be about Vista/7.

All the other stuff are pretty specific and you need to know the product you're taking the exam on.

Beware: Some questions are quite cryptic and some answers have multiple solutions, but only one answer is "correct", so... yeah...

Do a couple of run through a practice test and you should do fine.

Last edited:
That's more up the CompTIA A+ and CIW Associate alley, but you could probably pass the MS 70-270 (MCP) -- it's very easy.

The 70-270 is just basic Windows XP operating stuff, a computer junkie that comes on [H] should do just fine on it.
Have you ever looked at the questions? They're confusing as hell.

As lucky said, some of the questions are quite confusing. I have 5 years of experience and finished my win network infrastructure test last year (got a great score btw). Some of the questions are garbage, why they include it on the test is beyond me, I'm glad I read 2 different books and watched 2 different videos for that test.

they mentioned this last week at the microsoft bus tour event that i attended here in wash. DC. Pretty cool for all you noobs that are looking for certs. I wish they had this shit back in the day

Back