Microsoft buys Nokia (Device Business)

So Microsoft pays less than half the price Google did for Motorola for a company that both produces better hardware and has a significantly stronger patent portfolio. Good job, Google.

So Elop tanked Nokia with WP and MS gets a bargain.. I don't see a Lawsuit coming.

So Elop tanked Nokia with WP and MS gets a bargain.. I don't see a Lawsuit coming.
I'm interested in seeing how this plays out.

This guy Elop takes over a company that has the #1 Mobile OS in the world....to kill the OS, kill the stock price, and then sell to MS for pennies on the dollar....AND gets his job back.

Very, very interesting....

Ugh, there goes any (already unrealistic) dream of Nokia producing an Android phone. Too bad.

Ugh, there goes any (already unrealistic) dream of Nokia producing an Android phone. Too bad.

Android wouldn't have saved Nokia, they'd have been just a bit player in an already crowded. i.e. Samsung market.

Android wouldn't have saved Nokia, they'd have been just a bit player in an already crowded. i.e. Samsung market.

Yeah, I'm sure that's true. But I think it would have helped them more than WP has so far. Their hardware/design is far beyond anything Samsung has put out the last couple years, IMO. Maybe not in terms of internal specs, but I'm sure that has been held back by WP more than Nokia (not that WP needs the fastest hardware to perform well like Android tends to need). I'm sure that counts for something to a lot of people. Esp. with the purdy colors they offer! Their AT&T partnership hasn't did them any favors either in the US.

Yeah, I'm sure that's true. But I think it would have helped them more than WP has so far. Their hardware/design is far beyond anything Samsung has put out the last couple years, IMO. Maybe not in terms of internal specs, but I'm sure that has been held back by WP more than Nokia (not that WP needs the fastest hardware to perform well like Android tends to need). I'm sure that counts for something to a lot of people. Esp. with the purdy colors they offer!

Lack of applications is a still a problem for Windows Phone but with this acquisition and a new CEO on the way, that's probably going to change, especially as Windows RT and Windows Phone come closer together.

Lack of applications is a still a problem for Windows Phone but with this acquisition and a new CEO on the way, that's probably going to change, especially as Windows RT and Windows Phone come closer together.

Blah Blah Blah..

Still no one buying those Phones or RT Tablets.

I personnaly hate the Nokia phone they are fucking Ugly. Just like WP and Metro.

Well they saved them before, cool they are still keeping the name around.

Due tell, can you with out using a search engine tell me which app's that WP Marketplace does not have, than Android/IOS have?

My question is asked because you seem to think quantity > quality. Not saying MS has more quality apps. But when there are a few 100-1,000 fart apps on Andriod/IOS.....you tend to wonder if rumors are spread about MS not "having enough apps" really ring true.

I have used all 4 major platforms and never once have I said "man it sucks this platform doesn't have this app".

I understand I am not everyone.....but still have yet to hear anyone say "WP Marketplace sucks ass man, cant even get ______ app on my phone"

All I hear is "not enough apps".......such a cookie cutter blanket statement with no validity other than counting the apps on each platform.

Blah Blah Blah..

I personnaly hate the Nokia phone they are fucking Ugly. Just like WP and Metro.

1.7 million may sound like no one........but its still a lot of units sold.

Way too much troll for me, brah.

Blah Blah Blah..

My Lumia 720 is just beautiful. Especially the camera which beats even Galaxy S4 at half the price.

My Lumia 720 is just beautiful. Especially the camera which beats even Galaxy S4 at half the price.

Funny too since the 521 is essentially a hit phone, and it being dirt cheap gives you a pretty damn good experience!

Nokia was dying before Elop got there.

Elop's burning platform leak killed symbian much quicker than previously anticipated.

Microsoft gave Nokia guaranteed money to sway Nokia to choose WP over android.

Even had Nokia chosen android, Samsung would still be dominant and all Nokia would have done is being in the same position as HTC.

All this logic makes sense... But why is it that the Trojan conspiracy still lingers in my mind?

Due tell, can you with out using a search engine tell me which app's that WP Marketplace does not have, than Android/IOS have?

From what I've heard/read/seen; basically any major 1st party social networking apps outside of Facebook (Instagram - which is ironic considering WP/Nokia has the best cameras, Vine, Twitter, Google+), major video/entertainment services (Youtube - lol, HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, Amazon Videos, etc.), and most major banks don't have apps out for WP. I bank with USAA, which is online only, so I depend on my phone to deposite checks and keep an eye on my accounts while I'm out, so that's a big no-go for me. Those alone are enough to deter me from considering WP for me or my wife. Those are what I would consider "quality" apps, outiside of the social networking apps since I don't mess with that crap. I may be wrong about some of those (which I'm sure you'll let me know if I am), but those are the ones I have consistantly heard reviewers and users complain about.

The Nokia Lumia series has always looked pretty good to me. From the opportunities I've had to try them they always felt pretty slick. I've been jonesing to jump to T-Mobile and give the Lumia 521 a try, but the lack of apps always made me a tad nervous (especially the apparent antagonism between MS and Google, since I regularly use several Google apps like Maps, Navigation and Mail and others like Talkatone). Though I could very well just be blowing it out of proportion.

Now that MS has direct control over Nokia may be the app situation will improve that much faster.

While some may have interpreted Wrench's reply as trolling...

This is pretty much how I see it also. I still haven't seen anyone pull a Windows Phone out. Anywhere. The only place I've seen them is on display.

I saw original iPhones the day after release at work. I saw original Droids within a week. I still see the occasional Blackberry around. New Windows Phones have been around since 2010 and I haven't seen one.

It's not uncommon for people in my workplace to have a supplementary device (i.e.: tablet) at their desk or with them, and I have yet to see a Surface. The majority are cellular iPads.

1.7 million may sound like no one........but its still a lot of units sold.

Way too much troll for me, brah.

No it isn't your not looking at the scales.. Android shipped what 150 million units.

1.7 Million units is nothing Brah. I've yet to come across a single windows phone, for BYOD (around 200 phones so far) Not a single WP phone.

While some may have interpreted Wrench's reply as trolling...

This is pretty much how I see it also. I still haven't seen anyone pull a Windows Phone out. Anywhere. The only place I've seen them is on display.

I saw original iPhones the day after release at work. I saw original Droids within a week. I still see the occasional Blackberry around. New Windows Phones have been around since 2010 and I haven't seen one.

It's not uncommon for people in my workplace to have a supplementary device (i.e.: tablet) at their desk or with them, and I have yet to see a Surface. The majority are cellular iPads.

Pretty much same here. I've seen some WPs out in the wild, but I can count them on one hand; one was a class mate, one was an instructor at school and the other a co-worker came in with the 1020 the other day (who said he's been using WP for the past few years now actually).

WP was pretty late to the smart phone game and has had a really hard time catching up to the same functionality and app support as iOS and Android. Good thing MS has deep pockets to keep WP support going, because they're going to need it.

Did anyone else have some shares of Nokia? Pleasantly surprised, I have a little bit not a lot but still pleasantly surprised I bought it oh soo very cheap 7 months ago. Though I am not really surprised anyone could have easily saw this coming because Microsoft lol.

I bet this should make things more efficient now that everything is under one roof.

I do wonder... The bought devices only. Who knows, maybe Jolla and Nokia end up doing some things together?

I guess this pretty much ends the interest of any third-party manufacturers?

I guess this pretty much ends the interest of any third-party manufacturers?

At this time, probably, it would have to depend on how well Windows Phone does going forward. Microsoft said it would continue to license to 3rd parties but Nokia is by far the dominate WP maker in small market right now that it hardly matters to the OEMs or Microsoft.

So Microsoft pays less than half the price Google did for Motorola for a company that both produces better hardware and has a significantly stronger patent portfolio. Good job, Google.

Google got a patent portfolio, Microsoft didn't (MS got a 10 year license on the Nokia's patents, but not the patents themselves)

MS did just basically unleash a potential new patent troll on the industry, though, as now Nokia owns a bunch of patents for products they don't make.

Side note, how is $7B "less than half" of $12.5B? Although fwiw the actual cost Google paid for Motorola after you subtract cash and what they sold off pieces for comes out to $4.2B

At this time, probably, it would have to depend on how well Windows Phone does going forward. Microsoft said it would continue to license to 3rd parties but Nokia is by far the dominate WP maker in small market right now that it hardly matters to the OEMs or Microsoft.

MS would still be smart to keep Samsung interested and continue to push cheaper versions of their phone. Infact trying to push anything more then one flag ship won't do much for WP8.

They really need to get word out on the 7 and 5 series phones. Super cheap, still provide excellent capability and could act as a backup phone if anything.

Google got a patent portfolio, Microsoft didn't (MS got a 10 year license on the Nokia's patents, but not the patents themselves)

MS did just basically unleash a potential new patent troll on the industry, though, as now Nokia owns a bunch of patents for products they don't make.

Side note, how is $7B "less than half" of $12.5B? Although fwiw the actual cost Google paid for Motorola after you subtract cash and what they sold off pieces for comes out to $4.2B

Plus Google got the better quality radio portfolio.

New devices to be named Microkia? Microsukia? NokiSoft? NookieSoft? We can have so much fun with this...

Anyway, this could be good for MS. I can see them coming out with feature-rich smartphones based on WP9...if they execute things properly. Like listening to their customers for likes and dislikes and actually implementing things correctly.

Like listening to their customers for likes and dislikes and actually implementing things correctly.

Let's not get carried away here with fantasies.

The problem with MS is that they're trying to take the Apple approach but they don't realize that they don't have anywhere near the clout that Apple has. (It kind of reminds me of HP with their TouchPad.) People buy Apple for the brand name. Just like a BMW or Mercedes or whatever. It's about the sense of being "elite". The Microsoft brand is the computer equivalent of the bargain-basement segment. The Kia of OSes.

They should just stick with the enterprise, and ride out their monopoly on the desktop.

Being a Nokia fan-boy this is an upsetting purchase. I really thought Nokia had the ability to make a come-back on the device side of things; they were finally doing things right.

I'm not so sure how well Microsoft will manage Nokia's devices. Sure; they are gaining tons of great employees but we all know MS will lay them off ASAP.
It's frightening to think that the Pureview phones may be nothing after this purchase. Nokia's optics were the best in the business and now Microsoft will probably have a lesser variety of products and plan to push only a few devices. Definitely no risky 41 mp smart phones in the future. We can only hope the MS Lumia devices are quality like Nokias were.

It will also be interesting to see where the Asha line goes. Asha was really beginning to show signs of greatness in the cheap ass cell phone market; I can only imagine any headway made there is totally a goner.

Let's not forget MS doesn't own the Nokia name. I think they will be able to use the name "Nokia" for the phone devices and feature phones but not for smart phones. This is bad news for MS as the people who bought WP8 in Europe bought it because of the Nokia name.

This is really a sad day for cell phone fans. MS was holding Nokia back because WP8 wasn't getting it done fast enough. Sure I like WP8 a lot but it lacks a lot of what Android does.

I'll be keeping my eye on the Android blogs and Jolla news; going to have to dump Nokia unless MS surprises me when their round of phones comes out late next year.

This is really a sad day for cell phone fans. MS was holding Nokia back because WP8 wasn't getting it done fast enough. Sure I like WP8 a lot but it lacks a lot of what Android does.

Nokia years ago, long before Elop got there, lost the ability to compete with Apple and Samsung. Apple and Samsung have been making almost all of the money in the phone business for sometime and many players have been struggling as a result.

I don't think Microsoft for now plans to change the overall strategy, I think they will try to speed things up and get top tier developers online much harder and faster but Windows Phone is on a decent path world wide even if it slow. I do wonder about the Asha line running Symbian, go figure, Nokia was selling a ton of those in the developing world and it technically makes Microsoft the #2 mobile phone maker world wide. Another irony. I would imagine being able to turn those Asha phones into cheap Windows Phones and moving customers to them is a top priority.

Asha phones have never ran Symbian.

Though, nothing stops Nokia from making new phones. They need to change branding but after two years they can use Nokia brand again for phones.

I really like my Nokia Windows Phone and I hope this works out, but Microsoft just has a track record of being really bad at hardware. Xbox has been successful (numbers-wise) and they've done a good job with some mice and keyboards, but almost everything else has been bungled beyond belief.

Though, in Windows-Phone-fanboy-looking-for-a-sliver-lining-land, I've noticed all of the major wireless carriers showing commercials that feature Lumia Windows Phones in the last few days. That's half the battle right there - just letting people know that WP even exists. Most carriers deny their existence and just push Android unless someone specifically wants an iPhone, then they'll sell one of those too.

From what I've heard/read/seen; basically any major 1st party social networking apps outside of Facebook (Instagram - which is ironic considering WP/Nokia has the best cameras, Vine, Twitter, Google+), major video/entertainment services (Youtube - lol, HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, Amazon Videos, etc.), and most major banks don't have apps out for WP. I bank with USAA, which is online only, so I depend on my phone to deposite checks and keep an eye on my accounts while I'm out, so that's a big no-go for me. Those alone are enough to deter me from considering WP for me or my wife. Those are what I would consider "quality" apps, outiside of the social networking apps since I don't mess with that crap. I may be wrong about some of those (which I'm sure you'll let me know if I am), but those are the ones I have consistantly heard reviewers and users complain about.

Once again, its too much that you have read and not so much of what you have experienced.

I am the type that I will try everything out so I know what i want and what works for me. Sure a review can tell you a lot....build quality, smoothness of the OS etc etc......

But if you only take reviews into account and not take the effort to try it yourself.....well you never know if you're fully satisfied.

I don't so social networking at all, so I am unsure if any of those social networking apps are around.

I use my youtube app once a month.....because I have a web browser and very rarely do I need to bring up youtube (normally I am hitting an external link).

I never have considered myself a power user when it comes to mobile. I just use what I use and you use what you use.

If there isn't a USAA app for WP, its because its not popular enough for a company to spend revenue to create an app. That is pretty much cut and dry.....

No it isn't your not looking at the scales.. Android shipped what 150 million units.

1.7 Million units is nothing Brah. I've yet to come across a single windows phone, for BYOD (around 200 phones so far) Not a single WP phone.

hmmm, let me take you back to elementary school, kid.

Follow me closely......

THERE IS ONE BLOODY COMPANY THAT MAKES ONE BLOODY TABLET RUNNING ONE BLOODY OS AND YOU WANT TO COMPARE IT TO AN OS THAT HAS FORTY MANUFACTURERS MAKING TABLETS FOR IT???!?!?!

Can you please stop trolling me......you're killing my buzz, brah.

Come at me with sales for 1 company, selling 1 tablet running droid. Then we can compare a little closer, mmmmk darling?

Back