Microsoft buys Nokia (Device Business)

While some may have interpreted Wrench's reply as trolling...

This is pretty much how I see it also. I still haven't seen anyone pull a Windows Phone out. Anywhere. The only place I've seen them is on display.

I saw original iPhones the day after release at work. I saw original Droids within a week. I still see the occasional Blackberry around. New Windows Phones have been around since 2010 and I haven't seen one.

It's not uncommon for people in my workplace to have a supplementary device (i.e.: tablet) at their desk or with them, and I have yet to see a Surface. The majority are cellular iPads.

You realize there are kids out there.....excuse me, by kids I mean adults......that actually buy things for the sole fact of their popularity?

Let's be honest.....you have people who talk a lot of shizzle about this, that, and the other. You have people who listen to them with out realizing they are being paid by ______ to lean more towards that product.

I try everything till I find the right one for me, with anything. I have owned 8 cars in the past 5 years. I have tried every manufacturer of laptop that I know of that is sold in the USA.

I don't solely rely on reviews, because all reviews are bias because its NOT you doing the review. No matter if its monetary, greed, or the reviewer having a fat hand saying the Galaxy Note II is toooooo biiiiiiig.......

It's so crazy that we have discussions about who sells more, who is better......they are ALL good other wise they would not be in business since the 1980's.....

Apple has great products, Microsoft has great products........why people even compare the 2 will hurt my brain forever since there is nothing to compare at all with them.

ugh I am tired now.....carry on with your trolling and lack of knowledge of really anything but trolling.

tl;dr : No one cares what you see in your workplace of 30-40 people. The only reason they bring their tablets to work is to show off to their fellow co workers "OH NANCY LOOK WHAT I GOT , YEAH ITS AN IPAD BITCH!!! SUCK IT"
"Dave, wha....what is that?" "oh this? yeah its my sweet google nexus 10 man...freaking epic brah, check out angry birds at this 10,398x 2384 resolution!"

CANDY CRUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Once again, its too much that you have read and not so much of what you have experienced.

I am the type that I will try everything out so I know what i want and what works for me. Sure a review can tell you a lot....build quality, smoothness of the OS etc etc......

But if you only take reviews into account and not take the effort to try it yourself.....well you never know if you're fully satisfied.

I don't have to experience the OS/Phone to know that important apps are missing from it that I rely on on my existing phone. I was just answering your question as to what apps I know that WP are missing without looking it up online.

I never have considered myself a power user when it comes to mobile. I just use what I use and you use what you use.

Well that's why WP is good for you then; you don't need to do much with your phone, which is good because WP can't do much (comparatively). I'm pretty sure that's not the case with most people here on a tech enthusiest forum, so you're not going to find many WP fans here (or anywhere else really, heh, but esp. here).

If there isn't a USAA app for WP, its because its not popular enough for a company to spend revenue to create an app. That is pretty much cut and dry.....

Hmm... then I guess Citibank, CapitalOne, HSBC, TD Bank PNC Bank, Amazon, Google (Hangouts/messenger, Drive, maps, music, voice, etc.) BBC (News), Twitter/Vine/Instagram, Yahoo (weather/messenger/news), Dropbox, and many more are not "popular enough to spend the revenue to create an app"..?

Let me fix that quote for you;

If there isn't a USAA app for WP, its because WP is not popular enough of a platform to spend effort to create an app. That is pretty much cut and dry.....

You realize there are kids out there.....excuse me, by kids I mean adults......that actually buy things for the sole fact of their popularity?

Let's be honest.....you have people who talk a lot of shizzle about this, that, and the other. You have people who listen to them with out realizing they are being paid by ______ to lean more towards that product.

I try everything till I find the right one for me, with anything. I have owned 8 cars in the past 5 years. I have tried every manufacturer of laptop that I know of that is sold in the USA.

I don't solely rely on reviews, because all reviews are bias because its NOT you doing the review. No matter if its monetary, greed, or the reviewer having a fat hand saying the Galaxy Note II is toooooo biiiiiiig.......

It's so crazy that we have discussions about who sells more, who is better......they are ALL good other wise they would not be in business since the 1980's.....

Apple has great products, Microsoft has great products........why people even compare the 2 will hurt my brain forever since there is nothing to compare at all with them.

ugh I am tired now.....carry on with your trolling and lack of knowledge of really anything but trolling.

tl;dr : No one cares what you see in your workplace of 30-40 people. The only reason they bring their tablets to work is to show off to their fellow co workers "OH NANCY LOOK WHAT I GOT , YEAH ITS AN IPAD BITCH!!! SUCK IT"
"Dave, wha....what is that?" "oh this? yeah its my sweet google nexus 10 man...freaking epic brah, check out angry birds at this 10,398x 2384 resolution!"

CANDY CRUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

You seem pretty upset, as if you're taking the success or failure of a phone platform personally. You don't communicate as if you're the type to own very much of a high value stock though. If you were truly invested in the platform, you'd be jumping for joy at the cash that Nokia stock owners just got.

If you're so confident in the success of Windows Phone, why do you degrade to inane ranting so quickly when posting in threads like this? Little to none of your post is even relevant to the post of mine you quoted.

I truly couldn't care less what phone platform succeeds or fails, as I'm not personally invested in any of them.

hmmm, let me take you back to elementary school, kid.

Follow me closely......

THERE IS ONE BLOODY COMPANY THAT MAKES ONE BLOODY TABLET RUNNING ONE BLOODY OS AND YOU WANT TO COMPARE IT TO AN OS THAT HAS FORTY MANUFACTURERS MAKING TABLETS FOR IT???!?!?!

Can you please stop trolling me......you're killing my buzz, brah.

Come at me with sales for 1 company, selling 1 tablet running droid. Then we can compare a little closer, mmmmk darling?

Patronizing much?

If Android isn't a fair comparison, then you're welcome to put it up against iOS.

It would probably be more respectable to argue that WP / RT hasn't sold a lot because it's still new and hasn't caught on yet. That would at least be a presentable argument. Saying "1.7 mill is still a lot" doesn't really mean anything. Yes, compared to zero, 1.7 million is a lot of sales.

Being a Nokia fan-boy this is an upsetting purchase. I really thought Nokia had the ability to make a come-back on the device side of things; they were finally doing things right.

I'm not so sure how well Microsoft will manage Nokia's devices. Sure; they are gaining tons of great employees but we all know MS will lay them off ASAP.
It's frightening to think that the Pureview phones may be nothing after this purchase. Nokia's optics were the best in the business and now Microsoft will probably have a lesser variety of products and plan to push only a few devices. Definitely no risky 41 mp smart phones in the future. We can only hope the MS Lumia devices are quality like Nokias were.

It will also be interesting to see where the Asha line goes. Asha was really beginning to show signs of greatness in the cheap ass cell phone market; I can only imagine any headway made there is totally a goner.

Let's not forget MS doesn't own the Nokia name. I think they will be able to use the name "Nokia" for the phone devices and feature phones but not for smart phones. This is bad news for MS as the people who bought WP8 in Europe bought it because of the Nokia name.

This is really a sad day for cell phone fans. MS was holding Nokia back because WP8 wasn't getting it done fast enough. Sure I like WP8 a lot but it lacks a lot of what Android does.

I'll be keeping my eye on the Android blogs and Jolla news; going to have to dump Nokia unless MS surprises me when their round of phones comes out late next year.

How was MS holding Nokia back? It was their own stupid choice to first try to make their own OS, then move back to Symbian and never move to android early on. During that whole time Asian makers were getting better fast. Nokia now has nothing left. If Nokia dropped everything and went android right now, nothing would change, the company would still be a joke. They don't make anything, not even phones anymore. Nokia has been a train wreck for a decade. Even if they had went android back when they first decided to go windows phone it still wouldn't have worked. Nokia was a great company because they got the early jump on the fast growing European cell market. But since then they have not been able to do anything but ride on their coat tails. MS gave them at least something unique to offer.

The most puzzling thing about all this is why MS would flush billions down the toilet on Nokia. Also now Nokia can finally take their rightful place as a patent troll.

I like WP, I have a Nokia WP and I love it. I dislike androids, because for me they are glitchy and unstable. I feel as though I have to reset my device every month just to keep it working smooth. I have yet to do that with my WP, and I have had it for about a year. The only app I cannot get on my WP that I want is candy crush :)

Lack of applications is a still a problem for Windows Phone but with this acquisition and a new CEO on the way, that's probably going to change, especially as Windows RT and Windows Phone come closer together.

Windows phone and RT should have been the same OS from the beginning but alas, MS has their head so far up their rear end, they had to come to the same conclusion after wasting untold millions on the flop known as RT....

Maybe this new CEO will pull their corporate head out of their rear end and actually start listening to their customers for a change....

You seem pretty upset, as if you're taking the success or failure of a phone platform personally. You don't communicate as if you're the type to own very much of a high value stock though. If you were truly invested in the platform, you'd be jumping for joy at the cash that Nokia stock owners just got.

If you're so confident in the success of Windows Phone, why do you degrade to inane ranting so quickly when posting in threads like this? Little to none of your post is even relevant to the post of mine you quoted.

I truly couldn't care less what phone platform succeeds or fails, as I'm not personally invested in any of them.

No, you're wrong and nothing of the sort.

I just cannot understand for the life of me why people take reviews and what they read from others and turn that into personal experince to talk about.......

In the fitness world its called "broscience".......thats what a lot of people do here on forums which is just silly and irks me to no end.

As I asked the person above if they used a Windows Phone yet and which app's that Windows Phone doesn't have that he would want.....answer: ""derp herping shiggy I here these rumors on these internetz.....""

It's like being the biggest editor for Car and Driver, and you've never stepped foot in a car ever.....BUT, you watch Top Gear!!!

And before you say I am a WP fanboi.......I gave this same argument when the Droid/IOS arguments where like wildfire....How can one talk trash about a company in which they have not used their products?

IE; PC fanbois never even touching an Apple product......vis versa.....

I don't have to experience the OS/Phone to know that important apps are missing from it that I rely on on my existing phone. I was just answering your question as to what apps I know that WP are missing without looking it up online.

Well that's why WP is good for you then; you don't need to do much with your phone, which is good because WP can't do much (comparatively). I'm pretty sure that's not the case with most people here on a tech enthusiest forum, so you're not going to find many WP fans here (or anywhere else really, heh, but esp. here).
;

Please, do enlighten me..........What do you do with your phone and which app's are important to you?

http://www.infragistics.com/communi...-ios-android-windows-phone-amp-windows-8.aspx

"In the end, we’re left with a few key apps that are missing either because some of these developers (reportedly) love sticking it to Microsoft, or they just don’t feel the platform is important enough. This includes Instagram, Pinterest, Instapaper, Readability, Trulia, WebMD, and various Yahoo apps," the report states.

Before we dive into the data, lets see how many apps are available in each store. Windows Phone has over 160,000 apps in its Store, which is a tiny number compared to iOS's 900,000 apps and Android's over 1 million apps. Windows Store (for Windows 8 and Windows RT) currently sits at over 110,000 apps. Although iOS has a ton of apps, only two thirds of iOS apps are never even downloaded or installed. So while 900,000 may seem like an impressive number, lots of those apps are never even downloaded!

Last edited:
well it doesn't matter if it is broscience it affects sales.

I really like my Nokia Windows Phone and I hope this works out, but Microsoft just has a track record of being really bad at hardware. Xbox has been successful (numbers-wise) and they've done a good job with some mice and keyboards, but almost everything else has been bungled beyond belief.

Though, in Windows-Phone-fanboy-looking-for-a-sliver-lining-land, I've noticed all of the major wireless carriers showing commercials that feature Lumia Windows Phones in the last few days. That's half the battle right there - just letting people know that WP even exists. Most carriers deny their existence and just push Android unless someone specifically wants an iPhone, then they'll sell one of those too.

MS has had some failures but for the most part I'd say their hardware has been good. They have had a history in a sense of making hardware to push their software and then back out as others come in. Their usb speakers come to mind(which were good). Their joystiqs were good(just a dead market although one could say they used some knowledge for the xbox line). If anything they are ahead of their time with stuff. The watch comes to mind. WebTV in a sense did too although that survived a long time.

I like WP, I have a Nokia WP and I love it. I dislike androids, because for me they are glitchy and unstable. I feel as though I have to reset my device every month just to keep it working smooth. I have yet to do that with my WP, and I have had it for about a year. The only app I cannot get on my WP that I want is candy crush :)

I kinda agree with you. I have not been happy with android. For the most part I've been happy with iOS despite its flaws. I really liked windows phone 7's interface but at the time my only choice was a HTC phone and I personally would rather carry a flip phone. Gave in and bought a lumia 1020. So far I love it. I have a few friends who are IT support that have bought other windows 8 phones as well. Most of them seem very happy with them. I think my brother just got a 928 as well as he was getting really pissed at android.

Here is hoping that MS does more with Nokia then google has done with Motorola.

Just for the record their is a huge difference between being bad at hardware and making something that sucks. Ironically MS worst product the xbox 360 was a smash hit, and their best products as far as design are considered have been failures. lol so maybe the worse they are the better it will sell. Surface is one of the better tablets I have laid my hands on. Zune was also great, never had much bad to say about their mice and keyboards. The problem is the consumers just didn't seem to care. They could never get any hype rolling on these devices.

But in the end the proof is in the pudding and I personally have not owned a single one of those devices. This is one piece of evidence that MS should get out of hardware. Doing it right isn't good enough. Sometimes a company has a stigma associated with it that makes it difficult to do much. For MS their OEMs always undercutting them is just not something they can overcome.

Just for the record their is a huge difference between being bad at hardware and making something that sucks. Ironically MS worst product the xbox 360 was a smash hit, and their best products as far as design are considered have been failures. lol so maybe the worse they are the better it will sell. Surface is one of the better tablets I have laid my hands on. Zune was also great, never had much bad to say about their mice and keyboards. The problem is the consumers just didn't seem to care. They could never get any hype rolling on these devices.

But in the end the proof is in the pudding and I personally have not owned a single one of those devices. This is one piece of evidence that MS should get out of hardware. Doing it right isn't good enough. Sometimes a company has a stigma associated with it that makes it difficult to do much. For MS their OEMs always undercutting them is just not something they can overcome.

Arguably, the Surface and Surface Pro have a few design flaws of their own, some of which ties back to the software.

The Surface launched with an old processor (the Tegra 3 first shipped a year earlier), so it was at an inherent disadvantage. Having a 1,366 x 768 display in a $500 tablet wasn't smart when Apple, Google and others had high-resolution panels. Microsoft was also more than a little optimistic about Windows RT's chances -- the company launched a platform with neither backward compatibility (Windows' real strength) nor the wide app ecosystem it needed to take on Apple or Google.

Surface Pro? It had the advantage of both a modern processor and backward compatibility, but it was priced like an Ultrabook without the battery life advantages. Getting less than four hours of real-world battery life doesn't cut it when laptops circa early 2013 were already getting 6-plus hours of juice. Haswell chips will improve that longevity, but they've also improved Ultrabooks (see the 12 hours of real use from a MacBook Air).

I'd say Microsoft's real issue with hardware is that it often designs gadgets as reactions to someone else's breakthrough, rather than as breakthroughs themselves. Zune only existed because of the iPod, but it was never fundamentally better than the iPod -- no one was going to jump ship because of FM radio or getting to "squirt" songs. Surface only exists because of the iPad, but its selling points are a detachable keyboard (already available for iPads) and Office (no point when tablets are often secondary devices). Microsoft needs to ask itself how it can move the entire industry forward. Hopefully, the Nokia execs joining Microsoft are more progressive.

lol nokia execs have completely botched their entire company, there is not a penny worth of forward thinking there.

Nokia years ago, long before Elop got there, lost the ability to compete with Apple and Samsung. Apple and Samsung have been making almost all of the money in the phone business for sometime and many players have been struggling as a result.

I don't think Microsoft for now plans to change the overall strategy, I think they will try to speed things up and get top tier developers online much harder and faster but Windows Phone is on a decent path world wide even if it slow. I do wonder about the Asha line running Symbian, go figure, Nokia was selling a ton of those in the developing world and it technically makes Microsoft the #2 mobile phone maker world wide. Another irony. I would imagine being able to turn those Asha phones into cheap Windows Phones and moving customers to them is a top priority.

I still believe if the N8 came with Symbian Anna (I believe that was the better version than what it shipped with) we'd be singing a different tune.

Nokia was on a downward spiral, but the CEO telling the world that Symbian sucks didn't help. After Elop released the "burning platform" memo the UK market reacted badly. Retailers weren't going to sell products without support and that's really when Android was just about ready to blast off. Symbian at the time wasn't horrible, and about a year later it was way better than I imagined it could become. Realistically Nokia may have been screwed no matter what happened and all is said and done now.

I truly hope Microsoft can continue what Nokia started w/ WP8. How Microsoft will sell smartphones overseas without the "Nokia" name still boggles my mind. Nokia's name sold the product before the OS. MS, for some reason, feels like this is only still true in emerging markets. Microsoft really can use the "xbox" name to their advantage in the emerging markets as well, I would think.

Back