Microsoft Builds New AI Bot To Ignore Hitler

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Microsoft is trying to play it safer this time after their last bot incident, though I’m not sure why they didn’t just program it to return a name and nothing else.

CNNMoney gave CaptionBot several photos of Adolf Hitler and variations of the swastika to analyze, and it often came back with "I really can't describe the picture" and a confused emoji. It did, however, identify other Nazi leaders like Joseph Mengele and Joseph Goebbels. Microsoft (MSFT) released CaptionBot a few weeks after its disastrous social experiment with Tay, an automated chat program designed to talk like a teen. Shortly after putting Tay to work on Twitter, it began to tweet incredibly racist comments like "Hitler was right I hate the jews."

Tay, an automated chat program designed to talk like a teen. Shortly after putting Tay to work on Twitter, it began to tweet incredibly racist comments like "Hitler was right I hate the jews."

The articles about this are fascinating. I am really fascinated by the whole "intolerant of intolerance" movement we got going on in the civilized nations.

Heres from a Verge article.

Pretty soon after Tay launched, people starting tweeting the bot with all sorts of misogynistic, racist, and Donald Trumpist remarks.

Tweeting "Bruce Jenner" at the bot got similar mixed response, ranging from "caitlyn jenner is a hero & is a stunning, beautiful woman!" to the transphobic "caitlyn jenner isn't a real woman yet she won woman of the year?"

Hey journalists at Verge, I don't think "transphobic" means what you think it means. Also using the word "jew" is not universally "racist"....at least as far as I know Jews are not a recognized race....yet.

Hey journalists at Verge, I don't think "transphobic" means what you think it means. Also using the word "jew" is not universally "racist"....at least as far as I know Jews are not a recognized race....yet.

The SJWs at The Verge don't understand the difference, and don't care to learn. They're too busy tossing out insult bombs.

So it is really not an AI bot anymore. Once you start limiting it, it is not AI.

As for them letting people on the net "teach" it whatever they want.. well of course that is going to end badly.

I think Microsoft is using all of the trolls as a learning experiment. I just watched a documentary about algorithms (BBC, on Netflix now) and they interviewed many people at Microsoft Research. They have some interesting machine learning projects. It talked a bit about how they did the Kinect as well, loading it with millions of photos of human movement to "teach it" what to look for.

OK, so they eliminated Hitler. Hope they included the long list of other lunatics in it's file of subjects not to be mentioned. Stalin, Tito, Idi Amin, pick any dictator. Then we can start on the seriel killers who had a 'type'. Or Dr Mengele. I'm sure the netizens will be able to get the bot to start mouthing off some other really nasty things with enough trying. Should be interesting to see how long it takes this time around.

They need to just region lock these and keep the Japanese one going and drop this one.

What they have proven so far is what many already knew, the Japanese culture is much better than ours. That one is getting them what they want. The English one is just showing that we are a horrible fucking culture.

Brought to you by the same dorks who thought removing the start menu was a good idea.

What exactly does the company gain with these lobotomised chat bots?

Brought to you by the same dorks who thought removing the start menu was a good idea.

What exactly does the company gain with these lobotomised chat bots?
peoples clicks and publicity. Here we are talking about them good or bad we are still mentioning them.

What they have proven so far is what many already knew, the Japanese culture is much better than ours. That one is getting them what they want.

A bunch of repressed young Japanese men who mass-produce and fap to artwork depicting pedophilia and sexual violence? Not sure who else would be interested in chatting with a teenager chat-bot, normal people think teenage girls are a pain in the ass.

Back