Microsoft Building “Modern” Version of Windows 10 for PCs with Windows Core OS

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Microsoft is building a lighter, more battery-efficient version of Windows 10 called “Polaris” that will leave behind legacy components and features. Polaris will not be able to run Win32 programs natively, although it may be able to do so via virtualization. It is expected to release in 2019.

Polaris will become the new "mainstream" version of Windows 10 for the Average Joe. That's why Polaris is so important. The Windows 10 shipping today is bogged down by legacy components that the average user doesn't even know about or need, and it's getting harder for Microsoft to compete with more lean, modern operating systems like Chrome OS or iOS.

The ability to run your own programs is now a "legacy" feature... I guess MS didn't like people brute forcing their way to disable telemetry.

This is why they're even being more transparent about telemetry in the future. They're trying to make deprecating Win32 more palatable.

Isn't like every single PC game Win32?

Last edited:
"The Windows 10 shipping today is bogged down by legacy components that the average user doesn't even know about or need, and it's getting harder for Microsoft to compete with more lean, modern operating systems like Chrome OS or iOS."

Boy, I'm sure glad I started using LInux as my main OS when Win 10 came out (dual booting). I want nothing to do with Polaris, Chrome OS and iOS mode of computing. And in regards to Windows 10 Apps, I haven't come across 1 I'd use as opposed to the legacy Win32 application that handles the same job (although, I haven't even looked in the last 6 months). These days, I only use Windows 10 for gaming.

I think most of the steam ui is still 32-bit. The executable is, anyway.

Boy, I'm sure glad I started using LInux as my main OS when Win 10 came out (dual booting). I want nothing to do with Polaris, Chrome OS and iOS mode of computing.

You may not but clearly a lot do.

And in regards to Windows 10 Apps, I haven't come across 1 I'd use as opposed to the legacy Win32 application that handles the same job (although, I haven't even looked in the last 6 months). These days, I only use Windows 10 for gaming.

The Store now hosts a lot of Win32 Centennial bridged apps. There are number of decent apps in the Store now, Xodo might be the best PDF reader/lightweight editor for Windows today.

Microsoft is again making anti-consumer choices.

If you can't run legacy Windows applications why run Windows?

Obviously one of the advantages of Windows is the enormous Win32 library of applications and support. But getting Windows to run well on cheap hardware that people wouldn't typically run Win32 apps on anyway makes sense. I see this more as an attempt to better scale Windows across more devices, including phones given the demise of Windows 10 Mobile, not so much a replacement of traditional Windows.

You may not but clearly a lot do.

None that I know personally, but then, I know mostly developers and people running small businesses.

The Store now hosts a lot of Win32 Centennial bridged apps. There are number of decent apps in the Store now, Xodo might be the best PDF reader/lightweight editor for Windows today.

Too late, the lack of trust I have in Microsoft now and the lack of control in Windows 10 has moved me to Linux. I'm actually running all the same applications that I ran under Windows (jEdit, Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre Office, Eclipse, g++, Octave, etc).

Would Centennial applications work under Polaris if they're removing all Win32isms?

Obviously one of the advantages of Windows is the enormous Win32 library of applications and support. But getting Windows to run well on cheap hardware that people wouldn't typically run Win32 apps on anyway makes sense. I see this more as an attempt to better scale Windows across more devices, including phones given the demise of Windows 10 Mobile, not so much a replacement of traditional Windows.

If Microsoft spent half as much time and effort listening to it's current customers as they spend pissing on them, then that might be a good idea.

MS wants what Apple has in iOS app store. The appears as just another attempt to do so. Your existing programs and applications don't work? Try our alternatives in the Windows Store.

Too late, the lack of trust I have in Microsoft now and the lack of control in Windows 10 has moved me to Linux. I'm actually running all the same applications that I ran under Windows (jEdit, Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre Office, Eclipse, g++, Octave, etc).

Would Centennial applications work under Polaris if they're removing all Win32isms?

I'm all for people using what works for them. I'm not happy with everything that Microsoft has done with Windows 10 but it still supports all the things I need for work and play way better than Linux and there are changes in 10 that I actually do like. I've long been a fan of tablet PCs/2-in-1s/convertibles and Windows 10 I think executes the idea very well.

If Microsoft spent half as much time and effort listening to it's current customers as they spend pissing on them, then that might be a good idea.

There's clearly a base of traditional desktop Windows users that hate 10 for a number of understandable reasons and I've never really debated that. I think some of the complaints enter into the Tin Foil Universe over things like telemetry but sure, there should be an off switch.

I think the market for bits and bytes desktop user simply isn't what it used to be and that Linux has long been an alternative for that crowd anyway. But I agree that Microsoft hasn't paid the attention to the group that it probably should have.

MS wants what Apple has in iOS app store. The appears as just another attempt to do so. Your existing programs and applications don't work? Try our alternatives in the Windows Store.

Of course Microsoft wants other revenue streams besides OS licensing at the consumer level. Consumers don't by OSes directly anymore.

I guess somebody finally figured out a use for all this extra processor power... trim the legacy crap and emulate it instead. Sure it uses more resources than running it natively, but most people have the resources to do so.

Personally, I kind of enjoyed the MS-DOS days of having to tailor your OS so you could run your game. After a couple times, boot disks aren't needed, just an empty command prompt. One line for mouse support, one line for cd-rom support. Maybe a 3rd line if you need to load himem or emm386. Most of the fun was getting the game to work... I tend to get bored of the games themselves.

Yes, any application that is moved over using the Centennial bridge has been wrapped in UWP shell and will run on any version of windows 10 with little to no rework. Problem just comes down to most companies and devs don't want to move there apps for whatever reason.

I have had three projects now that required special, custom in-line apps be moved to UWP for a few clients and I think the longest it took to get a working beta was 2 weeks. Ever dev bitched up a storm when we asked them to do it saying how hard it would be and how nothing would work but that was never the case. Most the of the moves from start to final build only took about 4 months and all the apps work just as good or better than they did in native win32.

Another thing noone has asked for but will get shoved down your throat.

MS is not putting a gun to anyone's head. Don't like what they are doing, there is BSD and Linux. Stop being little bitches and whining. Are you one of those that already switch but still want to gloat, your even worse! I think its an excellent move. Windows 7 still has support for all my "legacey" apps at work. Fact is all those legacey apps are still there because some non-IT manager wont justify the upgrade budget or wontput their foot down on some slacker devs.

Win 10 mobile flopped, so lets do it again. Sounds like a great idea.

No one wants to run iOS on their laptop/desktop. No one wants to do the same with Microsoft's OS. They have practically zero chance of entering the mobile market now, no need to beat that dead horse.

If there's a Polaris, then there also must be A.L.I.E.

Welcome to the Ark.

They are trying hard with windows 10 to obosset everythng and force us into a mac like enviroment. if i wanted this i would have bought a mac.

I have no issue with this new version of Windows itself. However, except for play amywhere games, they have taken a piss on the store and have not done anything with it.

MS had years to get the store ready bit have not. Therefore, Polaris is DOA.

MS is not putting a gun to anyone's head. Don't like what they are doing, there is BSD and Linux. Stop being little bitches and whining. Are you one of those that already switch but still want to gloat, your even worse! I think its an excellent move. Windows 7 still has support for all my "legacey" apps at work. Fact is all those legacey apps are still there because some non-IT manager wont justify the upgrade budget or wontput their foot down on some slacker devs.
I want to be able to play all my games and not get fucked by my OS. This didn't use to be an either / or situation.

Win 10 mobile flopped, so lets do it again. Sounds like a great idea.

No one wants to run iOS on their laptop/desktop. No one wants to do the same with Microsoft's OS. They have practically zero chance of entering the mobile market now, no need to beat that dead horse.

It's not exactly Windows 10 mobile as it seems the ability to run Win32 apps in some fashion will be there.

I have no issue with this new version of Windows itself. However, except for play amywhere games, they have taken a piss on the store and have not done anything with it.

MS had years to get the store ready bit have not. Therefore, Polaris is DOA.

No doubt the Store is a sore spot for Windows today. Lots more apps is really the only solution but hard to top that compared to Win32 especially on the desktop.

Windows 10 is as capable gaming OS as there is at least on the desktop.
On Win10 we have forced updates that can break older game support (the Fall Creator's Update has done so) at any time, without a recourse. Yeah, it's capable, but I call that being fucked by my OS. Now MS is talking about dropping 32 bit support altogether. If they do an astounding job on emulating it, sure, then all it will mean is a speed hit, just color me skeptical.

It does make sense to do this I think for some devices. Will be extremely hard to give up Win32 though. I really doubt users and software developers will buy into exclusively using the Windows Store. Microsoft will have to open it up so other vendors can sell UWP.

Where is the 16bit application love? I have to use another computer to play castle of the winds. It'll just be the same except for 32bit. Boo hoo. I'd just like windows to stop being so damn bloat. Why does an os need to take 20gb+ of drive space?

Hmm, why do I suspect for all this bitching and moaning, if you spend about 4 minutes researching your purchase and don't go: "OOOH! an $180 windows pc I must have it! OF course it will work well!!!" that none of thiis will really be an issue in terms of doing everything you are used to doing on your PC.

Where is the 16bit application love? I have to use another computer to play castle of the winds. It'll just be the same except for 32bit. Boo hoo. I'd just like windows to stop being so damn bloat. Why does an os need to take 20gb+ of drive space?

That is probably the exact reason for this, removing the bloat.

I wonder if this would run on a Raspberry Pi3 with the GUI interface. Perhaps with two of them daisy chained. Not...?

Back