Microsoft breaks DHCP in latest Windows 10 Update

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Last edited:
It's only going to get worse. You'd think they could use some of that data mining revenue to hire some beta testers.

This is the year to get off Windows. They weren't kidding when they said 10 was the last Windows, from the looks of it they're already giving up.

Non-story. Neowin pooched it with the BBC story that was old, the cumulative patch yesterday was supposed to fix the issue. At the time the BBC article came out, either the patch wasn't available or they didn't know about it if it was out. That's what I am understanding. Most of the articles have been updated but the freaking out/damage already happened.

It's only going to get worse. You'd think they could use some of that data mining revenue to hire some beta testers.

This is the year to get off Windows. They weren't kidding when they said 10 was the last Windows, from the looks of it they're already giving up.
What do you mean hire beta testers? If you aren't an enterprise customer you ARE the beta tester who pays MS for the priviledge of using beta software regardless of what "branch" you are on. Fast = "Beta 1 just out of Alpha mode" or Slow = "Beta 2 - Final Beta testing mode before giving it to enterprise customers"

Reactions: DPI
like this
Never bothered my W10 machines, but like an idiot I didn't search for issues with the patch until after I'd installed it. Then another big one came through yesterday - I have 3 different W10 versions, evidently - and everything still works on the one that took yesterday's patch.

Reactions: Void
like this
Who needs the internet? Crap like this is why you should hold off on the "new" Microsoft's update model since they're complete crap quality.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Issue was fixed in a patch they released today.

Kinda hard to get "the patch for the patch" when the first patch breaks your connection to the internet.

Point is, something as basic as DHCP - which has been around practically since the advent of the internet - shouldn't be breaking in an operating system as supposedly "evolved" as Windows 10.

This stupidity would've never, ever, ever, EVER happened in the service pack / Windows 7 era where they actually bothered testing patches prior to release. Sure there have always been the occasional bad patches, but this is completely inexcusable.

And so much for both the "telemetry" and customer feedback systems that MS swore would help avoid situations like this. People scream into the feedback portal for months about specific bugs, only for those same bugs to roll out into the public channel anyway. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to get "the patch for the patch" when the first patch breaks your connection to the internet.

Point is, something as basic as DHCP - which has been around practically since the advent of the internet - shouldn't be breaking in an operating system as supposedly "evolved" as Windows 10.

This stupidity would've never, ever, ever, EVER happened in the service pack / Windows 7 era.

Totally BS. Windows 7 had plenty of patches that broke things. I specifically remember a reboot-loop of death following SP1. And a MS driver update that wiped out my NIC.

And it's easy to get the "patch for the patch", you just roll back and reinstall all the new updates.

They put out a patch, the patch broke something unexpected on a very small number of machines, and they fixed the problem in a timely fashion. I don't know exactly what else you expect from any OS developer.

I don't know exactly what else you expect from any OS developer.

Eh... To actually test patches before releasing to general availability? But you see when you fire the entire QA team and make customers the "beta testers", well you see what happens.

Eh... To actually test patches before releasing to general availability? But you see when you fire the entire QA team and make customers the "beta testers", well you see what happens.

Do you really think they didn't test the patch? After all, the original problem only occurred with a very small number of users, not every single person who applied the patch.

Can you name a single OS developer that hasn't had a faulty patch at some point?

Do you really think they didn't test the patch? After all, the original problem only occurred with a very small number of users, not every single person who applied the patch.

Can you name a single OS developer that hasn't had a faulty patch at some point?
We had a small handful of users (maybe 1%) that booted up on either Friday or Monday and had no IP. They rebooted, got IPs. Downloaded and installed Tuesday's update. Done.

Some people would have you believe this was a massive, world-breaking event. ~shrug~

Oh look, another DPI thread bashing on Microsoft with less than half-baked information. For context, from reddit
johnwinkmsft said:
We had an issue where some users were losing IP connectivity (getting APIPA addresses) and Friday's release was a mitigation step to help with that problem. Hope this explains it! :)
[The root cause was a] service crash that broke DHCP. The correct mitigation was/is a restart (not shutdown/reboot, but start - power - restart). Friday's update mitigated by triggering such a restart, but today's update has the actual fix. Makes sense? Thanks! :)

DPI - you can't get an address on linux if dhcpd crashes and doesn't auto-restart. Why do you spend so much time posting stuff like this on [H]? Hate Microsoft that much?

I had this affect one user at one of my customer's locations.
Figures it had to hit the lady in their accounting office that processes their payroll for several companies. :meh:

They had about 6 laptops that the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade failed on too. I had to do fresh Win-10 installs
on those and then they were ok for the most part.

Had one of their users go absolutely ballistic saying his laptop worked fine on Windows 7 and that I ruined
the laptop by installing Windows 10. He said it's my fault and I broke it. It's worthless now. Even though it works.

Yes, because all Windows 10 bugs are the IT guy's fault. :rolleyes:

Oh look, another DPI thread bashing on Microsoft with less than half-baked information. For context, from reddit

DPI - you can't get an address on linux if dhcpd crashes and doesn't auto-restart. Why do you spend so much time posting stuff like this on [H]? Hate Microsoft that much?

LOL! Don't take it took seriously. Like a lot of folks around here they seem to spend a lot more time criticizing Windows 10 than using it so I wouldn't really expect a good deal of useful information from those folks.

I had this affect one user at one of my customer's locations.
Figures it had to hit the lady in their accounting office that processes their payroll for several companies. :meh:

They had about 6 laptops that the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade failed on too. I had to do fresh Win-10 installs
on those and then they were ok for the most part.

Had one of their users go absolutely ballistic saying his laptop worked fine on Windows 7 and that I ruined
the laptop by installing Windows 10. He said it's my fault and I broke it. It's worthless now. Even though it works.

Yes, because all Windows 10 bugs are the IT guy's fault. :rolleyes:

I can assure you it wasn't your fault whatsoever! I'm having the same issues here, fixed up three Windows 10 based PC's today all exhibiting the same issues.

Back