Microsoft Blocks Windows Update from Being Used in Windows 7/8.1 on New CPUs

There's no MS "kool aid" use it or don't is a pretty good policy. Especially when you're paying for it.
What is the good policy? Forcing people to an OS that they don't want that has no practical benefits just drawbacks?

Don't like it? Don't use it
And how do you imagine that? The whole point being that you're being forced to use it.

No company with thousands of computers are going to download updates via Windows Updates. They'll be running the gamut of SCCM tools to properly manage their machines from patch updates, software pushes, inventory, etc.
On this topic: Is it confirmed that you can deploy Win7/8.1 patches to Kaby/Ryzen endpoints using SCCM or WSUS, and it's just the WU machinery doing the block?

On this topic: Is it confirmed that you can deploy Win7/8.1 patches to Kaby/Ryzen endpoints using SCCM or WSUS, and it's just the WU machinery doing the block?

I'm uncertain. None of our machines are running Kabylake or Ryzen right now. Not to mention, we've already migrated off Win 7 to Windows 10 on two of our networks. The others are still Win 7, but those machines are like 5-6 years out of date, if not further. I've still got Core 2 Duos.

I'd assume it's just Windows Update and not SCCM or WSUS, but I can't confirm.

What are you on about?

Windows 10, as an OS, is actively spying on you, as an OS this is unacceptable. Android, as an OS, is not spying on you, this is how an OS should run.

This is as simple as I can make it, if you feel I'm in some way making things up, there is the capacity for you to do some research yourself as opposed to simply generalising everything and getting all pissy because I highlighted that as an OS Android is not doing any spying. Hell, go check the AOSP code if you want.

If I were like you, I would just state that the NT kernel is not spying on you, therefore it's not W10 that spies on you, it's the apps.

easy peasy

If I were like you, I would just state that the NT kernel is not spying on you, therefore it's not W10 that spies on you, it's the apps.

easy peasy

Except the NT hybrid kernel comprising of the HAL, services, IO manager and environment subsystems make up Windows 10, and Windows 10 as an OS is spying.

The Linux derivative called Android, which includes the user interface, kernel libraries/Linux kernel and modules interfacing with the hardware does not perform any spying as a whole. It's a certain application installed on top of the OS that does all the spying and that application does not need to be installed in order to use the OS.

On it's own the NT kernel is largely incapable of doing anything at all.

Give it a rest, you're argument is entering the realms of lunacy now.

For me I've got a Surface Book, got a Windows Hello capable camera for my sig rig, play Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3, etc. And you can hate on all of that and that's fine but I'm using this stuff and it works for me and doesn't change the fact that going forward Windows 10 is the only Windows version guaranteed support for everything new on Windows PCs. On can not like that but that's just the reality now.

Heh, I knew that "windows hello" camera thing would come floating up from the bottom of the barrel. So once again you're grasping because you've got nothing. And that's not really hate, that's fact. Two firstyparty MS games that they artificially restricted to the windows store, and a buggy facial recognition marketing-feature that went nowhere because users and OEMs have ignored it. Congrats.

BTW, I wasn't aware that a Surface Book "has to use" Windows 10. When did that happen ? Or your "sig rig" for that matter. None of that hardware has to use Windows 10 - it would all work perfectly fine with WIndows 8.1, or 7 with a few manual driver installations - which disproves the claim "if you want to use all of the latest and greatest in PC tech, yeah, you're going to have to use Windows 10." Sorry, sparky!

Last edited:
Heh, I knew that "windows hello" camera thing would be coming up from the bottom of the barrel. So once again you're grasping at straws because you've got nothing. And that's not really hate, that's fact. Two firstyparty MS games that they artificially restricted to the windows store, and a buggy facial recognition marketing-feature that went nowhere because users and OEMs have ignored it. Congrats.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/more-windows-10-partners-are-adding-windows-hello-into-new-pcs

Talk about not having used something. Windows Hello works brilliantly on my Surface Book. I understand the desire for Windows 10 haters to bash everything in 10, but some things actually do work very well, like Hello.

BTW, I wasn't aware that a Surface Book "has to use" Windows 10. When did that happen ? Or your "sig rig" for that matter. None of that hardware has to use Windows 10 - it would all work perfectly fine with WIndows 8.1, or 7 with a few manual driver installations - which disproves the claim "if you want to use all of the latest and greatest in PC tech, yeah, you're going to have to use Windows 10." Sorry, sparky!

There's no point in putting Windows 7 on a 2 in 1 that one uses a lot with touch. 8.1 drivers for the Hello camera don't exist. As for my sig rig, I'm getting a Hello capable camera with it. And I have a lot Windows Store apps, many that require 10. And 4k screens work better in 10 than prior versions. I any case, there's no prior version of Windows that will make anything I have better from a hardware and software support stance and will make a number of things not work.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/more-windows-10-partners-are-adding-windows-hello-into-new-pcs

Talk about not having used something. Windows Hello works brilliantly on my Surface Book. I understand the desire for Windows 10 haters to bash everything in 10, but some things actually do work very well, like Hello.

There's no point in putting Windows 7 on a 2 in 1 that one uses a lot with touch. 8.1 drivers for the Hello camera don't exist. As for my sig rig, I'm getting a Hello capable camera with it. And I have a lot Windows Store apps, many that require 10. And 4k screens work better in 10 than prior versions. I any case, there's no prior version of Windows that will make anything I have better from a hardware and software support stance and will make a number of things not work.

Who the F uses store apps anyway?

While HiDPI support under Windows 10 is more flexable, I have to say that running a single 4k monitor I've essentially made use of no more than the DPI slider as I don't need to make use of any more than the DPI slider.

Sure, Windows 10 allows for more flexibility regarding HiDPI on a single 4k monitor, whether you need that flexibility however is another argument entirely. The only real move that's going to change 4k support is if developers begin making software applications that support it, everything else is simply a Band Aid on a sore knee approach.

Phew. This got windows update going again for me on a fresh Windows 8.1 / 7700K / 1080 Ti build. I had windows updates disabled from the get-go, and everything was working perfectly until I ran WSUS Offline to install security updates, and unfortunately it hasn't been patched yet to ignore the KB's infested with Microsoft's CPU lockout trojan.

This artificial CPU lockout bullshit actually prevented Microsoft's own Xbox One Wireless Adapter driver from installing. On, you know, "mainstream supported" Windows 8.1. After the bypass it installed fine.

Scumbags.

Sure, there are new APIs in Windows 10 to help with high DPI monitors in that regard: https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...ndows-10-creators-update/#IciI1fjtALxTp1qj.97

Which is mostly focused around mixed monitor DPI scaling, this is an area where Windows 10 has improved over Windows 7, but not one that's going to affect a great proportion of users. Developers need to get off their arses and start coding for HiDPI displays, that's going to be the greatest benefit to single monitor 4k users.

Which is mostly focused around mixed monitor DPI scaling, this is an area where Windows 10 has improved over Windows 7, but not one that's going to affect a great proportion of users. Developers need to get off their arses and start coding for HiDPI displays, that's going to be the greatest benefit to single monitor 4k users.

The issue is DPI awareness, be it mixed monitor DPIs, a 4k 15" laptop screen or 4k 32" screen, etc.

I rather enjoyed my HP TM2T with Win 7. What I miss from Win 7 was swiping forward or backwards in IE would well, go forward or backward. That seems to have gone away with Win 8 or higher.

I haven't noticed any difference between 4k on 8.1 vs 10. Went back to 8.1, cause not all my stuff works on 10.

I rather enjoyed my HP TM2T with Win 7. What I miss from Win 7 was swiping forward or backwards in IE would well, go forward or backward. That seems to have gone away with Win 8 or higher.

Windows 7 is usable with touch on a large enough screen but it's just not in the same league on tablets as 8 and 10. Yeah, not sure what happened with IE with the back and forth swiping. Both Chrome and Edge support it however.

I haven't noticed any difference between 4k on 8.1 vs 10. Went back to 8.1, cause not all my stuff works on 10.

It will depend on mainly on the legacy apps that you use. Even within Windows things like Device Manager, Services, etc. scale much better in 10 CU than prior versions. What exactly are you using that isn't 10 compatible?

Well it isn't just the Ryzen that's going to get whacked. I came into work this AM to look at one of the system's I'd re-imaged with Win7 Pro and started downloading updates to it as I left yesterday. I was greeted with Microsoft's gotcha.

winupdatewarning.jpg

This problem was finally fixed yesterday by Microsoft with the updates they released. The update that caused it was a bad update originally released in Mid-March (and included in all monthly security updates since) and misidentified the 6th Gen AMD CPU that was running on a DDR4 platform and blocked any further security updates. Hopefully no more flunkups from Microsoft.

I forgot about this. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Did MS state this limitation in the ToS with windows7? If no then class action is viable.

As I stated Microsoft compiles their binaries to the most processor agnostic flags otherwise it would not work on amd & intel. This is artificial limitation and is funny as to watch and even funnier hearing the defense of

It will depend on mainly on the legacy apps that you use. Even within Windows things like Device Manager, Services, etc. scale much better in 10 CU than prior versions. What exactly are you using that isn't 10 compatible?

Just random old games. Main one for me is RF Online. Pretty much didn't work when 10 came out. They eventually get it working, but sometimes it will stop working with the next update that comes out. I'd much rather not deal with it.

There was also zero reason for me to go to 10 anyways. No benefit.

Did MS state this limitation in the ToS with windows7? If no then class action is viable.
My guess is Windows 7 TOS has provisions to claim your first-born child. Regardless, that doesn't matter. TOS and EULAs are not legal documents. If the actions of a company run counter to consumer law somewhere, then they're liable and a case can be made against them.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Are new models of Intel Atom cpus blocked on win10 update? Where did they draw the line there?

Are new models of Intel Atom cpus blocked on win10 update? Where did they draw the line there?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...orted-together-with-the-windows-version-that-
  • Intel seventh (7th)-generation "Intel Core" processor or a later generation
  • AMD seventh (7th)-generation (“Bristol Ridge") processor or a later generation
  • Qualcomm “8996" processor or a later generation

Intel has a way to check which generation your processor is: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

Back