Microsoft Blocks Windows Update from Being Used in Windows 7/8.1 on New CPUs

There's an odd sort of logic there, as realistically speaking it's yourself raging at the opinion of others.

This makes no sense. You've been saying forever SLI is crap, like all of the other people "outraged" by this and none have current multiple GPU setups. I just plunked down $1398 USD, not including taxes and shipping, on a technology that people like you have been bitching about forever.

Fake rage 101.

>see thread post count

Only took 200 posts to call it a day + this one, awesome. Hopefully the next time this happens it'll be under 150... then 100... then, well, you can figure it out, right? ;)

Here's a better metric. Why the hell are people bitching over a technology they've long been trashing? I just plunked down $1400 on a tech that I know was going to be best supported under Windows 10, but people who don't even use the tech are bitching?

Here's a better metric. Why the hell are people bitching over a technology they've long been trashing? I just plunked down $1400 on a tech that I know was going to be best supported under Windows 10, but people who don't even use the tech are bitching?

I guess it would be in the hope that public outcry (and bitching) would convince Microsoft to change their policies. Most people bitching will have to rely on Windows for the foreseeable future and while they might not upgrade now, they will have to upgrade eventually, and if they dislike the way its heading, the only way to even hope MS will decide to fuck off is to bitch and moan and drag their feet.

I guess it would be in the hope that public outcry (and bitching) would convince Microsoft to change their policies. Most people bitching will have to rely on Windows for the foreseeable future and while they might not upgrade now, they will have to upgrade eventually, and if they dislike the way its heading, the only way to even hope MS will decide to fuck off is to bitch and moan and drag their feet.

I totally get this. But if you abandoned multiple GPUs long ago, how in the hell can you be outraged by new tech in Windows 10 to make that better? Because something that just came up last month isn't in an 8 year old OS?

I totally get this. But if you abandoned multiple GPUs long ago, how in the hell can you be outraged by new tech in Windows 10 to make that better? Because something that just came up last month isn't in an 8 year old OS?

Are you trying to imply that I'm outraged?

Maybe because 10 is widely considered to be inferior to an 8 year old OS?

Why are you so outraged about other people's opinions? Almost sounds like you work for Microsoft or something.

bwahaha...Sometimes even I get surprised by people.. Microsoft is treating its "customers" like $2 whores and pimping them out without even giving them the $2.

Instead of realizing that they are the abused party in this relationship they develop a Stockholm syndrome to MS and just fucking keep making excuses that I find disturbing.. "win 10 is awesome 'cause I can play all mah DX12 games!" all the while MS is ass-raping and won't stop until the tip, shaft and balls are in.

Haha I'm also baffled by how fucking good it feels to have jumped ship. Fuck you microsoft. Cunts.

bwahaha...Sometimes even I get surprised by people.. Microsoft is treating its "customers" like $2 whores and pimping them out without even giving them the $2.

Instead of realizing that they are the abused party in this relationship they develop a Stockholm syndrome to MS and just fucking keep making excuses that I find disturbing.. "win 10 is awesome 'cause I can play all mah DX12 games!" all the while MS is ass-raping and won't stop until the tip, shaft and balls are in.

Haha I'm also baffled by how fucking good it feels to have jumped ship. Fuck you microsoft. Cunts.

Lol! Golden! :D

I did not read the prior replies. Nah, i support your position, new tech is new tech, gotta deal with caveats like CPU support. (MS IS a bastard for it, when you sum up the actions they have taken to force adoption, it does not look good overall). But I was addressing things like the ads Microsoft put in, popups saying "Switch to Edge", removing various power user options, etc, plenty to legitimately be annoyed there.

Isn't that a blessing in disguise? Disabling WU has been the sensible thing to do for a while. I just hope this isn't some kind of NWO plan to move everyone on Android or similar spying platform. So what if "it's Linux". It's really not.

Move to proper Linux and say adios to MS. It's funny, though. Everyone loved to hate on Ballmer but he's been the nicest of them all.

Because the only method of feedback we have is bitching. If we just shut up and accept everything then sooner or later we catch ourselves eating any kind of shit.

Just because they're not raping my daughter doesn't mean I'm not going to raise my voice against it.

Isn't that a blessing in disguise? Disabling WU has been the sensible thing to do for a while. I just hope this isn't some kind of NWO plan to move everyone on Android or similar spying platform. So what if "it's Linux". It's really not.

Move to proper Linux and say adios to MS. It's funny, though. Everyone loved to hate on Ballmer but he's been the nicest of them all.

Of course Android is Linux! Just because is's not GNU/Linux doesn't in any way imply that it doesn't run the Linux kernel. It has slight changes to the library system and doesn't use X Server, but it's every bit Linux as evidenced by the need for AOSP releases.

Of course Android is Linux! Just because is's not GNU/Linux doesn't in any way imply that it doesn't run the Linux kernel. It has slight changes to the library system and doesn't use X Server, but it's every bit Linux as evidenced by the need for AOSP releases.

Just like a cake with excrement frosting is still a cake. So what if google's spying OS runs on top of Linux? That's my point of view.

Just like a cake with excrement frosting is still a cake. So what if google's spying OS runs on top of Linux? That's my point of view.

The OS doesn't spy, the applications do. Gapps stands for 'Google Applications', you can choose not to install applications, you cannot choose not to install an OS. Furthermore, there's no targeted advertising under Android itself, apps can sent notifications, but they can be easily blocked.

There is no excuse for Forced targeted advertising under the OS itself, none.

Android is based on the Linux kernel.

The OS doesn't spy, the applications do. Gapps stands for 'Google Applications', you can choose not to install applications, you cannot choose not to install an OS. Furthermore, there's no targeted advertising under Android itself, apps can sent notifications, but they can be easily blocked.

There is no excuse for Forced targeted advertising under the OS itself, none.

Android is based on the Linux kernel.

I am not excusing anything. What gave you that idea? You, however, are acting somewhat defensive toward Android. No need to argue it's based on Linux.

Not exactly. All I've said is that if one wants to use all of the latest and greatest in PC tech, yeah, you're going to have to use Windows 10.

From certain technical standpoints, yes. Makes sense. Others, zero sense. Why block all updates, if all updates aren't CPU related? Especially when it comes to something like Skylake getting support, but Kabylake not getting support. The things are pretty much the same, aside from what? USB 3.1 support?

Personally, I would have just let them keep updating, but provide a disclaimer that the patches are untested on newer processors and that they aren't reliable for it breaking. Just put a bunch of red exclamation marks or something on the Windows Update application.

Well if they start blocking updates, just means us with older OS's will just have to start manually patching. That or things like Offline Wsus become more popular.

I am not excusing anything. What gave you that idea? You, however, are acting somewhat defensive toward Android. No need to argue it's based on Linux.

How is pointing out that Android is based on Linux and as an OS does not spy on it's users or force advertising being defensive towards Android? I think you're reading into this a little too much.

From certain technical standpoints, yes. Makes sense. Others, zero sense. Why block all updates, if all updates aren't CPU related? Especially when it comes to something like Skylake getting support, but Kabylake not getting support. The things are pretty much the same, aside from what? USB 3.1 support?

Even older Linux kernels are having problems with Ryzen. The bottom line is that older versions aren't supported by either AMD or Intel for these new processors and Microsoft isn't updating 7 or 8.1 specifically for these new CPUs. So again, Microsoft blocking the updates was a stupid PR move on tech that isn't supported anyway that would effect few people.

Personally, I would have just let them keep updating, but provide a disclaimer that the patches are untested on newer processors and that they aren't reliable for it breaking. Just put a bunch of red exclamation marks or something on the Windows Update application.

I agree with this approach. But that still would fix all of the problem here because there are people that won't accept that these new CPUs aren't being supported in older versions, that's really the problem for some.

How is pointing out that Android is based on Linux and as an OS does not spy on it's users or force advertising being defensive towards Android? I think you're reading into this a little too much.

Yeah buddy, I am reading too much into google's business model. You're right, I am stupid.

Android is nothing like the Linux I like and use every day.

Yeah buddy, I am reading too much into google's business model. You're right, I am stupid.

Android is nothing like the Linux I like and use every day.

Linux is a kernel, your fridge can run on it. Just because the interface looks and behaves different by no means indicates that Android is not a Linux derivative.

Just look at the context of your quote, there's someone getting all pissy and defensive here and it certainly isn't me.

So stand up and fight, stop bending over to the CIA's questionable behaviour thinly veiled as 'protection of it's citizens' and claiming that systems, such as the spyware under Windows 10, is fine 'as I have nothing to hide!' It's a situation that's only going to get worse and we all have a right to privacy.

Last edited:
Even older Linux kernels are having problems with Ryzen. The bottom line is that older versions aren't supported by either AMD or Intel for these new processors and Microsoft isn't updating 7 or 8.1 specifically for these new CPUs. So again, Microsoft blocking the updates was a stupid PR move on tech that isn't supported anyway that would effect few people.

I agree with this approach. But that still would fix all of the problem here because there are people that won't accept that these new CPUs aren't being supported in older versions, that's really the problem for some.

I don't think some of us have a problem with them not supporting it anymore, obviously not all of us. Either way, we're willing to put up with the possibility of an update crippling our system due to our newer processors. Hell, we already had to deal with MS putting out an update that would cripple our system and everything is supported.

Well it isn't just the Ryzen that's going to get whacked. I came into work this AM to look at one of the system's I'd re-imaged with Win7 Pro and started downloading updates to it as I left yesterday. I was greeted with Microsoft's gotcha.

winupdatewarning.jpg

They are broken out.

Not on the web page I see.

I see:
Windows 10
Windows 8.1
Windows 7
Windows Vista

and also:
Android
Debian Linux
Ubuntu Linux

Where are the release versions of those?
Android Nougot
Android Marshmallow
Android Loillipop
Debian 8
Debian 7
Ubuntu 16.04
Ubuntu 14.04
etc

If they're grouping those by "product", then "Windows" should be one entry for all versions (10, 8.1, 7, etc all combined).

Not on the web page I see.

If they're grouping those by "product", then "Windows" should be one entry for all versions (10, 8.1, 7, etc all combined).

If the breakout doesn't suit you, ask them to change it. Complaining to me won't help.

Well it isn't just the Ryzen that's going to get whacked. I came into work this AM to look at one of the system's I'd re-imaged with Win7 Pro and started downloading updates to it as I left yesterday. I was greeted with Microsoft's gotcha.
And so it starts.
Looks like I'm going back to Security-Only patching going forward with Win7...no more Rollups of any kind.

KB4012218: Enabled detection of processor generation and hardware support when PC tries to scan or download updates through Windows Update

Just uninstall update KB4012218. Or, better, download only security updates from http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Or, if you have safe browsing practices, don't accept updates from Microsoft, at all. With modern Microsoft QA and shady practices, a person is far more likely to run into problems on their PC by accepting Windows updates than they are by not having Windows updates.

None of that solves the need in an Enterprise environment with hundreds or thousands of computers to keep up to date and are subject to outside customer audits. It simply means a company is going to have to adopt a Win10 image to run on the newer hardware aquired.

None of that solves the need in an Enterprise environment with hundreds or thousands of computers to keep up to date and are subject to outside customer audits. It simply means a company is going to have to adopt a Win10 image to run on the newer hardware aquired.

There are still plenty of enterprise units shipping with Windows 7 Pro etc and last time I looked we weren't installing top end cutting edge hardware on a mortgage officers desk in some dusty bank. I ordered two Windows 7 Pro HP laptops and I just don't care that they don't feature the absolutely most cutting edge CPU's. It makes literally no difference at all.

"My job is doing the cash transfers for the mutual funds so I need a Ryzen 1700x" ... yeah , no you don't.

Corporate environments probably aren't updating their systems through Windows Updates, anyways, and are already using WSUS.

Yep. The last thing companies are paying for is the overhead required to allow MS to randomly screw up the user or server environment at their leisure.

There are still plenty of enterprise units shipping with Windows 7 Pro etc and last time I looked we weren't installing top end cutting edge hardware on a mortgage officers desk in some dusty bank. I ordered two Windows 7 Pro HP laptops and I just don't care that they don't feature the absolutely most cutting edge CPU's. It makes literally no difference at all.

"My job is doing the cash transfers for the mutual funds so I need a Ryzen 1700x" ... yeah , no you don't.

If you look at the screenshot you'll see this thing is by no means top end cutting edge HW. It's PoS slow ass dual core AMD CPU. :censored: I'm willing to bet one of the cheapest units sold by HP. We also can order some HP with Win7 Pro, the previous generations, but these 705 G3s are only shipping with Win10.

Linux is a kernel, your fridge can run on it. Just because the interface looks and behaves different by no means indicates that Android is not a Linux derivative.

Just look at the context of your quote, there's someone getting all pissy and defensive here and it certainly isn't me.

I am not sure I understand. So, the kernel isn't spying you, it's the apps. Google's apps. Yeah, since when is Android just the Linux kernel? Defending youre favourite spy OS you are.

I am not sure I understand. So, the kernel isn't spying you, it's the apps. Google's apps. Yeah, since when is Android just the Linux kernel? Defending youre favourite spy OS you are.

What are you on about?

Windows 10, as an OS, is actively spying on you, as an OS this is unacceptable. Android, as an OS, is not spying on you, this is how an OS should run.

This is as simple as I can make it, if you feel I'm in some way making things up, there is the capacity for you to do some research yourself as opposed to simply generalising everything and getting all pissy because I highlighted that as an OS Android is not doing any spying. Hell, go check the AOSP code if you want.

So they have a version Windows that won't update (or the event that you can update, it can take ages for 3MB) and another version that updates & reboots regardless of what you were doing whether you wanted to or not. They really know what's best for us. o_O

Not exactly. All I've said is that if one wants to use all of the latest and greatest in PC tech, yeah, you're going to have to use Windows 10.

What "latest and greatest PC tech" specifically requires Windows 10?

Nothing. Kaby and Ryzen work just fine on 8.1 and 7, the latest video cards work just fine on 7 and 8.1, the latest NVMe drives work just fine on 8.1, and 7 with a patch. Hell, Ryzen actually performs better on 7 than 10 right now - that's pathetic.

Maybe it's time to lay off the MS kool aid.

Last edited:

Nothing. Kaby and Ryzen work just fine on 8.1 and 7, the latest video cards work just fine on 7 and 8.1, the latest NVMe drives work just fine on 8.1, and 7 with a patch. Hell, Ryzen actually performs better on 7 than 10 right now - check the benchmarks.

For me I've got a Surface Book, got a Windows Hello capable camera for my sig rig, play Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3, etc. And you can hate on all of that and that's fine but I'm using this stuff and it works for me and doesn't change the fact that going forward Windows 10 is the only Windows version guaranteed support for everything new on Windows PCs. On can not like that but that's just the reality now.

I remember those June patches. We started implementing them in July and killed a couple servers. Luckily we have a production network enclave that gets minimal use and caught it there, before touching our high usage enclaves. Sometimes, I have no idea how these patches make it through Q&A. There was some other patch that broke during then and some of bug we found. We had our Microsoft Rep here during the time to report it up. We have a couple MS reps out here every few months and we actually made a full time position for a diff MS rep for our Sharepoint development team.

Actually, the WSUS link does solve the needs of corporate environments. WSUS offers the same updates, without needing to use Windows Update. Corporate environments probably aren't updating their systems through Windows Update, anyways, and are already using WSUS.

No company with thousands of computers are going to download updates via Windows Updates. They'll be running the gamut of SCCM tools to properly manage their machines from patch updates, software pushes, inventory, etc.

Nothing. Kaby and Ryzen work just fine on 8.1 and 7, the latest video cards work just fine on 7 and 8.1, the latest NVMe drives work just fine on 8.1, and 7 with a patch. Hell, Ryzen actually performs better on 7 than 10 right now - that's pathetic.

You're ruining the forced narrative, sir.

Back