Microsoft Blocks Windows Update from Being Used in Windows 7/8.1 on New CPUs

The person/people this really screws is the business IT department who wanted to let the dust settle on Windows 10 before migrating in 2018/2019. Now they're much in the same place that Apple shops land whenever they drop new hardware that refuses to run on older versions of macOS that the rest of their fleet may be running.

I'm sure there are a few groups who just pulled the trigger on 100+ workstation refreshes that are now frantically re-evaluating their Win10 deployment path.

I will say this about Windows. It "looks" the best. I don't know what it is, but Windows always has a crisp look to it. OS X and Linux have blurry or over saturated look. Even on the same hardware and same monitor....Linux and OS X look different for some reason.

so what if the FBI is watching me? Not doing anything wrong except watching Meatballs.

Can I have your email password and can you forward me every text message you've ever received. I'd like to read them over and post the contents online and maybe share some stuff with your boss.

I mean, after all you have nothing to hide right?

Modern Linux distros are just as good as Windows (the desktop managers stole most of the features of Windows) but the problem is software. Not much available on Linux because of the "everything must be free and open source" stance that a majority of Linux users stand by. I remember 10-15 years ago when NVIDIA started releasing drivers and they were closed source. How dare they!!!! Lots of bitching and shit fits all the neckbeards were having.

It's not just that. It's long term viability. It's the same mindset that means that someone will make a cool utility and then after a year or 3 they move on to something else and now you have this cool program that does exactly what you need, but it doesn't work anymore or can't be downloaded anymore. Of course they say "Oh, you can just compile it yourself on your own computer".......right.........I'l do that after I change the timing belt on my car.

Blocking windows 8.1 NO!!!!!!!!!!! Eveybody liked him. Windows 7 there is an argument. People are creepy. Seriously. Me included. "You Have No Idea" I love and recommend Windows 10 and have it on all my 5 computers with no problems whatsoever. So what if the FBI is watching me? Not doing anything wrong except watching Meatballs.

utah-data-center-entrance.jpg

yep...

what's legal today can easily be illegal tomorrow.

just so you know.

What they should do is focus on what they know best- a desktop OS. If they want to try to shoehorn some tablet specific OS into mobile devices then they could have tried harder with RT.

This is extremely short sighted thinking. Keyboard and mouse only interactions are not the only way forward even for the desktop. VR for example, a way to interact with computer that's independent of a mouse and keyboard and that's probably going to a significant part of the PCs future because it has the power to do these kinds of tasks better than pure mobile devices, at least for a good while.

What the actual fuck, how is this even legal? I can understand not adding new features to an old OS but this is arbitrarily blocking an old feature for no apparent reason other than to force people to an OS they obviously don't want.

I guess this is what happens when you put the person in charge of xbox in charge of windows. Vulkan really needs to take off because I'd love to be able to jump ship but I'm over dealing with dual boots or emulation.

It ISNT on WIN 8.1 as support for it only ends in 2018.

Win 7... 2015 so you are outta luck.

WIN 8.1 Class action lawsuit anyone? $$$ making opportunity imho.

You guys give in too damn easy.

First of all, you can change your windows hardware id at a whim. You can also change what CPU windows thinks you have. From CPU to video card to anything. This could be a possible work around.

Also, their is an OS community out there that provides Windows ISO's for AIO's ... lite versions, etc. I used a Windows 7 lite version for years. There is even a Windows 7 Super Lite version out there. New versions of Windows 7 that are updated come out all the time. I just recently saw a Windows 7 that was updated thru Jan or Feb 2017. No doubt someone has already released the March 2017 version of Windows 7.

If you own a Windows 7 license then you're good. I would never suggest you pirate a copy of Windows 7 but if you do this, make sure you have a valid license. They are very easy to obtain and cheap.

There is even a Windows 8 embedded some guys run as well as a community Windows 8 project that's based off, you guessed it, Windows 8 that's supposed to be pretty good.

As some have suggested, linux mint cinnamon is also a great OS which has a tiny footprint, loads in a few seconds and does anything Windows does other than out of the box support for modern games. Yes, Linux can run games but nothing like what Windows supports. To me that's the only trade-off.

Also, while updates are great, you guys can also automatically image your OS on a daily basis. There are several ways in which you guys can effectively guard yourself against BS coming into your box.

Also, I think being a part of the HardOCP community almost demands you never cave in, conform, give in or follow rules when this type of shit is involved. To me, HardOCP has always been about adapting, work a rounds and ultimately getting the last laugh.

Don't be a PC Bitch or a Computer Pu55y.

On my personal rig, yes.

Try that on multiple family computers.

That is alot of time im not getting my life back . B!tch .

I thought they were all about promoting security, that's why they stopped checking licenses during windows updates so that even illegal copies could still be secure. Now they're going to prevent even licensed users from getting updates and staying secure? Heh...

This is extremely short sighted thinking. Keyboard and mouse only interactions are not the only way forward even for the desktop. VR for example, a way to interact with computer that's independent of a mouse and keyboard and that's probably going to a significant part of the PCs future because it has the power to do these kinds of tasks better than pure mobile devices, at least for a good while.

Not shortsighted, focused. They can still include VR and all the other goodie PC interfaces. They're doing it very, very wrong though. And, they're still going to loose the young up and comers. Now, they're even damaging the desktop mind-share. Way to go!

As somebody who runs a few hundred Windows 10 installs we are yet to see any indication that the OS is spying on us, we have however discovered that our iPads, Samsung Galaxy's, and Chromebooks are all sending back data to Apple and Google as well as a number of advertising companies at a remarkable rate. Blocking those advertising companies just FYI ends up with the vast majority of the apps used on those devices giving errors about an internet connection being required for the program to function correctly. Sadly for us as those apps are apparently of great importance I am currently spending my time trying to fake their response to trick the programs into thinking they are connecting back.

Meanwhile the worst offence any of our Windows 10 machines have committed is when it does a windows update it occasionally transmits (seems random) its hardware details and current OS version number.

That being said do I think this was a shitty decision by MS to block all updates? yes. Should they have limited it to only the Power savings states? yes. Do I care not really as it will never be an issue I have to encounter? No.

Until linux becomes a serious gaming platform, I cannot leave Windows even if I wanted to. I play games on the weekends after a hard week of work, I don't want to be screwing around with compatibility issues when I just want to game.

Bottom line

Microsoft Problem: Ryzen is faster on Windows 7 than amazing new Windows 10
Microsoft Solution: Block windows updates If Ryzen detected on Windows 7

I love you, Microsoft. Don't ever change!

Last edited:
I will say this about Windows. It "looks" the best. I don't know what it is, but Windows always has a crisp look to it. OS X and Linux have blurry or over saturated look. Even on the same hardware and same monitor....Linux and OS X look different for some reason.
Lack of Blue. Microsoft images and colors are like rgB everyone else is rgb and looks washed out.

Until linux becomes a serious gaming platform, I cannot leave Windows even if I wanted to. I play games on the weekends after a hard week of work, I don't want to be screwing around with compatibility issues when I just want to game.

Well more and more games are being ported to Linux so things are getting better on that regard but that does not help me either. I am a fanatic movie and TV serie watcher and unless Linux gets an MadVR equivalent with as good and customizable scaling options then Linux is a no go. Seriously, NGU image doubling + Thin Edges is god send for improving DVD's and old TV series and make them watchable on my 4K TV. :(

Modern Linux distros are just as good as Windows (the desktop managers stole most of the features of Windows) but the problem is software. Not much available on Linux because of the "everything must be free and open source" stance that a majority of Linux users stand by. I remember 10-15 years ago when NVIDIA started releasing drivers and they were closed source. How dare they!!!! Lots of bitching and shit fits all the neckbeards were having.

These days the neckbeards are few and far between, very few users believe in the purely FOSS mantra anymore and I think you'd be surprised at the amount of software that is available cross platform, alternate software under Linux is also improving all a steady rate.

For example, I swear by the binary Nvidia drivers as they're quite simply awesome, I couldn't care less if they aren't FOSS.

No , I'm not hanging on. I've deployed a lot of Linux. I know what I'm seeing.

What I'm seeing is the fact that in the end all the code contributed is literally contributed without warranty or really any consequence whatsoever. I'm seeing the fact that Linux has moved away from or been less effective at hardening efforts at source creation and left that to the more paranoid. I'm seeing a lot of those flaws carrying over in Android, arguably soon to be the most deployed OS on the planet and it's deployed in a such a state where it's rarely , if ever, actually updated for the end users. So the most highly used OS will also be the one with the shoddiest security patching, but have the highest reported (and well documented) number of flaws which will in MOST cases never be patched after deployment.

I agree, they are generally quick to patch flaws when reported. Unfortunately a lot of people busy finding flaws aren't reporting them in the classic sense. You can buy zero day flaws researched especially for you by firing up your Tor browser and forking over some Bitcoin. Any decent coder can turn those into exploits and we know it does happen.

I'm not spinning anything, I gain nothing from doing so.

You are taking data on a webpage and interpreting it in a way it was not intended to be interpreted, this has nothing to do with your experience deploying Linux. The thread you linked shows security vulnerabilities discovered and patched, the fact that they are being discovered and patched under Debian, for example, at a higher rate than Windows 10, for example, is a good thing.

Argue all you like, the data you linked is not showing vulnerabilities discovered and not patched, nor is it showing security exploits used under any of the operating systems listed.

You are taking data on a webpage and interpreting it in a way it was not intended to be interpreted, this has nothing to do with your experience deploying Linux. The thread you linked shows security vulnerabilities discovered and patched, the fact that they are being discovered and patched under Debian, for example, at a higher rate than Windows 10, for example, is a good thing.

Argue all you like, the data you linked is not showing vulnerabilities discovered and not patched, nor is it showing security exploits used under any of the operating systems listed.

The only thing that could make you happy is a list of undiscovered vulnerabilities I suppose.

This is what we have to work with, we don't have to agree on interpretation. You can be as wrong as you like, I don't pay your bills.

The only thing that could make you happy is a list of undiscovered vulnerabilities I suppose.

This is what we have to work with, we don't have to agree on interpretation. You can be as wrong as you like, I don't pay your bills.

Great, I'm not wrong though, you're simply misinterpreting data. :rolleyes:

Also regarding Linux, I have only limited experience with it but my time experimenting with Linux Mint was not particularly positive the moment I had to venture for getting software beyond what the software manager offers. If you download programs or games from the internet for example. With Windows you downloaded, double clicked the installer (or unzipped the file) and launched the executable. With Linux Mint you have to go to Terminal and do some command line wizardry. Really? In 2017 we still have to resort to glorified DOS commands to install programs?

Maybe this was just me and I was getting something terribly wrong (if so please educate me) but if Linux wants to succeed (and I want it to, its obvious Windows has to die) it needs to get rid of that shit for something as simple as installing programs or drivers without resorting to what Software Manager has available. Windows still has DOS cmd and Powershell for indepth stuff but they have no bearing for your everyday usage and program managing. However with Linux learning to use Terminal seems to be quite bloody essential.

Also regarding Linux, I have only limited experience with it but my time experimenting with Linux Mint was not particularly positive the moment I had to venture for getting software beyond what the software manager offers. If you download programs or games from the internet for example. With Windows you downloaded, double clicked the installer (or unzipped the file) and launched the executable. With Linux Mint you have to go to Terminal and do some command line wizardry. Really? In 2017 we still have to resort to glorified DOS commands to install programs?

Maybe this was just me and I was getting something terribly wrong (if so please educate me) but if Linux wants to succeed (and I want it to, its obvious Windows has to die) it needs to get rid of that shit for something as simple as installing programs or drivers without resorting to what Software Manager has available. Windows still has DOS cmd and Powershell for indepth stuff but they have no bearing for your everyday usage and program managing. However with Linux learning to use Terminal seems to be quite bloody essential.

i mean having to navigate to a webpage to find a program is so much easier then typing apt-get install...

and with linux all of the dependencies are downloaded and installed too.

there is no having to go back because you forgot a file or something.

apt-get install steam that's how you install steam on linux.

i mean having to navigate to a webpage to find a program is so much easier then typing apt-get install...

and with linux all of the dependencies are downloaded and installed too.

there is no having to go back because you forgot a file or something.

Correct me if I am wrong but does apt-get do exactly what the Software Manager does, install the program from the library that is available there? I am talking about programs outside of what is there.

Correct me if I am wrong but does apt-get do exactly what the Software Manager does, install the program from the library that is available there? I am talking about programs outside of what is there.

Linux isn't friendly enough for your Mom but should be manageable for the people that come to places like [H]. My biggest whine from a personal use standpoint is all the desktops suck. I'd seriously consider OS X before Linux. I mean that's how deep I'd dig. Of course it would be a Hackinstosh, but still....

with a gui yeah.

but apt-get works with programs that aren't in the package library.

Linux isn't friendly enough for your Mom but should be manageable for the people that come to places like [H]. My biggest whine from a personal use standpoint is all the desktops suck. I'd seriously consider OS X before Linux. I mean that's how deep I'd dig. Of course it would be a Hackinstosh, but still....

Possibly. There is also my mindset how I view the OS. I was raised in DOS and to this day I see the Windows kinda like graphical frontend for the files and folders, a fancy Dosshell if you will. :) Having to go back and start writing commands seem such a step backwards.

with a gui yeah.

but apt-get works with programs that aren't in the package library.

So I have more to learn. I no longer have Mint installed but we'll see how crappy Microsoft gets with Windows 10 and if I start experimenting with Linux again.

Interesting comment. I own both macOS and Linux machines and I'm the opposite, I by far prefer Linux over macOS. Having said that I also find both operating systems to be remarkably similar, even most of the Linux terminal commands work under macOS. I find it very frustrating how software packages that are free under the Windows and Linux platforms tend to be paid products under macOS (XPS Office for example), I also find the inability of macOS to handle a variety of file formats to be a major downfall of the OS and I simply cannot stand Finder, its got to be one of the worst file managers ever created.

The other issue with macOS is the way all of your software packages have to be repurchaced upon a major OS upgrade, it gets very expensive after a while (Parallels anyone?).

In terms of installing software under Linux, apt isn't difficult to use, just copy/paste into the terminal and you're done. From that point on your installed software will update along with system updates if you choose to allow the OS to do it. Many packages also utilise .deb installers that are installed via the GUI no differently to Windows.

So I have more to learn. I no longer have Mint installed but we'll see how crappy Microsoft gets with Windows 10 and if I start experimenting with Linux again.

You're doing fine, good job at at least attempting to switch! You just have to remember that Linux is Linux, there's no prerequisite that states that it has to run identically to Windows.

You're doing fine, good job at at least attempting to switch! You just have to remember that Linux is Linux, there's no prerequisite that states that it has to run identically to Windows.

Well, we are creatures of habit and Windows quirks right from Windows 3.1 and 95 to Windows 7 (8 and 10 were a shock and required Classic Shell to be usable) are integrated very deeply into my backbone. Getting rid of old habits is haaard... :D

Well, we are creatures of habit and Windows quirks right from Windows 3.1 and 95 to Windows 7 (8 and 10 were a shock and required Classic Shell to be usable) are integrated very deeply into my backbone. Getting rid of old habits is haaard... :D

I know, and that's perfectly normal. As long as you understand that you'll be fine. Users in the linux forums are always willing to help.

Good job.

Just the window snapping for multi screen setups alone makes Windows 10 worth it imo.
WTF? Do you mean WinKey + L/R?
I've been using that in Win7 since forever.

Throw in UltraMon (which I've been using since XP), and I've got all the multi-monitor functionality I need.

I'm currently running Ubuntu Mate.

I love Ubuntu MATE... its a good throw back to the days before Ubuntu went to Gnome 3 and Unity (bleh!).

I'd use it on my main rig if it wasn't for a few games I play very regularly that haven't (won't) be ported. Windows 7 will stay around a long time for me.

Microsoft knows this as well, so many complaints when windows 8 came out, claiming a whole bunch of stuff was taken out of the OS when all they did was change the location of it in the settings and or change the shortcuts etc.

These days the neckbeards are few and far between, very few users believe in the purely FOSS mantra anymore and I think you'd be surprised at the amount of software that is available cross platform, alternate software under Linux is also improving all a steady rate.

For example, I swear by the binary Nvidia drivers as they're quite simply awesome, I couldn't care less if they aren't FOSS.
That is good to hear. I have a NUC and no hard drive for it so I ran Mint off a USB stick for a few months. The interface on Mate is pretty good but I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking for Linux software with names I did not recognize.

My biggest surprise was that a large portion of my Steam library was available on Linux (although I only played a game or two being a NUC and all).

It's not just that. It's long term viability. It's the same mindset that means that someone will make a cool utility and then after a year or 3 they move on to something else and now you have this cool program that does exactly what you need, but it doesn't work anymore or can't be downloaded anymore. Of course they say "Oh, you can just compile it yourself on your own computer".......right.........I'l do that after I change the timing belt on my car.

You know, it's not really that hard to compile most applications (only been on Linux for a year now). From my experience, it usually boils down to 3 lines typed into a terminal prompt, 'configure', 'make' and 'make install'. Now I haven't really had to compile many applications because the Linux Mint repository pretty much has almost everything I need/want.

You know, it's not really that hard to compile most applications (only been on Linux for a year now). From my experience, it usually boils down to 3 lines typed into a terminal prompt, 'configure', 'make' and 'make install'. Now I haven't really had to compile many applications because the Linux Mint repository pretty much has almost everything I need/want.

I'm finding the same thing, it's extremely rare to compile software from source anymore, everything's conveniently packaged as apt or deb installers.

Microsoft knows this as well, so many complaints when windows 8 came out, claiming a whole bunch of stuff was taken out of the OS when all they did was change the location of it in the settings and or change the shortcuts etc.

Yeah, but why did they have to change where things are in the first place. Sometimes change is good but only when something is wrong and needs fixing or can be improved. The changes they made here caused nothing but mass confusion and epic shitstorm. People had built over a decade worth of familiarity with certain system and then they thought it was a good idea to smash it all into pieces. Too many changes at once.

Back