Microsoft Blocks Windows Update from Being Used in Windows 7/8.1 on New CPUs

Vista has less security problems then 7, 8, and 10. Guess that is why MS is stopping support. lol

Such reports don't mean a lot. Number of vulnerabilities isn't terribly important, what's important is how fast they're patched. With the exception of a couple of very rare examples the open source community as well as the number of very large corperations that support Linux are generally very efficient at patching Linux security vulnerabilities.

Which makes sense as Linux virtually runs the internet.

Such reports don't mean a lot. Number of vulnerabilities isn't terribly important, what's important is how fast they're patched. With the exception of a couple of very rare examples the open source community as well as the number of very large corperations that support Linux are generally very efficient at patching Linux security vulnerabilities.

Way to blow it off as inconsequential. It's not.

Way to blow it off as inconsequential. It's not.

Hang on.

What you are seeing is vulnerabilities found, now there could be more vulnerabilities under Windows 10 that simply haven't been discovered yet due to it's low adoption rate, laziness on behalf of MS, etc.

Basically, seeing that vulnerabilities are being discovered and patched is a very good thing, contrary to the way you're trying to spin things it actually looks good when vulnerabilities are discovered. The fact that more vulnerabilities are being discovered under Linux makes perfect sense as Linux basically runs the internet.

You're viewing the data with the wrong perspective.

Last edited:
For me, I'll be on 7 for a while. Years ago, I purchased another identical motherboard as a backup. If my motherboard goes south, I can pull out my backup for use on 7. I refuse to go to 10 for several reasons. I also have Linux Mint that I have on a VM that I can play with to get more familiar with the OS. I even have Wine installed with Office 2003. Once i'm done with games, I'll be on Linux mint for all things except games.

MS has gone downhill ever since Bill left the company to a bunch of idiots.

Let me preface by saying, this is a pretty shitty decision and certainly bad PR, even if you try to justify it by forcing users to upgrade for the forced updates, security solidarity on the internet, blah blah.

However...I don't give a shit about this, and I guarantee that virtually no one outside of enthusiasts like the good folks on [H] do, either. I'm not going to buy 2017 hardware and install an OS from 2009. You can argue for Windows 8, but I have never met a single person who preferred 8 over 10 (having said that, I'm sure that one guy will come out of the woodwork here... :p)

When a general end user/business buys a new machine with Kaby Lake/Ryzen, they are going to get Windows 10 because no OEMs sell machines with anything lower anymore. I am guessing by the time that large businesses upgrade to Kaby Lake/Ryzen, even assuming they don't buy OEM machines, they are going to be on Windows 10 as well.

Ultimately, I see this as a problem for a very small subset of users. An understandably shitty problem, but as SixFootDuo pointed out, the folks who care about this are generally resourceful enough to work around it.

Everyone cried how Steve Ballmer was a shitty CEO. Now you got this Nadella guy really fucking shit up since he took over. Bill Gates needs to leave them African kids alone and come back to put the ship back on course =(.

Their OS their choice. You have a choice of not using it, using Linux or make your own. :)

Blocking windows 8.1 NO!!!!!!!!!!! Eveybody liked him. Windows 7 there is an argument. People are creepy. Seriously. Me included. "You Have No Idea" I love and recommend Windows 10 and have it on all my 5 computers with no problems whatsoever. So what if the FBI is watching me? Not doing anything wrong except watching Meatballs.

That's the entirely wrong attitude, seriously, and it's not whether or not you're doing something wrong.

If the FBI is watching you, I'm guessing they were probably in a long line. Not the right attitude, but if it's at that point, Windows 10 had nothing to do with it. One should probably stop using a smartphone and the internet first before worrying about Windows 10.

And that's a serious point. If you think that a desktop OS that's losing tons of share in the mobile age is how the FBI tracked you done. Nope. People that are proclaiming the evils of Windows 10 need to preach to their iOS and Android buddies a hell of lot more than Windows users. And they're going to laugh in your face.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, they totally failed in mobile and some took that to mean, Windows 7 forever. Except maybe younger people that wondered why the hell there was no way to give voice commands to their PC like their phone?

Microsoft's failure in smartphone created a generational problem for them. Long time Windows users are all about PCs from the 80's. Smartphone users aren't.

Last edited:
It's the attitude that if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about that's wrong, my comment has nothing to do with Microsoft or the FBI so I suppose I went off-topic (and I admit it since it's right there).

Who knows, at some point in the future there might be a law put into place that Meatballs becomes banned and a Federal offense to view or own or something, who knows. :D

None of this matters to most windows users.
On the consumer end, most people never upgrade their OS (unless they accidently upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period).
They will run whatever version came on their laptop/desktop, and when they buy a new system, they end up with whatever version came with the new computer.
Any Windows system from any legitimate OEM that has one of the new chips in it will ship with Windows 10.

As for Business, it's pretty much the same.
If it's a small company, it's likely they will stick with the current OS until they replace the computer.
If it's a larger company, with a site license, they can upgrade their system to the current OS. If they downgrade new systems to an older OS, then it's their problem.

Most businesses have too much invested in Windows to switch to another OS. Unlikely to happen for a very long time.
Most users can probably get by with android/linux as far as daily computing for all of the above situations. And most business that i have seen lately have been moving to cloud based computing meaning as long as it has a working web browser it will work...

On Win 8.1 and Kabylake 7700k. Guess I'll just disable Windows Update. Grab my updates the manual way.

For the record, as an OS Android does not spy on users, due to the fact that the AOSP is available I would imagine one would be able to check the source code to validate this.

You need to install Gapps in order for Android to spy on it's users, and Android will actually run just fine without Gapps provided you want to use a third party repository and not the Google Play Store and are willing to drop a couple of Google applications. Additionally, forced advertising based around personal metadata collection is not present on smartphones as a feature of the OS itself like it is under Windows 10.

Applications spying, that's one thing, but applications can be uninstalled. The OS spying however? That's just plain unacceptable.

For the record, as an OS Android does not spy on users, due to the fact that the AOSP is available I would imagine one would be able to check the source code to validate this.

AOSP is "the bare essentials" and manufacturers are free to develop above and beyond that as they see fit - so saying that Android itself is incapable of spying for <whoever> is a bit presumptuous. A perfect example of this extended development of the base AOSP code is BlackBerry's work on securing Android for their own devices. I'm not saying they've added spying features or anything of the like, I'm simply saying that AOSP is that base that gets built upon as the manufacturer of a device wishes it to be for said devices.

How many "cheap Chinese smartphones" have been sold and then later it was discovered that the device and the OS it's running have been spying on end users with malware of various kinds from the factory? And just because they're from manufacturers that skimp and save every cent possible (or Yen or Ruble or whatever the smallest unit of their country currency happens to be) doesn't mean that larger ones haven't taken it upon themselves to do something of a similar note. Yes I suppose you'll come back with "that wasn't the OS, that was the apps preinstalled from the factory..." but that's not quite the whole story either.

AOSP is "the bare essentials" and manufacturers are free to develop above and beyond that as they see fit - so saying that Android itself is incapable of spying for <whoever> is a bit presumptuous..
The OS itself isn'T capable of spying but all the services and apps that google provides are capable of collecting vast amounts of information about you. All tied to an account which you're forced to use if you want to use most services. You can't even use the play store if you don't have an account tied to your device. Of course you can create multiple fake accounts but it's not what most people do. Even I'm too lazy to do that, I'm winging it based on the assumption that I'm too small fish for anyone to be after my collected data.

I'm sure as hell that google knows way more about anyone than MS does even with full windows 10 telemetry enabled.

But that doesn't mean I like telemetry. Because google collects data trough the services they provide, that you choose to use. But MS collects data trough the core OS that you must use if you wish to have the chance to use any service at all on your device.

AOSP is "the bare essentials" and manufacturers are free to develop above and beyond that as they see fit - so saying that Android itself is incapable of spying for <whoever> is a bit presumptuous. A perfect example of this extended development of the base AOSP code is BlackBerry's work on securing Android for their own devices. I'm not saying they've added spying features or anything of the like, I'm simply saying that AOSP is that base that gets built upon as the manufacturer of a device wishes it to be for said devices.

How many "cheap Chinese smartphones" have been sold and then later it was discovered that the device and the OS it's running have been spying on end users with malware of various kinds from the factory? And just because they're from manufacturers that skimp and save every cent possible (or Yen or Ruble or whatever the smallest unit of their country currency happens to be) doesn't mean that larger ones haven't taken it upon themselves to do something of a similar note. Yes I suppose you'll come back with "that wasn't the OS, that was the apps preinstalled from the factory..." but that's not quite the whole story either.

AOSP Android is Android, without modification it is the OEM vanilla version of the OS. Provided you have the necessary drivers you can install it on any device and it will run fine with no spyware. Add Gapps and you add Googles tracking software, but you still don't get forced targeted advertising on an OS level like you do with Windows 10. When it comes to cheap Chinese phones, I've yet to see spyware implemented in the OS itself, it's usually always a third party hidden application doing all the spying.

Even cheap Chinese phones based on AOSP should be able to have their source code inspected.

Yes I suppose you'll come back with "that wasn't the OS, that was the apps preinstalled from the factory..." but that's not quite the whole story either.

My word I will as that's my point.

The OS isn't spying, third party proprietary applications are. When it comes to Windows the OS is doing all the spying and that's unacceptable. The OS is no more than the interface between the user and the PC.

I'm on 10 and never seen the store once. I've continued to download dtuff through my browser from a webpage or through game client. Thank you for reminding me there's a store and informing me it sucks.
Used it to get Forza 6 for free 'cause I like to race every now and again, Store doesn't pop up when I launch the game or anything so there's one small point in its favor. Happily continued ignoring it after that.

Guess what MS, gasp, I don't care about updates anyway! They are mostly overrated, useless and very rarely if ever solve problems without causing more. Oh gosh the CIA gunna get into mah filezzz!!111!

Now if we keep this up, they don't have a carrot any more. Seriously, who the fuck wants advertisement and constantly reeling in OS changing shit without your permission? I don't want to deal with that BS.

Gunna be running win7 Sp28 or whatever the fuck it's up to + linux and w10 without updates for a long time it seems.
I hope MS realizes their entire strategy is just driving people away from updating. I know more and more people who don't. Good AV/Firewall and you're set.

On Win 8.1 and Kabylake 7700k. Guess I'll just disable Windows Update. Grab my updates the manual way.

Or, run updates and let us know if the situation is actually occurring for you or not? I would be interested in knowing straight up experience on this one.

Most users can probably get by with android/linux as far as daily computing for all of the above situations. And most business that i have seen lately have been moving to cloud based computing meaning as long as it has a working web browser it will work...

No, they cannot unless all they do is stuff on their phone all day and nothing else. Also, please stop perpetuating this falsehood, Android is locked down, period, please do not preach it is the free and let you do anything you want standard of Operating Systems.

Hang on.

What you are seeing is vulnerabilities found, now there could be more vulnerabilities under Windows 10 that simply haven't been discovered yet due to it's low adoption rate, laziness on behalf of MS, etc.

Basically, seeing that vulnerabilities are being discovered and patched is a very good thing, contrary to the way you're trying to spin things it actually looks good when vulnerabilities are discovered. The fact that more vulnerabilities are being discovered under Linux makes perfect sense as Linux basically runs the internet.

You're viewing the data with the wrong perspective.

No , I'm not hanging on. I've deployed a lot of Linux. I know what I'm seeing.

What I'm seeing is the fact that in the end all the code contributed is literally contributed without warranty or really any consequence whatsoever. I'm seeing the fact that Linux has moved away from or been less effective at hardening efforts at source creation and left that to the more paranoid. I'm seeing a lot of those flaws carrying over in Android, arguably soon to be the most deployed OS on the planet and it's deployed in a such a state where it's rarely , if ever, actually updated for the end users. So the most highly used OS will also be the one with the shoddiest security patching, but have the highest reported (and well documented) number of flaws which will in MOST cases never be patched after deployment.

I agree, they are generally quick to patch flaws when reported. Unfortunately a lot of people busy finding flaws aren't reporting them in the classic sense. You can buy zero day flaws researched especially for you by firing up your Tor browser and forking over some Bitcoin. Any decent coder can turn those into exploits and we know it does happen.

I'm not spinning anything, I gain nothing from doing so.

Looks like Microsoft wants to put a huge dent in newer hardware sales. Wonder how the CPU market responds. Then again perhaps this is a combined effort to sell older processors that are still on the shelves. Either way this is a shady business tactic from Microsoft.

Or, run updates and let us know if the situation is actually occurring for you or not? I would be interested in knowing straight up experience on this one.

I can do that when I get home. The problem is, I'm on Enterprise. So I don't know if it'll be a different experience with Pro.

Looks like Microsoft wants to put a huge dent in newer hardware sales. Wonder how the CPU market responds. Then again perhaps this is a combined effort to sell older processors that are still on the shelves. Either way this is a shady business tactic from Microsoft.

The new CPU and hardware sales will remain unaffected but, I am sure folks around here will try to claim otherwise. Or they will claim this is the year of the LINUX!

Any company worth their salt took advantage of the upgrade and has things locked down via GPO and WSUS.
You obviously do not work at a non tech fortune 100.

Windows 10 will likely not finish in house beta for another 6-12 months. Roll out will be over the course of a year. So likely 2 years from now before 10 is everywhere in our company.

Apache is losing share to MS SQL Server and MVC on server systems.

I love and recommend Windows 10 and have it on all my 5 computers with no problems whatsoever. So what if the FBI is watching me? Not doing anything wrong except ...

Arguing that you don’t care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don’t care about free speech because you have nothing to say.
Even if you're not doing anything wrong, you are being watched and recorded.
Privacy matters. Privacy is what allows us to determine who we are and who we want to be.
Edward Snowden

the-hidden-security-danger-dont-let-email-be-your-downfall-59-638.jpg

Modern Linux distros are just as good as Windows (the desktop managers stole most of the features of Windows) but the problem is software. Not much available on Linux because of the "everything must be free and open source" stance that a majority of Linux users stand by. I remember 10-15 years ago when NVIDIA started releasing drivers and they were closed source. How dare they!!!! Lots of bitching and shit fits all the neckbeards were having.

It seems like most of the point of forcing users into Windows 10 is the Store, because Microsoft wants that app money that Google and Apple are raking in. Yet, the store has nothing compelling for desktop users, plenty of limitations and issues, and does a poor job at filtering and promoting useful content. It's also yet another interface that's inconsistently designed, weak on touch systems and obtuse on desktops. I'd get it if their tablet and phone sales were high, but they're just not. So...why? You're going to annoy the taste-making [H]igh end users, and it's another reason for everyone to keep deciding their older PC is "good enough".
The Windows Store is the only way to get Play Anywhere titles on PC, so it's the only reason I'm using it. But the UI is such garbage that I actually buy the games on my Xbox instead :ROFLMAO:.
Just the window snapping for multi screen setups alone makes Windows 10 worth it imo.
But I have no issue with window snapping on multiple screens in Windows 7?

Unfortunately for Microsoft, they totally failed in mobile and some took that to mean, Windows 7 forever. Except maybe younger people that wondered why the hell there was no way to give voice commands to their PC like their phone?

Microsoft's failure in smartphone created a generational problem for them. Long time Windows users are all about PCs from the 80's. Smartphone users aren't.

Agreed about the FBI, but Windows used to offer less that it does now in telemetry tracking so it's still an erosion. But, nonetheless, I really, really, don't think 'kids these days' are wanting to talk to their PC's. MS should realize they're never going to catch the young crowd. It's over for them there as the kids these days only give a shit about a phone, and probably a console. The PC in their minds is grandpa's legacy. What they should do is focus on what they know best- a desktop OS. If they want to try to shoehorn some tablet specific OS into mobile devices then they could have tried harder with RT. Except, they would have needed to come up with different branding. Even the term Windows in young minds means old and crappy. This won't be something 'hip' MS will be able to fix.

Back