Microsoft Blocks Windows Update from Being Used in Windows 7/8.1 on New CPUs

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

It looks like Microsoft is at it again. The company is now encouraging users to migrate to Windows 10 by blocking Windows Update from anyone who has a newer CPU paired with older editions of Windows. Luckily, there are ways to update manually, but this doesn’t seem like a great decision by MS.

A few months ago, Microsoft announced that it would not support AMD’s Ryzen and Intel’s Kaby Lake CPUs in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. However, we did not expect the company to block the complete usage of its Windows Update tool on those particular systems. According to reports – as well as Microsoft’s official support page – the Windows Update is not working at all on PC systems equipped with AMD’s Ryzen or Intel’s Kaby Lake CPUs that use Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. This basically means that those with such CPUs will have to either use outdated operating systems that are full of security holes or upgrade to Windows 10.

captaindiptoad likes this.
  2. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

3. That_Sound_Guy

That_Sound_Guy 2[H]4U

Holding customers hostage by making their OS purposely unsafe And make them spend money on something they don't need. FU MS.

c3k, captaindiptoad, Formosa and 17 others like this.
  4. leathco016

leathco016 Limp Gawd

How in the world do they think this is a good decision? This is borderline punishing users who don't wish to upgrade.

5. BulletDust

BulletDust [H]ardness Supreme

Ah, you can't help but loathe Microsoft.

6. bobdabilder

bobdabilder Limp Gawd

Moved to linux mint a while back. Server is next then the other laptop.

7. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

So after tricking people into downgrading to Windows 10, they now force the Ad Platform down your throat.

Way to go microsoft.

8. Mohonri

Mohonri [H]ardness Supreme

Yeesh, they just don't know when to stop, do they?

I installed Mint on an old spare computer last weekend. Actually seems pretty slick.

captaindiptoad and BulletDust like this.
  9. andrewaggb

andrewaggb Limp Gawd

I'm not sure why they wouldn't just display a nag screen saying your processor is unsupported on this version of windows and as such any crashes, errors, losses, financial harm etc is entirely on you the end user. Disabling windows updates seems silly.

captaindiptoad, Formosa and Armenius like this.
  10. BulletDust

Mint is really nice. I'm currently running Ubuntu Mate and absolutely love it, but Mint was one of the first distro's I ever really used full time, I still think of switching back now and then.

That's the problem with so much choice, you get restless...

wizdum and Rattle like this.
  11. Betaboy1983

Betaboy1983 [H]ard|Gawd

Crap like this might just turn Windows into Adobe Flash and have everyone wanting to jump ship.

Dykstraflex, vr., c3k and 10 others like this.
  12. crispyb

crispyb Magical Crispyness

I wonder how this affect corporate users

xX326Xx and Nokia like this.
  13. Avalanche

Avalanche Pendleton - Learn It, Live It, Know It

Any company worth their salt took advantage of the upgrade and has things locked down via GPO and WSUS.

Armenius and crispyb like this.
  14. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

They are sad beyond belief.
    This will drive people underground to get updates.
    Stupidity at its best.

captaindiptoad and Formosa like this.
  15. Mugato

Mugato Muh Feelz!

That and doesn't run white boxes. OEM's will not bundle 7 with Kaby.

16. Lunas

Lunas [H]ardForum Junkie

The new CEO is bound and determined to loose the vice grip Bill Gates spent much of his life to establish... I predict we will one day not use Microsoft at all in the majority of pc. The only thing that needs to happen is a unified platform to be backed by the game makers and amd and Intel... Software programmers would follow.

My guess is Microsoft is paving the way for Linux to become the os of choice Google has a real opportunity here to make Android into the one stop os to use...

c3k, captaindiptoad, Formosa and 8 others like this.
  17. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow [H]ardness Supreme

I switched from 7 to Linux Mint back in October. I'm very happy with it.

All my hardware 'just works.' All my favorite games and about 1/3 of my Steam library are Linux compatible. Try it yourself and see how it goes.

BulletDust likes this.
  18. Lunas

Lunas [H]ardForum Junkie

Unfortunately my amd smart switch graphics don't work in Linux and I would be stuck with igpu from Intel... But yes if anyone is using a real computer to run their stuff it is not too bad...

19. schizrade

schizrade [H]ardness Supreme

This is Satya Nadella and his new crew. What a load of shit.

20. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Well, they *did* throw out warnings months ago. But they didn't specifically put out then what ways they would enforce the warnings. Doing it through WU seems like a rotten idea. Those who are not savvy enough to work around this are going to be in a world of hurt, confusion and anger, way more than all us [H] folks. I'm in the Windows 10 minority and not having to deal with this on my personal boxes. Trying to explain this to a customer sounds like a "ton of fun." :meh:

Armenius likes this.
  21. Evil Timmy

Evil Timmy [H]Lite

It seems like most of the point of forcing users into Windows 10 is the Store, because Microsoft wants that app money that Google and Apple are raking in. Yet, the store has nothing compelling for desktop users, plenty of limitations and issues, and does a poor job at filtering and promoting useful content. It's also yet another interface that's inconsistently designed, weak on touch systems and obtuse on desktops. I'd get it if their tablet and phone sales were high, but they're just not. So...why? You're going to annoy the taste-making [H]igh end users, and it's another reason for everyone to keep deciding their older PC is "good enough".

PantherBlitz, Armenius and JackNSally like this.
  22. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

You guys give in too damn easy.

First of all, you can change your windows hardware id at a whim. You can also change what CPU windows thinks you have. From CPU to video card to anything. This could be a possible work around.

Also, their is an OS community out there that provides Windows ISO's for AIO's ... lite versions, etc. I used a Windows 7 lite version for years. There is even a Windows 7 Super Lite version out there. New versions of Windows 7 that are updated come out all the time. I just recently saw a Windows 7 that was updated thru Jan or Feb 2017. No doubt someone has already released the March 2017 version of Windows 7.

If you own a Windows 7 license then you're good. I would never suggest you pirate a copy of Windows 7 but if you do this, make sure you have a valid license. They are very easy to obtain and cheap.

There is even a Windows 8 embedded some guys run as well as a community Windows 8 project that's based off, you guessed it, Windows 8 that's supposed to be pretty good.

As some have suggested, linux mint cinnamon is also a great OS which has a tiny footprint, loads in a few seconds and does anything Windows does other than out of the box support for modern games. Yes, Linux can run games but nothing like what Windows supports. To me that's the only trade-off.

Also, while updates are great, you guys can also automatically image your OS on a daily basis. There are several ways in which you guys can effectively guard yourself against BS coming into your box.

Also, I think being a part of the HardOCP community almost demands you never cave in, conform, give in or follow rules when this type of shit is involved. To me, HardOCP has always been about adapting, work a rounds and ultimately getting the last laugh.

Don't be a PC Bitch or a Computer Pu55y.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    c3k, BigJayDogg3, dugn and 2 others like this.
  23. Ebernanut

Ebernanut [H]ard|Gawd

What the actual fuck, how is this even legal? I can understand not adding new features to an old OS but this is arbitrarily blocking an old feature for no apparent reason other than to force people to an OS they obviously don't want.

I guess this is what happens when you put the person in charge of xbox in charge of windows. Vulkan really needs to take off because I'd love to be able to jump ship but I'm over dealing with dual boots or emulation.

Formosa likes this.
  24. bman212121

bman212121 [H]ard|Gawd

Wow. This isn't even one of those misinterpreted the truth things, I clicked through to the actual MS page on this and it flat out says:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ch-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

This is the first time I can remember an issue like this ever occurring. It's one thing if I were trying to load Windows 98SE and the computer was so new it wouldn't work right. But we're talking about operating systems that are still supported, and won't work on new hardware? This is something I'd expect from Apple, VMware, but definitely not something Microsoft has done before. One of the reasons why Microsoft is so pervasive is because it could run on just about anything you can throw together. (Whether it's new or old or a combination of both) I'd guess there is some bug that would take a significant amount of time to fix, and they don't want to bother. But I'd also guess that once some large enterprise with a big contract pushes their weight around, they will probably change their tune and go ahead and fix this issue.

PantherBlitz, Formosa and Armenius like this.
  25. zero2dash

zero2dash [H]ardness Supreme

So far there's no indication that they'll outright block you from installing updates on your own - only that you won't be able to search for updates in Windows Update.
    That being the case (at least on the surface) - use this instead to update your system(s): http://download.wsusoffline.net/
    You'd be better off using that anyway because you can drop the root dir on any machine and update multiple without having to repeat download all the updates all over again.
    Most people know about it, but for those that don't...there ya go.

Glad I started dual booting into Ubuntu MATE. I'll run 7 into the ground and it's not being used for anything else other than the DirectX games which will never be ported to Steam (unless they get Vulkan support). The "new Microsoft" can go fuck off.

Armenius and blkt like this.
  26. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm curious how heatlesssun will ideologize this one.

They're more desperate than I thought. I mean how many people have these processors, not much that for sure. And how many of them would want to stick to an older windows? Even less. There is literally minimal benefit to trying to force them on 10. If you have a brand new cpu and still want to stick to 7 you must have a damn good reason. So this will just piss them off.

27. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

Took advantage of what upgrade? Volume licenses didn't get free upgrade to windows 10. EA customers always have the latest licenses as they pay annually for licenses and do true ups every year.

Not sure if this change from MS would affect a kaby lake system on Windows 7 and pointed to a WSUS server though. That may be a good work around for keeping windows 7 around longer.

Armenius, Cheveyboy and Seelenlos like this.
  28. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

There already is a one stop OS, Windows. Also, you want a locked out of any control OS such as Android? MS haters really are not logical. Windows will be the One stop for at least the next couple of decades so, good luck.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  29. Lunas

Lunas [H]ardForum Junkie

Windows will not be the one stop the way they are going. Between it being malware and it railroading updates down it's users throats along with all the shitty things it does for anti privacy... And you think Android locks control out eh... Perhaps you should visit the XDA forums and GitHub people can spin their own version of Android and it is fully based on Linux...

Wrecked Em likes this.
  30. Avalanche

Avalanche Pendleton - Learn It, Live It, Know It

If you paid for Software Assurance you were eligible to upgrade.

31. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Well this is bullshit.

Formosa, Revdarian, Fun and 1 other person like this.
  32. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

None of this matters to most windows users.
    On the consumer end, most people never upgrade their OS (unless they accidently upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period).
    They will run whatever version came on their laptop/desktop, and when they buy a new system, they end up with whatever version came with the new computer.
    Any Windows system from any legitimate OEM that has one of the new chips in it will ship with Windows 10.

As for Business, it's pretty much the same.
    If it's a small company, it's likely they will stick with the current OS until they replace the computer.
    If it's a larger company, with a site license, they can upgrade their system to the current OS. If they downgrade new systems to an older OS, then it's their problem.

Most businesses have too much invested in Windows to switch to another OS. Unlikely to happen for a very long time.

Armenius and ManofGod like this.
  33. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

Any company worth their salt wouldn't touch Windows 10 with your ten foot pole. Why? There's not a single must-have new feature where business is concerned.

And the "free" upgrade didn't apply to the kinds of organizations that run WSUS with GPO's anyway.

The King of Pants likes this.
  34. wizdum

wizdum [H]ard|Gawd

We're rolling Ubuntu Mate out to our school district this week. Administration has been testing it for about a month. It just works.

Formosa, Vermillion and BulletDust like this.
  35. Rattle

Rattle 2[H]4U

Hmm Linux mint sounds more minty by the second... After I play the final dark souls 3 dlc on my PC I think it's time to flush windows out forever. My only concern is customizing foobar2k to play hi res and dsd/SACD audio rips like I can in windows. Other than that I don't care about anything windows anymore.

BulletDust likes this.
  36. -PK-

-PK- [H]ard|Gawd

This is why you don't let the marketing department run your company. They have no investment in the company other than greed and manipulation.

Armenius, lilbabycat and Madoc like this.
  37. BulletDust

Since when does Android lock the user out of control? The AOSP allows users to make their own version of Android with any features they deem necessary?

38. Jovian

Jovian Limp Gawd

I was fine with forced applied updates because that protects the internet from unpatched idiot boxes. But this is just plain reckless!

39. BulletDust

Does this help at all?

https://delightlylinux.wordpress.com/2016/09/06/playing-dsd-audio-files-in-linux/

Travolta and Rattle like this.
  40. BulletDust

Awesome!

I'm not really much of a vanilla Ubuntu fan, but Ubuntu Mate is a beautiful distro.