Microsoft Blocks Windows 10 Mobile Updates for Majority of Windows Phones

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In a bizarre decision, Microsoft has pulled their Upgrade Advisor app, which means that Windows 8.1 users are out of luck if they still haven’t upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile. This follows the news that only 13 Windows Phone devices have been given the privilege of receiving the Creators Update. While Microsoft claims they are not killing Windows 10 Mobile, all of this is evidence to the contrary.

Microsoft recently culled the number if Windows phones that could upgrade to newer versions of the OS with the release of the Creators Update, and now the firm has pulled the Upgrade Advisor app that was necessary for Windows Phone 8.1 users to make the jump to Windows 10 Mobile. Aside from that, some Windows 10 Mobile users (but not all) are now reporting that the Windows Insider app no longer offers new builds for devices on 8.1, which means that if those Insiders on newly unsupported phones which originally shipped with Windows 8.1 decide to downgrade, they may no longer be able to upgrade their devices to any build of Windows 10 Mobile – supported or no.

I was promised w10m on my blu phone. then ms change the sys reqs and I was sol. kinda chapped my ass....

I'm sure that the 5 people who own Windows phones are very upset about this.
I was actually. the promise of w10 upgrade was one of the selling points to me. I even bought it from the ms store. ive had several windows phones before then a few androids and went back to windows. I prefer it for the few things I use it for and the simplicity of it.

I can only hope that Microsoft is looking at a full fledged pocket pc that also makes calls. But the ability they have to jack up a good thing is legendary so we shall see...

I'm one of the 5 people who prefers win phone over android and ios. :D

Come on now, there has to be a good point to this. Heatlesssun? Whatcha' got?
Okay I'm going to shoot in the dark and guess that some of these updates contain data collection measures that they can get away with on desktop, but could actually violate wiretapping laws when used on a phone depending on what region you're in.

Wait, is that 13 models, or 13 phones?

Actually either way it's most of the units sold, isn't it?

Windows Phone gets a bad rap for some reason... but it's pretty solid.

The problem is the execs at Microsoft are enormous dicks so no one wants to partner with them un less they have to. Microsoft really has no friends, just money

Come on now, there has to be a good point to this. Heatlesssun? Whatcha' got?

From what I read last week they changed to requirements so that only certain CPUs would be supported to start adding in new features. Kind of how Apple dropped support in OS X after a few releases so that older devices would no longer support new versions of OS X. The windows phone support 10 and 10.1 (if you want to consider the anniversary update to be that. They just won't support 10.2 (creators update) as some of the new planned features need a certain level processor. Some of the older phones dropped are only 32-bit instead of 64-bit and don't support ARM. When 8.1 came out on the desktop the upgrade advisor for 8 changed to be 8.1 and you couldn't get 8 anymore unless you kept a backup copy, the same applies here. It sucks, but that is normal practice.

Honestly if somebody hasn't upgraded from windows 8.1 to 10 by now that means that either their carrier wasn't ever going to let them as you needed your carrier to make an version for you or they had no desire to upgrade. Which is why I had to use the insider program to get my old 1520 from windows 8.1 to 10 as AT&T was putting off making an upgrade package. Visually there wasn't anything massive that changed between 8.1 and 10 so it is far less likely to be like it is on a pc where somebody upgraded to mobile 10 and then decided they wanted to go back to 8.1 till a later date.

Hahahahahaha. Microsoft blows. I have migrated to linux and don't miss windows at all.

you rooted your phone and installed Linux on it? How well does that work for making calls and text?

Like a champ. ;)
From what I read last week they changed to requirements so that only certain CPUs would be supported to start adding in new features. Kind of how Apple dropped support in OS X after a few releases so that older devices would no longer support new versions of OS X. The windows phone support 10 and 10.1 (if you want to consider the anniversary update to be that. They just won't support 10.2 (creators update) as some of the new planned features need a certain level processor. Some of the older phones dropped are only 32-bit instead of 64-bit and don't support ARM. When 8.1 came out on the desktop the upgrade advisor for 8 changed to be 8.1 and you couldn't get 8 anymore unless you kept a backup copy, the same applies here. It sucks, but that is normal practice.

Honestly if somebody hasn't upgraded from windows 8.1 to 10 by now that means that either their carrier wasn't ever going to let them as you needed your carrier to make an version for you or they had no desire to upgrade. Which is why I had to use the insider program to get my old 1520 from windows 8.1 to 10 as AT&T was putting off making an upgrade package. Visually there wasn't anything massive that changed between 8.1 and 10 so it is far less likely to be like it is on a pc where somebody upgraded to mobile 10 and then decided they wanted to go back to 8.1 till a later date.

you rooted your phone and installed Linux on it? How well does that work for making calls and text?

Okay I'm going to shoot in the dark and guess that some of these updates contain data collection measures that they can get away with on desktop, but could actually violate wiretapping laws when used on a phone depending on what region you're in.
I believe these , oddish , decisions from MS stem from the same reason as the delay of the most recent update; the weak link in the MS chain is the forced update code...releasing updates for different platforms creates a lensing effect that will highlight the flaw they found in the forced update architecture. They are only delaying the inevitable.

on edit: I smell blood in the water

OR you had to do a system recovery on the phone, which rolled it back to 8.1, as happened to my wife earlier this week. Windows Upgrade Advisor was still available to download, but it no longer said her Lumia 1520 was compatible with the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade. I had to get the Windows Insider app and put her on the 'SLOW' ring to slowly get her up to the Creator's Update release on her phone.

What is the big deal really? Maybe the OS ran like crap on those older devices or the processors didn't have the needed features. You can't run iOS 10 on an iPhone 3, My old Galaxy S3 wouldn't run Android version 7. Seems like par for the course really. Just because Windows is now just version 10, doesn't mean there aren't major differences from version 10.1 to 10.2. Apple, Google and Microsoft all set minimum requirements on their OS's. Sure you might be able to get Windows 7 installed on your 486, but would you really want to use it?

Yeah well, this is not news, anyone who owns a Windows Mobile Phone already knows this. The sad thing is, Microsoft have really hurt themselves with their recent piss poor mobile efforts which, is to say, practically nonexistent. :(

I'm sure that the 5 people who own Windows phones are very upset about this.

Actually, still 10 or millions but, that number is shrinking with nothing new to be bought from them. (Also, their silence on the future of their mobile platform is not helping things either.)

What is the big deal really? Maybe the OS ran like crap on those older devices or the processors didn't have the needed features. You can't run iOS 10 on an iPhone 3, My old Galaxy S3 wouldn't run Android version 7. Seems like par for the course really. Just because Windows is now just version 10, doesn't mean there aren't major differences from version 10.1 to 10.2. Apple, Google and Microsoft all set minimum requirements on their OS's. Sure you might be able to get Windows 7 installed on your 486, but would you really want to use it?
Those are straw goal posts and you damn well know it.

Microsoft's Lumia 930 is 3 years old at the oldest, and is no longer supported (de facto), nevermind the "flagship" of that era, the 1520. Unsupported. It would be as if Apple didn't release iOS 10 onto the iPhone 6 or the iPhone 5S (both of which already have the latest versions of iOS 10 available, btw - Apple is still supporting all the way back to the iPhone 5).

Comparatively, it would be as if the Galaxy S5 didn't....

Wait. So what everyone has been saying is true.

Windows Mobile: the worst of iOS' locked down walled garden, and the worst of Android's post-launch support.

Windows Phone gets a bad rap for some reason... but it's pretty solid.
Hardware wise it it but that's because it is essentially a nokia. My workphone is a 950 and while the hardware is great (never had an issue with signal and used it around the world) the os is .. meh. It integrate very well with exchange which is good but MS fucking around again have lead the company I work for to drop windows phones and go for iPhones resulting in poor email and calender integration

What do you mean Galaxy S III can't run Android 7? Just look https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development - and get your 7.1.1 fix. The thing with Android is, it's open source so you get new versions of system for a long time after release if you buy smart, even if they are not made by original hardware maker. There are no major differences between Windows versions 10.1 to 10.2, it is most likely that they don't want to assign personel to testing compatibility and loose more money on a dying platform. Maybe in developing some app they used non-standard code instructions or whatever and now that does not work on some hardware and they don't want to take time to fix it. You could probably make a comparison going by hardware installed in phones. But why bother, they are lazy and the platform is dying, why put an effort in?

This has everything to do with microsoft.

One has nothing to do with the other in the context of what the person I quoted was trying to get at. Try to stick to the topic at hand, as difficult as I know that is around here to happen. :D You guys have no idea, short of actually having skin in the game, what MS has truly done to kill off the Windows Mobile platform. :(

Therefore, the Linux Elitist stuff has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Of course, this has nothing to do with Windows 10 Mobile but, then again, Linux elitist just have to get their say in.

I prefer to refer to them as Linux Fascists.

Windows phone is actually okay, but their app ecosystem sucks terribly. Spoken as an ex (mandated) Windows Phone user. The latest 950 series hardware is actually powerful and gorgeous. But that doesn't matter if there are no apps. #wompWomp

Windows phone is actually okay, but their app ecosystem sucks terribly. Spoken as an ex (mandated) Windows Phone user. The latest 950 series hardware is actually powerful and gorgeous. But that doesn't matter if there are no apps. #wompWomp

You pack Android and Playstore together, you pack Apple with it's store, why would you ever try to judge Windows Mobile and it's store separately. The platform may be robust, easy on the eyes, simple to use and even quite safe (as Windows Mobile is) but it helps none when you have no apps to play with and the users are shot at with "no upgrade for you" bullet time and again.
MS should publish this Windows on ARM version and optimize shit out of it so even medium phones could run most desktop apps (and they can, after all Snapdragon 820 on display had no problem with performance). I guess it's the last chance they have, this should be free like Windows was on tablets below 10 inch or even with special incentives. Apps would be a problem certainly, but essential ones for every day use are there anyway, and the ability to use desktop apps, no matter how cumbersome could be an incentive (connect to big screen or use pen).
Yeah, I'm rambling... it's just so sad to see decades of work and effort being squandered like that.

Snowflake alert.

Had no problem upgrading my 32 bit 8" Winbook tablet to the latest Windows 10 (creators update) this weekend, so this isn't a 32/64 bit issue, at least on x86.

Sorry no it not

Clear Windows phones have failed in the market place. However as a phone OS its at least decent. The lack of apps has always been the biggest weakness because of it's tiny market share. My 950 does pretty much all I need from a phone but I probably will eventually get an Android phone because of the app problem but I'll probably keep a Windows phone around as well as long as they are available. Microsoft, if they have plans to do a Surface Phone with ARM x86 compatibility, which I think they will, they need to do it now.

Back