Microsoft appears to have given up on cloud gaming in the short term

Every experience that I have had with cloud gaming has just sucked.. geforce now sucks... microsoft cloud gaming sucks.. some other service that I don't even remember the name of but I tried 5~ years ago (awhile anyways) sucked... it just sucks the latency is always going to kill it, doesn't work and it isn't going to.

Every experience that I have had with cloud gaming has just sucked.. geforce now sucks... microsoft cloud gaming sucks.. some other service that I don't even remember the name of but I tried 5~ years ago (awhile anyways) sucked... it just sucks the latency is always going to kill it, doesn't work and it isn't going to.
GeForce Now was pretty bad until I upgraded to gigabit internet, then it was pretty great. It was garbage with normal internet.

GeForce Now was pretty bad until I upgraded to gigabit internet, then it was pretty great. It was garbage with normal internet.
What exactly is normal internet? Most people don't have a choice in what internet they can use. I see a lot of people using cell phone internet for their homes, because it's cheaper. When I was the T-Mobile store, people were buying these things like crazy. You won't be cloud gaming well on that service. Anyway, gigabit internet still doesn't fix latency for cloud gaming.

What exactly is normal internet? Most people don't have a choice in what internet they can use. I see a lot of people using cell phone internet for their homes, because it's cheaper. When I was the T-Mobile store, people were buying these things like crazy. You won't be cloud gaming well on that service. Anyway, gigabit internet still doesn't fix latency for cloud gaming.
The only time latency matters is for online multiplayer games and no, gigabit internet won't fix that.

The only time latency matters is for online multiplayer games and no, gigabit internet won't fix that.

Gigabit vs 100mbit doesn't really matter, but if gigabit internet means fiber vs DSL, that's going to drop your pings a significant amount and that will matter.

Gigabit vs 100mbit doesn't really matter, but if gigabit internet means fiber vs DSL, that's going to drop your pings a significant amount and that will matter.
I personally didn't notice any issues with the fiber, but I've read people have had issues. But fiber is very much not available all over the country, so cloud gaming probably sucks for most people.

I had the opposite experience with Geforce Now Ultimate. Its pretty much identical to my real gaming machine; even at 4K. However, it might be because I have a reliable and fast Internet connection. Looking forward to it growing in popularity are most people get better Internet connections.

Around here you get Starlink, Cellular, or if you are in town you can get DSL. There is a cable startup going around but they buy their service from said DSL provider so only advantage is newer infrastructure.

I’m lucky to see less than 65ms between me and a relatively close server. Normally I am in the 80 range and around here that’s considered great.

Around here you get Starlink, Cellular, or if you are in town you can get DSL. There is a cable startup going around but they buy their service from said DSL provider so only advantage is newer infrastructure.

I’m lucky to see less than 65ms between me and a relatively close server. Normally I am in the 80 range and around here that’s considered great.
Upstate NY where my uncle lives I was surprised that they had Fiber. It's not good Fiber, as they have to pay $200 for 1000 mbps down and 50mbps up. How is upload not as fast as download on Fiber? It's certainly not from a big company like Google or FIOS, and they got lucky that the town invested into Fiber. They would absolutely be on Starlink if this Fiber service didn't exist.

Whoever first sold Microsoft and these big companies the idea that Cloud Gaming is viable must be very persuasive, because anyone with half a brain would've known it's a bad idea.
They probably sold them on the idea of, what if you were the host of the next PubG?
Fully streamed, no local client, no cheating, where players pay you to play it from anything anytime they want?
And it went from there.

They probably sold them on the idea of, what if you were the host of the next PubG?
Fully streamed, no local client, no cheating, where players pay you to play it from anything anytime they want?
And it went from there.
I think it was the idea of reoccurring revenue through monthly fees. From there you can see the value from no piracy, no used game sales, and better access since you don't need to own expensive hardware. From there you have other benefits like, no cheating, no updates, no mods and etc. From a consumers perspective this sucks, but from a corporations perspective it's like laying the golden goose. At that point you just leverage exclusives and watch as the money prints itself.

it-prints-money-switch.gif

I think it was the idea of reoccurring revenue through monthly fees. From there you can see the value from no piracy, no used game sales, and better access since you don't need to own expensive hardware. From there you have other benefits like, no cheating, no updates, no mods and etc. From a consumers perspective this sucks, but from a corporations perspective it's like laying the golden goose. At that point you just leverage exclusives and watch as the money prints itself.

View attachment 601198
I mean the switch does print money but yes. If they could get consumer buy-in on the idea of cloud gaming it would be a printing press of cash, but Mobile gaming stole their market.

AI might be able to figure out some latency/compression tricks same way it's figuring out graphical ones

AI might be able to figure out some latency/compression tricks same way it's figuring out graphical ones
For online games local latency means very little if it’s drastically less than that between the local machine and the servers because having 6ms local means squat if you have 80ms to the server that’s supposed to be syncing everything anyways.

So if they have this done and your game is in the 20’s or 30’s it may not be PC good but your still better than most PS4 era TV/Console setups which were far higher local forget about online which could easily be in the low 100’s based on the wifi controller alone.

For online games local latency means very little if it’s drastically less than that between the local machine and the servers because having 6ms local means squat if you have 80ms to the server that’s supposed to be syncing everything anyways.

I wasn't talking about local

Stadia did that thing with controller connecting right to data center or something (novel idea even with stadia being a flop)

See if AI can do/think up any wacky stuff like that or something that leads us to it

It is surprising to hear that Microsoft is decreasing investment in cloud gaming in the short term. This is especially true given the company's previous statements about the importance of cloud gaming to its future.
Why is it surprising? Maybe surprising to a bot.

Stadia did that thing with controller connecting right to data center or something (novel idea even with stadia being a flop)

See if AI can do/think up any wacky stuff like that or something that leads us to it
I forgot about Stadia...
I had a coworker once who was convinced it was going to be huge.

I forgot about Stadia...
I had a coworker once who was convinced it was going to be huge.

I don't know how. I was in the beta and it was obnoxious from the start. The quality was terrible no matter what you did. I remember you could play Assassin's Creed Odyssey for free during the beta and foliage absolutely trashed the compression.

It was such shit I just bought the game to play locally after like a half hour and never touched Stadia again

I don't know how. I was in the beta and it was obnoxious from the start. The quality was terrible no matter what you did. I remember you could play Assassin's Creed Odyssey for free during the beta and foliage absolutely trashed the compression.

It was such shit I just bought the game to play locally after like a half hour and never touched Stadia again
Wait no I am not thinking of Stadia I am thinking of Ouya, fuck my brain can't keep all the console bad ideas in check anymore they are all blending together into one pile of poorly planned cringe.

I mean the switch does print money but yes. If they could get consumer buy-in on the idea of cloud gaming it would be a printing press of cash, but Mobile gaming stole their market.
Many people think that mobile gaming and PC/Console gaming are the same, but they're not. You won't see a person who plays Starfield or God of War to ditch them for Candy Crush. Mobile gaming is technically gaming but I wouldn't compare it to PC/Console. If that were the case then why hasn't every game developer just make games for mobile only? The main reason cloud gaming failed is the latency and nothing else. No mobile gaming voodoo having any effect here.

Every part of the connection adds latency, so the Stadia controller would bypass the local box and go straight through the internet. The idea was to reduce as much latency as possible to make Stadia more playable. This is more beneficial to something weak like a Chromecast because they were too slow to respond. If you were on a desktop PC or phone then there isn't much to benefit from Stadia's controller. If you want lower latency then don't use WiFI, don't use wireless mice and keyboards, and get yourself a low latency monitor. Stadia's gamepad seemed like a step forward but also a step back because it was running on WiFi. This is why cloud gaming would never work, because there's already too many sources of latency before the data packet even leaves the computer.

Many people think that mobile gaming and PC/Console gaming are the same, but they're not. You won't see a person who plays Starfield or God of War to ditch them for Candy Crush. Mobile gaming is technically gaming but I wouldn't compare it to PC/Console. If that were the case then why hasn't every game developer just make games for mobile only? The main reason cloud gaming failed is the latency and nothing else. No mobile gaming voodoo having any effect here.
It's like people who play board games.
There are those who love playing Chess in their downtime vs. people who play Warhammer, are they moving figures around a board, yeah, are they the same.... Well, I assure you that one of them would fight you if you tried to tell them they were.
Different strokes for different folks, gaming is gaming, is it different yes, does it have the same end result for the player, yeah, are they completely different demographics you bet, but the line blurs a little more each year.
But more and more I see it less about PC, Mobile, Console, people are buying platforms for the content they want.
WoW players don't play many other games, so are they PC gamers or are they WoW players, same with people who play endless games of Fortnight, on a console or iPad or PC it doesn't matter are they a gamer tied to that platform or are they tied to the game.?

The weird one for me is in a few weeks when I am visiting my Mom she wants me to get BG3 set up on her machine because her book club is all about it because some author/influencer they like is all about it, so going to need to see if her beast of a Dell AiO which only plays point and click games, and Spider Solitare can handle it. She doesn't know how to buy it let alone install it, that is going to be a weird ass weekend...

Missed this earlier:

Microsoft appears to have given up on cloud gaming in the short term, according to surprising new information from the Xbox leaks.

When asked what the plan is going forward, for Xbox Cloud Gaming, the answer from Spencer is even more surprising: ‘It’s unclear. We – as I said, for this year, we’re decreasing investment really to zero as we wait to see if we can find market fit with the service of streaming Xbox games to devices, specifically mobile devices.’

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/20/xbox...ow-zero-as-fortnite-on-xcloud-flops-19529573/

this all seems highly surprising, as it was widely assumed that cloud gaming is central to Microsoft’s future gaming plans – not least because it’s one area that Sony, and Nintendo, cannot compete, since Microsoft is a much bigger company and already has server farms around the world.

Indeed, one of the most significant leaks of this week has been for Microsoft’s next gen console, which seems to heavily rely on the cloud.
It's because of the European Commission. As I said before, that acquisition is problematic because of the sheer number of IPs that are now within Microsoft's grip. So the European Union prevented Microsoft from using all of the newly acquired IP for cloud services for 15 years. This should give everyone else enough time to build up their cloud services. Hopefully they use the time wisely.

It's like people who play board games.
There are those who love playing Chess in their downtime vs. people who play Warhammer, are they moving figures around a board, yeah, are they the same.... Well, I assure you that one of them would fight you if you tried to tell them they were.
Different strokes for different folks, gaming is gaming, is it different yes, does it have the same end result for the player, yeah, are they completely different demographics you bet, but the line blurs a little more each year.
But more and more I see it less about PC, Mobile, Console, people are buying platforms for the content they want.
Mobile gaming is more about people who don't have money and are always working. You're not going to sit down and play Baldur's Gate 3 at home when you can't afford a machine to play it. You're also not going to play it when you're at work. Most mobile games are built around the idea that you don't have much time and not much money. This is why China plays the most mobile gaming, because again finances. Japan is also popular, but because they are always working. Why you think Nintendo is big into portable gaming devices?

Cloud gaming could make it cheap enough for people with low income to play AAA console/PC games, if the people that broke could afford a good internet connection and the service. If you need a good portable gaming experience, it won't be through a phones data connection when you enter a subway train or a building where it nearly blocks all your signal. This is where a mobile game or a Switch can come in handy, and since cloud gaming depends on a device like a phone, there's no need for the cloud.
WoW players don't play many other games, so are they PC gamers or are they WoW players, same with people who play endless games of Fortnight, on a console or iPad or PC it doesn't matter are they a gamer tied to that platform or are they tied to the game.?
There are some games where they don't give you much free time to play them, like WoW. This is also why Blizzard has a hard time retaining players, because after the first 3 months of an expansions release the players get sick of it and unsubscribe. This is more of a problem with games not respecting players time.
The weird one for me is in a few weeks when I am visiting my Mom she wants me to get BG3 set up on her machine because her book club is all about it because some author/influencer they like is all about it, so going to need to see if her beast of a Dell AiO which only plays point and click games, and Spider Solitare can handle it. She doesn't know how to buy it let alone install it, that is going to be a weird ass weekend...
Look at Whoopi Goldberg who's like 67 years old and plays Diablo 4. Who would have guessed she had an interest in gaming? It would be funny to see what your mom thinks of the bear sex scene in BG3. Someone has to explain the birds and the bears.

To have high end graphics. Or you know, to game on anything that doesn’t necessarily give you good fast localized graphics. With cloud gaming you could have path tracing while playing CP2077 on your phone while using something like a Backbone. If that doesn’t interest you, fine, but the idea of gaming on anything, anywhere, with amazing graphics is pretty appealing. A game like Baldur’s Gate could be maxed out now and streamed on something with the performance power of an IOT device. EG: you could skip owning a console and simply use the imbedded ARM chip in your TV to play a maxed out level game without having to spend more on another piece of hardware. It’s a game that doesn’t have as many issues with a latency penalty.

If latency didn’t exist, there would be no downsides, other than of course being beholden to cloud gaming service providers. Considering that the cost of a “mid-range” gaming PC costs $1000, it would be possible to game, again on whatever hardware you already have, maxed out, for $20 a month. So for the cost of a mid range computer today that gives you mid tier graphics, you could have 4 years of maxed out graphics. That mid range system would probably have problems near the end of its service life, (newer games etc) and the streaming service would continue to give you top graphics.

That’s pretty appealing. I could also then play top games on Mac without issues, or Linux, and avoid Windows. That also is very appealing. It might’ve been the only Microsoft product that I would actually “like” and not just “tolerate” - if not for latency.
First: Latency is a big issue. Even on single player games some people (as I am) are very sensitive to input latency. You cannot fight physics. It takes time for electrons to be turned into frames and sent to other parts of country and/or world and come back.
Second: Gaming on touch screens is horrendous.

First: Latency is a big issue. Even on single player games some people (as I am) are very sensitive to input latency. You cannot fight physics. It takes time for electrons to be turned into frames and sent to other parts of country and/or world and come back.
First, I acknowledged that issue. It’s an entire paragraph in that thing you just quoted.
Second: Gaming on touch screens is horrendous.
Second, you must not know what a Backbone is. Which is mentioned directly in the same sentence as the word “phone”.

Why respond if you’re not even going to read the post?

That's perfect for those who are going to invset in it. But inherently most won't and you'll end up with a vast advantage over 99% of the other mobile players. That's not how I like to win.
How do you win vs someone else in CP2077?

And secondly, the context here is playing on Microsoft Cloud services for full blown PC games. So if you’re going to play competitive counter-strike (or Valorant or Apex, or whatever new school kids are playing these days), you’ll be the one at a disadvantage, because they’ll all be using keyboard/mice. If your whole argument here is predicated on whether you have an advantage or not, you can enjoy swimming upstream vs people with superior input devices to you.

Last edited:
Plenty of profit potential, but not enough customers interested in it. You gotta convince customers that the lag doesn't exist, and that the blur they see is just petroleum jelly on their screen.

The actual profit is most likely still disappointing vs the profit gained from other investments

I have no doubt it can be done, but more likely it'll be when gpu's are something like 50x faster so that there's enough horsepower for 50 vms with enough GPU to go around on 1 host

Cloud gaming works really damn well on Steam Deck to play Xbox store games. People still saying it sucks, have you actually used it lately?
I was a huge detractor on cloud gaming, and it seems pretty well up to snuff for this use case at least. Am i playing shooters/twitch games online? Of course not. But Starfield while camping over Starlink on the Deck works pretty nice with Cloud Streaming. Don't even notice its not local.

Cloud gaming works really damn well on Steam Deck to play Xbox store games. People still saying it sucks, have you actually used it lately?
I was a huge detractor on cloud gaming, and it seems pretty well up to snuff for this use case at least. Am i playing shooters/twitch games online? Of course not. But Starfield while camping over Starlink on the Deck works pretty nice with Cloud Streaming. Don't even notice its not local.

It definitely has its place

GeForce Now is free if anyone wants to try (waiting in que though sucks) and you play your own Steam games

Your own internet/home networking does come into play so make sure that's up to snuff first

Any type of non-competitive game, even if multiplayer, co-op, single player - it can work well for. Wouldn't use it for twitch shooters, fighting games, or hack and slash games.

Meanwhile, over in the FSR 3 thread, they are impressed that it is bringing local latency down from 80ms to 50ms, for games running on high-end PCs, while those same latency numbers from an online streaming system are somehow unplayable because that latency is too high.

Meanwhile, over in the FSR 3 thread, they are impressed that it is bringing local latency down from 80ms to 50ms, for games running on high-end PCs, while those same latency numbers from an online streaming system are somehow unplayable because that latency is too high.

Well, it is an improvement. Not that it matters much for quality gaming at the moment.

Well, it is an improvement. Not that it matters much for quality gaming at the moment.
“Quality” is subjective, if you enjoy the time you spent on it then it’s quality gaming time.

I’m trying to be more positive with my outlook on things, but anything that improves the experience for people on the bottom floor then I am all for.
Nobody spends $$$ to want to play on potato mode so they can buy the latest and greatest game to make it look like it was made for a PS2.

If you improve the foundation then it makes things better for everybody. I think FSR3 does a lot for that.

If you guys watched the Quest 3 event one of the things they showed off was playing Xbox on a giant virtual screen in mixed reality.

Back