Microsoft Anti-piracy Move Irks China Official

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy cow this is funny! It seems a top Chinese copyright official is upset with Microsoft for launching "Windows Genuine Advantage" in China last week. There are people even trying to sue / fine Microsoft because they are upset that their pirated version of Windows has reduced functionality.

Methods to subvert the program were circulated on Chinese blogs and Internet chat-rooms within days of its launch. Dong Zhengwei, a Beijing lawyer, said Microsoft was abusing its market power and had filed a complaint to China's trade watchdog, the State Administration for Industry and Commerce, the China Daily said in separate report. "Microsoft should be fined $1 billion," the paper quoted the lawyer as saying.

Unfortunately, this sort of shit is par for the course in China.
Granted, Micro$chlock is no fave of mine but experience has shown that corruption and theft isn't an anomaly over there. It's an accepted way of life.

As such, of COURSE someone is calling for Microsoft to be fined for a billion bucks. Because Microsoft is a "big, fat, dumb American company" with bottomless pockets, and why shouldn't the Chinese extort it out of them instead of going to the trouble of stealing Microsoft's trade secrets and manufacturing a clone?

Yes, Microsoft is all of those things. But if they want to sell their software the way they do, that's THEIR prerogative. If the Chinese pira^H^H^user community doesn't like that MOVE TO FSCKING LINUX FOR BOB'S SAKE!

As an American W's user, I am only upset that MS has waitied this long to force WGA upon users in other regions. Everythiong aftwer that is just so much comic relief.

Welcome to my world you commie thiefs, you!

"The company adopted unified prices in the past without considering the income gap between developed and developing countries, so we need to kindly remind them that Chinese customers' affordability should be considered."

Should I sue Apple because I want a Mac Pro to be cheaper? What's kind about suing for $1 Billion.

no sympathy for either side

MS should have enabled it from the start, as opose to "allow" piracy to get them hooked, likewise there are some ppl in China that went and bought what they thought was a legit copy only to now find out they were sold a pirate copy - the sellers should be targeted (IE a china issue)

China should have clamped down alot sooner! they have had it easy in ripping things off for too long WHILE also wanting to make money

There is not a person in China who thought they were getting a "legit" copy. Sorry, a bootleg from a guy that is also selling fried duck is not "legit."

I just laugh everytime I read about this. Getting mad because their illegal software doesn't work the same anymore. Oh Boohoo. Cry me a river you pirates.

oh SNAP! Regardless of who shoulda done what, asking to fine MS for catching them using pirated software is so bass-ackwards that it provides pure comedy for the rest of us.

Chinese people are amazingly more ignorant than American people. I made a sweeping assumption, now to see if I'm right...

I wonder how many game they pirate? Yet as a PC gamer I'm the one being accused of stealing all these games - I'm the one who has to deal with this DRM shit. How shocked would I be if the DRM is turned off for the versions sold in china?

MS made the decision to turn off the windows protection BS in order to get get their product into circulation and in use. Otherwise they would have continued to use XP. IT will be interesting to see how long it is before they (MS) cave.

What would the world be like without China? Over here in America we dont pirate software.

Heh, this article is full of lols. I love it how people demand everything.

Shit, I want some of you guys to join me on my class action lawsuit against Lamborghini.... I want them to lower the price to the price of a honda civic because my income gap is not that high.

This really pisses me off. It isn't that almost all of them are pirates, but what really gets me is they have the nerve to complain about something that is merely a 'nag' and yet still lets them use windows at all. On top of that you got that one idiot, who by their standards qualifies as a lawyer, who says they need to fine Microsoft $1 BILLION dollars to teach them that everything should be cheaper in China. If everything is suppose to be 1 / 100,000th of our price shouldn't the amount he's suing for be more reasonable, say, 5 dollars?

again why have MS only now enabled WGA

Only you would stand against MS on this.

How about this answer: it's their product and they can do whatever they feel like doing with it? WGA isn't one big secret. Everyone knows about it.

Suddenly Microsoft turns it on, and whoa Nelly, the massive outcries in China can only mean one thing: everyone noticed. Why? Because everyone's got a pirated copy of Vista.

Now if the Chinese were law abiding people, WGA would only piss off a small handful of people who got prompted with having limited functionality, but no.. even their lawyers screamed bloody murder. I mean, wow, a bunch of thieves these people.

The Chinese hypocrites should STFU and go drink a gallon of tainted milk and choke on it

Good for windows they actually have a way to protect their patents and copyrights. If only there was a way to do this with everything else. Chinese companies (government) has absolutely no respect for patents or copyright. The fastest way to get an illegal clone of your goods on the market, be in manufactured goods or software, is to have any part of it made in China. The really funny thing is people seem to think it's just a few Chinese businessmen doing this illegally when in fact it's the Chinese govt itself. You don't own anything but the odd corner fruit stand unless you are a well placed communist party member or a close relative of a communist party member.

Only you would stand against MS on this.

How about this answer: it's their product and they can do whatever they feel like doing with it? WGA isn't one big secret. Everyone knows about it.

Suddenly Microsoft turns it on, and whoa Nelly, the massive outcries in China can only mean one thing: everyone noticed. Why? Because everyone's got a pirated copy of Vista.

Now if the Chinese were law abiding people, WGA would only piss off a small handful of people who got prompted with having limited functionality, but no.. even their lawyers screamed bloody murder. I mean, wow, a bunch of thieves these people.

And again you missed what I stated... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Again with your blinkers

I am for MS (and anyone else) protecting their IPR, I am however find it quite hypocritical that they have allowed it to get to this level (by not enabling WGA until now)

China cannot have their cake and eat it AND they have gotton away with rampant pirating of everything (hardware,software,drugs, anything just to get a production base), but then again MS could have reduced the total IF they actually applied WGA from the start

so how abt getting that stick out of yr arse and stop applying preconceptions

For all the people bitching about how China does things, they are doing they same exact thing about how Americans do things. Two different worlds, almost. I mean, what is right and what is wrong? That's something you learn from the society you grow up in. Your subconscious and your perception of reality is built upon what experiences you have when you're growing up. You'd be surprised how Christian values have affected American (or rather, Western) society to the point where it affects ideas of right and wrong --- even for the most hardcore atheists. You have to keep in mind Asian countries don't come from this background and thus their perceptions of right and wrong are different.

Not condoning the Chinese people's actions though. They should be paying for legit copies, though they should be at lowered prices, and possibly have less applications to come with their copies. And I agree that WGA should have been implemented from the start, it would have let them know there was something wrong with their copies. Though if it was available in the start, all that would have happened would be that copies would be sold with cracks -- which is exactly what happens with other software they sell. I've visited a software store in China where their "catalog" of game software came complete with printed NFO files of various warez releases and Chinese instructions on how to install the included cracks.

Unfortunately this isn't only the case in China but also in many other third world countries. I mean compared to a first world country they have a tougher life, it's only natural for them to want a piece of the first world country pie without giving up any money. What pisses me off most is when money-making profitable businesses in these countries use bootlegged stuff.

For all the people bitching about how China does things, they are doing they same exact thing about how Americans do things. Two different worlds, almost. I mean, what is right and what is wrong? That's something you learn from the society you grow up in. Your subconscious and your perception of reality is built upon what experiences you have when you're growing up. You'd be surprised how Christian values have affected American (or rather, Western) society to the point where it affects ideas of right and wrong --- even for the most hardcore atheists. You have to keep in mind Asian countries don't come from this background and thus their perceptions of right and wrong are different.

Uh, wat.

If the Chinese government condones piracy, more power to them. But to sue M$ and claim a US$1 billion is ridiculous, bordering on lunacy. Yet one more reason why China is still way backward, in spite of the Olympics and all.

Uh, wat.

If the Chinese government condones piracy, more power to them. But to sue M$ and claim a US$1 billion is ridiculous, bordering on lunacy. Yet one more reason why China is still way backward, in spite of the Olympics and all.

exactly! if China do take such a case to the WTO to sue for damages, then I expect a counter-suit from MS for the rampant amount of pirate copies in the wild

who would win? neither are my thoughts

Get back to me and rub that in my face when that guy wins the lawsuit, which he won't (assuming he actually follows through with it). It was just some random lawyer and not someone representing the government. And if you think that guy is a dumbass (which he is), think about all the other dumbasses you've met in America, or anywhere else you've traveled in the world. The fact is, is that dumb people are everywhere :)

But anyway these quotes are specifically chosen because this is exactly what the American people want to hear -- about how dumb or ridiculous China is. A language reflects a people's culture heavily and since the two languages in question (Mandarin and English) are so different and the two cultures so different, there are MANY liberal translations that are derived from the Chinese quotes out there -- a lot of which are twisted in a way to make Chinese people sound like drones for a hardline Commie government.

There's a damn good reason why the Bible has like 50 million translations, that's because the underlying way of thinking and the cultural differences in the language are so huge that some things can't be translated directly. It's arguable that for Mandarin, the distance is even greater than that of Hebrew.

But anyhow, it's not like Chinese newspapers don't do the same. Their articles make American lawyers look stupid too. It's just a lack of understanding and a lack of a desire of understanding cultural differences. If you've ever traveled around the world and asked people what their opinions were of American Republicans, they'd say the same exact crap about how fundamentalist/crazy/lunatic-like they are -- and I'd say it's true because their perspective of the world is limited to what they know as American. The whole BS "America is GOOD, anybody who disagrees with us is EVIL" crap. It's that same exact logic which drives terrorists to blow sh!t up in the name of Allah.

... the article says it turns their desktop black.................. and they're that pissed???

What would the world be like without China? Over here in America we dont pirate software.

For all the people bitching about how China does things, they are doing they same exact thing about how Americans do things..........

huge diff, i think piracy in china is like %95+ piracy in the U.S is barely %50.....and the Chinese government does nothing to stop it. At least in the U.S MS sue's people they can catch... cant wait to see if they do that in China

China pirates things and systematically steals IP? I am shocked, shocked to learn this I tell you.

huge diff, i think piracy in china is like %95+ piracy in the U.S is barely %50.....and the Chinese government does nothing to stop it. At least in the U.S MS sue's people they can catch... cant wait to see if they do that in China

You're missing the point. In China (and actually, many third-world countries), the perception relating to ethical concerns of money/products is completely different than what is seen in America. Even in Western Europe, this perception is different.

I'm just saying that there's many things that Chinese people and people from other foreign countries point out about America that they feel is completely wrong. One example that is common is the perception that many Americans are very promiscuous, and in their views that absolutely disgusting.

Just take a step back and realize how much stupid crap happens in your own country. I mean, in America we have dumbass lawyers like Jack Thompson, we have people suing McDonalds for common sense crap like hot coffee, I mean FREAK just look at our stupid current president. There's a lot of dumb crap in China too and they really need to get their heads straight and realize how dumb things get there. But it's not limited to any country, it's everywhere.

It's easy to point fingers at a distant land with a different culture like China (and for them, to point fingers at the U.S.). It's hard to take a look at yourself and your own country and realize how dumb things are where you live to. STUPIDITY IS INEVITABLE!

I hope Microsoft Counter sues and wins. I want to see the nation of copy crap goods shrivel and roll over. :) That way, maybe the cost of electronics here will drop a bit. :)

You're missing the point. In China (and actually, many third-world countries), the perception relating to ethical concerns of money/products is completely different than what is seen in America. Even in Western Europe, this perception is different.

I'm just saying that there's many things that Chinese people and people from other foreign countries point out about America that they feel is completely wrong. One example that is common is the perception that many Americans are very promiscuous, and in their views that absolutely disgusting.

Just take a step back and realize how much stupid crap happens in your own country. I mean, in America we have dumbass lawyers like Jack Thompson, we have people suing McDonalds for common sense crap like hot coffee, I mean FREAK just look at our stupid current president. There's a lot of dumb crap in China too and they really need to get their heads straight and realize how dumb things get there. But it's not limited to any country, it's everywhere.

It's easy to point fingers at a distant land with a different culture like China (and for them, to point fingers at the U.S.). It's hard to take a look at yourself and your own country and realize how dumb things are where you live to. STUPIDITY IS INEVITABLE!

No, we get the point - stupidity is prevalent.. but how is this relevant to this article?

China's stealing stuff. Someone's trying to put a stop to it. I agree that some lawsuits are silly, but this is not one of them. This is Microsoft genuinely trying to stop people from stealing their products. Why are you lumping this in with human stupidity?

I'll like to see that statistic, because 95%+ is ridiculous!

And well said, mastertard.
The more I travel, the more I find it difficult to defend some of our actions.

If you are pirating IP, and the owner of said IP decides to throw a wrench in your unauthorized use of said IP, too bad. If China has not figured out that software piracy is unacceptable to IP holders, then here is their wake up call.

If China wants to be a respected trade partner, it is time they embraced respectability, in this matter and many others.

I'm willing to bet that if the WTO gets involved then Microsoft is going to loose, which since Chinese commerce/production is being effected I bet they will.

#1 rule of the WTO if anything, environmental or ethics laws effect the flow of trade, then they are unlawful.

Anyone wanna take me up on that?

Why doesnt Micrsoft just make the illegal copies not work at all, Just nothing, nada, zippo, I could care less what they think why should i have to work hard and they think they are entitled to steal. Im sorry but for everyone using Bogus copies here in the States or Abroad Phuk Em.

95% or more of Microsoft's software is a pirated copy in China. Even if Windows or Office only costed them 10RMB they would still pirate it.

Even major corporations in China (ie. ChinaMobile, Sinopec, etc) all run pirated copies of Microsoft products throughout their offices.

And the Chinese government can't really do anything about it.

Hell they probably even think that Microsoft's WGA attempt is a threat to their national security. (and rightfully so since it could possibly reduce functionality on government workstations, but its their own fault).

Basically what I am saying is....Microsoft should just give up on China.

I'm willing to bet that if the WTO gets involved then Microsoft is going to loose, which since Chinese commerce/production is being effected I bet they will.

#1 rule of the WTO if anything, environmental or ethics laws effect the flow of trade, then they are unlawful.

Anyone wanna take me up on that?

If that be the case and MS looses than they should do what they should have in the EU with that whole XP fiasco. Stop fucking selling products to countries that don't want to pay for it. No more updates for china, then pay hackers to make disastrous viruses that attack known flaws and delete the hard drive. :p

Ok, unrealistic, but would be funny to see happen :cool:

I'd love to see someone from China post their thoughts about this issue here...

Oh yeah, they can't.

Back