Microsoft Announces Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Microsoft has revealed that Windows 10’s next major update will be released next month. Previously codenamed Redstone 5, the Windows 10 October 2018 Update will bring many new features and improvements that include a dark theme for File Explorer, Android and iPhone integration via the “Your Phone” app, an updated Notepad, and Edge browser enhancements.

I’m pleased to announce that our next feature update to Windows will be called the Windows 10 October 2018 Update. With this update, we’ll be bringing new features and enhancements to the nearly 700 million devices running Windows 10 that help people make the most of their time. We’ll share more details about the update over the coming weeks.

There's a lot in that long list that actually seems useful outside of the normal "we're still moving things around in settings" changes.

Windows Calculator now correctly calculates square roots for perfect squares.

Really, they still haven't got the calculator fully flushed out? I remember in the Insider Preview 3 years ago a bunch of mathing errors were posted to the bug-feedback. You literally could not trust the calculator because it didn't follow certain math rules.

They could test this automatically if they wanted to, it's math.

Really, they still haven't got the calculator fully flushed out? I remember in the Insider Preview 3 years ago a bunch of mathing errors were posted to the bug-feedback. You literally could not trust the calculator because it didn't follow certain math rules.

This explains why those errors popped up: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20160628-00/?p=93765

This is the followup that briefly mentions the fix and that it also works for cube roots: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20180704-00/?p=99165

Oh thank god, all my third party data privacy tools and telemetry blocks will be erased, all my settings and default program handlers back to MS defaults, all the candy crush and bubble witch and phone apps reinstalled, Cortana turned back on and Edge my default browser again - and hopefully it screws up my printers again and multuple GPUs again like 1803.

And best of all, the whole thing's really just a full reinstall masquerading as an "update". MS used to delta update in the service pack days, but realized they can play dumb and reinforce their defaults with a full install, that may or may not honor your existing programs and settings - flip a coin!

Last edited:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20160628-00/?p=93765

"Try this: Fire up the Windows calculator and ask it to compute √4 − 2. The answer is not zero. It's −1.068281969439142e−19"

I suck because I just get the square root of 2 every time. I can't figure out how to put all this in as one string or whatever it's called in math.

Whatever though, screw all this crap, we're finally getting black Windows Explorer.

There's a lot in that long list that actually seems useful outside of the normal "we're still moving things around in settings" changes.

How do you mess up a basic calculator app?

So this will be like reinstalling windows right? And this update might open up more security vulnerabilities. More useless toys to add to your OS and create more downtime. Glad I don't have to deal with this crap.

Oh wonderfull and more intergated store BS as well I'm sure. I never use the stupid store.

Great news for repair shops. Every major update would fill the benches at the shop I worked at for weeks.

Oh I know right. MS needs to stop force crappy junk installs from store even when you do not ask for them.

One of my computers is still stuck on 1709, after trying about 9 times to upgrade to 1803. Rolls back every time, despite me trying all kinds of things to figure out why. Everything works great despite that though so zero motivation to do a fresh install or anything like that, and so I've just stuck with 1709, waiting to see if simply skipping 1803 might work. It will be interesting to see if i'm able to upgrade to this.

This about sums up MSs attention to things that matter.
Unbelievable. I cant damn them enough.

Oh thank god, all my third party data privacy tools and telemetry blocks will be erased, all my settings and default program handlers back to MS defaults, all the candy crush and bubble witch and phone apps reinstalled, Cortana turned back on and Edge my default browser again - and hopefully it screws up my printers again and multuple GPUs again like 1803.

And best of all, the whole thing's really just a full reinstall masquerading as an "update". MS used to delta update in the service pack days, but realized they can play dumb and reinforce their defaults with a full install, that may or may not honor your existing programs and settings - flip a coin!
Bill them for the time it takes to put your system back in shape.
They might learn something.

This nails it on the head. All of your files (tax records, documents, pictures, you name it), history, activity, basically any and every metric of data that can be conceivably mined is Microsoft's for the taking to keep, sell and profit from, and share with government and law enforcement agencies "at Microsoft's discretion". You can only turn off so much, and it's been proven even when you turn off certain telemetry features it STILL mines that data and sends it back to Microsoft servers. As DPI pointed out, every new milestone update as well as incremental patches are rife with "undocumented changes" that break & reset previous efforts from users and third party tools to stop data mining. The bottom line is, so long as the TOS and user agreement allow the blanket collection of ALL of your data Microsoft will always find a way / never stop collecting it. It's FAR too profitable a business practice.

This is NOT ok and Microsoft's data collection is VASTLY more intrusive than Apple or Google (both of whom I have plenty of criticism for as well).

MicrosoftNSA.jpg

I guess I've been lucky and never had any of these problems. I removed the store apps way back in 160x and they've never come back, my network adapters are fine, laptop resumes from sleep without issue. No complaints at work either.

Bill Says "Don't like it? Don't install free software and cry about it"

So nobody has actually bought Windows 10 ? That is simply false. If you pay money for Windows 10 you get updates forced on you just the same as if you did the free upgrade.

Well now I’m vindicated for uninstalling the damn windows calculator. Everyone thought I was crazy for removing it, now it turns out it was complete shit!

One of my computers is still stuck on 1709, after trying about 9 times to upgrade to 1803. Rolls back every time, despite me trying all kinds of things to figure out why. Everything works great despite that though so zero motivation to do a fresh install or anything like that, and so I've just stuck with 1709, waiting to see if simply skipping 1803 might work. It will be interesting to see if i'm able to upgrade to this.
Did you update your bios to the latest version?

I usually have to deal with reset security setting in IE (still have to use it for one application), printers disappearing and Software (Like Office) needing to be reactivated. Problems are random as some users have no problems, while another user with exactly the same laptop, built form the same image, will have multiple problems.

Yeah great.. going to be another fresh install just to fix the update :/
I haven't been able to update my Win 10 for months because it kept failing. Finally I had to completely disable Windows updates. Great job there MS. (And I'm not about to reinstall everything again, losing basically a day to get things right)
Something, something, firing the entire QC department.

Here's to hoping the October update doesn't reset 802.1x settings again.
If they get that one right, I would call it a win.

Well fuck. 2 updates a year is too many when they can't even get one right. v1703 caused some issues for clients, friends and family, v1709 caused less problems but still had some, versions before had their issues, but v1803 was a real gawd-damn pain in the ass. Only systems with v1803 that ran without issues were systems where I did fresh installs using v1803. I've kept it off the systems of family and most clients. I'm not even gonna concern myself with the October 2018 update for a while. Plus most of these major Win10 updates reset privacy settings and a few other Win10 settings, shit in gpedit, and shit in services.msc. So every time I update a system to a new version of Win10 from a previous version, I have to run through my entire checklist that I use for fresh installs of Win10. So yeah it's gonna be a while before I get around to using the October 2018 update. Definitely need to get some good testing time in with it. By then the Spring 2019 update will be around the corner. We're still reeling from v1803, I don't feel like fucking with another potential annoying Win10 update any damn time soon. Well, hopefully this one turns out a lot better than v1803 did. After all, v1709 was an improvement over v1703 (at least in my experience, not so much for others).

I usually have to deal with reset security setting in IE (still have to use it for one application), printers disappearing and Software (Like Office) needing to be reactivated. Problems are random as some users have no problems, while another user with exactly the same laptop, built form the same image, will have multiple problems.

yep, we see that with every update here. More billable hours for us.. LOL

Desktop? If so, physically remove the wireless card and try again .

Back