Microsoft Announces Windows 10 October 2018 Update

As I'm the only IT person (small company) it just means more work for me :mad:

We have a few of us at my company but it still sucks to do, we have to update our security software before hand or it blows up the update, We have now decided to get all of our win10 to 1803 and then go to a yearly update on the big updates. Its too much for 150+ PCs

i love this time of year, this is going to be entertaining

Attachments

• MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif
    MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif
    567.7 KB · Views: 0
system updated to ip 17751(1809) last night, still no probs but the watermark is gone for now...

As I'm the only IT person (small company) it just means more work for me :mad:

Just do what I have presented to my management team and only do these once a year. Skip one of the updates since there is no point to constantly upgrade twice a year, especially if you are a one man shop.

I'm on the Insider Fast Ring. I've had no issues.

I've got a PC on fast ring, and a couple on skip ahead. No issues at all on any machine (outside of the 'known issues' in the build notes, which I rarely encounter anyway).

This is a nice build, but I'm sure when it's let out into the general public, there will be some issues. There always are... Which is odd with a ton of people being part of the insider group.

I've got a PC on fast ring, and a couple on skip ahead. No issues at all on any machine (outside of the 'known issues' in the build notes, which I rarely encounter anyway).

This is a nice build, but I'm sure when it's let out into the general public, there will be some issues. There always are... Which is odd with a ton of people being part of the insider group.
ms cant account the almost infinite possible config variables...

My eyes glazed over about 2/3's or so of the way down the list when it dawned on me not a single thing was for desktop users or improving the desktop experience in the least. If this update doesn't prove beyond doubt that Win 10 was made for tablets, abandoning traditional desktops and laptops I don't know what does. You know what..I believe it may be time to convert my few win 10 laptops to linux this weekend. I don't do anything specific on them that I need windows for anyhow.

ms cant account the almost infinite possible config variables...

True. But, with so many insiders, they should get a good amount of configs. And, the issues usually are fairly widespread and should have been evident during testing. Like the missing network adapter. It wasn't some specific config. It was a lot of people.

Plus, a few Windows updates have caused issues. It's causing issues with Microsoft's reputation for quality. Of course, that's just from the viewpoint of several forums... where people go to bitch about problems and very few go to praise.

Outside of the fact that the big updates taking fucking forever, even on nvme SSDs, can't say I've ever had any problems updating Windows 10 across a decent amount of unique hardware. I've run into more problems installing service packs for older versions of Windows (especially XP and Vista) than I've had with Win10 updates.

Back