Microsoft announces Windows 10 for late 2015

I feel like 10 will eventually be the next OS I am literally going to be forced to use again, just as with all other versions. Reminds me of Vista all over again. An OS I hated but had to use regardless.

Isn't there some kind of way you can allow Windows applications/games to be run on a Linux type OS and port over DXxx APIs and all the other windows necessities?

I hate when as a consumer my ability to tell a company that makes products I dislike to f' off is non existent. And the Mac OS is NOT an option for me. PC master race!!!

I feel like 10 will eventually be the next OS I am literally going to be forced to use again, just as with all other versions. Reminds me of Vista all over again. An OS I hated but had to use regardless.

Isn't there some kind of way you can allow Windows applications/games to be run on a Linux type OS and port over DXxx APIs and all the other windows necessities?

I hate when as a consumer my ability to tell a company that makes products I dislike to f' off is non existent. And the Mac OS is NOT an option for me. PC master race!!!

Linux with WINE. A lot of things work just fine. Steam is on Linux with a good selection of games. It's always a decent alternative. Also - you could run Linux for most stuff, then a VM (or dual boot) for Windows games and applications that you must have.

The Continuum concept is very interesting. Not in that it's a new idea but in that they are actually trying to build some device capability detection that will configure a device on the fly. While the idea is obvious, there simply isn't any large scale production implementation of it anywhere. There is the Ubuntu Edge concept, but where is that these days? If Windows 10 is to be successful, getting this to work well will be significant.

It's interesting, but I think you're making too much of its importance to this presentation.

Considering that they spent a lot of time emphasizing the desktop at this event, I think they did in this case.

Disagreed. Think about what they showed: a series of in-progress features with heavy disclaimers before and during the live demo, at an event that curiously invited consumer-oriented tech press for a demo of enterprise targeted features (no one cares about copy-paste keyboard commands in the CLI.) The entire event lacked focus.

It's interesting, but I think you're making too much of its importance to this presentation.

They spent a good amount of time talking about it in the presentation and it is key feature to make Windows x86 hybrids and convertibles work well as dual purpose devices. Something that does have some resonance in the enterprise.

Disagreed. Think about what they showed: a series of in-progress features with heavy disclaimers before and during the live demo, at an event that curiously invited consumer-oriented tech press for a demo of enterprise targeted features (no one cares about copy-paste keyboard commands in the CLI.) The entire event lacked focus.

I did think about what they showed, and it was very much about the desktop environment that works with a keyboard and mouse. The #1 issue that has come up since day one with Windows 8 in the enterprise is retraining costs. That's without question been vastly mitigated with even this early build.

As far as the CLI update, as minor as it is and even Microsoft said as much yesterday, it seems to have generated a decent amount of buzz. It is something, little as it is, comes in handy with a lot of enterprise technical folks that do have to do things at the CLI level much more often than consumer users.

In case anyone has Broadcom Bluetooth drivers installed - get rid of the Bluetooth tray application ASAP. After the upgrade ot Windows 10, it completely disabled input in many apps & freezed them (IE, Chrome, even the Windows Feedback app). Killing the tray app unfreezed all apps and everything works fine. Bad, bad Broadcom :).

so I went to download the Technical Preview...I don't get it...I thought they would offer an iso but it seems they want to install some 4.6MB exe file...what is this?

EDIT: never mind...found the iso option underneath the main link

What do you want them to do?

Bring back Aero, at least on desktops. I can understand the flat look on phones and tablets that have limited resources, but my 3 year old desktop has power to burn. Not to mention the current flat look sucks. I know, to each their own but plenty of people agree with this.

It is unlikely that 11.3 and 12 will be 10-only.

What makes you think that?

Bring back Aero, at least on desktops. I can understand the flat look on phones and tablets that have limited resources, but my 3 year old desktop has power to burn. Not to mention the current flat look sucks. I know, to each their own but plenty of people agree with this.

None of what you said had anything to do with the post he was quoting.

so I went to download the Technical Preview...I don't get it...I thought they would offer an iso but it seems they want to install some 4.6MB exe file...what is this?

EDIT: never mind...found the iso option underneath the main link

Is the technical preview the same as the beta release? If not, is there a ISO of beta release?

==================

I don't understand after all these years, microsoft still can't come up w/ a OS that recognize voice command.

The menu was nice. The tiles to the right are removable. I will always hate the flat look. I did test the multiple desktops briefly. Although I had a lot of trouble with my samba classic domain. The win10 box frequently could not find the PDC and with lots of "no domain controlers are available" when the other machines on the network had no problems accessing the PDC. I hope this is not the end of using samba3 domains since at work I am basically not permitted to use active directory since I can not install DNS servers on the company network.

Ugh that's the only thing stopping me from trying it out. I really despise the flat look. I thought we moved past this decades ago. Sure it looks clean in a way, but with all this horsepower if you had a half-decent PC Aero was never a problem in the first place. The only problem with it was the underselling of system specs in Windows Vista.

I really want to know what "artistic" genius came up with the Windows 8 look. I think that turned me off more than anything. Never knowing what you could click or couldn't because buttons didn't even giving a shadow was idiotic.

Microsoft transitioned away from Aero not because it wasn't performant enough but because it was cheesy and dated. If "cheesy and dated" is acceptable, then so should Windows 7 be.

Microsoft transitioned away from Aero not because it wasn't performant enough but because it was cheesy and dated. If "cheesy and dated" is acceptable, then so should Windows 7 be.
I think part of it was to lower power consumption since MS was on a OMG TABLETS acid trip. But really, lowering power consumption in Windows 8 was a major goal. Too bad MS didn't leave it as an option since not every device is a tablet. (It's only a matter of time before the constantly money losing Surface product line goes the way of Zune.)

Every single modern OS (mobile or not) is moving towards a flat look. Have people taken a look at Yosemite, iOS 7/8, Android L (going back to ICS) lately?

Why people keep expecting Aero and non-flat design of Windows 7 back is beyond me. It's never going to happen no matter how much you want it. Because designers have all seemingly agreed on the new look, no matter which company they work for. And also apparently on blinding white everywhere :mad:

Is the technical preview the same as the beta release? If not, is there a ISO of beta release?

==================

I don't understand after all these years, microsoft still can't come up w/ a OS that recognize voice command.

Yes, there is an ISO - http://preview.windows.com

Voice commands may be included in the RTM using Cortana (in Windows Phone currently, and pretty bad ass).

Of course, if you want to make a suggestion for the Windows OS (adding a feature, etc., not direct feedback/bugs), check out https://windows.uservoice.com. Windows Feature Suggestion Box.

I've never heard anyone refer to Aero as cheesy or dated outside of Microsoft journalists and even people working with Microsoft themselves. Windows XP on the other hand was cheesy from the start. I guess I don't see the big need to constantly do facelifts. I blame websites that purposely revamp them every 6-12 months to make it feel "new".

Agreed. One of the main reasons I still use Windows 7 is because of Aero. Obviously the transparency effects are not for everyone but Windows 10 should at least give us a choice.

Why must every UI be flat and brightly colored these days? And where did all of the drop shadows go?

Integrating Cortana into Windows would be huge. Why didn't they do that? That would be the killer feature to get me excited.

Being able to launch programs via voice could be very useful.

Agreed. One of the main reasons I still use Windows 7 is because of Aero. Obviously the transparency effects are not for everyone but Windows 10 should at least give us a choice.

Why must every UI be flat and brightly colored these days? And where did all of the drop shadows go?

I guess it boils down to the KISS principle. We shouldn't write more code than necessary to accomplish the task, so why add UI adornments to every application when those adornments have little to do with why we use computers in the first place?

My work laptop is running 7, all of my personal machines are on 8.1 and a couple on 10 TP now. Aero is pretty, but after five years of looking at it and using 8.1 devices, I just don't miss anything.

I've been using the Windows Feedback, it's pretty cool to see what people are thinking and what's getting attention. Aero does seem to get a lot of mention, for better or for worse it is something that has a fan base with quite a few hardcore Windows folks. The UI and aesthetics that we see in this 10 build are going to change pretty substantially. I doubt we're going to see a return of Aero but I do expect more transparency and shadowing. There's some new shadowing in this build that's ok, looks a little off in some places but does a pretty get job with adding depth to window stacks.

Integrating Cortana into Windows would be huge. Why didn't they do that? That would be the killer feature to get me excited.

Being able to launch programs via voice could be very useful.

They are going to do that, Cortana is going to be part of the Windows 10 core that's device agnostic and that's what search button is in the task bar is about. And there's tons or resources added to this build to support Cortana. http://www.neowin.net/news/cortana-will-soon-be-able-to-track-your-packages

Ok, so what is the point of the "WindowsTechnicalPreview" exe file they have for download?

Ok, so what is the point of the "WindowsTechnicalPreview" exe file they have for download?

The exe file configures your Windows for the Windows Technical Preview Windows Update site, which after reboot gives you the Windows Technical Preview Upgrade in the Windows Update dialog.

The ISO is for direct install.

Every single modern OS (mobile or not) is moving towards a flat look. Have people taken a look at Yosemite, iOS 7/8, Android L (going back to ICS) lately?

Why people keep expecting Aero and non-flat design of Windows 7 back is beyond me. It's never going to happen no matter how much you want it. Because designers have all seemingly agreed on the new look, no matter which company they work for. And also apparently on blinding white everywhere :mad:

Flat look is fine when done right. Trouble is Metro with its ugly mono colored tiles is not flat done right.

Flat is not an excuse for bad design.

I do like windows 10 a hell of alot better than windows 8 , but added the aero glass back would really be the icing on the cake here . . for a modern system it stills looks like im in safe mode at times.

Back