Microsoft announces Windows 10 for late 2015

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Microsoft has revealed its next version of Windows due in late 2015, Windows 10...yes, 10! Not nine, like the number that sequentially follows the last couple of iterations, Windows 7 and 8, but 10...perhaps it's trying to distance itself from Windows 8 as much as it can, given the operating system's less than stellar reception

While Windows 8 tried to use a tablet-like tile-heavy interface on a PC, much to many people's chagrin, Windows 10 will tailor its UI depending on the sort of device it's running on...Windows VP Joe Belfiore demonstrated Windows 10's Start Menu in the following video...it's back to the good old-fashioned toolbar like the day of yore, though we get one of those fancy schmancy tile layouts once you actually click on the Start Menu...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NI5fjTfpQ

Last edited:
Looks like the same old boring Windows interface...:( Is it too hard to change up the GUI without dumbing down the functions.

the tiles look awkward inside the Start Menu but I'll take it over the Metro interface alone...any way of disabling the tiles completely and having the ability to customize the layout like the old Start Menu (Computer, Games, Control Panel etc)

the tiles look awkward inside the Start Menu but I'll take it over the Metro interface alone...any way of disabling the tiles completely and having the ability to customize the layout like the old Start Menu (Computer, Games, Control Panel etc)

This side by side idea in the Start Menu has been floating around on the web since day one. I have a feeling that Microsoft probably thought of this while doing Windows 8 but didn't implement it for whatever reason. My guess is time as much as anything. As long as this is familiar to current Windows users, I think it'll be fine. We've not seen the final version of this, there may be a way to eventually put old style links in it along with tiles, that would be the best of everything.

I know there's a lot of dislike about these tiles but the live functionality is actually pretty cool. It's not like desktop users don't want at a glance information and actually I think something like this works better in the Start Menu than on the desktop as the desktop is generally cover with apps.

I know there's a lot of dislike about these tiles but the live functionality is actually pretty cool. It's not like desktop users don't want at a glance information and actually I think something like this works better in the Start Menu than on the desktop as the desktop is generally cover with apps.

Seeing at a glace if you have any open messages, weather, etc.. is excellent. Don't even have to open the app. Yes, there are gadgets that do similar with other things. But, this is an alternative to that. I love live tiles for that reason. Getting off the full screen start menu for desktop use and still have live tiles? Personally, I think it's an excellent approach. It's the best of both worlds for me.

Plus, Continuum. Damn, that's going to be good stuff (supposedly not in the tech preview, though... damn.).

Is it perfect? Probably not. As time goes on, there will be a better solution, as there always is. I still find it to be perfect for me right now. :D I can't wait to try this out. I have a fresh SSD ready to go for this install!

Is it perfect? Probably not. As time goes on, there will be a better solution, as there always is. I still find it to be perfect for me right now. :D I can't wait to try this out. I have a fresh SSD ready to go for this install!

Sure it won't be perfect and Continuum isn't at all a new idea. But it could be a huge differentiator for Microsoft, and for businesses looking to consolidate platforms and devices its a big step forward in trying to do what obviously Windows 8 failed to do, at least well.

In looking at the address, it's hard to see where Microsoft is missing any big ticket item. You might not like Joe B's hair, but its hard to see where he and Myerson aren't listen. In fact what worries about this go around is that they may be trying to listen too hard and biting off more than they can chew. If they come close to delivering what they are promising this is going to be a huge release.

Sure it won't be perfect and Continuum isn't at all a new idea. But it could be a huge differentiator for Microsoft, and for businesses looking to consolidate platforms and devices its a big step forward in trying to do what obviously Windows 8 failed to do, at least well.

In looking at the address, it's hard to see where Microsoft is missing any big ticket item. You might not like Joe B's hair, but its hard to see where he and Myerson aren't listen. In fact what worries about this go around is that they may be trying to listen too hard and biting off more than they can chew. If they come close to delivering what they are promising this is going to be a huge release.

Not a new idea, but it's new for Windows tablets. :) And something that will make a lot of people happy (myself included). It's going to help drive hybrid adoption, as people can use their devices as a desktop replacement, then take it off and use it as a tablet. It would be a great all-in-one, master of all, devices. If it's done right... Waiting to see how it really performs. It's just the one feature that has me excited!

I didn't care much about his hair. I was just annoyed he was talking and it took so long to get to the actual showing of the OS! :D

I have a feeling they will deliver this next release and they aren't biting off more than they can chew. ;)

Not a new idea, but it's new for Windows tablets. :) And something that will make a lot of people happy (myself included).

It's not a new idea, but it also doesn't exist elsewhere. What platform supports as fully touch, mice, keyboards and pens even well as Windows 8 even does today?

Windows 10 looks fantastic and I can't wait to install it tomorrow. Its so much nicer than OSX which is the same old OS regardless of Apple's 'XXX new features' nonsense each year.

The best part is we don't even know about the real engineering changes but making a single OS that runs everywhere is a huge accomplishment.

An OS that runs on multiple architectures is not a "huge accomplishment". The company you mentioned already did it.

An OS that runs on multiple architectures is not a "huge accomplishment". The company you mentioned already did it.

But an OS that can adapt to different kinds of devices well would be as no one to date has done it successfully to date. This is perhaps the biggest criticism of Windows 8, trying to shove one OS and UI down everyone's throats. If Microsoft can deliver on what it demoed and talked about today, its would be a significant accomplishment and be a unique capability compared to other platforms.

And BTW, Microsoft has been multiple architectures already for sometime as well, long before iDevices or x86 OS X.

Are you referring to Windows CE/Windows Embedded, or are you counting x86 and x86-64 as two architectures?

Are you referring to Windows CE/Windows Embedded, or are you counting x86 and x86-64 as two architectures?

Both of those, Itanium back in the day. They did PowerPC back in the old days, too, IIRC. ARM with Windows RT.

IMO:

the major releases of windows:

Windows #1: 3.1
Windows #2: 95
Windows #3: 98
Windows #4: 2000
Windows #5: XP
Windows #6: Vista
Windows #7:7
Windows #8: 8
Windows #9: 10

this is the same stupid company that named xbox 3 "xbox one"

that's my O

Over a year out. Another year of 8.1.

it's under a year out. it'll be ready for "back to school" season, which thurrott says starts in the summer when school ends

Both of those, Itanium back in the day. They did PowerPC back in the old days, too, IIRC. ARM with Windows RT.
I did forget about Itanium, yes. I think you'd have some difficulty arguing that Windows RT and Windows are the same operating system, however.

MS has ported NT to various architectures over the years.

In the old days they had powerpc, mips and dec alpha ports but these gradually dissapeared with the dec alpha port lasting up to the first RC of win2K but being dropped form the final release.

Then they ported windows to itanium, the itanium port was supposed to be released as a version of win2K but ended up being released as a special prerelease version of 2K3. There was also an itanium version of XP for the desktop side.

Then came x86-64 released initially as a version of 2K3 (which was later branded as "windows XP proffessional x64 edition" for the desktop).

Itanium support was dropped from the desktop after XP/2K3 (as with x86-64 there was a version or 2K3 for the itanium desktop branded as "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, Version 2003") and was droped from the server lineup after 2K8 R2.

They did an arm port for windows 8 but in their greed they locked it down so third party desktop apps could not be used.

That's not what I said. There's a huge difference between architectures and platforms. Win 10 is designed to run and adapt to multiple form factors and input methods, and is componentized like WinCCE and Server 2012, which is a big deal.

They did an arm port for windows 8 but in their greed they locked it down so third party desktop apps could not be used.

There was more to it than greed. First of all, considering that all Windows RT devices are pretty much tablets desktop apps wouldn't really be what mainstream consumers would even want on these devices. Plus I'm wondering who would have even bothered to migrate x86 desktop apps to ARM tablets as ARM desktop apps. It's not like you can't buy get x86 tablets to do that. And Windows x86 tablets are getting pretty cheap these days.

Windows RT is necessary but the OS on a tablet just wasn't and isn't.

That's not what I said. There's a huge difference between architectures and platforms.
Please alert me when you revise your original post to specifically reference platforms -- or specifically reference anything, for that matter. A private message would be fine.

Please alert me when you revise your original post to specifically reference platforms -- or specifically reference anything, for that matter. A private message would be fine.

Nothing for me to revise. I said 'runs everywhere' which you narrowed down to mean 'runs on multiple architectures', and I'm pretty sure anyone who read about Win 10 coverage today would understand I meant multiple platforms/devices.

Anyway, I admit my post was slightly ambiguous.

is this a reminder of Leisure Suit Larry? That Sierra skipped a version. How bad is windows 8 that you have to skip a ver. no.?

Eversince microsoft bought out Nokia, they have been trying to "blend" the experience of windows phone w/ windows OS, so users can have a feel of familiarity, but clearly that didn't work out. You can't kill the start menu, that's down right stupid

B8JoVea.jpg

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Man, I just wish I could have an XP 64-bit Pro clone with just some upgrades to the kernel and include DX11

I despise all of these tile features and the whole idea of a modern UI

Man, I just wish I could have an XP 64-bit Pro clone with just some upgrades to the kernel and include DX11

I despise all of these tile features and the whole idea of a modern UI

They do. It's called Windows 7 with the classic theme....

PS: I do know where you're coming from though. That would be one fast lean machine!

^ I believe DX11.2 is exclusive to 8.1 right now. I had to stick it out with 8.1 :/

.. and as for that theoretical windows 7 x64, one can dream right?

is this a reminder of Leisure Suit Larry? That Sierra skipped a version. How bad is windows 8 that you have to skip a ver. no.?

Eversince microsoft bought out Nokia, they have been trying to "blend" the experience of windows phone w/ windows OS, so users can have a feel of familiarity, but clearly that didn't work out. You can't kill the start menu, that's down right stupid

I dont miss it on win 8.1
I tag my programs so they are all a mouseclick away
faster and more efficient.

Please change the GUI because it still looks like Windows 8 with that butt ugly flat looking Metro UI or whatever its called.

I disagree that they presented anything even remotely interesting. They combined the Windows 7 Start Menu with the Windows 8 Start Screen (even preserving the Start Screen as an option) and built a 40 minute presentation around it.

The skip to Windows 10 is pretty amusing to me; Microsoft has clearly copied Apple over the years, and now they're going so far as to copy the OS X (Roman numeral ten) name.

I couldn't discern a focal point or even a reason for this presentation to have been conducted. They showed off an early build whose headline feature was the return of the Start Menu. They never explained, who, what, when, where, why, or how.

Microsoft doesn't understand the law of first impressions.

Please change the GUI because it still looks like Windows 8 with that butt ugly flat looking Metro UI or whatever its called.

That's not changing. Get used to it.

I disagree that they presented anything even remotely interesting. They combined the Windows 7 Start Menu with the Windows 8 Start Screen (even preserving the Start Screen as an option) and built a 40 minute presentation around it.

The Continuum concept is very interesting. Not in that it's a new idea but in that they are actually trying to build some device capability detection that will configure a device on the fly. While the idea is obvious, there simply isn't any large scale production implementation of it anywhere. There is the Ubuntu Edge concept, but where is that these days? If Windows 10 is to be successful, getting this to work well will be significant.

Microsoft doesn't understand the law of first impressions.

Considering that they spent a lot of time emphasizing the desktop at this event, I think they did in this case.

^ I believe DX11.2 is exclusive to 8.1 right now. I had to stick it out with 8.1 :/

.. and as for that theoretical windows 7 x64, one can dream right?

Features of DX11.2 that required WDDM 1.2 are Windows 8/8.1 only, as Windows 7 has WDDM 1.1. 7 still has the other 11.2 features. But 11.3 and 12 are probably going to be 10 only.

Back