Microsoft Announces New Bing and Edge Browser Powered by Upgraded ChatGPT AI

erek

[H]F Junkie
Interesting

“Another important feature here -- and one that I think we'll see in most of these tools -- is that Bing cites its sources and links to them in a "learn more" section at the end of its answers. Every result will also include a feedback option. It's also worth stressing that the old, link-centric version of Bing isn't going away. You can still use it just like before, but now enhanced with AI. Microsoft stressed that it is using a new version of GPT that is able to provide more relevant answers, annotate these and provide up-to-date results, all while providing a safer user experience. It calls this the Prometheus model.”

Source: https://tech.slashdot.org/story/23/...d-edge-browser-powered-by-upgraded-chatgpt-ai

Oh, Microsoft. The new wave of every tech corp in a frenzy to co-opt and crowbar themselves into the ChatGPT hypewagon is getting a bit.. tedious.

On the other hand I guess it's something for the users who accidentally end up on Bing after clicking on some random Windows UI element.

SmartSelect_20230207_112123_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
With that acquisition price tag, it was not certain but almost that it would be in bing.

I am not sure it would be a good idea to stop trying to make bing happen, maybe it would be a good idea for Microsoft, but for the world ?

Has by far the biggest google competitor;
https://gs.statcounter.com/search-engine-market-share

With is giant 3% market share (that 2.5x yahoos), could some form of competition to google hurt ? And who better placed to do it than them ?

Last edited:
Maybe it will be just for people with Azure account and using their azure credit to run, but what Visual Studio - Visual Code will look like by 2027 (and what programming will look like, will probably be a lot like this video, talking with an AI about all the time and having it actually type downs line, like a even higher version of the senior coder that type just the API headers and let junior fill them):

Not having to go look on stack overflow will be a powerful shortcut and seriously code that manage to use all the gpu-cpu threads available well could get much more common.

Code-software could get suddenly a massive step better.

Maybe it will be just for people with Azure account and using their azure credit to run, but what Visual Studio - Visual Code will look like by 2027 (and what programming will look like, will probably be a lot like this video, talking with an AI about all the time and having it actually type downs line, like a even higher version of the senior coder that type just the API headers and let junior fill them):

Not having to go look on stack overflow will be a powerful shortcut and seriously code that manage to use all the gpu-cpu threads available well could get much more common.

Code-software could get suddenly a massive step better.

Meh.

I can't wait to see someone try to convince ChatGPT to write a payroll system, nor how many ways it could be broken. In sequential incidents.

Not so long ago people were amazed at the idea that one day people would use a compiler instead of having to write code (their idea of using C or basic instead of having to write assembly directly).

So in one way we can see meh, that like compiler were not has magical then some thought has of now, this will not be magic either, but what they allowed people to do versus 70s software is quite something.

I can't wait to see someone try to convince ChatGPT to write a payroll system, nor how many ways it could be broken. In sequential incidents.
It will much smaller step requiring much more precise description at first, but I feel that in even less than say 40 year's, how high level one will be able to describe a program to a computer that will make it will be absolutely ridiculous.

Meh.

https://hardforum.com/threads/ai-bots-that-can-do-school-homework.2023950/post-1045524644
I sort of already did it, after I submitted it to HR and they made some minor tweaks and sent that to the lawyers who made a few more minor adjustments with wording and language they sent that over as their official proposal and I am happy to say it was accepted, ended a 4-month long legal battle 10 years in the making.
I am as I type this feeding it all our field trip requests and bus driver availability to see if we can minimize the number of field trips we need to cancel as the schools overbooked the available resources.

It will much smaller step requiring much more precise description at first, but I feel that in even less than say 40 year's, how high level one will be able to describe a program to a computer that will make it will be absolutely ridiculous.
Surely.

My point was just that a Wordpress plugin is one thing, but there are things that are far, far more complex.

I sort of already did it
Without meaning to trivialize that, payroll is far, far more complex than people think. There are all kinds of things that need to be taken into account, like people working in multiple tax jurisdictions at the same time, and I suspect there is vanishingly little open source for it to consider. The inner workings of any given platform are generally considered something similar to trade secrets.

There are other industries, too, that I suspect would be less than amenable to AI going after them.

And then you have to consider how to test everything, because believe me, you have to. Screwing up payroll can become a resume-generating event.

Without meaning to trivialize that, payroll is far, far more complex than people think. There are all kinds of things that need to be taken into account, like people working in multiple tax jurisdictions at the same time, and I suspect there is vanishingly little open source for it to consider. The inner workings of any given platform are generally considered something similar to trade secrets.

There are other industries, too, that I suspect would be less than amenable to AI going after them.

And then you have to consider how to test everything, because believe me, you have to. Screwing up payroll can become a resume-generating event.
My biggest daily task is facilitating the continued existence of our Payroll/Accounting/Pension software and database. It went EoL sometime in the late 2000s and the company that built it no longer exists, 2025 is the current date we expect its replacement to be online, it's a decade behind schedule and I don't even ask how much over budget.
I am sadly overly familiar with how much a minor screwup can there can haunt you for years.

My biggest daily task is facilitating the continued existence of our Payroll/Accounting/Pension software and database. It went EoL sometime in the late 2000s and the company that built it no longer exists, 2025 is the current date we expect its replacement to be online, it's a decade behind schedule and I don't even ask how much over budget.
I am sadly overly familiar with how much a minor screwup can there can haunt you for years.
I have worked in a payroll company that generated payroll for hundreds of thousands of people. What you just said is moderately horrifying, because I've been involved in conversions from one system to another. I realize that without source or an interface to bulk extract data in the format you need, it's a tough problem, but you probably could've gotten someone like ADP or the Canadian equivalent to hand-key all the data in by now, and yes, I remember that you work for a pretty large employer.

I have worked in a payroll company that generated payroll for hundreds of thousands of people. What you just said is moderately horrifying, because I've been involved in conversions from one system to another. I realize that without source or an interface to bulk extract data in the format you need, it's a tough problem, but you probably could've gotten someone like ADP or the Canadian equivalent to hand-key all the data in by now, and yes, I remember that you work for a pretty large employer.
Yeah we’ve figured out the data it was a non encrypted flat file. We can read the raw data in notepad++ surprisingly enough. It’s building the reporting structure and getting everything laid out so it works with the intended work flow and not the one we have.

Last edited:
I didn't expected there was I am a Edge user browser base for an other reason than an easy way for using some free ChatGPT going on

Back