Microsoft Announces Halo 4, Coming This November

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft on Wednesday announced the return of Master Chief and the Halo franchise with the release of “Halo 4″ on November 6th. The franchise was originally imagined as a trilogy, with the game’s third installment becoming the biggest consumer product launch of all time when it was released in 2007. Many questions were left unanswered, however, and fans of the series wanted more. The game is set four years after the events of Halo 3, as Master Chief returns to confront his destiny and face an ancient evil that threatens to destroy the entire universe.

Halo 3 sucked to much for me to care. Especially when we won't see a PC port for over 5 years. So I don't care.

Halo 3 sucked to much for me to care. Especially when we won't see a PC port for over 5 years. So I don't care.

Do you want a PC port of this? The first two PC ports were terrible. :p

It's not like it has a compelling storyline or original character design or anything.

Haters going to hate. It is one of the best FPS franchises ever made, right up there with COD.

*dons flamesuit and hides behind DeathPrincess* :p

Oh look, another bash Halo thread ..... new and exciting.

creativity and imagination has hit a wall.
let's scrap all games and just make Halo's and COD's.

Played 1, liked to play 2 but I am having a hard time getting it to work on Win7, AFAIK 3 isn't yet on the PC so I can't play that, more than likely 4 will be the same so I'm fucked.

I know I'm going to have to put on my flame suit before I say this, but I actually enjoy the Halo series. Sure, it might not be the best looking, most realistic shooter out there, but what it nails for my friends and I is the most important thing a game can get right: FUN. Co-op campaign can be an absolute riot when you play with your friends.

Still seems like a mistake to not make it a launch title for the Xbox 720... I understand you might lose a few people in the franchise, risking letting the series go stale over a longer wait...

I would think it'd be better to come out with one more "non-halo, halo game" like reach or ODST for the 360, then launch the big kahuna later. A halo launch is guaranteed to keep the X720 sold out for 3-6 months after launch.

I know I'm going to have to put on my flame suit before I say this, but I actually enjoy the Halo series. Sure, it might not be the best looking, most realistic shooter out there, but what it nails for my friends and I is the most important thing a game can get right: FUN. Co-op campaign can be an absolute riot when you play with your friends.

^ This

I had a blast playing coop in all the halo games.

I've never liked Halo much. My wife and I played through 3, ODST and Reach together and honestly it felt like the FPS equivalent to white bread. Nothing REALLY wrong with it (besides the weapons in my opinion), but neither does it do anything all that special. The plot was simple, and honestly was filled with so many FPS and movie tropes and cliches that I was surprised people made books out of it afterwards. The level design improved from the first game, but instead of a series of same-looking corridors you could get lost in, you had some buildings and landscapes that were unique and worked well, but ultimately forgettable. It always felt like a series that landed a lot of praise because a) timing of the first game's release and b) that the game was competant, rather than the game being the entire FPS game package it was promised to be.

Also, Assault mode from Unreal Tournament series spoiled me. I felt like the giant crab-tank thing in Halo 3 was a huge missed opportunity for multiplayer. Get an 8 on 8 game going, one team piloting and manning the huge tank and the other team trying to destroy it, and I would have been so happy. That's what I really wanted.

I loved the original; did countless hours of co-op and the levels are still imprinted in my mind. I can barely remember 2 except for the Arbiter scenes/levels, and 3 bored me to death. I forced myself to finish it and then gladly sold it. A lot has changed in a decade, namely my tastes. I really don't foresee this being a great release.

Wait...I'm confused..

halo3-finish-the-fight-thumb.jpg

The only positive things I can say about Halo is that the graphics/physics for the first one were, for their time, quite good, and the local multiplayer was fairly fun.

That said, the single player was boring and awful, and the PC ports were atrocious. Not that we'll ever see another PC port for Halo since we still haven't gotten one for Halo 3 and probably never will. The whole franchise seems like a cash grab at this point.

Halo is quickly becoming synonymous with CoD in my mind.

I'd rather microsoft ported 3 tbh, I have yet to (nearly) finish the fight. Quite like halo, the first was way ahead of its time imo.

1.) Announce sequel to tired uninteresting game series

2.) Release poorly programmed buggy sequel

3.) Complain that piracy is hurting your sales.

I'd rather microsoft ported 3 tbh, I have yet to (nearly) finish the fight. Quite like halo, the first was way ahead of its time imo.

It would have been way ahead of it's time if it had come out for the Mac as originally intended, alongside the PC release. Would have predated Steam by about a decade...

I really enjoyed Halo 1. And I played it on PC. Did alot of multiplayer, but it clearly wasn't balanced too well for KBaM because the pistol was godly with good headshotting. Made the multiplayer a little silly at times (still fun though).

I think I played halo 3 single player at a friend's house on his Xbox. I... don't think I actually ever played 2, probably just read about it. The franchise really got turned into something designed to sell more Xboxes or Xbox services, which is a shame and a valid criticism.

Production wise, when the game came out it had good music, interesting and varied environments (though the library was a little tedious) a good variety of weapons and vehicles and enemeis. It did alot of things well and put them together well and made a good game. It didn't do anything groundbreaking from a PC gaming perspective, and wasn't the best at any one thing, but I would still call it a great game for its time, overall.

The console only nature means I know nothing about ODST or Reach, but they obviously left you hanging at the end of Halo 3. Is Bungie out of the picture now? I'd hoped that Halo 4 would deal with some of the Marathon-like themes hinted at with Cortana. If they're unwilling to turn HER into an insane AI, at least do it with *someone*. In the very least, be done with the Covenant and Flood as antagonists.

How about a Master Chief vs Shepard vs Marcus Fenix old school throwdown! Like AvP back when those games were good.

And maybe for the sequel they can team up and take on the Mortal Kombat guys.

Why isn't someone paying me for these ideas???? Cut me a check already!

Still seems like a mistake to not make it a launch title for the Xbox 720... I understand you might lose a few people in the franchise, risking letting the series go stale over a longer wait...

I would think it'd be better to come out with one more "non-halo, halo game" like reach or ODST for the 360, then launch the big kahuna later. A halo launch is guaranteed to keep the X720 sold out for 3-6 months after launch.

Its another trilogy, so having them buy this one on xbox 360, then hook them two more for the 720 or w/e they want to call it.

Haters going to hate. It is one of the best FPS franchises ever made, right up there with COD.

*dons flamesuit and hides behind DeathPrincess* :p

Doom
Quake
Half Life

Those are considered the best FPS games ever made. In that order, ascending order.

Halo created the idea of regenerative shield or health, and dual weapons. Which to this very day effects nearly every FPS game ever made. Not in a good way either.

Halo was good. Halo 2 was bad and Halo 3 was worse.

sigh no editing, should have looked more

It would have been way ahead of it's time if it had come out for the Mac as originally intended, alongside the PC release. Would have predated Steam by about a decade...

Not quite sure what you mean here. Not sure why steam is included in this. As for it being way ahead of its time, it would have been a completely different game had it not been for Microsoft buying them. It was a third person sort of rts game. They made halo (the fps) in 7 months, which is incredible and during that time they were like well, I don't know if we can do what we wanted and changed everything. Its incredible that Halo got such a following, they had even thought about taking out the multi player which was what made Halo so fun. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have taken off and wouldn't have been as good if they weren't bought out by Microsoft and would have been a mediocre game at best.

I've never liked Halo much. My wife and I played through 3, ODST and Reach together and honestly it felt like the FPS equivalent to white bread. Nothing REALLY wrong with it (besides the weapons in my opinion), but neither does it do anything all that special. The plot was simple, and honestly was filled with so many FPS and movie tropes and cliches that I was surprised people made books out of it afterwards. The level design improved from the first game, but instead of a series of same-looking corridors you could get lost in, you had some buildings and landscapes that were unique and worked well, but ultimately forgettable. It always felt like a series that landed a lot of praise because a) timing of the first game's release and b) that the game was competant, rather than the game being the entire FPS game package it was promised to be.

Also, Assault mode from Unreal Tournament series spoiled me. I felt like the giant crab-tank thing in Halo 3 was a huge missed opportunity for multiplayer. Get an 8 on 8 game going, one team piloting and manning the huge tank and the other team trying to destroy it, and I would have been so happy. That's what I really wanted.

The Halo gamed have a great story. But the main problem with just playing the Halo games is that you are basically thrust into this universe in the middle of a conflict between Humans the Covenant with no backstory. You learn who they are but you just don't know what led up to you finding this Halo structure in the middle of no where. Which is explained in the books. They are very well written. The games are well written too but I agree that they had some cliche parts but overall they are pretty good.

Halo multi-player isn't for everyone, but it was awesome for a lot of people. Its just a balanced game, that's what makes it fun for people. It may be a plain and simple game but it was fun to get together with friends and call each other pistol bitches or get mad about snipes from far away. Not to mention multi-player with the forge is amazing. Not only does it allow for new maps to be made. But it also allows for you to create new game types. The amount of customization given for a console game was amazing. Finally what makes a good game, great? Community. Bungie had this awesome fan base and it just grew with Halo to huge numbers. It made the game that much better.

Also, on the subject of tropes I hate that you are using them in the same breadth as cliches because they are very different. Tropes are contained in every great story ever written, they are what make the reader or player relate to the story. Cliches are when tropes are overused to the point that they make the story one dimensional. That its easy to see where the plot is going without even having to move to the next part or turn the page. Halo did this correctly, Halo

Doom
Quake
Half Life

Those are considered the best FPS games ever made. In that order, ascending order.

Halo created the idea of regenerative shield or health, and dual weapons. Which to this very day effects nearly every FPS game ever made. Not in a good way either.

Halo was good. Halo 2 was bad and Halo 3 was worse.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to take my post too seriously. I have played all the Halos and had/have fun with them. They are not the most epic games ever created, but honestly neither are the ones you listed...they are just the games from the past that you prefer. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

I am getting old and bitter, but I understand that each gamer enjoys there own things. So if you don't like a game, don't buy it. Just don't be an asshole to people who do enjoy those games. I mean with 42 million total copies sold for the Halo series, they must have done something right.

You guys are ridiculous. It's your crybaby attitude that's ruining gaming, nothing else.

Bring on Halo 4. :cool:

Halo is terrible. When I tried it for the first time I couldn't believe that such a crappy game was so popular.

The Master Chief story was fun. (so Reach and ODST weren't memorable to me)

The Co-op was very fun.

The music was excellent.

And the queue system for when to play the music was perfect.

I'm in the "port Halo 3 ro PC" boat, I'm still waiting to play it and don't want to buy a 360 :p

Back