Microsoft and Sony merger coming soon?

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
I saw this on another forum and thought that i'd post here to see what you guys think.

http://whois.domaintools.com/sony-microsoft.com

http://whois.domaintools.com/microsoft-sony.com

If you follow the links, it looks like Microsoft just registered these domain names which adds fuel to the rumors that a partnership may be possible on the next gen console. I find this pretty scary actually as i'm not sure I would want a possible merger between both companies, mostly because I don't like Sony.

Well, if they merge.. hopefully that means no more fanboyism and we can just get straight to talking about the games... not because its on another system.

So Microsoft would own the HD console market and the PC market? That doesn't sound too good. I'd much rather just own both console again next generation and have some competition in the marketplace.

This is a retarded thought. Never happen, you have a better chance of Freezebyte or theNoid becoming the chairman of SCE.

sony has made computers that use Microsoft software for years...

Yup and I hear that it could be some wierd thing between Windows 8 and Sony's laptops, but Sony has always used a lot of Microsoft stuff and never before has Microsoft felt the need to register a microsoft-sony domain name. Ford uses a LOT of Sony stuff and there is no ford-sony domain name. Ford's Sync connectivity system is also made by Microsoft and there is no ford-sony or ford-sony-microsoft domain name.

This is a retarded thought. Never happen, you have a better chance of Freezebyte or theNoid becoming the chairman of SCE.

It is interesting to see why Microsoft felt the need to register those two domain names. I am hoping we find out soon as i'm very curious. I probably shouldn't have used such a sensationalistic title, but still interesting to see.

Never gonna happen , far too many divisions would have to be axed or mixed. I also highly doubt the DOJ would approve this merger since they've spent millions preventing MS from becoming an even large monopoly than it is.

Would be bad for consumers if it did. I mean where would the competition be? Nintendo? :D

Unless they both make a unified platform, (the next microsoft console is supposed to use a cell CPU...) and then you have a choice of whos hardware you buy, but that would still limit competition...

Then again song do make a crap load of tech that lots of people use, like disk drives and pretty much everything. This might not have anything to do with games.

Unless they both make a unified platform, (the next microsoft console is supposed to use a cell CPU...) and then you have a choice of whos hardware you buy, but that would still limit competition....

Yeah that didn't work so hot for 3DO, granted they were no where near as massive as Sony and Microsoft. The point is Sony would never let Microsoft share the Playstation brand and Microsoft will never let Sony in on their Live technology.

Why do so many people say there would be no more competition? That's so not true. The competition is with the game developers. Not the consoles themselves. Battlefield 4 vs. Call of Duty 12, etc.

I liked Sony's hardware but liked Xbox's network better.

This will not end well.

It might a joint venture for something regarding Windows 8 but I doubt it will be a merger.

ya definitely not a merger. i wouldnt mind seeing a unified console platform. It could be like tvs or pcs... different manufacturers with different features but they all show the same tv shows or run the same programs.

I'm going to speculate that there's a trade of tech on the cards. The PS4 is being rumoured to feature motion-sensing controls like Kinect; MS trades the Kinect knowledge/patent/special talking stick for Blu-ray?

A merger? HA! Some sort of super console? No way! But with that said, if it were to happen, Microsoft, stick with your controller design please!

Why do so many people say there would be no more competition? That's so not true. The competition is with the game developers. Not the consoles themselves. Battlefield 4 vs. Call of Duty 12, etc.

Price of hardware. The only other person in the market would be Nintendo. Consumers would really have no choice. Sony and MS offer the traditional gaming pad where Nintendo is usually doing something off the wall. Now you're stuck with 1 traditional console with 1 style of controller (PS3 vs 360 controller preference gone).

I'm sorry..but this is necessary here.

2420195797_1eb779d325.jpg

Might this just them buying up a domain before someone else does? I know my parent company buys up domains like "xxxsucksass.com" and the like. Why isn't this the same kind of thing?

maybe the new wii U is going to own both of them so they are working together to develop something better and new and kick nintendo out of the market for good?

maybe the new wii U is going to own both of them so they are working together to develop something better and new and kick nintendo out of the market for good?

and pigs might fly......

This is so gonna be nothing and a total anti-climax :D

"Microsoft Corporation" owns about 30,169 other domains.

I don't think we have anything to worry about.

I'm going with non-console related like others have mentioned. More likely it's an entertainment media or computer related joint venture.

Yeah, no regulator on the planet would approve a merger between Sony and Microsoft, it would be a fucking juggernaut.

Might this just them buying up a domain before someone else does? I know my parent company buys up domains like "xxxsucksass.com" and the like. Why isn't this the same kind of thing?

Yeah, but how many companies go around buying domain names up using the name of your competitors? I suppose at some point we'll find out whether this ends up being a story or not but i'm still curious. This is far more interesting to speculate on rather than all the useless Bulldozer speculation threads that keep popping up in the CPU section.

The bitter tears are glorious tonight.

You should definately start posting more, Freezebyte has been stealing your thunder as of late. Last time we heard from you was pre-E3, then Microsoft tanked and well. You know. ;)

I'm going to speculate that there's a trade of tech on the cards. The PS4 is being rumoured to feature motion-sensing controls like Kinect; MS trades the Kinect knowledge/patent/special talking stick for Blu-ray?

Why would Microsoft need any kind of special talking stick for blu-ray? Sony does not own Blu-Ray and Sony doesn't control who is able to use the technology. Sony sits on the board for the BDA, but they can easily be out voted by other companies. In order for Microsoft to get blu-ray they would have to join the BDA and we would have heard about that if they did. Last I knew Microsoft had an open invitation to join if they wanted to.

Back