Microsoft And Facebook To Build Subsea Cable Across Atlantic

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook and Microsoft are teaming up on a data cable running across the Atlantic ocean connecting the US to Europe. The fourteen month long project is expected to kick off in August. In case you don't know where Europe is, the joint press release provided the following photo:

Today we’re excited to announce the latest step in our global cloud infrastructure as Microsoft and Facebook announce plans to build “MAREA” – a new, state-of-the art subsea cable across the Atlantic. The new MAREA cable will help meet the growing customer demand for high speed, reliable connections for cloud and online services for Microsoft, Facebook and their customers. The parties have cleared conditions to go “Contract-In-Force” with their plans, and construction of the cable will commence in August 2016 with completion expected in October 2017.

Facebook and Microsoft are teaming up on a data cable running across the Atlantic ocean connecting the US to Europe. The fourteen month long project is expected to kick off in August. In case you don't know where Europe is, the joint press release provided the following photo:

Today we’re excited to announce the latest step in our global cloud infrastructure as Microsoft and Facebook announce plans to build “MAREA” – a new, state-of-the art subsea cable across the Atlantic. The new MAREA cable will help meet the growing customer demand for high speed, reliable connections for cloud and online services for Microsoft, Facebook and their customers. The parties have cleared conditions to go “Contract-In-Force” with their plans, and construction of the cable will commence in August 2016 with completion expected in October 2017.

Isn't Europe just a generic version of USA? They just do everything backwards from us just to be different with no real reason otherwise.

I just want better connections to over there so I can stop playing on overcrowded US servers for games. If they could also run the other end to my house that would be great too.

""Facebook and Microsoft are teaming up on a data cable running across the Atlantic""...I think I just puked a little in my mouth. This reeks of troubles to come for humanity.

We need governments working together to do this, as well. I can see the wisdom in letting commercial entities "trail blaze" to lower the risk of investment of tax dollars, though.

We need governments working together to do this, as well. I can see the wisdom in letting commercial entities "trail blaze" to lower the risk of investment of tax dollars, though.

There's a pretty good marketplace of cables (see this map), I don't know why governments need to get involved, they're really bad at technology.

Isn't Europe just a generic version of USA? They just do everything backwards from us just to be different with no real reason otherwise.

I just want better connections to over there so I can stop playing on overcrowded US servers for games. If they could also run the other end to my house that would be great too.

Don't get your hopes up. This is going to be a private backhaul for Microsoft and Facebooks US Data Centers to connect to their European data centers. This is not going to be a public accessible fiber connection.

Last edited:
""Facebook and Microsoft are teaming up on a data cable running across the Atlantic""...I think I just puked a little in my mouth. This reeks of troubles to come for humanity.

So, I am sure you would rather the governments spend our money on it instead? I fail to see the problem other than your irrational hatred of those two companies. So, how much are you chipping in to get it done?

Last edited:

Remember where your from boy...

People like you are why the rest of the world hate Americans.

Last edited:
So, I am sure you would rather the governments spend our money on it instead? I fail to see the problem other than your irrational hatred of those two companies. So, how much are you chipping in to get it done?

It is a government approved and tapped private line for these 2 government stooge companies. I got your irrational hatred hanging right here between my legs. My rational hatred I keep close to my heart.

It is a government approved and tapped private line for these 2 government stooge companies. I got your irrational hatred hanging right here between my legs. My rational hatred I keep close to my heart.

I'm pretty sure in the new online approval forms from the FCC have a pre-checked box 'authorize the FBI to tap me' just like 'make Bing my default homepage' and 'Friend me on Facebook"

Back