Microsoft Admits It “Went Too Far” With Aggressive Windows 10 Updates

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The company (or its Chief Marketing Officer, at least) is admitting that the company made a big mistake with a previous version of the “Get Windows 10” installer, which had an “X” button that didn’t do anything and provided consumers no choice but to upgrade. Microsoft has reportedly learned “a lot” from this misstep.

Chris Capossela, Microsoft’s Chief Marketing Officer, called the weeks between Microsoft’s initial patch update and the eventual decision to reverse course on the malware-like installer “very painful.” He continues: We know we want people to be running Windows 10 from a security perspective, but finding the right balance where you’re not stepping over the line of being too aggressive is something we tried and for a lot of the year I think we got it right, but there was one particular moment in particular where, you know, the red X in the dialog box which typically means you cancel didn’t mean cancel.

The company (or its Chief Marketing Officer, at least) is admitting that the company made a big mistake with a previous version of the “Get Windows 10” installer, which had an “X” button that didn’t do anything and provided consumers no choice but to upgrade.

Or, you know, just ignore it. Or uninstall the optional KB. For a bunch of supposedly tech savvy high end advanced users, people sure do like to complain about entirely reversible and avoidable things.

a5K2pPq_700b.jpg

Or, you know, just ignore it. Or uninstall the optional KB. For a bunch of supposedly tech savvy high end advanced users, people sure do like to complain about entirely reversible and avoidable things.

Just don't know when to quit with the victim blaming, eh. You're either being intentionally obtuse or just missing the bigger picture. This went far beyond what some nerds on a tech forum had to endure.

There's no defense for it, much as the astroturfers tried to play it off as an "unintended bug" that Microsoft "didn't do on purpose".

I thought from the title it was about the aggressively limited update options within 10, rather than the free upgrade nag malware. Great, they've figured out that something they did a year ago was unpopular, not that it will stop them from doing it again.

Which update are you talking about, the first one or all the other versions that they kept pushing out after renaming? That's also ignoring all the other shenanigans like giving people the option to install now or later but no option to not install.

I was certainly able to avoid it but it was much more of a hassle than it should have been and I did end up having to help some friends and family members that weren't knowledgeable enough to avoid it.

Are they going to admit that the decision to make Zen and Kaby Lake and newer CPU's not run on any Windows version prior to 10 a step too far too?

Seriously, they need to stop being coercive.

... not that it will stop them from doing it again.
THAT is how you know if they *actually* regret the decisions: if they try to rectify it and not do it again. Since I have seen zero evidence of either...

Are they going to admit that the decision to make Zen and Kaby Lake and newer CPU's not run on any Windows version prior to 10 a step too far too?
Um, you can still run older versions. They're just not going to recompile the old versions to take advantage of the new CPU features.

All I use a windows computer for is games. Whatever games don't run on my Linux computers I stream to them with the one single windows computer in the house.

After the hole windows 8 though 10 thing. And then installing the spyware and force update stuff Io win7 I have gone back to Vista. I don't care about updates as long as the games I want run and they do. Microsoft forced me back to Vista just so I could play games that don't have Linux ports. Thank god all I really need is the Souls series from windows. After that it's all Linux and consoles.

Reactions: Uncle
like this

Typical apologist. Downplay and avoid the real issues being brought up. yeah don't worry about those, just listen and believe!

Now where is heartless and manofinvisibleskygod to join in on that song sheet?

I don't expect Mom/Pop to know how to cancel an update when the options are "Now, Later" and the little red X - a logical conclusion that this would be a cancel button - also meant "Later".

That's what the article is about. It's not about being tech savvy, it's about MS being extremely abusive.

My business partner has an older laptop and came home to Windows 10 being installed. It runs like shit because Dell designed the drivers for Windows 7, not what is being forced into it now. It also removed his ability for DVD playback.

I thought from the title it was about the aggressively limited update options within 10, rather than the free upgrade nag malware. Great, they've figured out that something they did a year ago was unpopular, not that it will stop them from doing it again.

Gotta admit, I found an app that uses every trick to disable Windows Update and my W10 experience has not been nearly as frustrating. I have to do manual updates now, but the frustration of 20min reboots during a workday are gone. Their active hour system is flawed as if the machine fails to reboot itself (app holding it open), it'd force the "Shutdown/Restart with Update" as the only option besides pulling the power cord.

Last edited:
Because we all know Microsofts very very LONG history of asking for forgiveness, rather then permission has nothing to do with their decision making process at ANY level....

[...]
Um, you can still run older versions. They're just not going to recompile the old versions to take advantage of the new CPU features.
No, it does not work. I recently tried to help a friend with a legacy Vista 32bit computer, that had to run Vista 32bit for legacy software, but the MB/PSU died. So new MB. Skylake. None of the Intel drivers work (there aren't even Intel drivers for Vista 32bit, and none of the drivers for similar devices/OS' work). Furthermore, the USB ports fail to work when attached to mass storage (but work fine with KB&M). Those same USB ports are fine in Windows 10 (installed on another SSD).

Sure, the OS boots, but the Intel-related stuff barely works. Intel's own website claims there is a BIOS/UEFI feature to enable backwords compatibility for their USB drivers. It does not exist, in any form.

They knew exactly what they were doing. "Get Windows 10" acted like malware because it was malware.
About as close to a rootkit as you can get. I don't know if MS can be tried as criminals since their EULA is pretty extensive and windows was technically free. I see taking them to civil court for deliberate Maliciousness, Aggravation, etc.

No, it does not work. I recently tried to help a friend with a legacy Vista 32bit computer, that had to run Vista 32bit for legacy software, but the MB/PSU died. So new MB. Skylake. None of the Intel drivers work (there aren't even Intel drivers for Vista 32bit, and none of the drivers for similar devices/OS' work). Furthermore, the USB ports fail to work when attached to mass storage (but work fine with KB&M). Those same USB ports are fine in Windows 10 (installed on another SSD).

Sure, the OS boots, but the Intel-related stuff barely works. Intel's own website claims there is a BIOS/UEFI feature to enable backwords compatibility for their USB drivers. It does not exist, in any form.
Vista and 7 are on extended support. AFAIK, all extended support gets you is security updates. I am surprised that Windows 8 isn't getting support, but my guess is that there are so few using it, it won't matter. I certainly wouldn't buy a new machine and use 8 (but for me it offers no benefit over 10 and I prefer 10's UI).

Vista and 7 are on extended support. AFAIK, all extended support gets you is security updates. I am surprised that Windows 8 isn't getting support, but my guess is that there are so few using it, it won't matter. I certainly wouldn't buy a new machine and use 8 (but for me it offers no benefit over 10 and I prefer 10's UI).
Yesh, MSFT is moving away from Vista/7. I was thinking of Intel's support status for pre-10 OS. Drivers are nonexistant for Vista 32bit. I was damn lucky Realtek (the network card vendor) still supported Vista 32bit (likely due to this being legacy HW). Though I agree with you, I would not use 8/8.1 for a new build. Due to the (something), none of the newer Nvidia GPUs could get their drivers to install. Luckily, my friend had an older 7900GS on hand, which not only worked, the drivers installed right away for that.

The only thing that they learned is that users still get pissed at their crap....and they can still get away with it.

Makes you wonder if the government has more power over the tech industry than consumers wallets. :) Cause after each pres-elect, there is the meeting of the minds from the tech industry with the new pres-elect and not with any consumers.

Horseshit. Microsoft doesn't learn anything from anyone. They are just attempting to quiet down the tribe in preparation for the next grand scheme no one will like but will be forced with anyway.

NO problem.
THAT is how you know if they *actually* regret the decisions: if they try to rectify it and not do it again. Since I have seen zero evidence of either..
No, you cost them whatever they made, plus punitive costs. Of course, then you'd have to rely on what they tell you. So in lieu of that, award every single registered user of windows 10 that got snared into the automatic update, one share of microsoft stock, taken directly out of the value of the current outstanding stock. Make it easy, the only proof needed will be a snapshot of your computer's system page showing windows 10, and a valid license product I.D.. Take a bite out of the value of the company. THAT'S how you stop companies from doing evil things. That's the only way. Only money matters to them. So hit them where it counts.

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL said:
By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software.

I wonder if this will be their legal defense undoing. Windows 10 has its own EULA. The automatic (forced) Windows 10 update strips the end user consent option to accept or reject the new EULA.

You got to fuck us in the ass once when we were drunk, Microsoft. That doesn’t mean you get to come back a week later when sober and gang bang us.

Hi All

Until folk start voting with their wallets Microsoft will learn nothing

I've used Windows all my life. I'd like to keep using a product like Windows 7 indefinitely, I'm fine with paying a subscription for security updates and new features. Instead Microsoft seems to be doing everything they can to break compatibility with old software and pushing me to a Phablet OS that I don't want. Windows Update has been broken on 7 and 8 for over a year, major updates to 10 often consist of complete OS re-installs.

They knew what they were doing was malware. Microsoft was always planning on killing off the desktop as we know it, they clearly said '10 is the last Windows,' and they meant it. I've already ditched Windows for Linux Mint on all but one machine and it's been a really good experience.

1/3 of my Steam library is Linux native. All of my favorite games are Linux native. My R9 290X, Highpoint RocketRAID 2720, and Soundblaster Z all work fine... Why bother with Windows? If you're one of those people who'd occasionally dabbled in Linux and been disappointed, I highly recommend you give Mint 18.1 a spin and see how it goes. Things have improved dramatically in the last couple years.

Yesh, MSFT is moving away from Vista/7. I was thinking of Intel's support status for pre-10 OS. Drivers are nonexistant for Vista 32bit. I was damn lucky Realtek (the network card vendor) still supported Vista 32bit (likely due to this being legacy HW). Though I agree with you, I would not use 8/8.1 for a new build. Due to the (something), none of the newer Nvidia GPUs could get their drivers to install. Luckily, my friend had an older 7900GS on hand, which not only worked, the drivers installed right away for that.
New Nvidia drivers don't support 7? Really? That's weird.

New Nvidia drivers don't support 7? Really? That's weird.
Vista 32bit is just an odd animal when it comes to driver support. Windows' driver model has changed a lot over time, and Vista 32bit is just caught in a hinterlands between 32bit and 64bit OSes.

Vista 32bit is just an odd animal when it comes to driver support. Windows' driver model has changed a lot over time, and Vista 32bit is just caught in a hinterlands between 32bit and 64bit OSes.

Vista was also one of the best OSes Microsoft ever made, as long as you were at least at SP1, used 64 Bit and gave it as much hardware as it would use. I hated that they nerfed the super fetch in Windows 7 so that it made it more or less useless.

Just don't know when to quit with the victim blaming, eh. You're either being intentionally obtuse or just missing the bigger picture. This went far beyond what some nerds on a tech forum had to endure.

There's no defense for it, much as the astroturfers tried to play it off as an "unintended bug" that Microsoft "didn't do on purpose".

Yada, yada, astroturfers, yada yada............

Seriously, they need to stop being coercive.

There is no valid proof that Zen and Kaby Lake will not run on earlier versions of Windows, just that all the features will not be available. FUD much?

Typical apologist. Downplay and avoid the real issues being brought up. yeah don't worry about those, just listen and believe!

Now where is heartless and manofinvisibleskygod to join in on that song sheet?

Typical hater, up playing every thing they see and here. ;) There, is that what you were hoping for? Good job dude, you renamed my username to get a rise out of me, that is cool. :D

Man, I'm a huge Microsoft supporter. But, their tactics for pushing Windows 10 was pure bullshit. For a bunch of tech savvy high end advanced users on this forum - some still had problems. For the typical non-tech savvy non-high end non-advanced users? Problems galore.

I love Microsoft. But, you have to call them on their bullshit. Hell, Windows Insiders feedback tool is a product of that. Are you not satisfied with a change? Tell them. They listen and they fix things. They've backtracked before. Gabe Aul and now Dona Sarkar want you to call them out if something isn't right.

Ignore it? No. Give Microsoft the feedback so they can do something about it. The Windows 10 upgrade was a huge clusterfuck. We know it. They know it. Apparently, you missed the memo.

I had no issues. I've been with the Insiders builds since day 1. Excellent OS. Just can't deny they screwed up with that nearly forced upgrade (unless you were a tech savvy high end advanced user that looked up how to disable it.... again and again as they kept pushing it under different KB's and names).

Not talking about Vista (I wouldn't expect them to spend much time on Vista), but someone said they don't work on 7.

make the awitch to server 2012 r2 and keep it on trial :p best os i have found and only thing keeping me off linux.

for the less tech savvy like my mom, it chewed up her 5gb data plan in two days and left her with kilobytes for 27 days. And in the next month, it tried to download itself again. she called me when she couldn't figure out why she was getting messages from Verizon on high data usage. She didn't know about a patch, and would have required help to install the patch.

Back