Microsoft Admits It Incorrectly Upgraded Some Windows 10 Users To V1709

I'm hoping curiosity does not kill this cat. I just re-enabled updates on this PC which has been corrupted by updates before. Not sure if it was a MS or Lenovo update but I might find out shortly.

EDIT: hmm, didn't blue screen this time.

Last edited:
one thing that REALLY annoys me about the constant updates is often you dont know until you go to reboot for some other reason and then..BAM your having to wait because now windows is updating.

they need to bring back the reboot options to update and reboot, or just reboot

Windows 10 update system is just plain terrible. i have a laptop here that i have been putting through the update cycle on and off ( dont have time to sit and baby sit it. but have been counting the hours) it has taken over 6 hours to update and still has more updates to go . its in now easier to download the latest version of 10 and reinstall it rather than wait for the updates to install.

Around these parts, that means something who is not slavishly devoted to Linux and its "obvious" superiority. :rolleyes: Or as I like to call them, the LDF! :D Stuff happens, amazing how people are able to survive at all, based upon the responses I see here.

The linux fanatics have been around for years, big deal. The windows defenders of the redmond faith took off with win8. I used to be a "stuff happens" and use what works for you type. I got tired of all the apple fanatics making bad comparisons and would defend windows here and there, rip into it when MS screwed up (wait for the SP1 version of any MS OS etc). Then windows8 took off and anyone who dared tell the truth, that metro sucked was demonized as being old fogeys who can't learn new things and that MS can do no wrong. Win10 continues on with the stupidity and people still rabidly defend it.

Since windows8 it has almost been a requirement to use something like WSUS. I remember a win8 laptop that required 75+ updates before it would download the required 8.1 installer. 3.5 hours to essentially reinstall the OS after 2 failed updates.

The linux fanatics have been around for years, big deal. The windows defenders of the redmond faith took off with win8. I used to be a "stuff happens" and use what works for you type. I got tired of all the apple fanatics making bad comparisons and would defend windows here and there, rip into it when MS screwed up (wait for the SP1 version of any MS OS etc). Then windows8 took off and anyone who dared tell the truth, that metro sucked was demonized as being old fogeys who can't learn new things and that MS can do no wrong. Win10 continues on with the stupidity and people still rabidly defend it.

Since windows8 it has almost been a requirement to use something like WSUS. I remember a win8 laptop that required 75+ updates before it would download the required 8.1 installer. 3.5 hours to essentially reinstall the OS after 2 failed updates.

I personally cannot say that I agree with some of what you are saying, at all. I do not think that the full screen start screen and apps sucked at all, they were just another way of doing things that personally liked. In fact, I was not happy when Windows 10 arrived and that option of the full screen start menu being open on startup was no longer available. Now, I do have my machines set to full screen for it and configure my groups the way I like but, I just had to deal with it and move on. Your opinion that it sucked is just that, your opinion, and I happen not to agree with it.

Now, if you had said that the full screen stuff was unpopular, I would agree and in fact, because of the rapid changes, severe lack of training when installing the OS and a lot of FUD as well, it damaged the desktop OS market in a time when it could ill afford it. However, the fact that I like the changes makes sense since I also preferred the Amiga OS and IBM OS/2 Warp back in the day. According to your definition of a Windows Defenders, I must have been one then because, at least from my perspective, I have grown out of the idea that I need to hate something just because others think it sucks or hate it. Or that I must go with the crowd or like something they like, just because.

Have to admit, they did finally fix the Windows updates issues of having to install a ton of updates before moving on to the next big one. However, that occurred in Windows 10 and they left 8/8.1 behind just as fast as they could.

Reading news like this has delayed me from upgrading to Windows 10. I hear often about all these frustrations with Windows 10, concerning the updates. My laptops/desktops are still stuck in Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1, but I know eventually I'll have to adapt and upgrade. I'll keep holding off as long as I can.

Now, if you had said that the full screen stuff was unpopular, I would agree and in fact, because of the rapid changes, severe lack of training when installing the OS and a lot of FUD as well, it damaged the desktop OS market in a time when it could ill afford it. However, the fact that I like the changes makes sense since I also preferred the Amiga OS and IBM OS/2 Warp back in the day. According to your definition of a Windows Defenders, I must have been one then because, at least from my perspective, I have grown out of the idea that I need to hate something just because others think it sucks or hate it. Or that I must go with the crowd or like something they like, just because.

My perspective on the UI changes in 8 going through 10 is that will plenty of mistakes were made, the general ideas were necessary. Sure a lot of things could be better, there could more options, etc. but at this point it's Windows has to work on touch enabled devices and it needed a better UI system to handle that than what's available to classic (i.e. Windows 7) Win32. Six years ago one could say tablets and 2 in 1s were irrelevant in the Windows device market, that's simply not true today.

I hated Windows 8 when I first installed it, and then I found the one feature that made me love it.

Right click on the windows start menu taskbar icon (or Windows Key + x). You'll get an old Windows 9x style start menu (without programs). You can even change it to show Command Prompt instead of PowerShell in Taskbar Settings.

I hated XP, it was horrible. Fortunately Microsoft had merged NT and Client by then so I was able to use Server 2000 and Server 2003 to avoid that atrocious dumbed down interface. They worked fantastic, and were even better for playing games as I could turn off almost every useless feature to free up memory and reduce paging. But, I started with Windows 3.1 and so your mileage may vary on which version of Windows you liked best, I know a lot of people that loved XP and I just never understood why as it removed so much user control from 9x.

Regardless, it's good to see Microsoft admitting it was a mistake rather than lying about it or ignoring the issue. Hopefully the company has grown out of that phase.

There is a option to delay feature update for 365 days. I have that set but will most likely manually update to 1803 as soon as the full iso file is available.

There is a option to delay feature update for 365 days. I have that set but will most likely manually update to 1803 as soon as the full iso file is available.

If only MS actually honored their GPOs. I had that option set to 365 days on several PCs, but MS ignored it and tried to install 1709 anyway.

This is like GWX all over again.

Opaque user telemetry settings? Check.
Hidden update policies? Check.
Bizarre folder permission settings? Check.
Pushing a Microsoft store app? Check.
Byzantine settings menu? Check.
Annoying Cortana? Check.
Notifications of crap I don't care about? Check.

It's almost as if MS is doing an experiment in how far they can push before they lose customer base.

As far as updates, it is amazing that I cannot see what updates have been applied, which ones are waiting to be applied, and which ones are queued up to be applied. And why I should have them on my machine.

Meantime, I'll continue to be amused by the manner in which one of my WIn10 machines, with a Logitech G502 mouse, cannot use the mouse in Safe Mode. It works in BIOS, it works in the Rescue Media, it works in Win10. It does not work in Safe Mode.

That's a fun one! But, hey, I do get repeatedly notified about how to link my phone to my computer! Thanks.

Opaque user telemetry settings? Check.
Hidden update policies? Check.
Bizarre folder permission settings? Check.
Pushing a Microsoft store app? Check.
Byzantine settings menu? Check.
Annoying Cortana? Check.
Notifications of crap I don't care about? Check.

It's almost as if MS is doing an experiment in how far they can push before they lose customer base.

As far as updates, it is amazing that I cannot see what updates have been applied, which ones are waiting to be applied, and which ones are queued up to be applied. And why I should have them on my machine.

Meantime, I'll continue to be amused by the manner in which one of my WIn10 machines, with a Logitech G502 mouse, cannot use the mouse in Safe Mode. It works in BIOS, it works in the Rescue Media, it works in Win10. It does not work in Safe Mode.

That's a fun one! But, hey, I do get repeatedly notified about how to link my phone to my computer! Thanks.
Dont forget the obnouxious "Edge is bettah than chrome" popups... 1st time seeing that on my wifes laptop last night and I almost threw it across the room

Dont forget the obnouxious "Edge is bettah than chrome" popups... 1st time seeing that on my wifes laptop last night and I almost threw it across the room

Sounds like you have anger issues, you may want to get that checked out. ;) Ah well, there is enough real stuff in Windows 10 to actually be upset about that this is really not a big deal.

Cool. Everyone here would do the same thing if it's an easy thing for them to do.

Oh I hear you. It wasn't easy setting them up, and that's the biggest drawback. Here is to hoping that Linux continues to gain market share and improves the user experience.

I personally cannot say that I agree with some of what you are saying, at all. I do not think that the full screen start screen and apps sucked at all, they were just another way of doing things that personally liked. In fact, I was not happy when Windows 10 arrived and that option of the full screen start menu being open on startup was no longer available. Now, I do have my machines set to full screen for it and configure my groups the way I like but, I just had to deal with it and move on. Your opinion that it sucked is just that, your opinion, and I happen not to agree with it.

Have to admit, they did finally fix the Windows updates issues of having to install a ton of updates before moving on to the next big one. However, that occurred in Windows 10 and they left 8/8.1 behind just as fast as they could.

Sigh, I've had this debate before with heatlesssun and others over the years here. Yes, yes, touch screens are the future... except in 2012 they weren't and windows 8 wasn't a hybrid UI/OS, it was "do it our way you idiots because OMG we need to be in tablets!". Then they wonder why they're losing market and mindshare. If you want a hack of all trades OS, well make it damn adaptable. They've done better in win10 but as pointed out in this thread they've just made the experience worse overall. And no, I'm not wrong and its not just my opinion. There was a search string for "how do I shut down windows 8" for pete's sake. Nevermind that in many cases that wasn't even a proper shutdown but a "fast boot" form of sleep/hibernate.

Crazy as it sounds, I don't totally hate win10 on touch screens or tablets. It has become hate overall because I have to spend so much time dealing with an OS that should be far more refined after 20+ years of experience. Instead we the customers are more and more the guinea pigs, the beta testers for a slapdash slacker company of idiots. An OS that I pay money for yet get ads built into the damn thing.

Sigh, I've had this debate before with heatlesssun and others over the years here. Yes, yes, touch screens are the future... except in 2012 they weren't and windows 8 wasn't a hybrid UI/OS, it was "do it our way you idiots because OMG we need to be in tablets!". Then they wonder why they're losing market and mindshare. If you want a hack of all trades OS, well make it damn adaptable. They've done better in win10 but as pointed out in this thread they've just made the experience worse overall. And no, I'm not wrong and its not just my opinion. There was a search string for "how do I shut down windows 8" for pete's sake. Nevermind that in many cases that wasn't even a proper shutdown but a "fast boot" form of sleep/hibernate.

Crazy as it sounds, I don't totally hate win10 on touch screens or tablets. It has become hate overall because I have to spend so much time dealing with an OS that should be far more refined after 20+ years of experience. Instead we the customers are more and more the guinea pigs, the beta testers for a slapdash slacker company of idiots. An OS that I pay money for yet get ads built into the damn thing.

You have some points. Understand that I've been using Windows on convertibles and tablets since Windows XP. I've long wanted Windows to work well across different kinds of devices and input methods. In that regard Windows 10 does a good job for me. Of course things could be better, I don't have any intrinsic love for Windows. But if were that horrible I don't see why anyone would use it. And every time I look into using Linux as a full time solution there's just so many things that don't work at all.

If we're really being honest about it, there's just no one desktop OS that's going to make everyone happy, that's no possible. Windows has the best 3rd support by far because of its market share so that gives it a huge advantage.

Sounds like you have anger issues, you may want to get that checked out. ;) Ah well, there is enough real stuff in Windows 10 to actually be upset about that this is really not a big deal.
Sounds like more BS from Microsoft...

Like this:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fa...-dumb-idea-to-make-people-use-its-web-browser
Microsoft is trying a new brute-force tactic to boost adoption of its Edge browser. In the latest preview version of Windows 10, Microsoft’s Mail app will automatically open web links in Edge, even for users who’ve set a different browser as their default. Doing so, Microsoft says, will ensure “the best, most secure and consistent experience on Windows 10 and across your devices.”

That’s not exactly true. Although Edge has gotten a lot better since it replaced Internet Explorer as the main Windows browser in 2015, and is now available on iOS and Android, it doesn’t yet sync tabs across devices like Chrome and Mozilla Firefox can. Also, the iPad version is still in beta, and the Android version isn’t compatible with tablets.

Besides, ignoring people’s default browser choice only makes the experience less consistent, because users end up with open web pages scattered across multiple browsers. If Microsoft wants people to love Windows, this isn’t the way to do it.

It's bad enough edge hijacks opening SVG & PDF (update dependant), I don't really need this kind of bullshit..

Sounds like more BS from Microsoft...

Like this:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fa...-dumb-idea-to-make-people-use-its-web-browser

It's bad enough edge hijacks opening SVG & PDF (update dependant), I don't really need this kind of bullshit..

In this case I'm more than happy to say "Fuck Microsoft." The Windows 10 mail app is actually not bad these days and my guess is that through the magic of telemetry that Microsoft has found a lot more Windows 10 users using the mail app than Edge and thus trying to force the issue. As your local not-Microsoft employee this is just bullshit and I've let my not-employer no as much and will continue to say so. And I use Edge as my primary browser.

One of the big problems with 10 is the removal of choice. There are technical reasons for some if it but there's no technical reason for this nonsense other than to boost Edge's market share.

Beginning in build 17623, Windows Mail ignores default browser and forces links to open in Edge

Facepalm. Though I have to wonder if this isn't just an effort to kill any remaining usage of the Mail app.

And this is where Windows 10 haters have a great point. This is actually a decent basic mail app and probably gets more use than Edge thus this stupid bullshit. I get called a Windows White Knight, employee, etc. but I have no problem blasting Microsoft when it's this obvious what they are doing.

That doesn't stop FCU/1709. I had WU service disabled on all my 1703 rigs, and it didn't prevent 1709 from auto-installing, which broke their GPUs since there's a PCIe resource allocation bug with 1709 and certain motherboards. Even had "Delay Feature Updates for <365> days" set in Group Policy - Microsoft ignores that apparently. Even had the sneaky scheduled tasks that re-enable WU removed.

Some of my rigs with low disk space ground to a halt because "Windows Update Assistant" kept showing up and running the free disk space down to zero downloading 1709 without permission. These are systems I count on to work 24/7 and I incurred financial losses during their downtime.

I'm a Windows guy since 3.0, but this was the last straw because MS isn't honorable. Re-rolled my gaming PC to dualboot Linux Mint / Windows 8.1 (8.1 only when i game, Linux Mint everything else) installed ClassicShell and blocked absolutely all windows update stuff before plugging in Ethernet. Moving all my other rigs to Ubuntu(HiveOS). Enough's enough.
I could not have said this better myself.
QFT!

Interesting, I just clicked on 2 links in 2 different emails and guess what? They both opened in Firefox, my default browser. :) Oh, and that is on build 17115.
Gosh good for you. Shame its not scheduled to be enabled FOR A LATER BUILD ... Do you even both to read before you white knight

Gosh good for you. Shame its not scheduled to be enabled FOR A LATER BUILD ... Do you even both to read before you white knight

"White Knight". LOL! :D Not sure, LDF person, what do you think? ;) Hey, if that actually becomes permanent, I will just switch to another email client, maybe Outlook or Thunderbird, no biggie. However, it is being simply tested and feedback is being received, I highly doubt you will see this happen, considering what the feedback already is about it.

Amazing that if I am not in here bashing, I am supporting, good for you.

That... doesn't really work anymore. Somehow, Windows will sneakily reenable that service to download more crap you don't need (for example, this recent feature update). 3-4 gigabytes of bandwidth needlessly wasted.
I've created a scheduled task that ensures that the WU service is OFF and DISABLED every 15 minutes, but I'm sure MS will find a way around that soon anyway. I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering blocking every MS owned IP from my network.
Proof Windows is a virus.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
Cool. Everyone here would do the same thing if it's an easy thing for them to do.
Five days and counting on Linux Mint Live USB...

qn8hogf.jpg

Around these parts, that means something who is not slavishly devoted to Linux and its "obvious" superiority. :rolleyes: Or as I like to call them, the LDF! :D Stuff happens, amazing how people are able to survive at all, based upon the responses I see here.
Didja snort the White Knight Power, too?

That... doesn't really work anymore. Somehow, Windows will sneakily reenable that service to download more crap you don't need (for example, this recent feature update). 3-4 gigabytes of bandwidth needlessly wasted.
I've created a scheduled task that ensures that the WU service is OFF and DISABLED every 15 minutes, but I'm sure MS will find a way around that soon anyway. I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering blocking every MS owned IP from my network.
Shit. So we're back to it's not possible to stop it from auto-updating? I was hoping someone would have figured out how to do this years out now.

Back