Microsoft Admits Cortana Is an Epic Failure by Shamelessly Selling Amazon Echo Dot

I'm willing to bet that those that complain about these devices or can't believe why anyone would have them in their home or turned on are the same with a smart phone in their pocket. Spying will be focused to your smart phone before alexa, google, siri, or what ever else is to collect data. Just so you all know... Lastly, devices like Alexa don't transmit any data unless the keyword is triggered and for up 5 minutes after triggered. The misconception about that they spy on you is idiotic especially here on [H] forums where anyone and their brother should know how to put it on its own network and monitor network traffic regarding it. Simple routers allow you to do this even.

Hell no, I trust Amazon far less than Microsoft and Google.

I don't trust any of them but that's not what it's about. It's about how you manage your devices that is if you want said device. You can go without a smart phone or smart TV's or gaming consoles completely to avoid all risk if you like.

Cortana isn't going to be displacing Google Home or Echo devices, but it's VERY present in the enterprise. Intelligent inbox, natural language scheduling, just to name a few.

I'm willing to bet that those that complain about these devices or can't believe why anyone would have them in their home or turned on are the same with a smart phone in their pocket. Spying will be focused to your smart phone before alexa, google, siri, or what ever else is to collect data. Just so you all know... Lastly, devices like Alexa don't transmit any data unless the keyword is triggered and for up 5 minutes after triggered. The misconception about that they spy on you is idiotic especially here on [H] forums where anyone and their brother should know how to put it on its own network and monitor network traffic regarding it. Simple routers allow you to do this even.

Actually Amazon had a problem in leaking data because Alexa IS listening when you aren't talking. The incident involved a person who knew the victim and the conversation involved a lot of things no 3rd party should have heard, but it was all played back. So while they listed the problem as fixed, there is a continued risk of inadvertent data leaking. And if you couple that with the AWS backend for which the leaks are nearly constant (as in improperly set servers being publicly available), you can be well assured that there will be more "personal data" leaks from Alexa in the future. It's just a matter of time.

And as far as being safe by "knowing how to properly configure your device" I'd say that 50% of all users of all devices out there (and I'm quite probably low on that %) know absolutely zero about properly configuring their devices, all of them.

Then please for the love of god let us disable that garbage in Windows 10!
I'm curious about how Cortana interferes or disrupts people's Windows 10 experience. I have been using Win10 on multiple devices since launch, without any customization or attempt to disable Cortana, and it's not any part of my Windows 10 usage experience... except.. unlike Siri and OK Google, I can use Cortana to shut down my laptop with my voice. It's awesome for laying in bed listening to music or Youtube and when I'm just about out I am just sorta mumble "hey cortana, shut down, yes" and it shuts down.

That's literally my only Cortana exposure. What is it doing for other people to make them so mad?

I'm curious about how Cortana interferes or disrupts people's Windows 10 experience. I have been using Win10 on multiple devices since launch, without any customization or attempt to disable Cortana, and it's not any part of my Windows 10 usage experience... except.. unlike Siri and OK Google, I can use Cortana to shut down my laptop with my voice. It's awesome for laying in bed listening to music or Youtube and when I'm just about out I am just sorta mumble "hey cortana, shut down, yes" and it shuts down.

That's literally my only Cortana exposure. What is it doing for other people to make them so mad?

I do not like the concept of always listening AI. It is unclear if I can completely stop it from doing so, but if I'm.not going to use something, which I never will with Cortana, Is prefer to not have it running on my system. I don't want to waste even a single kb of RAM or storage or a single CPU cycle on something I don't want to use, and never will use.

I want the windows store, Xbox integration, camera, calendar, one drive, , Groove, TV & Movies, etc. etc. gone.

Essentially I want every single hint of an "ecosystem" gone. No process running, no file on my drive taking up space, not just in my current account, but all accounts in the installed OS.

I don't want to be forced to have ANY software I don't want. Microsoft should focus on being a good operating system and a good operating system only, leaving everything else to third parties.

At the very least let me opt out and remove it from my system.

I do not like the concept of always listening AI.
Put a nail through your computer's microphone. Or don't have a microphone. My desktop doesn't have one.

If you have a fear of micrphones, I have bad news for you about the 21st century. I'm also 105% certain that putting a "Cortana On [O ] Off" slider in Windows 10 would do absolutely nothing at all whatsoever to calm any fears of anyone who has a microphone.

"Just cuz they say the earth is ro... er.. just cuz they SAY I can disable Cortana doesn't mean I really CAN it's all just chemtrails!"

There are too many platforms - people don't want multiple vendors. Imagine having a few different devices in your house and trying to figure out how to turn which light on/off. Siri, I mean Alexa, - damnit - someone turn off the lights.
I do use home automation and have Alexa devices in my house. I also have an iPhone and use Siri in my car. I don't want anymore - honestly, I'd like to get down to Alexa in my car (but the iPhone isn't that open. Yes, I can get Alexa, but it can't use my iPhone's features.)

I went totally the opposite direction. I don't trust Amazon on the consumer side at all. I run all automation through a separate 'apple' segment on my network. Apple TV acts as the hub for home automation and none of the Apple stuff touches the rest of the network. Id like to use Alexa, but only if i could 'de-consumerize it' and tap directly into AWS, with enterprise level stuff.

Back