Microsoft Adds Four Halo Games to Xbox One Backward Compatibility

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Halo: Anniversary, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo 4 are now playable on the Xbox One, with free DLC for all titles: if you own any of these games, you can simply pop the disc in (or install it from the Ready to Download list, in the case of digital copies) and start playing. Some say this is an interesting decision, as Microsoft still stands to make money from sales of The Master Chief Collection.

As we said before, beginning today, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4, and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary will all be available via backward-compatibility on your Xbox One, Xbox One S, and (soon) Xbox One X. A huge Mjolnir-mitted high-five to the stalwart folks on the Xbox Back-compat team for partnering with us on this and helping give Halo fans even more options to experience some of their favorite franchise moments.

So Halo, Halo 3 and Halo 4 but no Halo 2 or Reach? Or were those playable before?

I mean it is good of Microsoft to do this, especially since they made all the DLC free, but I would still get the Master Chief collection for $30 or less. Getting the games running at 60FPS makes the experience much better, and they have fixed all the issues they had at launch. The only reason I could see playing these games via on BC is because you had a saved game(s) that you really wanted to keep.

So Halo, Halo 3 and Halo 4 but no Halo 2 or Reach? Or were those playable before?

Halo 2 was an OG Xbox Game, and they haven't added OG Xbox BC yet. It is supposed hit around Christmas, so it will probably get added then, and yes Reach was already BC.

Halo 2 was an OG Xbox Game, and they haven't added OG Xbox BC yet. It is supposed hit around Christmas, so it will probably get added then, and yes Reach was already BC.

Reach runs horrible in BC on Xbox One (original, haven't tried an S). I hope the One X fixes this as Reach isn't almost unplayable in some parts of the game.

I'm not quite sure why this is necessary with the perfectly serviceable Master Chief Collection, but alright.

Reach runs horrible in BC on Xbox One (original, haven't tried an S). I hope the One X fixes this as Reach isn't almost unplayable in some parts of the game.
it runs fine on all versions on xbox one they have patched that game a lot it runs great now.

I'm not quite sure why this is necessary with the perfectly serviceable Master Chief Collection, but alright.

If you happen to be someone with the 360 discs who didn't buy the MC collection this will probably do you fine. Granted you can get the MC collection pretty cheap now but still.

I probably wouldn't have bought or played Halo 3, 4 or 5 if the XBox One S I bought hadn't come with them. Perfectly decent games, if a bit repetitive and difficult to follow story-wise.

Reach is already playable on Xbox One. I was able to install it a few months ago. Sounds like they are a little behind, besides that, i have the master chief collection and don't understand why they would create the but then again it nice for those who already own the classics and don't want to re-buy the whole collection again.

Still havent played a single Halo game, besides a little of the original in a 4 way split screen mode for one evening with friends. Bring the damn games to PC and I will buy them.

If they had never brought them over people would bitch that fucking Microsoft just wants to make people buy the same game again. They bring it over and people bitch that they made it BC.

it runs fine on all versions on xbox one they have patched that game a lot it runs great now.

Awesome! Thank you for that, I had no idea they were still fixing BC titles. I finally have a reason to brush the dust of the Xbone again :)

Back