Microsoft Adding New Features to Windows 8

now if they can just listen to their customer base and put the start menu back for people who want a traditional desktop.....

I don't get what Microsoft is trying to do with Windows 8. So many features they are adding/changing involve Windows Explorer. Yet at the same time they are trying really hard to get you to stop using Windows Explorer.

I honestly don't know what the hell they are thinking.

I don't get what Microsoft is trying to do with Windows 8. So many features they are adding/changing involve Windows Explorer. Yet at the same time they are trying really hard to get you to stop using Windows Explorer.

I honestly don't know what the hell they are thinking.

I'm seeing a highly polarized disparity with some of the changes. It's almost like multiple teams are changing different aspects of 8 but not having a single goal to work towards. I'm not sure that they're really listening to criticism all that much with this ongoing chaos.

Microsoft is not trying to get you to stop using Explorer. I've been using 8 since consumer preview hit and the new explorer features are excellent. I can't wait for this thing to get closer to release, as my only issues are some beta driver problems.

Nice change. Too bad I will probably skip 8. I'll catch up in 9. ;)

Funny with the stripping and adding.

The other thread said we are "striping" features. ;)

A typo, yes, but if I think about it, that may be an accurate summation of what is described in the thread - a particular feature is now striped across two different things, the OS and the media add on.

Awesome that they're fixing some of those features. That clusterfuck tornado of a GUI will have to go, though, if they want me to buy Windows 8. There's shit from so many visual styles, past and present, mixed together in Windows 8 it's ridiculous.

Maybe its just me, but were I to have everyone working on one OS, I would have them all in one open plan building so they can all communicate and understand what the goals are, whats changed, what can be done better or needs to be nixed, etc. Leads in the middle, facing out toward their teams, segmented against the walls into groups.

But you watch these videos from microsoft and everyone is in an individual office as large as my desk. Who knows where the hell the other people even on their team even are on campus. It's a rather stupid way to organize something as large as development of an OS.

Windows reflects the completely scatterbrained design process and always has. Very sad.

Maybe its just me, but were I to have everyone working on one OS, I would have them all in one open plan building so they can all communicate and understand what the goals are, whats changed, what can be done better or needs to be nixed, etc. Leads in the middle, facing out toward their teams, segmented against the walls into groups.

But you watch these videos from microsoft and everyone is in an individual office as large as my desk. Who knows where the hell the other people even on their team even are on campus. It's a rather stupid way to organize something as large as development of an OS.

Windows reflects the completely scatterbrained design process and always has. Very sad.

This is quite laughable.

This is quite laughable.

yeah, it's laughable. I mean windows comes out so incredibly perfect every time, right? with no fundamental flaws etc. I mean its not like whole releases suck complete ass. Oh wait, they do. Your comment is laughable. I mean hell, have you actually USED Windows?

Lets do one small example: The most useful aspect of making Win7 work how you want it to is GodMode, and you have to be a knowledgeable user to actually know this exists, and get it working. Sure, those options/settings are available throughout the OS, but someone at Microsoft got tired of going all over the place to set them, so we end up getting thrown a bone. This SCREAMS 'fundamentally flawed'.

Last edited:
It's almost like how the even numbered Star Trek movies were the good ones and the odd numbered ones were terrible; every other Windows OS release is awful - Win8, Vista, WinME vs Win7 and WinXP (I don't think I want to call anything before WinXP "good").

yeah, it's laughable. I mean windows comes out so incredibly perfect every time, right? with no fundamental flaws etc. I mean its not like whole releases suck complete ass. Oh wait, they do. Your comment is laughable. I mean hell, have you actually USED Windows?

Lets do one small example: The most useful aspect of making Win7 work how you want it to is GodMode, and you have to be a knowledgeable user to actually know this exists, and get it working. Sure, those options/settings are available throughout the OS, but someone at Microsoft got tired of going all over the place to set them, so we end up getting thrown a bone. This SCREAMS 'fundamentally flawed'.

Do you know how many people work on Windows? Do you think they all live in the US, or have the ability to?

It's almost like how the even numbered Star Trek movies were the good ones and the odd numbered ones were terrible; every other Windows OS release is awful - Win8, Vista, WinME vs Win7 and WinXP (I don't think I want to call anything before WinXP "good").

Thats just wroong and people keep posting it. :p

2000 was good, so was XP (at the time). 95 was good at the time, so was 98. There wasn't anything wrong with vista other than hardware requirements and third party drivers which is why it got bad press.

ME was bad because it was rushed, and windows 8 right now is pretty terrible. But this is pre release, and theres still time for them to backpeddle and fix their shit, or face huge damage to the companies reputation. All they really have to do, is make all the new unpopular crap optional (metro), stop focusing on a non existant user group (windows tablets) and stop this missing content availible for extra money rubbish. There isn't any big advantage over 7 so you can't really fuck around with people as much as they are. Hey we improved a small number of things but messed up a load of others, its full price and youll have to pay other micro transactions! Please "upgrade"! :(

Do you know how many people work on Windows? Do you think they all live in the US, or have the ability to?

The core aspects of development should be done in the environment described, with strict assignments for anything being distributed away from the core team. Windows sucks folks. We all know it. Stop apologizing for it. People might not like some aspects of how OSX functions, but from everything I've seen it's dramatically smaller than windows in footprint, contains a widespread array of technical enhancements/accelerations, is actually nice to look at, etc. Why can't Microsoft field as competent a package?

Last edited:
The core aspects of development should be done in the environment described, with strict assignments for anything being distributed away from the core team. Windows sucks folks. We all know it. Stop apologizing for it. People might not like some aspects of how OSX functions, but from everything I've seen it's dramatically smaller than windows in footprint, contains a widespread array of technical enhancements/accelerations, is actually nice to look at, etc. Why can't Microsoft field as competent a package?

Keep trollin' trollin' trollin'.

"nice to look at" is subjective, and "widespread array of technical enhancements/accelerations" is way too vague. Next you're going to tell us how Unix is Inherently Secure, right? Not everyone thinks like you do, I personally think Win 7 is much better than Mac OS X, it's far cheaper to buy into, has far more/better apps/games to me, and has far better hardware support. Why can't Apple do *that*?

Last edited:
"nice to look at" is subjective, and "widespread array of technical enhancements/accelerations" is way too vague. Next you're going to tell us how Unix is Inherently Secure, right? Not everyone thinks like you do, I personally think Win 7 is much better than Mac OS X, it's far cheaper to buy into, has far more/better apps/games to me, and has far better hardware support. Why can't Apple do *that*?

Vague? OpenGL, OpenCL, Cocoa, H264, etc. Apple has very solid foundations in a variety of things that really bring an impressive desktop experience. Look at Cleartype on Windows - you turn the monitor to portrait and Cleartype doesn't work.

And lets be blunt: "nice to look at" is *not* subjective in this case. OSX looks better across the board, in every sense. I've used windows forever and I have no qualms about admitting this. How this offends some of you is beyond me.

Windows has it's advantages too, the primary one being I can simply assemble my own computers for usage with the OS. (lets ignore hackintosh tinkering for now).

This is the OS forum, I do have the right to say that if MS really screws up I can and will go elsewhere.

Thats just wroong and people keep posting it. :p

2000 was good, so was XP (at the time). 95 was good at the time, so was 98. There wasn't anything wrong with vista other than hardware requirements and third party drivers which is why it got bad press.

ME was bad because it was rushed, and windows 8 right now is pretty terrible. But this is pre release, and theres still time for them to backpeddle and fix their shit, or face huge damage to the companies reputation. All they really have to do, is make all the new unpopular crap optional (metro), stop focusing on a non existant user group (windows tablets) and stop this missing content availible for extra money rubbish. There isn't any big advantage over 7 so you can't really fuck around with people as much as they are. Hey we improved a small number of things but messed up a load of others, its full price and youll have to pay other micro transactions! Please "upgrade"! :(

Well of course that all depends on who you ask - but I pretty much agree. I had nothing but a positive experience with Vista from launch up to Windows 7. I only really switched to W7 so I could have the latest and greatest but the "superbar" kept me hooked. So far, Windows 8 simply has nothing to offer me. It seems to run fine on the versions I've tried but I am absolutely hating the insane mess of a GUI the OS has. It's so damned ugly I can't stand it. They have Aero mixed with Metro mixed with Ribbon mixed with other random leftovers from the past. If Windows 8 had some sort of unified GUI then I'd think about upgrading when the time comes.

So far, Windows 8 simply has nothing to offer me. It seems to run fine on the versions I've tried but I am absolutely hating the insane mess of a GUI the OS has. It's so damned ugly I can't stand it. They have Aero mixed with Metro mixed with Ribbon mixed with other random leftovers from the past..

How does a company that makes as much money as MS actually develop something this horrid? I wonder if theres ever that moment of realization where they stand around and go "oh Sh*t"

Vague? OpenGL, OpenCL, Cocoa, H264, etc. Apple has very solid foundations in a variety of things that really bring an impressive desktop experience. Look at Cleartype on Windows - you turn the monitor to portrait and Cleartype doesn't work.

And lets be blunt: "nice to look at" is *not* subjective in this case. OSX looks better across the board, in every sense. I've used windows forever and I have no qualms about admitting this. How this offends some of you is beyond me.

Windows has it's advantages too, the primary one being I can simply assemble my own computers for usage with the OS. (lets ignore hackintosh tinkering for now).

This is the OS forum, I do have the right to say that if MS really screws up I can and will go elsewhere.

Yes poor little victim you do have the right to go elsewhere, and I have the right to tell you you are making stuff up.

Windows has those things or equivalents. Windows has OpenGL, OpenCL (plus a lot of other similar GPU techs), H264 (I mean seriously?), and so on, it doesn't have Cocoa but that's just the Mac API like Win32, some programmers say it's nice others say it's not, not sure what the point of bringing that up is. Also not sure what the cleartype issue is but even if true that affects what, 0.1% of users?

You can continue to argue through contradiction, but it is indeed subjective to say Mac OS X looks nicer, it can not be benchmarked or qualitatively analyzed. I think Win 7/8 looks nicer, and there is no way to settle it so it's merely subjectiveness. Underlining your opinion is about as useless as it gets.

And who do you think you are 'offending', you came to an OS forum where different people write what they think and seem to be of the opinion that no one is allowed to disagree with you. You might want to try a mac advocacy blog or something if that's what you want.

Yes poor little victim you do have the right to go elsewhere, and I have the right to tell you you are making stuff up.

Windows has those things or equivalents. Windows has OpenGL, OpenCL (plus a lot of other similar GPU techs), H264 (I mean seriously?), and so on, it doesn't have Cocoa but that's just the Mac API like Win32, some programmers say it's nice others say it's not, not sure what the point of bringing that up is. Also not sure what the cleartype issue is but even if true that affects what, 0.1% of users?

You can continue to argue through contradiction, but it is indeed subjective to say Mac OS X looks nicer, it can not be benchmarked or qualitatively analyzed. I think Win 7/8 looks nicer, and there is no way to settle it so it's merely subjectiveness. Underlining your opinion is about as useless as it gets.

And who do you think you are 'offending', you came to an OS forum where different people write what they think and seem to be of the opinion that no one is allowed to disagree with you. You might want to try a mac advocacy blog or something if that's what you want.

How exactly am I of the opinion no one is allowed to disagree with me? You're simply bitter that I'm saying OSX is pretty nice for what it is. And seriously here, you're comparing a DirectX desktop to an OpenGL one? lol. There's a reason the artistic community flocks to macs, its not just the hardware design, the OS itself is aesthetically pleasing. Stop being so overwhelmingly bitter. I didn't kick your dog.

Keep in mind I am running Win7.

edit:
And hey, it's not just me!

It's so damned ugly I can't stand it. They have Aero mixed with Metro mixed with Ribbon mixed with other random leftovers from the past.

Last edited:
How exactly am I of the opinion no one is allowed to disagree with me? You're simply bitter that I'm saying OSX is pretty nice for what it is. And seriously here, you're comparing a DirectX desktop to an OpenGL one? lol. There's a reason the artistic community flocks to macs, its not just the hardware design, the OS itself is aesthetically pleasing. Stop being so overwhelmingly bitter. I didn't kick your dog.

Keep in mind I am running Win7.

How am I bitter? And the reason I think you are of the opinion that no one is allowed to disagree with you is because you whine when they do. You seem to be the one that is bitter, that not everyone fawns over Mac OS X like it was handed to computer users by God. And yes I am seriously comparing DirectX to OpenGL (if that's how you want to frame it), and will continue to do so until you or someone else can show some real benefit from using opengl that can not be attained on directx. As far as the artistic community, well they also flock to starbucks, I guess they make the best coffee in the world...(tastes like I imagine dog urine to taste personally.) I can not understand why you think someone disagreeing with you and asking for clarification and correcting you're baseless generalizations is bitter, care to explain (or maybe you can just keep making us "LOL" with your dog kicking jokes, ad nausiem. :rolleyes:)

I don't think it's fair to say that it's NOT subjective. I mean it really depends on who you ask. Some people will take the classic Windows visual style over Aero or Aqua any day. I like the default Aqua style in OS X better than the default Aero style in Windows - but I like the Soft7 2.0 visual style for Windows 7 better than Aqua for OS X. See what I mean?

How does a company that makes as much money as MS actually develop something this horrid? I wonder if theres ever that moment of realization where they stand around and go "oh Sh*t"

I'm really not sure. I mean honestly I don't have that many issues with Windows 8 outside of the GUI clusterfuck problem. But yes, with that said, I'm very surprised that MS hasn't sat down and said to themselves, "Holy shit...this is ugly!". I've said this before: I do like Aero and I especially like the Metro design philosophy - but not when they're both thrown randomly together in one OS. If they developed W8 from the ground up with the Metro style, then I'd be very pleased. The flat, simple nature of Metro is very attractive to me, but it just does not work when it's combined with a fat, three-dimensional style like Aero. Then put Ribbon on top of everything and it's just gets even worse. I'm tired of them carrying over various random elements from their old OS'es.

How am I bitter? And the reason I think you are of the opinion that no one is allowed to disagree with you is because you whine when they do. You seem to be the one that is bitter, that not everyone fawns over Mac OS X like it was handed to computer users by God. And yes I am seriously comparing DirectX to OpenGL (if that's how you want to frame it), and will continue to do so until you or someone else can show some real benefit from using opengl that can not be attained on directx. As far as the artistic community, well they also flock to starbucks, I guess they make the best coffee in the world...(tastes like I imagine dog urine to taste personally.) I can not understand why you think someone disagreeing with you and asking for clarification and correcting you're baseless generalizations is bitter, care to explain (or maybe you can just keep making us "LOL" with your dog kicking jokes, ad nausiem. :rolleyes:)

Is this what you've spent 9 years doing? Sitting here telling people they 'whine' because they disagree with you? Exaggerating the scope of others posts in a misguided attempt to troll them into open insults so you can eagerly press that little notify button? (seriously, the "handed to computer users by God" was really stretching it).

Tell me, did you rabidly defended the Playskool look of Windows XP as well? edit: Can ANYONE defend Playskool XP?

Microsoft makes tremendously bad design decisions for such a large company. I'm far from the only one that thinks so. If you can't see it I pity you, and we will never agree.

Is this what you've spent 9 years doing? Sitting here telling people they 'whine' because they disagree with you? Exaggerating the scope of others posts in a misguided attempt to troll them into open insults so you can eagerly press that little notify button? (seriously, the "handed to computer users by God" was really stretching it).

Tell me, did you rabidly defended the Playskool look of Windows XP as well? edit: Can ANYONE defend Playskool XP to me?

Microsoft makes tremendously bad design decisions for such a large company. I'm far from the only one that thinks so. If you can't see it I pity you, and we will never agree.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Obviously you are more interested in psych-profiling people you know nothing about than discussing OSes, so why don't you go post in gen-may or where-ever else that is appropiate, or just stick to technical facts.

And it hardly matters what I think of XP's Luna theme, I really didn't mind it at the time, though the visual styles that came out later, including some from MS itself were much nicer. But what are we going to do, wax nostalgic all day? This has nothing to do with Win 8 which I think looks and functions great. Whether Luna was the best theme ever or the worse theme ever has absolutely no bearing on Windows 8.

And I never said you were the only one who didn't like Windows 8, but you're the main one in this thread and you have posted a mix of subjectiveness, vagueness, and outright lies (Mac having OpenGL, h264, etc. but Windows not.) Those are my issues. you can sit there and say you hate Win 8 all you like but I draw a line at those things.

all of windows in one building? LAWL
with the devs, testers, PMs,OPS team,test labs,productions labs.....nope wouldnt ever fit.
would take a building the size of the world trade center.

i worked in windows for 4 years and trust me when i say that it would never happen and would not work well for anyone even if it did.

all of windows in one building? LAWL
with the devs, testers, PMs,OPS team,test labs,productions labs.....nope wouldnt ever fit.
would take a building the size of the world trade center.

i worked in windows for 4 years and trust me when i say that it would never happen and would not work well for anyone even if it did.

I think you missed the 'core' aspect of that comment.

article said:
We’ve all experienced the frustration that can be caused by an unexpected chkdsk that pops up while restarting a computer at home or a server at the office.

Huh? I haven't seen an unexpected chkdsk popup since the Win9x days (save for a random encounter with an XP machine formatted with FAT32).

I give up, you people enjoy the Gumbo mess which is Windows 8. I notice no one bothered to defend Playskool XP. Or Windows ME, for that matter.
Yes Microsoft is infallible, you've got me there.

Please point out where we said MS is infallible. And what led you to bring up OSes that are over 10 years old in a thread about an OS that is being released later this year?

Please point out where we said MS is infallible. And what led you to bring up OSes that are over 10 years old in a thread about an OS that is being released later this year?

It just shows that the roller coaster of quality from MS continues. Are you seriously asking me why aspects of previous horrendous design decisions are comparable to current horrendous design decisions?

You'd think the company making the OS that runs the largest majority of the worlds computers would make better product, then and now.

H3qRL.gif

Last edited:
Back