Microsoft acquires ZeniMax Media and Fallout maker Bethesda for $7.5 billion

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft...a-and-fallout-maker-bethesda-for-7-5-billion/

Microsoft's Xbox team significantly expanded its list of game development studios on Monday, announcing the purchase of ZeniMax Media for $7.5 billion in cash. The entertainment company owns several industry-leading game developers, including Bethesda Softworks, the maker of the post-apocalyptic Fallout games and the fantasy series the Elder Scrolls. It also owns id Software, known for its Doom, Rage and Wolfenstein shooting game franchises.

The move grows the number of in-house Xbox game development studios to 24, up from 15 earlier, and giving it control of some of the game industry's most popular franchises.

Good, maybe we'll see new overlords turn that company around...or Maybe microsoft just wants a new version of Skyrim for HoloLens or something :p

Very interesting. MS basically only had Halo, Gears, and Forza for years. This is a pretty big deal. At the very least TES and Fallout are huge franchises. Not sure Doom and Quake are what they were, but people still know 'em.

Is this good or bad for the community
Likely good for Xbox fanboys and bad for the community. Unless Microsoft does the same thing they did when they bought Minecraft and don't make anything exclusive.

From a game quality perspective it'll matter how much changes internally at Bethesda and id.

So that means Quakecon is now owned by Microsoft. I wonder if they decide to do anything with that...?

Likely good for Xbox fanboys and bad for the community. Unless Microsoft does the same thing they did when they bought Minecraft and don't make anything exclusive.

From a game quality perspective it'll matter how much changes internally at Bethesda and id.
Can't make Bethesda any worse lol, maybe we will actually see a new elder scrolls game this decade now.

Fallout 76 was tough to consume / digest :(

both, but only time will tell.. microsoft has made a huge push into the gaming market again the last few years but this time they seem to actually give a crap unlike during the xbox and xbox 360 days but who knows how long that'll last.

Interesting tidbit - this includes Arkane. Their two upcoming titles are both PS5 exclusives. At least on the console.

Not really. Bethesda makes buggy garbage games.
To each their own. I know their games are buggy and I hate how Bethesda does their thing but I do find fun in their games. At least I find fun from the modding community which is second to none. Like was said we can hope we get a consistent Obsidian influence on Bethesda IPs now.

Good for Game Pass subscribers, which covers PC and Xbox gamers; the value proposition of GP just went way up. Most likely the end of multiplatform Fallout and TES releases (and of course their other less popular IPs), so it's "bad" for Playstation-only and Nintendo-only owners.

Bethesda only made good games when they were single player and the players could mod / bug fix it themselves. The company wasn't responsible for much of the success that Fallout or Skyrim ended up having IMO.

The last half dozen of those games were hugely successful on the consoles. That might have been true back in the Daggerfall and Morrowind days, but not recently.

Microsoft will use this to push subscriptions and XBox. MS hates PC games because they don't get paid for them

This feels like a really good thing. Bethesda was loosing its edge, this may very well put it back on track.

Back