Microsoft: 500M Will Run Windows 8 In 2013

HardOCP News

[H] News
Steve Ballmer is predicting that 500 million people will be using Windows 8 by the end of 2013. If you ask me, I think it will take a LOT to get people to upgrade from Windows 7. What do you think?

Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer predicts more than 500 million people will be using Windows 8 by the end of next year, reports AFP. Ballmer, who was speaking at a forum in Seoul, South Korea, also expects Windows 7 to hit the 350 million device milestone later this year.

No way in hell I'm switching to Windows 8. I HATED the consumer preview of it that I tested here in the office. Besides, Windows 7 is stable, (relatively) secure, and does everything I want... why would I needlessly "upgrade" it?

It's possible. I have a feeling these hybrid tablet/laptop ultra books running W8 are going to be a smash hit. While I own a tablet, I never use it... Its just a cumbersome phone

If 500 million non business customers buy a new PC in 2013, or 2013 magically becomes the year of the Windows tablet, MS will hit that number.

I don't think your average consumer is going to see the benefit of Windows 8 over Windows 7. This is worse than the Windows Vista upgrade if you ask me.

Windows 7 has been awesome and unless they have a different plan for the UI then I don't think I'll be going to Windows 8 unless benchmarks show some awesome performance improvements or hardware sound is returned.

No way in hell I'm switching to Windows 8. I HATED the consumer preview of it that I tested here in the office. Besides, Windows 7 is stable, (relatively) secure, and does everything I want... why would I needlessly "upgrade" it?

Microsoft is not counting on you (and other PC users) to upgrade to Windows 8-in reality, outside of the PC elite, very few people bother changing the operating system from whatever comes pre-installed on their systems.

Instead, they are banking on brand new devices preloaded with Windows 8 for the vast majority of sales. By the end of the year, there will be an onslaught of new portable devices flooding the market (tablets, tablet hybrids, flip/convertible laptops, etc). Whether you like Windows 8 or not, Microsoft is making the right move by focusing on integrating a touch centric interface into Windows-with desktop and laptop sales declining (and tablet sales on the rise), this is the only way Microsoft will continue to stay relevant.

Personally, I'm very excited to see some of the coming Windows 8 devices. I will probably be getting some sort of slate paired with a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers

I got just 4 words for ya: I love this company yeah!

Steve Ballmer likes to joke.

it won't happen. people have been slow to switch from XP for two reasons: it works and most don't need the new features offered in win7. there's even less new stuff in 8 to care about.

Microsoft is not counting on you (and other PC users) to upgrade to Windows 8-in reality, outside of the PC elite, very few people bother changing the operating system from whatever comes pre-installed on their systems.

Instead, they are banking on brand new devices preloaded with Windows 8 for the vast majority of sales. By the end of the year, there will be an onslaught of new portable devices flooding the market (tablets, tablet hybrids, flip/convertible laptops, etc). Whether you like Windows 8 or not, Microsoft is making the right move by focusing on integrating a touch centric interface into Windows-with desktop and laptop sales declining (and tablet sales on the rise), this is the only way Microsoft will continue to stay relevant.

Personally, I'm very excited to see some of the coming Windows 8 devices. I will probably be getting some sort of slate paired with a wireless keyboard/mouse.
Good points. I can see that running it on a slate or tablet pc would be much more acceptable than a desktop pc.

It's no coincidence that they're bringing this crap to the desktop, and that Steve Ballmer was voted the worst CEO in the world by Forbes magazine :D

Won't be 500m sales of w8 tablets. The windows 8 upgrade from w7 would have to be free or dirt cheap for that to happen or a free mendatory windows update.

Steve Ballmer , the most well known man that likes to suck on his own feet because they often end up in his own mouth.

Google's not a real company. It's a house of cards.-
Steve Ballmer.

I don't know what a monopoly is until somebody tells me. -
Steve Ballmer

"My children - in many dimensions they're as poorly behaved as many other children, but at least on this dimension I've got my kids brainwashed: You don't use Google, and you don't use an iPod." - Steve Ballmer

There are so many links to dumb ass shit that he says you could spend hours reading them all. Windows 8 will be a failure because MS is assuming everyone is using a fucking touch pad on the desktop computer. Metro GUI sucks.

Honestly, most of the hardcore PC elites will not (at first) upgrade to Windows 8 and Microsoft knows this. Their prime point of attack is the mobile sector with tablets and hybrids. Yes they will still sell PC's and the influx of All-in-One touch oriented systems is becoming desktop replacement for normal users, but I am sorry. There is no way in hell they are going to sell 500 mil in 2013. As an IT Director I am still ripping XP out of our infrastructure and I just don’t see that number becoming a reality till 2015 at earliest unless they are also including Windows phone 8 as well.

Personally I am welcoming Windows 8 so I can finally get a tablet the can do actual real world work and not just play Angry birds and update my status on Facebook.

Also for all those who hate Windows 8. There is a free program that will bring back the start menu and a reg hack that will default you to the desktop. As far as performance, Windows 8 is a lot lighter and better at managing resources then Windows 7.

Windows start menu Win8
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Ballmer's just doing his job, trying to hype sales before they start. I sincerely doubt he is correct though. I'm sticking with windows 7 until the whole "hybrid" interface goes away. I just don't understand why they want to undo all of the good things they finally did right with 7, but whatever.

Based on the CP build there is nothing compelling for me. Not gonna happen. I'm actually a little bummed.

Not bothered by this, this will be as big of a hit as Windows ME, even Vista got a warmer reception.

Steve Ballmer is predicting that 500 million people will be using Windows 8 by the end of 2013.....because of OEM pre-installs.

Fixed for you.

They'll use it because it comes pre-installed on the PC, not because they HAVE to have Windows8 because they love it so much and have to buy it right away.

Only reason I will upgrade is if there's a tangible gaming performance increase.

Windows 7 is great. Not sure I want to upgrade.

I tried Windows 8, not a big fan. Maybe if they brought back the start button and the all programs tab, I would consider it.

Well everyone needs to remember that this is a Consumer Preview and not the real thing. I have seen some of the new updates/changes that are in some of the later builds and you will see in the RC coming June/July time frame. They added a lot more functionality to several of the integrated programs which changed my overall experience in a positive way.

I have been running Windows 8 in a VM daily to see how it will affect my users in daily operation and once I after I got passed my unfamiliarity with the Metro UI I found it to be actually a lot faster to operate and more efficient in daily tasks.

Granted this change is not for everyone but I would really hold the firing square off on Windows 8 till the final product is released.

I will "test" Windows 8 to see if I like it. I feel it's going to be another ME, which M$ shot themselves in the foot with. Right now I have no intentions of upgrading from 7, unless Linux does something spectacular. (I know, I know, apple/oranges)

1zyyccm.jpg

No, I will not be "upgrading" to Windows 8. I mean, look at that beast!

Windows ME was just a technological disaster and so was Windows Vista. (Even though I never had any issue with Vista) Windows 8 should not be looked as an upgrade but a platform evolution.
Most of us on these forums are not your average computer consumers (usually far from it) and in this regard usually get the short end of the stick form the industry (look at the gaming industry direction). As much we all hate to hear it but the PC is no longer the main stage holder for computer industry. Laptops, Tablets, mobility and Cloud are all pushing the PC out the door. Don’t get me wrong, I myself will never give up my PC and you will have to pry my $6000 gaming rig out of my cold dead hands before I bow to a console or tablet. But the industry is moving to be more mobile. This is what Windows 8 is all about. Windows 7 on a tablet just sucks and Android as well as iOS just fails in some many areas for mobility especially for Business.

This is why Windows 8 is the way it is. Microsoft is not screwing up, but far from it. They are actually following the masses in the direction of the industry and to become a real viable solution for this new mobile world. They had to change, plain and simple.

People never upgrade, they buy new computers. So unless they plan on selling 500 million devices that can run Windows 8 this is totally impossible.

Well, if W8 comes pre-loaded on every PC, laptop, tablet, and phone capable of running it, then there's a slight possibility this might turn out to be true. And if the upgrade price is cheap for existing users.

Given that Win 7 which is unquestioned one of the best if not the best OS Ms has ever produced has yet to hit that number. I find myself laughing uncontrollably at this notion.

Well, if W8 comes pre-loaded on every PC, laptop, tablet, and phone capable of running it, then there's a slight possibility this might turn out to be true. And if the upgrade price is cheap for existing users.

It isn't and they won't :p They're still charging an arm and a leg for their windows licenses and Android and iOS are essentially free (though you can't get iOS unless you're buying Apple, it's still technically free).

I haven't tried win8 on ARM yet but I've heard it's kinda shitty. That limits their OS to x86 on tablets/phones and that also carries an Intel tax that is tacked on to the windows tax.

MS still seems to think that people won't mind paying an extra $100+ for a device that will perform roughly the same as an Android/iOS alternative with shittier app selection. They've missed the boat and as a strictly software company (pretty much) they'll always be at a loss because they have to charge for their OS. I know I'd much rather have an Android/iOS phone and tablet over a win8 one and I'd actually pay more for it. Unfortunately for MS, both options are cheaper and better.

Ballmer is balmy If He thinks that, I don't like the loss of Aero in Win8 and Metro looks ugly, He can keep It, I'm not buying it for My PCs...

Won't be 500m sales of w8 tablets. The windows 8 upgrade from w7 would have to be free or dirt cheap for that to happen or a free mendatory windows update.

Probably doing the same thing like Windows Phone 7. They'll probably make a butt load of offers. To the point where the OS will probably be free for College students and anyone working in the field of computers. If you work for Best Buy you could end up with a copy of Windows 8.

Even though Windows Phone's are dirt cheap, they aren't flying off the shelf. The same will likely be the case with Windows 8. I think that Microsoft is delusional enough to believe that enough tablets and promotions will convince people to switch. What would you do with a free copy of Windows 8?

People purchased Packard Bell computers, ME and Vista too. People like new shyt for the sake of buying new shyt. It doesnt matter that it's shyt. It's new shyt and thats all that matters.

Back