Microsft Edge is wasting my electricity

pinoy

Limp Gawd
With Startup Boost turned on in Settings I noticed my CPU usage is hitting 40% and my Ethernet is showing there's constant internet traffic even when I'm not doing anything. With Continue Running background Apps when Edge is closed turned on in Settings the usages are even more pronounced. Microsoft claims this speeds up starting the browser, but in reality I don't noticed anything substantial that will offset the constant CPU usage in the background. That's using more electricity when I'm not even using the computer. What do you think of these two settings?

You are setting constant 40% CPU usage from edge? On a modern CPU that is a lot of CPU usage, even if you were actively using the browser. If it only does it after you startup, that's probably because edge automatically updates itself pretty much as often as it can. You will see some CPU usage while that happens but only for a short period.

opera has a gaming browser that u can limit cpu resources....has some nifty features.

Is this cpu in use just a dual core cpu? Of course those of us with 16 thread cpus dont get very high usage one way or the other.

I checked my settings, since I don't really use Edge as my primary browser. Startup boost was already turned off. Thx for the info.

It's AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5 GHz
modern chrome browsers use a ton of resources....even on my laptop that uses a modern amd 8 thread model it uses that much or more when it needs to.

If you are worried about power consumption, ditch the Phenom for a Core 2 Quad and undervolt it. Or use a Chromebook or SBC w/Linux.

An M1 Mac mini is 700 bucks. Real overpriced. Your bias is strong. Where do you get a Core i9 full system for that price? Because the M1 exceeds it in performance on many tasks.

I think you're missing the point where the OP is on an 11 year old processor. If he's still on an 11 year old processor, then it begs the question of whether or not he wants to spend a lot of money fixing the problem. Suggesting a $700 alternative seems foolish in light of this scenario and inherently implies your own bias.

I'm basically using a Raspberry Pi 400 running TwisterOS for all my daily tasks now, a surprisingly capable machine that costs bugger all. Even with a USB 3.0 SSD it's still amazingly affordable.

Back