Microphone in/Out to different devices

wicked_chicken

Limp Gawd
Hello [H],

I'm in a fairly unique situation in which I need to communicate to someone in the same room with me via headset. What would be the best way to speak into my microphone, and then deliver my voice into their headset only? Would I need to use a second sound card?

Basically, I want:

The user to be able to hear me.
The user to be able to here sounds provided from the system.
Me to speak to the user without hearing myself.
Me to hear what the user hears.

Is that even possible?

This is what I would try first:

Yes, you will need two "soundcards". If your motherboard has onboard sound you can use that as one of the "soundcards". Alternatively many headsets are USB and essentially have their own built-in "soundcard".

I would then install Ventrilo, and open two copies (this can be done by adding -m to the end of the target field in the properties of the shortcut). Locate a server that you can connect to.

Configure each copy of Ventrilo to specifically use one of the soundcards/headsets on both the input and output

In this configuration:

You should be able to talk to the user, but not hear yourself (output on 2nd copy of vent configured to output to their soundcard), you already won't hear yourself via your copy. Reverse would be true also if they try to talk to you.

User should be able hear sounds from the system, as long as their "soundcard" is set as primary.

Only issue would be getting you both to hear system sounds, since ultimately one "soundcard" has to be set as primary and that is where system sounds will go (other than sounds from ventrilo, since it will be manually configured to output to a certain card). There is probably a way to output to both simultaneously but I don't know off-hand.

Back