Micron announces 960 GB SSD for under $600

these will drive prices down hard. the samsung prices are already falling.

the 2.5" ssd, which is what we're talking about, is Q1, not Q2, according to cnet. anandtech is not known for news reporting and cnet is, so I trust cnet without confirming further.

What I'd like for now is a 512GB drive costing no more than a pair of 256GB drives. I have not seen that yet, so after going from 64 to 240GB two years ago, I recently changed SSD without changing capacity, a real shame.

Well it looks like 128 Gb die is now here. 2013 is going to be a fun year. :)

i'm looking forward to the price drops so that i can move away from hdd permanently, even for storage.

likely won't happen. as large SSD prices fall spin disk will also fall to stay competitive.

likely won't happen. as large SSD prices fall spin disk will also fall to stay competitive.
Not necessarily, it depends on supply and demand. If demand for HDD dies off, I don't think prices are going to fall all that much, they'll just cut production and move to making more SSDs.

Not necessarily, it depends on supply and demand. If demand for HDD dies off, I don't think prices are going to fall all that much, they'll just cut production and move to making more SSDs.

there is plenty of room for prices on spinners to decrease.

Well people might buy less hard drives (but there is no sign of that, with NAS being more and more common, hard drives in cable/sat/dsl boxes, etc.) but companies buy more, especially cloud storage companies, and for such applications SSDs are not going to get less expensive than HDDs.

Physical constraints mean that NAND flash can't catch up to magnetic storage. A different technology might.

Ars reports that OWC is readying a 2 TB SSD, but it's going to be aimed at workstations with a workstation price.

Could be with a new SandForce controller.

2xSammy 840 500gb is almost there right now... obviously that's 2 drives though :D

I'm interested in the 240 GB mSATA version. OR perhaps the 480 GB if there's a really good sale. Can't wait to see pricing on the smaller versions.

The 500GB 840 non-pro was on sale for $320 recently ... 2x is 1000GB for $640, so 960GB for $600 isn't earth shattering at this point. Oh right, what ToddW2 already says a couple posts above. Yes, yes I do need a single $600 960GB in my $600 laptop though ... :D

Ah, good point below.

Last edited:
The 500GB 840 non-pro was on sale for $320 recently ... 2x is 1000GB for $640, so 960GB for $600 isn't earth shattering at this point. Oh right, what ToddW2 already says a couple posts above. Yes, yes I do need a single $600 960GB in my $600 laptop though ... :D

But these are single drive MLC's not TLC's which is what the 840 non-pro's have in them (which are cheaper to make). So $600 or less for a single drive MLC in that size is a really great starting point... IMHO

Back