Micron 1100 2TB SSD $254

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
Damn you, temptress...lol.
Ordered one... used the 538 points from the last two I ordered for $5.38 less off this drive. Wanted two, but the 15% coupon is only good for max $50. But I will replace the Samsung 840 Evo in one of my older PC's with two of these in RAID 0.

Got mine today.

Is it normal for the outer shell/case on these to click and seem “loose”? This is the first SSD I’ve had that makes any kind of noise when you press on it, like there’s a lot of flex and play between the two halves. Just want to make sure that’s normal and that I didn’t get one that was popped open and swapped for some BS internals, lol.

Got mine today.

Is it normal for the outer shell/case on these to click and seem “loose”? This is the first SSD I’ve had that makes any kind of noise when you press on it, like there’s a lot of flex and play between the two halves. Just want to make sure that’s normal and that I didn’t get one that was popped open and swapped for some BS internals, lol.

Mine do not feel that way. They actually feel pretty solid. More so than an EVO at least.

Mine do not feel that way. They actually feel pretty solid. More so than an EVO at least.

Thanks for the reply. I don't recall my EVOs (or any others, really) popping and clicking when squeezed, but it's probably just one of the metal tabs not lining up perfectly or something. Only thing to do at this point is plug it in and run some benchmarks to make sure they line up with what I've seen, I suppose. :)

I think you mean TB, right?

1TB = 1024GB
1GB = 1024MB
1MB = 1024KB
1KB = 1024 bytes

that's what most people think it is, but marketing magic (my assumption) has made 1TB = 1,000GB = 1,000,000MB. You must use the (cringworthy imo for some reason) TiB (tebybyte), GiB (gibybyte), and MiB (mebibyte) for proper powers-of-2

Got mine today.

Mine felt like any other SSD, over all pretty solid, but I didn't sit there and squeeze it all over etc either, so it might have well been the same....I doubt it though.

Mine felt like any other SSD, over all pretty solid, but I didn't sit there and squeeze it all over etc either, so it might have well been the same....I doubt it though.

Eh, I'm sure it's fine. Just a little disconcerting at first - I would expect a little slop in a budget brand SSD but an OEM, not so much...

When compared side by side with another SSD (I just happened to have a Corsair oops, Crucial MX300 handy), it's easy to see why it does it.

IMG_0545.jpg

The tabs/clasps on the outside of the Micron (or, at least MY particular sample) allow more "play" between the two halves. On my other SSDs, these tabs aren't visible and while I'm sure they use a similar design, maybe having them on the inside allows for a tighter fit?

Anyway, not worried about it anymore. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get a counterfeit drive (I don't buy from Rakuten much and some don't seem to be fans of theirs for whatever reason).

Last edited:
Mine finally came today. No box - just a bare drive tossed into a padded envelope. Picked up by UPS... then cross-posted over to the USPS.
It works though... but the lack of proper packaging did make me nervous when I got it
/was Rakuten selling refurbs then and just losing the original factory packaging before shipping to customers?
//will make me leery about buying from them again

Mine finally came today. No box - just a bare drive tossed into a padded envelope. Picked up by UPS... then cross-posted over to the USPS.
It works though... but the lack of proper packaging did make me nervous when I got it

Mine came the same way, though I've received SSDs that were shipped in bubble envelopes before and they've been fine. There's not much that can go wrong, other than physical damage.

/was Rakuten selling refurbs then and just losing the original factory packaging before shipping to customers?

I doubt it. These are OEM drives, so they probably never had retail packaging (as far as I'm aware). So the bare drive doesn't concern me, and I don't think I've ever seen refurbished SSDs for sale, but if you're really concerned you could check the S.M.A.R.T. data and take a peek at the power cycle count and number of power-on hours (obviously subtract your own use though).

Picked one up for my aging Samsung laptop. It's like a new rig.

what is my best choice for clone/imaging my older 240gb evo to this new drive to avoid having to do a clean install again? If i cant do it for free, ill probably just do a new install lol cant i just restore the built in image (windows backup) to the the larger disk? i just hadnt tried it that way before

what is my best choice for clone/imaging my older 240gb evo to this new drive to avoid having to do a clean install again? If i cant do it for free, ill probably just do a new install lol cant i just restore the built in image (windows backup) to the the larger disk? i just hadnt tried it that way before

I would give macrium reflect a try. Works as well as acronis but is freee!!!!

Samsung, as well as Crucial have free cloning software for SSDs on their websites. All you have to do is have one of their drives in the system and they will work.

Samsung, as well as Crucial have free cloning software for SSDs on their websites. All you have to do is have one of their drives in the system and they will work.
As it turns out the Samsung one ONLY copies to the Samsung ssd.....the crucial app doesnt want to run because the micron ssd isnt really a crucial ssd.:(

As it turns out the Samsung one ONLY copies to the Samsung ssd.....the crucial app doesnt want to run because the micron ssd isnt really a crucial ssd.:(
Acronis may have a trial version of it's software (not sure, since I've owned it for years). It's worth a try

I typically use Clonezilla these days, but I see Macrium Reflect recommended a lot on this forum so it must work well. Been a few years since I've used it, though.

For something that would accomplish the same thing as Clonezilla but with a more user-friendly GUI, you could use EaseUS ToDo to backup the 240GB drive to a spare internal/external drive and then restore to the new one.

Or use a HDD dock with a duplication feature (doubt you already have one of these on hand, though).

Plenty of options!

I typically use Clonezilla these days, but I see Macrium Reflect recommended a lot on this forum so it must work well. Been a few years since I've used it, though.

For something that would accomplish the same thing as Clonezilla but with a more user-friendly GUI, you could use EaseUS ToDo to backup the 240GB drive to a spare internal/external drive and then restore to the new one.

Or use a HDD dock with a duplication feature (doubt you already have one of these on hand, though).

Plenty of options!
The macruim option is very possible....and kinda a big download... so well see how it goes tonight....

#Edit...Macrium actually worked great!:)

Last edited:
The macruim option is very possible....and kinda a big download... so well see how it goes tonight....

#Edit...Macrium actually worked great!:)

Glad to hear that! Thanks for the update.

After letting SickBeast's post sit in the back of my mind for several days, I caved and picked up a second one for RAID 0. No real need to upgrade my CPU or GPU at this point, so might as well spend it on storage.

Glad to hear that! Thanks for the update.

After letting SickBeast's post sit in the back of my mind for several days, I caved and picked up a second one for RAID 0. No real need to upgrade my CPU or GPU at this point, so might as well spend it on storage.
LOL I'm happy to hear I'm such a good influence. :D

Ok here is the final question....... Crucial Storage Exec Momentum Cache? Use it and turn it on? Or just forget about it since it wont help in reality. I already understand that it "cheats benchmark tests" but i still feel it might help in some usage situations. Obviously if a person is Ram limited pretty badly this software would be a bad idea. But for those with 12Gb or more i feel like unused ram is wasted ram:)

Back