Microcenter: Windows 7 Upgrade Home Premium $39.99 / Professional $89.99 - Ends 6/28

(Because it's illegal for them to deny this)

Illegal? The legality of EULAs has never been tested, so there's nothing preventing them from turning you down, given that the EULA specifically says it's only valid for the machine you install it on.

Explain to me how I install an upgrade version of Windows 7 (or Vista), from scratch, without installing it twice.

My problem isn't with activation specifically, it's activation of an upgrade version from clean install (the only good way to install windows...). Understanding that isn't hard for people who can read.

But how often do you have to install completely from scratch? Who doesn't already have some version of Windows on their computer (unless they're building a new system of course)?

Well, I took off Vista Home on my daughter's computer because after upgrading it I couldn't get SP1 to install without BSOD. So, I installed Win 7 RC and it works great. When I get Win 7 Home, I doubt it will be happy to find the Win 7 RC, and it's going to be a drag to install Vista again just to install Win 7.

Illegal? The legality of EULAs has never been tested, so there's nothing preventing them from turning you down, given that the EULA specifically says it's only valid for the machine you install it on.

So..if my hardware breaks...the license is invalid? If I upgrade my machine...the license is invalid?

The reason the legality has never been tested is because they know they will lose the ability to to even put language like that in the EULA.

The "machine I install it on" is the "machine under my desk" regardless of whatever hardware is in it at the time. Even if I decommission the machine (throw it off a bridge, donate it [after I wipe the hard drive], part it out, install linux on it, whatever...]) and build a brandy-spanking-new one, it's still the "machine under my desk."

EDIT: Not to mention that MS' retarded activation scheme doesn't even prevent you from installing, from scratch, with only an upgrade license. It's an utterly pointless exercise in FUCKING IDIOCY.

/rant

He's wrong, EULA's have been tested in court. Specific portions of certain EULA's in some jurisdictions have been ruled to be overreaching, but as a general contractual agreement, EULA's are long established as lawful and legally binding.

So..if my hardware breaks...the license is invalid? If I upgrade my machine...the license is invalid?

The reason the legality has never been tested is because they know they will lose the ability to to even put language like that in the EULA.

The "machine I install it on" is the "machine under my desk" regardless of whatever hardware is in it at the time. Even if I decommission the machine (throw it off a bridge, donate it [after I wipe the hard drive], part it out, install linux on it, whatever...]) and build a brandy-spanking-new one, it's still the "machine under my desk."

EDIT: Not to mention that MS' retarded activation scheme doesn't even prevent you from installing, from scratch, with only an upgrade license. It's an utterly pointless exercise in FUCKING IDIOCY.

/rant

Um...how do you go from an OEM full version to discussing a retail upgrade disk? The former has the restriction of being used on a single computer, the latter does not.

You can't. I think the savings is worth the extra 45 minutes required for the second installation (especially since your license is now valid on a completely different machine. The same can't be said for OEM copies (though you can, apparently, sweet talk MS CS into letting you reactivate it.

There's no sweet talking required.

I use an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium. I recently swapped out my old motherboard with an EP45-UD3P, so I had to reinstall Vista HP. After installation I called Customer Support to reactivate my license, I told them exactly what I did (I swapped out motherboards and had to reinstall Windows), the ONLY thing they asked me was to verify that I was (re)installing it on exactly 1 machine. That's it. After that, he cheerfully read off my new activation number. No problems.

People keep on talking about how you can't reactviate an OEM license or how Microsoft will deny you when you try. I get the impression that the people who say this have never actually done it themselves. Yes, it probably implies something like that in the EULA, but Microsoft has clearly never put it into practice. Its not just me, countless others can recount the same experience of reactivating an OEM copy with no headache at all.

If only microcenter wasn't exactly $10 ($13 now) worth of gas to drive there and back I would have gotten it from them. I decided to pick it up from amazon with the whole free shipping and no tax.

Tempting, but going to stick with Vista and save $40, since Vista can do anything windows 7 can do.

Tempting, but going to stick with Vista and save $40, since Vista can do anything windows 7 can do.

... except for all of this, along with everything that isn't in that article yet.

That's like saying my POS Grand Am GT can do everything a Ferrari can do. Well yeah, if you mean get me from one place to another, but come on...

"Some of the new features to be included in Windows 7 include advancements in touch, speech, and handwriting recognition, support for virtual hard disks, support for additional file formats, improved performance on multi-core processors,[1] improved boot performance, and kernel improvements."

Most people don't need those extra features, and I doubt it's going to be that much faster...or is it? I doubt games will be faster :p

Just got my voucher from Microcenter today. Cost nothing, but guaranteed me a copy at the $40 price when they come in. As far as using OEM vs. Full Retail, I have been using OEM version of Vista for the last 2 years and I swap parts all the time. All I do is call back in and use the computerized activation, tell them it's on one and it gives me the code. Never been an issue. I am currently running W7 RC7200 and let me tell you, it's better than Vista, hands down. Smoother operating, more features and a smaller footprint by almost 10Gb, which is a big deal when you are using SSD's. We won't know for sure until it is out how much better it is than Vista, but i bet MS uses the information being sent back by all the copies of the RC to make sure the official release is near perfect, especially after the Vista launch fiasco.

Off-topic: I pre-ordered two copies for myself from Newegg (No MC in NM sadly), same price as Amazon. Anyone else do it this way, or was there a benefit to going with Amazon that I'm not aware of?

im stuck between getting home premium or professional. ultimate doesnt look like anything ill need, and im 99% sure home premium is fine.

but professional has windows XP virtualization mode... is it worth it?

im stuck between getting home premium or professional. ultimate doesnt look like anything ill need, and im 99% sure home premium is fine.

It might be worth it if you need xp for anything and only use 1 HD, but I already have my old xp install on another HD so I can just dual boot into it if needed.

Um...how do you go from an OEM full version to discussing a retail upgrade disk? The former has the restriction of being used on a single computer, the latter does not.

I don't know...how did the other poster go from me talking about retail disk upgrades to OEM versions?

Smoother operating, more features and a smaller footprint by almost 10Gb, which is a big deal when you are using SSD's. We won't know for sure until it is out how much better it is than Vista, but i bet MS uses the information being sent back by all the copies of the RC to make sure the official release is near perfect, especially after the Vista launch fiasco.

Are you suggesting that if you install Windows 7 on a 10gb drive you'll have 12GB of free space? ;)

Since SP2, Vista Ultimate takes up less than 9GB in the Windows directory.

I use Vista business with XP in a MS Virtual PC so I was inclined to go Win 7 Pro too. Then I found the 3.00 Beta for Virtual Box from Sun. I installed it on my other computer with Vista Home, and it runs XP as well or better then MS Virtual PC. Try it out and see if it's worth the extra money for Pro before you buy.

if we build a new system can we reinstall this or is this one of the one shot BS microsoft deals on 7 ?

if we build a new system can we reinstall this or is this one of the one shot BS microsoft deals on 7 ?

This is Upgrade, not OEM. The OEM versions are the ones (depending on who you ask) that are limited to the original system it is installed on.

Back