Microcenter WILL SHIP DEAL! Inland Professional 480GB SSD $79.99

If this is a decent drive, then totally! I just bought 3. Let's see how it goes :)

Don't be swayed by the overwhelmingly favorable reviews on the 120GB and 240GB versions of this SSD. While those SSDs use the faster, more reliable MLC NAND technology, this 480GB SSD uses the slower, less reliable TLC tech. While this delivers higher memory density, it will not deliver the kind of speed desired from modern SSDs.

Don't be swayed by the overwhelmingly favorable reviews on the 120GB and 240GB versions of this SSD. While those SSDs use the faster, more reliable MLC NAND technology, this 480GB SSD uses the slower, less reliable TLC tech. While this delivers higher memory density, it will not deliver the kind of speed desired from modern SSDs.

Seems like most companies are still pushing TLC ... Samsung 970 EVO, WD Black, etc. Both of those being very fast drives... If you want speed, you shouldn't be buying a SATA drive anyways.

Seems like most companies are still pushing TLC ... Samsung 970 EVO, WD Black, etc. Both of those being very fast drives... If you want speed, you shouldn't be buying a SATA drive anyways.
That's how I felt. And the numbers on this drive are solid for sata. You can only get so fast. And yes some drives have better synthetic benchmarks but I'm willing to bet you can't much tell the difference.

Got one! Should be much better for my steam catalog than my older 7.2k drive!

Install games on there, you don't need MLC for loading a game.

Got one! Should be much better for my steam catalog than my older 7.2k drive!

If you are on Windows 10, I have found Storage Spaces to work very well for game storage. Just keep adding SSD's in concatenate mode (JBOD). I'm up to a TB in drive space now, just doing stuff like this finding a deal and adding the drive on. It's a mix of 3 different drives and all plenty fast for loading games. And it allows you to remove drives if you have enough space to squeeze onto the other drives (like if you want to replace a drive with a bigger drive).

Last edited:
If only my Steam catalog could fit under 4 TB of space! (No, I'm not even joking on that, I've nearly stuffed up a 4 TB RAID 0 array with nothing but game data. Kinda want a bigger single HDD that isn't SMR for this exact reason.)

I was holding out to hear about whether or not these were good drives, but these appear to have DRAM caches as well as MLC on the lower-capacity models I'm looking at. 120 GB drives also don't have the 48-bit LBA problem to worry about when chucking 'em into retro computers. (Not so retro that they can't be easily adapted to SATA, of course.)

Haven't benched mine, but I installed almost 90% capacity with games.

So far so good. And if anything happens, I'm heading to microcenter.

They have great customer service

Bump, both coupon and deal are still kicking.

Picked up a 120gb to give it a try, am thoroughly satisfied. It replaced an old SSD in one tower, and the speed increase was perceptible. My numbers are close to published specs, $20 AC is a no brainer

Am grabbing two more later today, and maybe a 240gb as well.

I could lose the games installed on there, but I don't like the "warranty" if it exists. The box says 3 year warranty on ipsgproducts.com in Hilliard, Ohio like MC. That site results in an error message if you submit a warranty registration. Micro Center's e-mail says inlandproduct.com and then for warranty they send you to http://www.inlandus.com/warranty.html and that results in an error message entering the warranty information.

Mine is still working but I don't know if MC will stand by them at all. This feels like there is no warranty like a Diablotek or generic PSU in 2009.

I could lose the games installed on there, but I don't like the "warranty" if it exists. The box says 3 year warranty on ipsgproducts.com in Hilliard, Ohio like MC. That site results in an error message if you submit a warranty registration. Micro Center's e-mail says inlandproduct.com and then for warranty they send you to http://www.inlandus.com/warranty.html and that results in an error message entering the warranty information.

Mine is still working but I don't know if MC will stand by them at all. This feels like there is no warranty like a Diablotek or generic PSU in 2009.
Since Inland is their house brand, their in-store customer service might be able to help.

Otherwise, for everyone else, i found an Inland contacts page right here: http://www.inlandus.com/contact_us.html

Would I see a loading performance increase going from an 840 evo 250gb to this? Or even just stay the same? Working a new build but with ddr4 at the prices they are I might skip on Samsung for the ssd this time around.

Would I see a loading performance increase going from an 840 evo 250gb to this? Or even just stay the same? Working a new build but with ddr4 at the prices they are I might skip on Samsung for the ssd this time around.
You likely would not notice a difference. At this point, modern SSD's are fast enough to not matter.

Same price at Amazon. Sold by MC, fulfilled by Amazon or something like that.

Gonna grab the 512gb model for cheap in the m.2 version

This looks like $120 to me. This is the same price as the Crucial MX500 and the Intel 545s, both well known, solid, fast drives. Why would you choose the inland for this price? Is it actually cheaper than $120 & not showing that on the web page?

Did Crucial release an NVMe drive?

Inland m.2 is NVMe Read Speed Up to 1550 MBps. A bit faster than an MX500.

Did Crucial release an NVMe drive?

Inland m.2 is NVMe Read Speed Up to 1550 MBps. A bit faster than an MX500.
That is only in sequential IO... From what I've read in another thread modern/faster sata drivers are better at random 4k i/o than this nvme drive.

I'm using a cheap 1tb sandisk sata ssd for games and I cannot personally tell a difference in the real world performance for gaming vs my 256gb nvme m2 drive that cost nearly as much. I don't think it really matters (and for reference, I was comparing how MMOs felt as typically they are the games where I find the most advantage from SSD as there is just so many assets constantly being loaded).

NVME is wasted on gaming, you won't see much difference. . They're for production where you're writing large files frequently. I mean if you can get it for the same price then why not, but don't spend more on one expecting appreciably faster loads times etc, because you won't get them.

This looks like $120 to me. This is the same price as the Crucial MX500 and the Intel 545s, both well known, solid, fast drives. Why would you choose the inland for this price? Is it actually cheaper than $120 & not showing that on the web page?

For $120, it's a low cost risk in my book; it's a Phison E8 reference design like Lite-On MU X or Patriot Scorch; so $120 isn't quite a bad deal for 512GB? It is only an x2, but good enough for an entry level NVMe to displace a M.2 SATA or SATA 3 at similar capacity/cost.

Got mine Thursday, about to load it up.

Attachments

• IMG_20180603_095118.jpg
    IMG_20180603_095118.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 0
Bump, these deals are still active, and the 480gb model is still available to ship.

The 120gb is actually $22.99 at the moment, in-store only ... I picked another one up this morning.

I snagged 2 of the 120gb drives yesterday to throw in some aging PC's I'm going to sell. You can't beat them for the price. The next cheapest 128GB drive they had was a PNY for almost $40.

For $120, it's a low cost risk in my book; it's a Phison E8 reference design like Lite-On MU X or Patriot Scorch; so $120 isn't quite a bad deal for 512GB? It is only an x2, but good enough for an entry level NVMe to displace a M.2 SATA or SATA 3 at similar capacity/cost.

Did Toshiba manufacture the flash memory? Is this like a Kingston A1000? They only have 480GB and it's $152, not gouging but the 32GB would be nice. MyDigitalSSD SBX is $140 on Amazon.

I need another few 120's. Too bad I live hours from a MC. Maybe I'll wait for amazon to have them in stock again. These are awesome for aging computers.

Just one word of warning about the 240GB version - it does not appear to have any power loss protection. I picked one up for a game machine build. Over one weekend I was able to corrupt the drive 3 times while dialing in the machine's overclock. The motherboard, an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme will power off to recover from a bad OC. I've never seen this behavior with a spinner, Samsung 830 SSD, or Micron BX or BX SSDs. Reinstalling the OS was able to recover the drives in two occasions. One one occasion, it took wiping the partitions under Linux to be able to install Win7.

IMO, the drive may be okay for a laptop where power loss is unlikely, but I was uncomfortable enough with it that I returned mine.

Just my $0.02.

-Mike

Back