Microcenter ins-stock vs. on web site

JRS

Limp Gawd
For those of you who know your nearest Microcenter well, how accurate is their web site stock vs. what is available in the store, not quantity but make/model? I mostly ask with respect to motherboards - if, for example, the Microcenter shows 10 z77 motherboard models on the web site for your location, if you go in the store, how many actually different models would you think you'd find? 10? ~12? ~15? more?

Thanks.

They website is normally accurate for me but staff at my local microcenter refuse to help you locate anything. If its an open box or uncommon item you're on your own.

Last time they refused to help me locate something I just ordered for in-store pickup from my phone. All of a sudden a guy started scouring the store for my parts and after about 20 mins and a few other reps help he located them. Then I got an email saying my pickup was ready.

the santa clara microcenter is just like that. its just a few slow potheads working in the computer parts department.

I've been to MC in Santa Clara, almost everyday for the past week and they have been plenty helpful to me. Now Frys', that's another story. If you want like negative customer service (not even zero, but negative) then you go to fry's.

MC in Dallas, TX reps are usually fairly helpful in the parts department. Really the only time I've had trouble getting help is when the place is swamped.

To answer you question it seems like the website stock inventory system only updates a couple times a day though. I've seen X number online and then after driving there there was 1-2 less. So basically its safe if there's 10 there but if it shows 1-2 I'd call first before making the trip.

The Denver MC will help you find things, which is nice because it's impossible to find anything in that place. I've found that 1 in stock is code for out of stock though.

The Denver MC will help you find things, which is nice because it's impossible to find anything in that place. I've found that 1 in stock is code for out of stock though.

That's been my limited experience there as well - within 1-2 minutes of me hitting an aisle, someone will ask me if I need help. I live in the Springs but am working in the DTC area for the next couple of months, even then with my current schedule it is hard for me to make time to get to the MC and have any time to browse, plus me browsing in there would be dangerous to my wallet. I'm trying to get any idea if I need to check their current physical inventory vs. going with what is on the website and just picking it up. I think I need to see for myself which z77 motherboards are physically there and not limit myself to what I find on the web site.

I've noticed on the MC web site in general, that using the web site links and general search is an iffy proposition. There are a few z77 motherboards that do not show up by going to that category, I can only get them to show if I search for 1155 motherboards (and surf through all socket 1155's), but at least one z77 board will not show up if I search for z77 motherboards.

I've been to MC in Santa Clara, almost everyday for the past week and they have been plenty helpful to me. Now Frys', that's another story. If you want like negative customer service (not even zero, but negative) then you go to fry's.

Not showing i7-3770k in stock at santa clara though :-(

My favorite thing at the fry's down the street from that MC is when I pick up something and the salesperson asks to put a sticker on it... just because they see it in my hand. I know they are hunting for commissions but if you did not help me, and instead slow me down, I feel you should not get compensated.

One of the MC in Santa clara store employees has been very nice and courteous. I tend to divert away from employees about tech advice. Only talk to them when i need to check availability.

Btw, one of the MC employee mentioned that they get stock either wednesday or saturday. So if they are out of stock now, chances are they might get a few this saturday.

Strange, I was at the SC store today and picked up an 3770K that I ordered online and went to pick up. They were on the shelves that I saw.

Now, their Z77 motherboards such as the ASUS boards are all OOS. Helping a friend build his Ivy Bridge setup this weekend.

They website is normally accurate for me but staff at my local microcenter refuse to help you locate anything. If its an open box or uncommon item you're on your own.

Last time they refused to help me locate something I just ordered for in-store pickup from my phone. All of a sudden a guy started scouring the store for my parts and after about 20 mins and a few other reps help he located them. Then I got an email saying my pickup was ready.
I think you're supposed to wait for the e-mail that says your pickup is ready. :p

I'm not sure how reliable any store's "We have X amount of items in stock" are, but I've never had an issue with the few things I ordered for in-store pickup at MC. I don't think I've ordered a motherboard though, they're usually cheaper elsewhere since I've missed out on the some of the mb specials they've had. However, I did get my 2600k there.

From what I've been told, MC's website updates their stock for new arrivals at around 12Am local time. It seems accurate too as a few days ago I purchased an i5 before it was entered into the website's inventory. Out of curiosity I kept checking their website for an inventory update and it did actually update around 12.

Their inventory system does seem to keep track relatively well what's been sold and what hasn't, but the problem is that like any retail store during business hours things tend to get moved around and misplaced which can make locating things difficult.

Staff is always willing to find anything for you at the store in Mayfield Heights Ohio. They had one open box CHV not long ago, and the guy looked around for 20 minutes to find it for me.

As for online stock, its accurate at that store unless they just got a new shipment in that day.

Really depends, customer service really varies store to store when it comes to frys and i am sure it will be the same at microcenter.

I work at frys and guys are usually pretty good here but some will just try to rip you off but its funny just because they are older ladies everyone seems to believe them, lol. Some customers are equally bad, like ignoring me straight up when I know they fucking need help and even if I get 0 commission on the item. Fucking pisses me off! Or when I I helped a guy for like 5 mins and grabs the item and I asked if I could write it up and he is like naaa it's alright I know you guys get commission. I was like ok dude, if that makes you feel better.

I never actually write anyone up without helping them. This comes with the job stress so I don't let it get to me, 9 outta 10 people are really cool so I dont let it get to me.

Last edited:
Fucking pisses me off! Or when I I helped a guy for like 5 mins and grabs the item and I asked if I could write it up and he is like naaa it's alright I know you guys get commission.

Wow, people actually do that? What a dick move, lol. As many times as I've been ignored in MC, having someone help me without them having to be flagged down is a definite sticker.

Wow, people actually do that? What a dick move, lol. As many times as I've been ignored in MC, having someone help me without them having to be flagged down is a definite sticker.

My MC guys are all pretty good, but sometimes they are a bit understaffed and busy helping the people who don't know shit about computers. That said, I ALWAYS make sure to get a sticker on my stuff before going to the checkout lines. It costs me nothing and you can see it makes their day when they get a "free" sale.

MC stock is normally pretty close to online reports, but sometimes it is a little off. It they only have 1-2, do the in-store pickup to make sure it's there for you.

yeah regarding stock vs. in-store just this past Wednesday I drove all the way over there (Duluth, ga) as their site said they had 1 Asrock Z77 Extreme4 left. The dude was helpful but he couldn't find it anywhere in the store. That has happened a few times now so that's the last time I go for anything less than 3 in stock

yeah regarding stock vs. in-store just this past Wednesday I drove all the way over there (Duluth, ga) as their site said they had 1 Asrock Z77 Extreme4 left. The dude was helpful but he couldn't find it anywhere in the store. That has happened a few times now so that's the last time I go for anything less than 3 in stock

You should always do an instore pick up in that case. It is either there or not, so you know before you go that the item will be waiting for you or you wont have to go.

Yonkers, NY MC stock is very accurate. They can't account for items that are out on the floor or in people's carts though - safer to do an in-store pickup and get a confirmation that it's been found if there's only 1 or 2 of something in stock.

I exchanged a defective video card and some other odds and ends the other day - 2 in stock on the website, and 2 were locked up in the cabinet. I checked again that night after midnight and found they were now showing out of stock.

Last edited:
Back