microcenter in Marietta had 12 cards sold like vapor

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Went down to do my usual early morning launch day run on Microcenter.

I edited this as info has changed.

12 3080s were sold at M.Cent

The people that got them camped out on the sidewalk since last night at 6pm.

Lets hope 3090 isnt this way, im betting its worse.

So if it took camping on the door step of a brick and mortar to get a card, youre totally wasting your precious limited life clock clicking f5 all nught long. Go for a hike, drink some beer, play ball with your child. This shit is not worth it chasing geek gear, not like this.

Last edited:
Why would they cause a shortage? Can't make margin on products you don't ship. Can't generate revenue on products you don't ship. That doesn't make any kind of business sense. It's not like they wouldn't sell as many as they wanted at the list price anyway; there's not currently any real competition.

It was the same thing at the Dallas Microcenter from what I understand. Microcenter employees confirmed yesterday that this was all they had in stock.

Denver had 30+ this morning but a line all the way down the shopping center. I stopped counting at 100 people in line.

I know a BB here got 2 in stock and they went to employees.

I don't get the launch day rush.

There was a leak yesterday or the day before when someone ran a bench algorithm to test mining functionality - and the cards performed well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...reum-crypto-mining-performance-leaks-out/amp/

For what $13/mon coin profit at $75 power bill?

Its better to just buy coin low and sell it high. I did that and it bought me some ships on star citizen lmao

But not to get off topic I am seriously hoping that the price tag of the 3090 makes launch day rush a non event.

Denver had 30+ this morning but a line all the way down the shopping center. I stopped counting at 100 people in line.

I didn’t go camp for that reason. It’s a video card. There will be more.

I don't think Best Buy got many at all. My local BB had none and the guy told me they were even sure if they were going to get any at all. This is definitely the weirdest launch I can remember. This is also the first time I've ever been financially able to buy a high end card on launch day so maybe they all go like this but I kinda doubt it.

From the leaks i have seen, the 5700 are still more efficient. 52mh/sec at 115watts (5700) vs 80mh/sec at 250watts? (3080) I now see why the Radeon Vii is selling for more used then a 2080ti.

My Microcenter here in Tustin, CA has a long line going around the block. People are seen with camping chairs. This is crazy. I didn't even bother getting in line.

Why would they cause a shortage? Can't make margin on products you don't ship. Can't generate revenue on products you don't ship. That doesn't make any kind of business sense. It's not like they wouldn't sell as many as they wanted at the list price anyway; there's not currently any real competition.

They want you to order them direct from NVIDIA where it seem the price is $999 , not $699...

For what $13/mon coin profit at $75 power bill?

Its better to just buy coin low and sell it high. I did that and it bought me some ships on star citizen lmao

But not to get off topic I am seriously hoping that the price tag of the 3090 makes launch day rush a non event.
I don't recall the price tag on the 2080 Ti being that big a deal breaker for the folks who wanted one bad enough to spend all night camping in a parking lot.

its like people who line up for every new Apple phone launch and then fights break out when they run out. Honestly just wait a few weeks, its not the end of the world if you dont get it right away. Consumer culture is getting toxic.

its like people who line up for every new Apple phone launch and then fights break out when they run out. Honestly just wait a few weeks, its not the end of the world if you dont get it right away. Consumer culture is getting toxic.
Well this is different. People that line up for iphone do it to be trendy. "Look at muh - I gotta pink one yahh"

Apple never has shortages like this on launch. People dont camp apple knowing they have a 3% chance to get a phone. But with GPUs its that bad. And I havent seen one fight break out over gpus. Phones are really a boring thing to be honest. People camping for a phone color in my opinion is a total self absorbed douche. But GPUs are impossibly hard to get and if you want one you have to literally wait in the bread line.

Well this is different. People that line up for iphone do it to be trendy. "Look at muh - I gotta pink one yahh"

Apple never has shortages like this on launch. People dont camp apple knowing they have a 3% chance to get a phone. But with GPUs its that bad. And I havent seen one fight break out over gpus. Phones are really a boring thing to be honest. People camping for a phone color in my opinion is a total self absorbed douche. But GPUs are impossibly hard to get and if you want one you have to literally wait in the bread line.

That post didn't age well lol. I didn't realize how bad supply was going to be for GPUs this year.

Back