Microcenter: i7-4790k for $250, i5-4690k for $180

• Thread starter Deleted member 89018
  • Start date
The 4770k hit the $200 mark around this time last year, wouldn't be surprised if this hit it too.

Was hoping their CPU/Mobo combo also showed a bigger discount. I'll just wait til BF

Was hoping their CPU/Mobo combo also showed a bigger discount. I'll just wait til BF
Have you seen some Mini-ITX combos of late? I'm thinking of picking up one of the i7s, even though it would be overkill for my micro-build. :D

Would love a combo deal though.

I'm wondering if Tustin will run these sales. Sometimes they say it's out of stock but in reality it's in stock but at a higher price.

Get the 4790k. Trying to save 70 bucks on a part you will likely keep for 3 years or more is silly.

Yeah I am going to guess this will be 200 for Black Friday..

Shouldn't this go down to 199 for black friday?

This actually IS their black friday pricing - the flyer says it starts on Nov 17 and goes to Nov 30.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/29c358a7#/29c358a7/33

And they're still doing $40 off compatible motherboard with CPU purchase.

This actually IS their black friday pricing - the flyer says it starts on Nov 17 and goes to Nov 30.

Thanks bro, I'ma roll up in there hard tomorrow and get me some swag.

I'm thinking for a HTPC/gaming rig that the i5-4690K will be plenty, so looking for a good mITX board and 2x4GB sticks. Will pair it with my Gigabyte 7950 3GB I already have.

Recommendations of something good from their stock? I'm thinking of going with this bad boy: http://www.microcenter.com/product/432995/Z97_LGA_1150_mITX_Intel__Motherboard

I can suggest the Asus Z97I-Plus if you're looking for ITX - I have one in my main system and it's a solid board with a great BIOS.

Looking forward to seeing how high I can overclock one of those i7s when I pick one up on Sunday. :)

Also, when you're at MIcrocenter, ask someone back in the DIY section where they keep all this stuff if they're still doing discounts on RAM. Last time I was at one it was $40 off the motherboard if bought with a CPU, and then I think they did a further $10 off 8GB kits and $20 off 16GB kits if you bought it at the same time.

Frikkin' Microcenter, I go in there to pick up one thing and I end up spending double what I planned.

Got a recommendation on the ATX board combos?

ASUS Z97-AR LGA 1150 Intel ATX
ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 LGA 1150 ATX
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 LGA 1150 ATX
ASUS Z97-Pro Wi-Fi LGA 1150 ATX

MSI Z97-Gaming 5 1150ATX (also available, but I need optical out)

The ASUS Z97-AR, google hits telling me this is a Z97-A with a different color scheme and no video out. Does that sound correct? I was leaning toward an Asus Z97-A but it's OOS at the closest Microcenter.

Yeah agreed, this is the time to buy, the $200 deal last year was pre-Cyber Monday which may not happen again and they sold out fast, and even if it does drop to $200 you should be able to PM them within 15 days.

Plus 4770K sales weren't great at the time due to lukewarm reception from the enthusiast community, I think the 4790K overall is much better received.

Figured this might happen after I bought a 4790K for full price...

Though, I have no MC anywhere near me so I guess it's a moot point.

I'll pass for $250 then and wait for x99 to mature.

X99 BIOS situation is super-flaky atm, seems like it is the case almost across the board with all vendors. It will be some time before they get all the kinks ironed out imo, but having gone from an i7 4770K to a 5820K it is definitely a faster platform (assuming you can get the same clocks)! But yeah, given you are on X79, Z97 wouldn't be enough for you. CPU-wise you prob won't see a huge jump either but the platform upgrades would be nice coming from X79.

DDR4 prices are also still sky-high which probably won't change until Broadwell launches next year and DDR4 production ramps up.

They have the same performance in games. Save the $70 for a better video card, or your next upgrade.
In nearly every case yes but the 4790 is better in Crysis 3 as a 4690 cant even stay above 60 fps. Also some other games are close to pegging a quad at times so HT will give some breathing room especially if you leave other stuff running while gaming. And again who cares about 70 bucks if you are going to keep a cpu 3 years or more? Its better overall to have that extra breathing room over that period of time then to not. Heck some people pay more than that for just a couple games.

That article is about Broadwell-E not Broadwell.

Oops sorry - I was trying to find a release period for Broadwell and didn't see one - just a bunch of "delay" articles. Something about manufacturing glitches blowing Intel off their roadmap.

I see in their ad that the Asus z97 AR is only $85 with purchase of qualifying cpu's so hopefully the 4690k counts. I might make the 2 hour round trip this weekend. The combo will come out to ~$281 with tax if I'm lucky. The i7 is tempting but makes 1-2 fps difference in games which is mostly what I'm doing.

I see in their ad that the Asus z97 AR is only $85 with purchase of qualifying cpu's so hopefully the 4690k counts. I might make the 2 hour round trip this weekend. The combo will come out to ~$281 with tax if I'm lucky. The i7 is tempting but makes 1-2 fps difference in games which is mostly what I'm doing.

Yup that cpu counts.

It did, that's why we didn't get Broadwell this year and got the Haswell "devil's canyon" procs and a line refresh.

Desktop Broadwell is slated for 1H 2015 now, I guess early Spring. And desktop Skylake is still planned for next year too, though I'd be surprised to see them launch two architectures so closely together.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/74481-intel-broadwell-skylake-client-cpus-launching-2015/

Yeah, I meant to say Sky Lake anyways as I believe that is the next mainstream socket change which will be DDR4 only. Its probably going to be a similar situation of a disjointed launch, Intel has been launching the non-K chips first to satisfy OEMs and launching K versions later, so I believe enthusiasts on LGA1150 will be getting Broadwell-K about the same time as we see Skylake non-K parts for the enterprise on LGA1151 which will spur DDR4 adoption.

So I went yesterday and splurged like a mofo.

It looked like they had NOTHING in stock, but then the guy is all "oh yeah for you bro, its all in the back".

Bought a Corsair Hydro Series H100i = $80 AR
8GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 CL9 = $70 (combo $5 off with mobo/cpu)
Asus Z97I-Plus that deruberhanyok recommended, $119 (after $40 combo)
i7-4790K for $250

Unst! Unst! Unst!

I would love to get the i7, mobo, and h100 for that cheap. MC is a 6 hour drive for me being I am in Central California. Anyone willing to buy and ship for a old school [H] member? I can tip gratituitously :D

Yeah, I'm heading out on Sunday to grab the i7-4790k. My i5-4670k is going to live in another system that's being put together with spare parts. It isn't really intended as an "upgrade" for my main box. I just figured, since I'd have to buy a second processor anyways, might as well make sure both systems have really good ones. :)

Ducman, I think you'll like the Asus board. I've been running one for about six months now and it has been rock solid. Well, except for this weird thing where the retention clip at the end of the PCIe slot snapped off really easily. Newegg reviews from several users mentioned that, too. Thankfully it has no real effect on the system.

The built-in overclocking thing is pretty nice, too, sort of gives you an idea where to start with the tweaking.

If anyone wants one of these combos, let me know. I have helped many of my [H] friends before because I live 15 minutes from an MC.

I am contemplating picking up the 5820K for $299, but all said and done I would need to drive an hr each way to save about $70 after tax and everything. This is not counting the gas either. Or just wait until Friday because the Microcenter sale runs until Nov 30th and see what other sites have sales. Also the motherboard I want, is not even out yet, so I could not get the extra $40 or so off.

I'm wondering if Tustin will run these sales. Sometimes they say it's out of stock but in reality it's in stock but at a higher price.

I got my 4790k at the Tustin MC.. online said out of stock.. plus it was $299.. The guy said the online price is higher due to CA sales tax or some shit.. but when i bought it they asked if i want to buy a mobo for a discount, some bundle thing.. i was pissed because my mobo came in that morning from newegg.

This is real tempting. but I have stayed with my i7 920 for 6 years.. maybe broadwell will be awesome, so whats another year.

Back