MicroCenter i7-2600K+Z68 Savings Power Event

PGHammer

2[H]4U
Get an additional $80 in instant saving when buying an i7-2600K CPU and Z68-chipset LGA1155 motherboard at the same time.

Due to the savings being only applicable to the unlocked i7, instead of costing $30USD more in barebones, the unlocked i7 now costs $50 less (compared to the i7-2600 non-K).

The spread between the i7-K and i5-K goes from $100 to $20, and between i7-K and i3 goes from $180 to $100.

The spread between i5-K and i3 remains $80 (basically, the i5-K price-cut from the Summer of Sandy Bridge event @ MC remains intact).

The prospect of solving your PC's deficiency in "vitamin K" is now much easier, not to mention less expensive.

Yes, pun MUCH intended.

Great deal for those of us living close to a Microcenter. I think they had this same deal going on a week or so ago with the 2500K + z68 which was pretty awesome when you consider that you could walk away with a 2500K + a decent motherboard for under $200.

I'm still holding out for socket 2011 procs otherwise I'd be all over this. :D

Last edited:
I just bought a 2500k and Mobo for a second rig and they gave me $40 off the Mobo.

so which of these is the best buy?

Being that it has the lowest price of *all* the Z68 motherboards out there, my pick is the Biostar TZ68A+RCH ($109.99 alone, as low as $29.99 after bundle savings and $10 MIR) http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0371606

Praise - Full UEFI, full-sized ATX, CrossFire support, no slot-blockage issue with double-wide GPUs, both PCI slots are full-length, price.

Mayonnaise - no support for maximum overclocking compared to pricier motherboards, no two-way SLI support.

I have to admit, the part of me that's tired of waiting on BD (and is kind of antsy about LGA2011) is about this -> <-close to hauling ass down to MC and scoring this bundle...

Being that it has the lowest price of *all* the Z68 motherboards out there, my pick is the Biostar TZ68A+RCH ($109.99 alone, as low as $29.99 after bundle savings and $10 MIR) http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0371606

Praise - Full UEFI, full-sized ATX, CrossFire support, no slot-blockage issue with double-wide GPUs, both PCI slots are full-length, price.

Mayonnaise - no support for maximum overclocking compared to pricier motherboards, no two-way SLI support.
That Biostar board comes with a bunch of accessories, and heck if it's even just a moderate overclocker then it's the combo deal of the month imho.

It gets a 5 egg average with 16 reviews at Newegg.

Anything comparable found at the moment for i5 or i7 for those of us without Microcenter in the area?
If you haven't seen anything posted here, or at SlickDeals, then i highly doubt a comparable deal exists.

You can cobble together a warm deal by buying separates that are on sale. SuperBiiz gets the occasional deal on cpu's, then you could price shop a decent low cost 1155 mobo to go with it.

Newegg has warm deals on combos, so check those if you haven't already.

I'm in the same boat. looking for a decent mobo and 2500k setup

superbiiz has a 10$ off coupon "CHICKEN" so 205 shipped but that's worse then last weeks deal that I should have bit on

That Biostar board comes with a bunch of accessories, and heck if it's even just a moderate overclocker then it's the combo deal of the month imho.

It gets a 5 egg average with 16 reviews at Newegg.

It was the decent build quality (various review sites) and the absolutely unheard-of price (basically, same as bargain P67, and less than Z68 from anyone else, regardless of formfactor) that sealed the deal. The fact that I can now buy this board locally (two MicroCenters close by - choice of which one depends entirely on stock situation) makes the motherboard choice a snap. Even though I have (surprisingly) absolutely zero interest in i7-2600K (first, it's too pricey for what I do; second it's extreme overkill for what I do), this deal is a decided threat to the applecart - swapping i7-2600K for i3 adds $105 to the post-tax/before MIR price. (Anyone for apple sauce?)

so exactly how much is the combo?

Say I want the i7 2600+ plus the asus sabertooth mobo? What would my out the door price be?

so exactly how much is the combo?

Say I want the i7 2600+ plus the asus sabertooth mobo? What would my out the door price be?
It's knocking $80 off the motherboard's price, in addition to the already low CPU price. Any mail-in-rebates are just icing on the cake.

You can test it out by adding a 2600K to your shopping cart, then shop around for your favorite motherboard(s) then add that to your cart. You'll see the discount in your shopping cart. If you don't see the discount then the motherboard doesn't qualify. Pretty sure the deal is for Z68 motherboards only so i don't think it's going to work with the P67 based Sabertooth.

It's knocking $80 off the motherboard's price, in addition to the already low CPU price. Any mail-in-rebates are just icing on the cake.

You can test it out by adding a 2600K to your shopping cart, then shop around for your favorite motherboard(s) then add that to your cart. You'll see the discount in your shopping cart. If you don't see the discount then the motherboard doesn't qualify. Pretty sure the deal is for Z68 motherboards only so i don't think it's going to work with the P67 based Sabertooth.

The deal is only applicable to Z68-based motherboards; that said, it applies to *every* Z68-based motherboard - from the pricey to the dirt-cheap (such as the Biostar).

And at the resultant price-shelling Z68 takes, why settle for P67?

Even the pricier Z68 motherboards (especially ASUS) drop into the same price range as their P67 offerings (if not under them) thanks to this deal. If you were *already* looking bargain Z68 (as I was with the Biostar), it can actually drag the Sandy Bridge flagship CPU into consideration (because it reduces the spread over other CPU options considerably).

Paired with a Z68-based motherboard, i7-2600K is

$100 more than i3-2100
$30 more than i5-2400
$20 more than i5-2500K
$30 less than i7-2600 (non-K)

As such, it makes the i7-2600 non-K a non-factor; I mean, seriously - even if you have absolutely no plans on overclocking at all, you are actually going to pay more simply to avoid the temptation?

The deal is only applicable to Z68-based motherboards; that said, it applies to *every* Z68-based motherboard - from the pricey to the dirt-cheap (such as the Biostar).

And at the resultant price-shelling Z68 takes, why settle for P67?

Even the pricier Z68 motherboards (especially ASUS) drop into the same price range as their P67 offerings (if not under them) thanks to this deal. If you were *already* looking bargain Z68 (as I was with the Biostar), it can actually drag the Sandy Bridge flagship CPU into consideration (because it reduces the spread over other CPU options considerably).

Paired with a Z68-based motherboard, i7-2600K is

$100 more than i3-2100
$30 more than i5-2400
$20 more than i5-2500K
$30 less than i7-2600 (non-K)

As such, it makes the i7-2600 non-K a non-factor; I mean, seriously - even if you have absolutely no plans on overclocking at all, you are actually going to pay more simply to avoid the temptation?

asus z68-V + 2500k = $346

asus z68-v + 2600k = $411

confused where youre getting the $20 from

asus z68-V + 2500k = $346

asus z68-v + 2600k = $411

confused where youre getting the $20 from
2500K combos get a $40 discount, while 2600K combos get an $80 discount.

$306 vs $331 respectively

just picked up with asrock pro3 matx board that i've been using on my other 2600k board fine for 6 months, clocks up to 4.6 without problems and feature rich for a low cost board. with discounts the board ended up $34.99 and the CPU $279.99.

i also got the phenom II x4 840 for $99 with $50GC, and applied the GC to the 2600k purchase with 2 separate transactions so the phenom ended up $49.

LASTLY, the Antec 200 V2 is on sale for $39 with 20% off cases coupon and $10 rebate = $22 for a pretty decent case, and 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM for $20 - 20% coupon for $16. Spent more than I intended but every item was I'm sure below cost.

all i did was add the 2600K to cart, search for Z68 motherboards, and any one I added to cart was $80 less than the posted price. Worked for every mobo I tried adding.

It's still on, i just added a 2600K and a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and the board's price was cut in half.

Last edited:
I picked up 2 2600K's and a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 and a Gigbyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 for $695 after taxes. I priced on Newegg and I saved about $200. Both boards were 80 bucks off, so one board came to $35 and the other $60.

Gonna swap one of the 2600K's into my Maximus and see if I can hit the magic 5.0 Ghz on air.

Now all I gotta do is have my coworker stuff my dirty laundry and shoes into his checked duffle bag so i can fit this stuff in my carry-on for the flight back home.

It doesn't work for the cheapest Z68 motherboards when I try it with a 2500k. But does with 2600k.

What are the major differences between the 150dollar motherboards and the 100 dollar motherboards. And will this last till saturday?

Last edited:
It doesn't work for the cheapest Z68 motherboards when I try it with a 2500k. But does with 2600k.

What are the major differences between the 150dollar motherboards and the 100 dollar motherboards. And will this last till saturday?

my asrock extreme4 gets about 100Mhz extra overclock on the same cpu and has added features like 2 more USB ports, extra Marvell controller for 2 more SATA3 ports, 3.5" USB3 bracket for front of computer. up to you if you think these small things are worth $50-$75 more.

The offer only applies to the 2600K.

The offer runs until the end of the month (Saturday).

Usually the big differences are features (the higher-priced motherboards generally have the *cool* features, such as UEFI - exception; Biostar's TZ68A+RCH, the lowest-priced Z68-based motherboard MicroCenter carries, is full-sized ATX and supports UEFI, despite the $110 (before any savings/rebates) price).

Usually the big differences are features (the higher-priced motherboards generally have the *cool* features, such as UEFI - exception; Biostar's TZ68A+RCH, the lowest-priced Z68-based motherboard MicroCenter carries, is full-sized ATX and supports UEFI, despite the $110 (before any savings/rebates) price).
Don't forget about higher quality power delivery to CPU/mem. More phases, better individual power components etc.

For example that Biostar supposedly has less phases but uses better quality components which makes up for it to a degree, at least from i recall reading recently. A nice budget board imho.

Is there a flier in store that shows this sale or a link or something? I am going to be near one tomorrow and want to pick up the wife and son some new 2600K and Z68 boards. I don't want to get to checkout and find no deal and have to explain that I heard it from some people on some forums, so if there is a link or something, that would rock.

I picked up the 2600k and the Asus Z68-Pro board for $434.00. The $80 applied to this setup and i'm happy as a b*tch!

I have the non RCH version of that Biostar Board. Not a single regret using it except Newegg dropped the price $10 a week or so after I bought it. Overclocks great and unless you need the extras I don't think you can beat it.

Woot, just got back from Minneapolis and got both my son and wife a 2600k and P8Z68 Pro boards. I got the reduced price on one of the boards, but I think they might have forgot to charge me for the second board completely. It was definitely worth the trip, woot.

Back