Microcenter Handles Miner Purchases with Maxopricing

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We have talked about AMD trying to curtail huge cryptocurrency miners with it bundling approach and its RX Vega video cards at launch. Microcenter has cut through the BS and gotten right to the heart of the matter; "limiting" purchases. Of course you could buy as many as you want still... Thanks Zinn.

Check out the pic.

3+ at $10,000 each

I am so lucky to live in a place that has MicroCenter and Frys. I am on the bubble about whether to upgrade my 4790K when the 8700K comes out but Microcenter pricing might push me over the edge.

I was excited to see they had Vega 56's in stock when i checked my local ones website. Unfortunately they are at $599 and I don't need a new GPU badly enough to pay $200 above MSRP

Reactions: Mize
like this
So, order 3, put the Houston location as the pickup location, then contact Ken Paxton about §17.46(b)? ;)
Unless mining rigs are essential supplies these days...

I was asking one of the guys there about the $450 price they had on RX580 ~6 weeks ago. He mentioned the soft two per customer limit they did by increasing it to $10K

Not too hard to get around if you have more than two brain cells though (I'm not buying them up but if I were so inclined and was willing to pay the $100+ markup)

Welcome to bizaroworld, where the Prices of all computer hardware goes up after initial launch. I mean seriously, you cant even buy 5 year old stuff for less than new unless it says DELL on it or something.

3+ @ 10k with a limit per household...how do they plan to track that if I go into the store and buy them individually? Or online I place an order for 1 or 2 and use a single use credit card. Doesnt seem to hard to get around.

On the price itself...no idea if its good or bad since I am not tracking these cards given I dont need a new card for at least two more years.

I am so lucky to live in a place that has MicroCenter and Frys. I am on the bubble about whether to upgrade my 4790K when the 8700K comes out but Microcenter pricing might push me over the edge.
I'm in the same boat, but with E3-1240v3 in one box & i7-4770k in the other.

I'm in the same boat there's nothing so far my 4790K can't run but the new 8700K does sound tempting just have to wait on the [H] review. I love that Microcenter did this, I'm curious if anyone got smacked by it.

The purchase limit is tied to your physical home address/credit card.

I suspect you could do cash purchases 2 at a time repeatedly - until the checkout line staff caught on to seeing you go through the line multiple times.

Too bad Microcenter is price gauging Vega at +$100-200.
Even though you meant gouging, gauging is actually the correct word. It's still a free market.

I did laugh though when I saw the Vega 64 in the display case at $699.99, and then in the next case, 1080Ti's also at $699.99 but superior in every conceivable way.

Last edited:
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. They had an MSI Vega 56 for $599.99.

I'd like to switch to AMD at one point (CPU, GPU, FreeSync) but the retailers/miners aren't making it easy.

Not to mention Microcenter isn't doing the Black Pack thing with the discounts.

Been seeing the these signs for a while now at Microcenter. One of the reps that works there says it's something but not a real deterrent. People just bring a friend or two to get two cards each. Pay separately and all. Pretty easy to get around. The in store only is about the best thing really if a gamer actually wants to pay way over launch prices for Polaris at this point.

Shit like that is why I just swiped my card and didn't say anything when an associate marked a freshly received return from MSI with this tag.
4yAYWeF.jpg

I'm in the same boat there's nothing so far my 4790K can't run but the new 8700K does sound tempting just have to wait on the [H] review. I love that Microcenter did this, I'm curious if anyone got smacked by it.

Actually very much looking into the very same thing..waiting on reviews as well

It's more or less a joke. They have miners come in that bring in friends, a GF or Wife, kids ... they can't do anything about it.

It does stop a few people that come in trying to buy them out but I doubt this is a real issue now

Welcome to bizaroworld, where the Prices of all computer hardware goes up after initial launch. I mean seriously, you cant even buy 5 year old stuff for less than new unless it says DELL on it or something.
I take it you haven't perused many "ub3r 1337 gaming systemz" ads on Craigslist ;)

It's more or less a joke. They have miners come in that bring in friends, a GF or Wife, kids ... they can't do anything about it.
It does stop a few people that come in trying to buy them out but I doubt this is a real issue now

How nice to see how honest people are today.

When it comes to PC Hardware prices, ignorance is the killer. I'm stunned at how stupid Millennials are when it comes to the value of something, I mean pretty much anything. They seem to have zero ability to barter, to know the value and to make a trade

Last edited:
I have a brand new R9 290x sealed for $225 and a Like new XFX for $199 3 Fan Black / Copper Edition.

How nice to see how honest people are today.

When it comes to PC Hardware prices, ignorance is the killer. I'm stunned at how stupid Millennials are when it comes to the value of something, I mean pretty much anything. They seem to have zero ability to barter, to know the value and to make a trade
Damn millenials. They killed the brief case.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. They had an MSI Vega 56 for $599.99.

They are actually buying them from their vendor for about $508 a piece (which is above MSRP anyway) and they sent a corporate memo to not price match those cards against Newegg or Amazon because (and I'm paraphrasing), Newegg and Amazon are using some shady 3rd party distributor to get the cards for $399.

Back