Microcenter:Free MSI Z97 Gaming 5 after $10 rebate with purchase of intel CPU!!

We found the guy that took this deal to Slick Deals. Hang him. :p
:p Funny, but no, it wasn't me. I didn't even get in on this deal. I thought about it, but I already have too many boards and cpus as it is. My bank account needs a break for a while and I need time to tinker with what I have.

I went to my local MC and they said the deal was an error in the ad and that they were not honoring it.

Picked up a bundle @ MC in Mayfield Heights as well last week, thanks op. Sale rep said they knew it was a mis-print but were honoring the price. Also stacked with that retailmenot 10 off 50 coupon code.

I asked about replacement insurance direct from Microcenter but they said it would only cover the cost in the form of a gift card that I paid for the motherboard (only $10 haha), so it would have been a waste.

Funny that it was the salesperson telling me about the deal and yet at a different store, they don't honor the deal. So unlike.

Anyone get their system built yet? What are your impressions? As for me, mine is going back. I think I got a bad board. I didn't overclock anything and the system is pretty much unusable. Random blue screens, mouse and keyboard not detected, anytime the system was under load it would freeze. This isn't my first build either. I have built 100's of systems over the years. This was an amazing deal but I am going back to my previous setup which was rock solid.

No problems here... haven't started overclocking yet, been running stock since yesterday. Thrown all sorts of stability tests at it and used it normally, no issues.

No problems here... haven't started overclocking yet, been running stock since yesterday. Thrown all sorts of stability tests at it and used it normally, no issues.

I ended up taking mine back. I tried to get another board but they were sold out. I then tried to get an Asus board and pay the difference, but they wouldn't go for it. I am pretty happy with what I currently have (listed below). In the short time I had it "running" I couldn't believe the temps. So much higher than I anticipated. I have an H100i with push pull. My idle temps @stock were almost as high as my load temps with my FX-8350 overclocked @4.7GHz. I reseated the cooler a couple times and spent my entire weekend messing with it. Also my local network speed with the killer nic was horrible. I have a Gigabit home network and was trying to transfer some files to and from my server and was getting dialup speed. I am 90% sure the board was bad, but I think my wife was going to kill me if I kept messing with it. In the end I got my money back. I hope everyone else has better luck than I did.

Anyone get their system built yet? What are your impressions? As for me, mine is going back.

The mobo has the auto core voltage wayyyyyy too high out of the box. Both my coworker an I had problems with throttling and temps out of the box. The bios reports the auto voltage as 1.05 but core temp reports it as 1.275. On my machine I was able to get it stable at 1.05 his needed 1.10. Temps dropped dramatically for both of us.

I'm running a 212+ until my new WB gets here and he is running one of the xspc 3x120 cpu loop kits. At 4.6ghz i'm seeing about a 3k boost in my 3dmark fire strike score over my 2550k @ 4.8. Honestly I hoped for more but am not too disappointed considering I can sell my old cpu and mobo and only be out $100 for the upgrade. Seeing his temps under water @ 4.7 I plan on delidding the cpu when I install my new block. I knew these chips ran hot but this is crazy, as bad if not worse than my 920 @ 4.0 using twice the wattage.

People on forums seem to agree that you shouldn't use intel burn test or prime95 to stability test because it makes these cpus run unrealistically hot. That just sounds like ignoring the problem to me.

I just got am Asus Rampage V extreme there for 409 debating if I should return it back for this deal...

Got a 4690k combo and sitting at 4.8ghz with 2400mhz cl10 ram rock solid. Gained a good 10-15 fps in cpu limited games vs my old setup in sig.

Got a 4690k combo and sitting at 4.8ghz with 2400mhz cl10 ram rock solid. Gained a good 10-15 fps in cpu limited games vs my old setup in sig.

Good sir, that is quite the increase! Lets see, that comes out to...aaa, so around $214 for the combo if ya get the rebate back, aaa, roughly about $14 and some change per FPS increase. That sound about right? I'd say that's money well spent right? :D

Just messing with ya a bit. Enjoy it sir! I got the combo too, for a friend, just wished it was my deal. Almost regret not getting a couple.

That's surprising, I'd been holding back from upgrading since most everything I've seen and read says the clock-for-clock difference between my 2500k and a 4690k is negligible.... might be time to reconsider...

Regret not going and getting the combo when they still had it in stock.. :D Hope there will be another chance!

Good sir, that is quite the increase! Lets see, that comes out to...aaa, so around $214 for the combo if ya get the rebate back, aaa, roughly about $14 and some change per FPS increase. That sound about right? I'd say that's money well spent right? :D

Just messing with ya a bit. Enjoy it sir! I got the combo too, for a friend, just wished it was my deal. Almost regret not getting a couple.

Well I sold my old cpu/mobo/ram setup for 250 usd. So I actually came out ahead 35 bucks in cash :D

That's surprising, I'd been holding back from upgrading since most everything I've seen and read says the clock-for-clock difference between my 2500k and a 4690k is negligible.... might be time to reconsider...

Well, the clock for clock is around 8-15% depending on application, but I also went from 1600mhz cl11 to 2400mhz cl10 ram which also boosts cpu limited scenarios anywhere from 2%-15% itself. For example in Crysis 3 Welcome to the jungle level I got 10 more fps where all that grass physics is going on. Still not 60fps but going from 42 to 52 fps it feels alot smoother

Last edited:
Back