Microcenter - Free 32GB DDR5 kit with purchase of a Ryzen 4 CPU.

In-store only - I'd pick one up if there were a Microcenter anywhere near me. But it sounds like Ryzen 7000 prices will probably fall as nobody is buying them.

Last edited:
In-store only - I'd pick one up if there were a microcenter anywhere near me. BUt it sounds like prices Ryzen 7000 prices will probably fall as nobody is buying them.
I wonder what it is, is it the price of the CPU? or is the price of the available motherboards? The price of the CPU looks similar to what the price of the 5000 were when they came out.

I wonder what it is, is it the price of the CPU? or is the price of the available motherboards? The price of the CPU looks similar to what the price of the 5000 were when they came out.
Mr. JP wants to depress the economy and he is succeeding, this is an optional purchase for most Zen 3 users, I may have impulse bought but seeing the red in my portfolio daily doesn't make me wanna spend money on frivolous extras, just my $0.02.

The CPUs are probably $50-100 overpriced relative to raptor lake across the product stack based on current assumptions. I think the x670 motherboards are priced fairly well given the high-end specs, and are as low as $260. DDR5 is expensive but prices are dropping quickly, as evidenced by mircocenter being able to throw in 32GB for free on launch.

The apparent super long post times (shorter after the first training but still much longer than AM4) is also giving me pause, don't want a system that takes forever to boot, the X99 was a case in point.

Personally, I don't think there is enough of a performance increase for typical users to justify an $800-$2000 investment for a new mobo, RAM, and CPU. There might be for specific "content creators," but how many people honestly make up that group? For people gaming, using Office, using SAAS apps via the web, and even using 2/3 of Adobe Creative Suite you're looking at modest gains.
The prices aren't necessarily out of line, there's just not a ton of motivation for people to buy them when current parts are much cheaper and performing fine.

Personally, I don't think there is enough of a performance increase for typical users to justify an $800-$2000 investment for a new mobo, RAM, and CPU. There might be for specific "content creators," but how many people honestly make up that group? For people gaming, using Office, using SAAS apps via the web, and even using 2/3 of Adobe Creative Suite you're looking at modest gains.
The prices aren't necessarily out of line, there's just not a ton of motivation for people to buy them when current parts are much cheaper and performing fine.
This. I went through my inventory and the ~only~ possible place it'd be enough of a difference was my x399 box - same core count, faster, but with fewer PCIE lanes means I MUST buy a motherboard with 10G on it. And that raises the price to the point that the improvement... isn't worth it, really. Not yet. It's not really a replacement for my other HEDT boxes, and my x570/Z490 boxes don't need upgrades right now given their current use.

Anyone know if this deal is national or it is only in certain store? My Dallas store website doesn't show anything about this deal...
/Nevermind, I saw it. Pretty good deal if you're in the market for an AM5 build
1664558213218.png

It's the all-in (total cost) of CPU, MB, DDR5. And in a time when the market is already heavily saturated by excellent hardware that's barely slower.

Mr. JP wants to depress the economy and he is succeeding, this is an optional purchase for most Zen 3 users, I may have impulse bought but seeing the red in my portfolio daily doesn't make me wanna spend money on frivolous extras, just my $0.02.
Hell, I am still on Rocket Lake. I have no reason to upgrade.

They should of learned with the 12900k being able to run on DDR4/DDR5, that was Intel's lucky rabbit's foot getting poeple over to a new socket and new chip.

Cambridge MA Microcenter had a pretty decent 5600 MHz 32 GB kit for this deal, not the 4800 kit in the OP. Not the absolute top end but it’s a solid $200 kit. Picked one up today with a 7900X and X670E Taichi.

1664588385711.png

Edit: never mind, same deal as in the OP, but OP text calls it 4800 when it’s actually 5600.

Agreed it is 5600 not 4800.

G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-5600 PC5-44800 CL36 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F5-5600J3636C16GX2-FX5 - Black​

How tf does MC always have the best deals? Why doesn't other B&M stores adapt to their methods? Best Buy could surely out do anything MC does purely by having far more buying power.

Apparently 7950x sales are about normal for that level while the rest is abysal, which could point in part to the motherboards making sense for the high end but not for the 7600-7700 buyer, 5xxx being a drop in for so many people after years of the socket being around must have helped them quite a bit (same for how solid the motherboard offer was by then).

The 7900x being in a strange spot, in a may has well go for the 5950x range.

How tf does MC always have the best deals? Why doesn't other B&M stores adapt to their methods? Best Buy could surely out do anything MC does purely by having far more buying power.
It's a loss leader strategy - they will take a loss or near-zero profit on a deal on a CPU, and expect to make a profit from that person buying other parts for the rest of their build. There is no other chain of stores in the US that have a full stock of all types of computer parts - Best Buy isn't even close, Fry's used to be similar and used the same kind of aggressive pricing on CPUs.

Every time I go into a Microcenter there are multiple people with shopping cart(s) full of PC gear. Since you can't help but overhear their stories with the sales staff, bundle deals and discounts are often the inspiration. On at least a few occasions, that's motivated me to upgrade sooner than I planned, too. $150 off a $300 mobo if I buy a new CPU today only? Let's do this! It's a brilliant strategy considering how many people tack on fans, a case, drives, thermal paste, a GPU (at least now), etc.

Cambridge MA Microcenter had a pretty decent 5600 MHz 32 GB kit for this deal, not the 4800 kit in the OP. Not the absolute top end but it’s a solid $200 kit. Picked one up today with a 7900X and X670E Taichi.

View attachment 515281

Edit: never mind, same deal as in the OP, but OP text calls it 4800 when it’s actually 5600.

And G Skill. Even if cheap RAM that is essentially $100 off the price. For a decent kit that is around $250 for the CPU. I wish there was a Microcenter here. Or they offered these deals online.

They do have an interesting business model. Of course they want traffic to their physical stores so they keep the deals exclusive to those, but their online shop isn't really all that popular. But probably enough to keep the business afloat.

They should of learned with the 12900k being able to run on DDR4/DDR5, that was Intel's lucky rabbit's foot getting poeple over to a new socket and new chip.

While it's definitely a mistake for this generation I wonder if the reason they went DDR5 only is, partly, due to how long they're planning to support the AM5 socket. If they committed to DDR4 and DDR5 support now they'd be stuck with either supporting it for the entire life of the socket or dropping it after only one or two CPU generations and abandoning everyone that decided to save money and buy a DDR4 board. That would basically throw all of their marketing around lasting support and upgrade paths completely out the window. They might have thought it was better to make the jump now and take a small hit due to people thinking it was a bad call vs pissing off a ton of people later by dropping support.

Well, I was wrong. The deal is still good. I was just at the Chicago Central store today after work to pick up an open box AM5 board. I asked for a 7600X and RAM since I thought that was the cheapest option. The guy helping me said, "How about the 7700X and free RAM?" I couldn't believe it, I thought the deal was dead. It was not advertised anywhere that I could see, but the ram rang up at 0.01. Amazing deal. I know boards are expensive but this helps lower the overall cost a bit.

Being an American with a Micro Center in your general area must be a wonderful thing!
And you really dont realize how wonderful it is until one leaves, then you become a bitter person whenever you see a fantastic "in store only" deal pops up... well at least that is what I've heard not speaking from experience or anything

Nobody tries harder to keep their customers at retail then Microcenter.
True dat! They do a good job on the important things that I don’t mind going to the store. Although I’ve been lucky enough to have one within 30mins of me…

True dat! They do a good job on the important things that I don’t mind going to the store. Although I’ve been lucky enough to have one within 30mins of me…
I don't get how they can offer such deals. They are losing money on this deal big and time. I always believed PC hardware had pretty thin margins to begin with. Like even you built a entire new system it wouldn't cover the loss on deals like this.

I don't get how they can offer such deals. They are losing money on this deal big and time. I always believed PC hardware had pretty thin margins to begin with. Like even you built a entire new system it wouldn't cover the loss on deals like this.
They ahve been scalping ddr5 the entire time and it's actually just pennies to produce.

Nice deal... but hell I just upgraded my old x470 board to a 5700x earlier this year. Not looking to do a net new build just yet

"They" have been? Were they charging any different than Newegg or Amazon? They are literally giving away DDR5 as we speak.
I mean the market at large in a sarcastic manner has been scalping ddr5 the entire time thusly can afford to give the what is at heart cheap memory away free. is what i meant.

It could be some exclusive deal where AMD or GSkill is offering a rebate for Microcenter to help on cost. Or they are just throwing out a killer incentive to get traffic.

Back